Celebrate the First Annual Tortoiseshell Cat Appreciation Day on April 17

tortoiseshell-cat-appreciation-day

Black Cats have long had their special day – in fact, they have two days. Depending on who you ask, Black Cat Appreciation Day is celebrated on August 17 and October 27. And for many years, every year on those two dates, I have asked myself why there is no Tortoiseshell Cat Appreciation Day. Well, that’s about to change!

I declare April 17, 2020 the first annual Tortoiseshell Cat Appreciation Day!

I created this day in memory of Ruby. Why April 17? Because that’s Ruby’s adoption anniversary. Nine years ago, on April 17, 2011, I brought my precious little girl home.

Ingrid with Ruby

The day I picked Ruby up at her foster home

I never thought that she wouldn’t be here to celebrate her 9th adoption anniversary with Allegra and me. For those of you  new to The Conscious Cat, she passed away on December 18, 2019, after a brief illness.

In her memory, I call on all of you to celebrate torties in all their uniqueness and beauty. On April 17, let’s flood the internet with photos of our torties. Let’s turn Facebook, Instagram, and any other social  networks you’re a part of brown, tan, gold, black, cinnamon and all colors in between.

Let’s bring awareness to these often misunderstood cats and their tortitude.

Visit the official page of Tortoiseshell Cat Appreciation Day
for more information

Please help  me spread the word! On April 17, the internet will be a more beautiful place because it will be taken over by torties!

Ruby-big-eyes

I’d like to think that Ruby would love having a day in her memory that celebrates torties everywhere. In fact, she’s probably already planning on having an extra large helping of tuna cake, wherever she may be now.

Tortitude banner for posts with border

*I have applied for an official designation of this day from the National Day Archives, and my application is being processed. However, in the spirit of tortitude, and given how important it is to me to celebrate this day on Ruby’s first adoption anniversary after her passing, I’m pre-empting official approval and launching the celebration this year without an “official” designation.

24 Comments on Celebrate the First Annual Tortoiseshell Cat Appreciation Day on April 17

1. NancybOlson
    October 2, 2020 at 8:34 am (3 weeks ago)

I currently have my third tortie. All three were rescues and have had just wonderful personalities. They are the best. Willow and I will be happy to participate in a day honoring her and my former babies.

2. Candace Elias
    March 22, 2020 at 5:19 pm (7 months ago)

“ABOUT TIME” We had our OWN DAY!” says Willow & Piper…
    I received these two at PAC our shelter here in Tucson and YES they both have Tortitude!!! Willow is about 1-1/2 Years old with one eye and she is a Gorgeous Tortie with a half black face, where she had her eye removed, and the other half of her face is tan….Piper is Willows daughter and has big feet, extra toes in front, and only weighs 3.7 pounds, and eats tons and is also a Gorgeous Tortie!!! who plays constantly!
    I just HAD to tell everybody about my two Torties….I have had cats all my life but never Torties before!!! I am so in LOVE with Them!
    PS RUBY is at Rainbow Bridge but She still visits You!

3. Tim Oxford
    March 22, 2020 at 1:09 pm (7 months ago)

I think that would be great to have a day for the turtle shells. Mine is Ewock. fuzz ball looking like an Ewock. Rescued from a convenient store over a yr a go. in the middle of the night and when I got off work I and customers worked on chasing around in parking lot until we caught. Mostly indoor. How can people throw a week old baby kitten out in a parking lot. I will never understand this type of evil. I am blessed with this little gift of life and giving me purpose. i walk by and pet it every time for a few minutes and start to walk away and it grabs me with its claws to bring me back. She must be in love with me.

4. Jackie Pasquini
    March 20, 2020 at 10:14 pm (7 months ago)

What a wonderful idea and about time that the beautiful Torties are recognized. I do know that there is plenty of Tuna Cake up at the Bridge and Ruby will be sharing some with my Tortie Pumpkin. I know my Amanda and Sugar here with me are so excited to have their own “day”. A beautiful way to honor Ruby xoxox

5. Sweet Purrfections
    March 20, 2020 at 8:26 pm (7 months ago)

What a great idea! My previous Persian Cat, Praline, was a Tortoiseshell cat.

Can I use one of your logos on The Cat Blogosphere to announce this day in April? You can email us at sweetpurrfections@sc.rr.com.

6. Ellen Pilch
    March 20, 2020 at 8:25 pm (7 months ago)

My Penny is thrilled there will be a day for torties.

7. Debra
    March 20, 2020 at 7:41 pm (7 months ago)

Sounds good !
    I have a tortie !
    And i also lost a tortie very suddenly to cancer at only 6 years old. Heartbreaking.

• Sharon
      March 21, 2020 at 10:05 am (7 months ago)

What a purfect tortie day it will be. I lost my sweet Gabby a week ago. She had such tortitude. We have a diluted tortie but she doesn’t have the same tortie. She’s shy and reserved but just as beautiful. Can’t wait to see all the tortie’s.

8. Kim
    March 20, 2020 at 6:10 pm (7 months ago)

What a great idea! I agree, I bet Ruby is already planning for the celebration!

9. Mary McNeil
    March 20, 2020 at 5:32 pm (7 months ago)

EVERY day is Tortie Appreciation Day !

10. andrea meyers
    March 20, 2020 at 4:12 pm (7 months ago)

11. Lois J Corrigan
    March 20, 2020 at 11:19 am (7 months ago)

I love it. We have a Tortie. She is the poster child for what you say. Possessive, affectionate at times, but she bites & scratches without warning.
    We love her but are cautious about her sudden changes.

12. Melissa & Mudpie
    March 20, 2020 at 9:19 am (7 months ago)

YAY I can tell you how excited I am that someone is finally doing this!!!

13. Jeanne
    March 20, 2020 at 8:55 am (7 months ago)

Dilute tortis count too! Yay for tortis!

14. Amy
    March 20, 2020 at 8:05 am (7 months ago)

Hurray for torties everywhere! I can’t wait 🙂

15. Connie Fischer
    March 20, 2020 at 7:56 am (7 months ago)

What a lovely idea and a wonderful way to celebrate the special kitty that Ruby was!

16. Janine
    March 20, 2020 at 7:30 am (7 months ago)

I love this. It’s the perfect way to celebrate Ruby and all of the beautiful torties.

17. ALITA MAHALIDGE
    March 20, 2020 at 7:18 am (7 months ago)

Beautiful way to remember Ruby.

18. Nancy D
    March 20, 2020 at 6:37 am (7 months ago)

What a wonderful idea, my Amira says yes please do. This is a great way to celebrate Ruby an all these beautiful , funny and joyful creatures who share our lives.

19. Lynette Eggleston
    March 20, 2020 at 4:44 am (7 months ago)

I love it! This sounds great! I adore my feisty 3 legged torbie, Esme.

Our adored companions mean so much and are so important – I will be celebrating this day in memory of all beautiful torties❤️❤️❤️ Darling Ruby, every life matters and you were precious

20. Jenny Garber
    March 20, 2020 at 4:39 am (7 months ago)

Great idea Ingrid! Bella and I will be very happy to join in. Special cheese and tuna for Bella, and I can raise a glass to her, the other torties who have enriched my life, to lovely Ruby and torties everywhere! Thanks

21. Summer
    March 20, 2020 at 3:50 am (7 months ago)

Oh man! I wish Binga was here to see this.

22. Eleanor Skibo
    March 20, 2020 at 1:23 am (7 months ago)

Ruby would be absolutely delighted to have a day in her honor. Very very nice idea, however, I have to add if Ruby can still whisper in Allegra’s ears, she would be saying, ‘big sister, I have a day in my honor, how about that, see if you can top that.’

23. Angela Gosselin
    March 20, 2020 at 1:18 am (7 months ago)

<3 <3 <3