Kitty Box Ramp: Make the Litter Box More Accessible for Your Senior Cat

kitty-box-ramp

This post contains affiliate links*

Senior cats may need special consideration when it comes to litter boxes. Most seniors will have some degree of arthritis, a common condition that affects as many as 3 in 10 cats. It is often not diagnosed in cats because it is difficult to recognize even for the most dedicated cat guardian. Litter box avoidance may be a symptom of arthritis, since getting in and out of the box can be painful for a cat with aching joints.

Litter box solutions for senior cats

You’d think that pet product manufacturers would have realized that there’s a market for creating a litter box that makes entry easy for senior and arthritic cats, but to date, I have not found one designed specifically for older, arthritic cats. My theory is that it’s because, sadly, litter boxes are usually designed with human sensibilities in mind with not enough thought given to what cats want and need in a litter box. A litter box with lower sides will most likely be messier. As a result, cat guardians often have to get creative.

We previously covered alternatives to traditional litter boxes that can be good options for senior cats. Now, there’s another option that will allow you to continue to use your existing high-sided litter box and still make life easier for your senior kitties.

Kitty Box Ramp Features

The Kitty Box Ramp can be used with virtually any litter box, and can be adjusted to three different heights. This patent pending ramp is made in the USA from 100% recycled and recyclable corrugated material. Replaceable tread pads with an easy grip surface help make kitty feel secure while walking up and down the ramp. It can be used by cats up to 20 pounds.

kitty-box-ramp

Available in three different colors, you can even match the ramp to your litter box or decor.

kitty-box-ramp

The Kitty Box Ramp ships flat and requires some minimal assembly.

The Kitty Box Ramp is available from Amazon.

buy-from-amazon-blue

*The Conscious Cat is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. This means that if you decide to purchase through any of our links, we get a small commission. We only spread the word about products and services we’ve either used or would use ourselves.

Pretty Litter

8 Comments on Kitty Box Ramp: Make the Litter Box More Accessible for Your Senior Cat

1. NB
    January 10, 2019 at 3:42 am (2 weeks ago)

I wonder if my cats would go ON the ramp? Has anyone had this experience?

2. Allison
    January 8, 2019 at 12:34 pm (2 weeks ago)

Bookmarking this idea for when my cats are seniors. Thanks!

3. Mon
    January 8, 2019 at 11:29 am (2 weeks ago)

This seems great for rear paralyzed cats…I had so much trouble building something for mine that would work. There are so many paralyzed cats. Maybe a wider version for them? Also seems great for wobbly cats.

4. NancyE
    January 8, 2019 at 11:00 am (2 weeks ago)

This is FABULOUS! I had to let my older, arthritic kitty go a month ago – but I’d definitely have bought this for him. As it was I used the lowest box I could find that would contain the litter – no Flip box for him, like the other kitties.

5. Janine
    January 8, 2019 at 8:39 am (2 weeks ago)

This is such a good idea. I had a cat years ago that got where he wouldn’t go in the box. We ended up using newspapers in front of the box for him. I don’t know if doggie pee pads were available back then or if we just didn’t know about them. It was a long time ago. This ramp would have been perfect for him.

6. Fur Everywhere
    January 8, 2019 at 6:03 am (2 weeks ago)

I cannot tell you how hard I had to look for a litter box Lita could actually get into without a lot of pain! It was so disheartening. The box I eventually found was marketed for small dogs, not cats! It has one ver low side, which seemed to help her a lot. I cannot believe how few options there are for arthritic cats.

If Carmine needs more assistance getting into the litter box as he ages (he’ll be 14 next month!), I’ll definitely get one of these ramps. I’m so glad someone is thinking about our aging feline friends. 🙂

7. Summer
    January 8, 2019 at 4:37 am (2 weeks ago)

My human first saw these at CatCon a couple of years ago – and she loves this idea so much!

8. Bonnie
    January 8, 2019 at 1:11 am (2 weeks ago)

I cut down the front of the box and filed it. That works too. It’s hard to get a ramp that fits the box es I have. Thanks for the suggestion.