Ruby’s Reflections: Contributing to Science

cat-ladder

Hi everyone, it’s Ruby! You’re never going to guess what happened. It has to do with being smart, and with helping mankind, and contributing to the greater good!

Do I have you on the edge of your seat yet? Good. Because this is big! Okay, drum roll please! (Okay, maybe not drum roll. I don’t really like loud noises. But you get the idea.)

I’m so smart that my photo was used in a scientific paper!

No, I’m not kidding. A couple of months ago, Mom got an email from a mathematician in Austria who was working on a paper titled “Automated reasoning in elementary geometry: towards inquiry learning.” Don’t ask me what any of this means – and don’t ask Mom, either. Math has never been her strong suit. Anyway, the researcher found my photo during a Google search, and asked Mom for permission to use it in his paper.

cat-ladder-math-paper

Apparently he’s using the example of a cat falling off a ladder to highlight whatever point he’s making in his paper. “A second task we highlight is the locus of a falling cat that is sitting at a fixed position on a ladder which is sliding down a wall. The task is to determine the geometric movement of the cat. This example is actually a reformulation of the trammel of Archimedes, also known as an ellipsograph, that produces an elliptic motion.”

math-paper-graph

Whew, lots of big words, huh?

But seriously, how totally cool is this!

Allegra: Just because your photo was used doesn’t mean you’re smart, Ruby.

Ruby: That’s Dr. Ruby, Ph.D. to you, Allegra!

Allegra: sighs. I knew this was going to go to your head, little one.

Ruby: And here you thought you were the smart one in this family!

Allegra: rolls eyes.

Ruby: Mom, this means I get tuna every day now, right?

Ingrid: I have to be honest, I’m just as tickled as Ruby about this. I certainly never thought I’d be cited in the reference section of a scientific paper, and most definitely not a math paper. I was a pretty good student, but my forté was languages, not math. I barely passed math in high school.

You can find the link to the full paper here.

Cat Ladder Feline Furniture

cat-ladder

For more information about the ladder Ruby is sitting on, please read Cat Ladder Review: Catification at its Best. And stay tuned for a review of a new cat ladder soon!

contribute banner ad

12 Comments on Ruby’s Reflections: Contributing to Science

1. Glogirly Cats
    January 9, 2019 at 10:43 pm (8 months ago)

OMG, Ruby!!! We are so impurressed. Is that a word? Maybe not, but it should be!
    Concats to you and Ingrid!

2. Catatopia
    January 9, 2019 at 7:09 pm (8 months ago)

Congratulations, Ruby! That sounds like one scientific paper we might want to read… or at least look at the pictures.

3. Debra H.
    January 9, 2019 at 5:52 pm (8 months ago)

Ruby is a superstar !! Where’s her Oscar?

4. silvia shanahan
    January 9, 2019 at 4:49 pm (8 months ago)

Thank you for the cat ladder website….I have been looking for something that is not a clunky cat tree, and this is great….so flexible and attractive
    And thank you, Ingrid, for all the great product reviews.
    SSilvia

• silvia shanahan
      January 9, 2019 at 4:53 pm (8 months ago)

ps to cat ladder…
      Ingrid, how high is that dining room cabinet? It looks like you have the ladder with 7 steps ?
      I have a bookcase here that would be perfect to use for this

January 10, 2019 at 6:41 am (8 months ago)

Yes, our ladder is the 7-step ladder. You can find details about how to figure out which size ladder would work for you on the FAQ page on the Cat Ladder website.

5. Nan Faulkner
    January 9, 2019 at 8:45 am (8 months ago)

Congrats Ruby! Can’t forget Allerga and Mom too!

Milo, Grayson, Nan

6. Janine
    January 9, 2019 at 8:37 am (8 months ago)

This is really cool, Miss Ruby. You’re famous now. But, honestly, I don’t understand math either.

7. Diane B
    January 9, 2019 at 7:58 am (8 months ago)

You’re a superstar, Ruby. congrats!

I give credit to you Ingrid for trying to explain the theory 🙂

8. Maria T
    January 9, 2019 at 4:22 am (8 months ago)

Oh Ruby, you should be proud to be seen in that science article, as long as the mathematician doesn’t suggest you should actually fall off the ladder, that would be pushing it too far.

9. Angela Gosselin
    January 9, 2019 at 2:51 am (8 months ago)

Very cool!! Purrrrfessor Ruby lol. Beauty, Brains & Tortitude. The classic Triple Threat!! 😉

10. Raine
    January 9, 2019 at 1:43 am (8 months ago)

That’s really pawsome! We don’t understand any if the science part and our mom says she gets what it’s about but has no clue about all of the details. That’s crazy your photo popped up and is being used for science in an Austrian paper. Thanks for sharing!