Mews and Nips: AI Powered Cat Door Prevents Cat From Bringing Presents Inside

ai-powered-cat-door

If you have an indoor/outdoor cat, you’ve probably received the occasional not so welcome present inside your home. Ben Hamm, a senior product manager at Amazon, developed a cat flap that will block his cat Metric from bringing his prey inside the house. Hamm fed 23,000 images of Metric to Amazon’s machine learning service SageMaker. If the tool detected Metric approaching with prey in his mouth, the door would lock. For more about this AI powered cat door, visit Gizomodo.

Allegra and Ruby are indoor cats. Allegra brings me her special mouse every day, and I love that she does this. As much as I wouldn’t want “live” presents in my house, I’d worry about offending the gift giving kitty!

If you missed any of the stories featured on the Conscious Cat this week, here’s a recap: on Monday, we shared a first hand account of what it’s like to live with a diabetic cat, on Tuesday, we told you that the Hauspanther Collection is now available on Amazon, on Wednesday, we ran the second in our multi-part series Yochabel’s Wisdom, on Thursday, we celebrated Independence Day, and on Friday, we paid tribute to Binga the tortie.

Today’s video of a kitten jumping into her crib when she’s ready for her bottle provides cuteness overload and then some – enjoy!

Have a great weekend!

Photo via Gizmodo

contribute banner ad

7 Comments on Mews and Nips: AI Powered Cat Door Prevents Cat From Bringing Presents Inside

1. Eleanor Skibo
    July 7, 2019 at 1:05 pm (1 week ago)

Nifty invention, especially for those beloved cats who think so much of us humans they want to shower us with gifts. However, I have to agree with you, Ingrid, I much rather prefer the rubberized or cloth gifts our cats gift us with inside of our homes, such as Allegra bestows upon you, Ingrid.

2. World Of Animals, Inc.
    July 6, 2019 at 4:48 pm (1 week ago)

That cat door is pretty awesome. Good for kitties that explore the outside. The video is just the best. Running right into the crib for feeding time. Thanks for sharing. Have a great day.

3. Mary McNeil
    July 6, 2019 at 3:30 pm (1 week ago)

That kitten video is wonderful !
    My worry is not cats bringing in prey – it’s the local wildlife finding their way in !

July 7, 2019 at 5:17 am (1 week ago)

Mary, you can get a cat door that can be programmed to your cat’s microchip and will lock out all other animals: https://amzn.to/2RXJelR

4. Marie
    July 6, 2019 at 7:32 am (1 week ago)

A cat door provides access to a cat’s safe indoor territory. To lock her out out is cruel. Expecting a cat to distinguish between when her door will open and when it won’t is selfishly human. And you could be denying her access from bigger creatures that view her as prey. And the instinct to catch prey and give it as a gift is natural and should be respected.

5. Janine
    July 6, 2019 at 7:24 am (1 week ago)

Miss Kiki brought me her lobster toy this morning. I love getting presents in bed and glad my cats don’t go outside. I fear the thought of what they would bring if they did go outside.

July 7, 2019 at 5:19 am (1 week ago)

I feel the same way, Janine. I love it when Allegra brings me her special mouse. I doubt I’d feel that way if it was the real thing…