freddie-for-a-day-cats

The Freddie For A Day initiative was created to support the work of the Mercury Phoenix Trust, which was established in 1992 by Brian May, Roger Taylor and Jim Beach in memory of Freddie Mercury. It is a core part of Queen and Freddie’s legacy.

Since its inception, the organization has been funding grassroots HIV/AIDS organizations around the world, principally targeting young people in the developing world.

What is Freddie For A Day?

Freddie For A Day is a celebration of Freddie Mercury’s life. Launched in 2010, it is held every year on September 5, Freddie’s birthday. People around the world dress up as Freddie, don mustaches, and hold gatherings, all designed to raise awareness and funds to continue the organization’s important work.

Allegra and Ruby want in on the celebration!

Ruby:  ♪ Mama, just killed a mouse. Bopped my paw against his head, batted him around and now he’s dead. Mama….  ♪

Allegra: Ruby, I’m begging you, shut up!

Ruby: What? I’m just singing that song that Mom loves so much!

Allegra: You’re not supposed to sing. We’re supposed to tell people about Freddie For A Day.

Ruby: Who’s Freddie? I thought it was Ruby For A Day.

Allegra: rolls eyes.

Ruby: Oh. Freddie Mercury? He’s the famous guy Mom is crazy about who had a lot of cats?

Allegra: That’s the one, Ruby. In case you  haven’t figured it out yet, Mom is a huge Queen fan, and she thinks that Freddie Mercury was the best rock singer that ever pounced across a stage. And even better, he was a huge cat lover!

Ruby: I love him, too! How can  we help? ♪ We are the champions, we are the champions, no time for tuna, ’cause we are… ♪ Wait, what? No time for tuna?

Help us support the Mercury Phoenix Trust

We would love it if you would help us raise contributions to the Mercury Phoenix Trust! You can do so in a number of different ways.

Leave a comment on this post

We will donate $1 for each comment left on this post to the Mercury Phoenix Trust.*

Buy my books

I will donate my royalties for all books sold in the month of September. You can buy my books on Amazon and anywhere books are sold. You can purchase autographed and personalized copies directly from me (please email me for details.)

Make a direct donation

You can also donate directly to the Mercury Phoenix Trust. For more information, please visit their website.

We’d love it if you would help us spread the word by liking and sharing this post across your social networks.

Thank you for supporting something that is near and dear to our hearts. Happy Birthday, Freddie! We love you and miss you.

New book, coming out September 5

freddie-mercury-a-life-in-his-own-words

Just in time for Freddie’s birthday, Freddie Mercury: A Life, In His Own Words** is being reissued with more than 8,000 new pages of new material. I read the original version of this book, and it was wonderful. Compiled by Queen’s official archivist, it reads like an autobiography. You can almost “hear” Freddie talk.

buy-from-amazon-blue

* Donation will be limited to $1 per comment up to 100 comments

***The Conscious Cat is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. This means that if you decide to purchase through any of our links, we get a small commission.

26 Comments on Freddie For A Day: Celebrate Freddie Mercury and Help Raise Funds for the Mercury Phoenix Trust

1. Julie Blaskie
    September 17, 2019 at 4:54 pm (1 month ago)

I just saw the updated posts, and I purchased the book via the link above! Glad to see this book! Thank you, Ingrid!

September 17, 2019 at 4:57 pm (1 month ago)

You will love it, Julie!

2. Lisa M Barrett
    September 3, 2019 at 1:35 pm (2 months ago)

I made a small donation in honor of your request so no need to make another donation, just wanted to let you know 🙂

September 4, 2019 at 5:12 am (2 months ago)

Oh Lisa, thank you so much, that is so kind of you!

3. Stephanie B
    September 3, 2019 at 1:19 pm (2 months ago)

I missed this post, but am seeing it now. Very cool, love what this is about! Thanks for sharing!

4. Nanci
    September 2, 2019 at 8:27 pm (2 months ago)

Freddie may be gone, but he lives on in his songs. Fantastic voice !
    His love of cats makes him SUPER spectacular!

5. Betty
    September 2, 2019 at 12:48 pm (2 months ago)

Happy Birthday Freddie. We love and miss you! Great post Ingrid. And hello Allegra & Ruby. Pawtastic costumes! I hadn’t heard of this organization either but it’s not surprising it was founded considering Freedie’s love of cats. I saw the new movie “Bohemian Rhapsody” 3 times!

6. Maggie
    September 2, 2019 at 7:24 am (2 months ago)

Loved Freddie and this post. I hope I’m not too late to the party.

7. Geri Fowler
    September 1, 2019 at 10:58 pm (2 months ago)

What a wonderful idea, celebrating Freddie Mercury and helping cats! Allegra and Ruby are too cute. Happy Birthday Freddie Mercury! He is sorely missed.

• CAThy
      September 2, 2019 at 12:53 am (2 months ago)

Wonderful generous donation in his honor as a fellow cat lover! His music transcends generations; my now 34 yr old youngest son bought “Best of Queen” while still in high school! Of course I was able to enjoy his music in real time. I was so excited to see the kitties included in the movie about his life. We miss him–what a performer!!

8. M
    September 1, 2019 at 10:39 pm (2 months ago)

Since “Donation will be limited to $1 per comment up to 100 comments” and it is only at 15 at the moment (Plus lovin’ me some Queen and cats), count me in and make that 16 now!

9. Eleanor Skibo
    September 1, 2019 at 9:56 pm (2 months ago)

Freddie Mercury was quite the man that even started from boyhood. Freddie always knew what he wanted and that someday he would become a huge success. Singing in front of 300, 000 people, wow, wow! Wouldn’t you Ruby, and you, Allegra, say wow, wow? And by the way girls, both of you look smashing just absolutely smashing. That was also very kind of both of you to help out with the Freddie Mercury Trust Fund, Allegra, and Ruby. Ingrid have sweet dreams about the love of your life, and it was kind of you also. Love all three of you!

10. Kim
    September 1, 2019 at 6:58 pm (2 months ago)

Thank you for supporting this important cause. I had not heard of this day or this organization before. I like Ruby’s versions of the songs, too! 😉

11. Debra
    September 1, 2019 at 6:28 pm (2 months ago)

I also didnt know about Freddie for a day. Thanks for the onfo and for the creative post !

12. Monica W
    September 1, 2019 at 5:56 pm (2 months ago)

Had not heard about Freddie for A Day. Thank you for sharing. Extra tuna for Ruby’s catification of the Queen songs.

13. Steph
    September 1, 2019 at 3:20 pm (2 months ago)

Absolutely love Freddie! Unbelievable talent & spirit. His love of cats says volumes about his heart too. Thanks for featuring this post in honor of his birthday

14. mountainkiddo
    September 1, 2019 at 3:13 pm (2 months ago)

Such a creative post for such a creative artist! You match his creativity Ingrid!! Thank you for the post and the reminder that Freddie lives on!!

15. Alexis
    September 1, 2019 at 2:33 pm (2 months ago)

Freedie was the greatest singer, writer and frontman ever. Still miss you Freddie and thanks for educating your kitties on Queen!

16. Karen
    September 1, 2019 at 1:42 pm (2 months ago)

Bohemian Rhapsody was wonderful! Thanks for setting up this fund! Still needed!!

September 1, 2019 at 1:04 pm (2 months ago)

I never knew they set up this fund. Thanks for the post.

18. Tiger
    September 1, 2019 at 11:10 am (2 months ago)

Admirable cause. Thanks for doing.

19. Pat
    September 1, 2019 at 10:01 am (2 months ago)

Huge Freddie fan! Thanks for doing this.

20. elena
    September 1, 2019 at 8:28 am (2 months ago)

Happy BDay Freddy! We both love cats and I Love your music. So Sorry you aren’t here with us anymore…

21. Janine
    September 1, 2019 at 7:10 am (2 months ago)

I have never heard of this day before. What a great way to honor Freddie. Ruby deserves extra tuna for her singing skills. 🙂

22. Lana Verplank
    September 1, 2019 at 1:35 am (2 months ago)

Besides absolutely adoring and loving Freddie and Queen I am honored to share my Birthday of September 5th with him!! And of course my Love of cats!! Have 4 lovelies now! Was 5 but sadly, ironically lost Bella our Russian Blue to FIV complications and Toxoplasmosis. Shared and tweeted! I should dress up on that day too!!! Lol

23. Julie Blaskie
    September 1, 2019 at 1:30 am (2 months ago)

Allegra & Ruby, how cute to dress up like Freddie! Ruford says he is too old to dress up, but he wants to hear Queen songs! Great way to remember Freddie! Happy Birthday, Freddie! Love you and miss you! Nice video, Ingrid!