How to Help Animals Affected by the Northern California Wildfires

aspca-animal-rescue-california-wildfires

For the past weeks, some of the largest wildfires ever seen have devastated parts of Northern California. For most of us, our thoughts not only go to the many people who have lots their homes, but also to the animals, especially the cats, affected by these fires. Thankfully, there are many organizations that are helping with animal rescue efforts, and they can all use our help.

ASPCA

At the request of the Lake County Animal Care & Control and its animal disaster response team, Lake Evacuation & Animal Protection (LEAP), the ASPCA is on the ground in Lake and Mendocino counties, assisting local agencies with field rescues and emergency sheltering for cats, dogs, birds and livestock displaced by the wildfires currently spreading across the area. LEAP and ASPCA responders will continue checking individual residences for pets and livestock left behind, as well as conducting wellness checks requested by pet owners to provide food and water for their animals who may be in need. Click here to make a donation.

cats-california-fires

Two of the cats being cared for by Haven Humane Society

Haven County Humane Society

The Haven County Humane Society in Anderson, CA has taken in and is treating numerous cats with burns. You can see some of the cats they’re working with on their Facebook page.  You can donate through their Facebook page or website.

Update on our Carr Fire babies. Everyone is looking better today. Even our small fry was finally able to open her eyes….

Posted by Haven Humane Society on Friday, August 10, 2018

Photo at top of post via ASPCA, all other photos via Haven Humane Society Facebook page

New Dr. Goodpet banner

11 Comments on How to Help Animals Affected by the Northern California Wildfires

1. Jeannine
    August 17, 2018 at 10:27 pm (4 months ago)

Haven Humane sent most of the animals that were in their care prior to the Carr fire to rescue groups and shelters in the Bay Area and Sacramento area. No animals were euthanized to make room for the fire victims.

2. Lilo Huhle-Poelzl
    August 15, 2018 at 3:44 pm (4 months ago)

Hi, Ingrid,

Thank you for giving links to websites where we can donate for animals affected by the California wildfires. I was waiting for such info, and we’ll certainly donate.

We ourselves (living in Utah) have been evacuated with all of our animals (15 cats, 2 dogs, 8 chickens) since July 3rd, when we received a mandatory evacuation order due to a wildfire that threatened the escape route from our canyon. The mandatory evacuation order was lifted about an hour later because the wind direction had shifted, when we had just all of our 15 cats in our bug-out vehicle (a small school bus purchased for this purpose). Yet we decided to go ahead and evacuate anyway for the time of the wildfire season (probably until the first significant snowfall), as this had been the 3rd wildfire threatening Happy Cats Ranch since May, when we had to drop everything and return in a hurry from Salt Lake City, where we had been for doctors’ appointments.

We are lucky to have a fairly comfortable place to evacuate to (a rental property we own in town, which had been vacant since May of last year). The cats are now fairly accustomed to the new place, and we let them out when we are home (even though the place is in a subdivision within city limits, where actually only 4 pets are allowed). We had a kennel for the dogs built in a hurry (because our dogs are not house-clean and also take off at every given chance). The chickens were moved to a suitable facility where our petsitter lives, on the other end of town. Unfortunately, there was a fatality. The rooster (who had to be kept separate from his hens because he was very aggressive towards some hens) suffered a heat stroke the day after the chickens had been evacuated (during the night) because my husband had figured out the shade wrong in the dark. While this rooster had been nothing but trouble, we felt terribly sorry for him.

We ourselves have been rotating between 6 properties, taking care of our animals and plants. We are totally exhausted. And because of the smoke from the huge wildfires in Utah, Nevada, and California, I battle with asthma. Thank God for antihistamines! (Btw, I am only affected by the smoke that smells like burnt toast, which I assume is from burnt-down houses. Wood smoke does not affect me.) Yet we are so lucky in comparison to other people affected by wildfires.

Lilo

P.S. How is this lady (suffering from cancer) doing who has this cat road-circus? We had wanted to donate, but since we have been hopping from one calamity into another (including health problems), we never got around to donate. Would you still have the link to her website handy?

P.S.

August 16, 2018 at 5:38 am (4 months ago)

Oh my goodness, Lilo, what a challenging time for you! I’m glad everyone is okay, but so sorry about your rooster. I’ll be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers for sure. Thanks for asking about Samantha – she’s doing well! The surgery was successful, and it sounds like she may not need any follow up treatment. Here’s the link to her GoFundMe page: https://www.gofundme.com/save-our-mom-acrocats-cancer-fund

3. Margaret Babcock
    August 15, 2018 at 11:47 am (4 months ago)

Thank you for letting us know about donating. I just made a small donation but I know every little bit helps. I would hate the thought of one of my fur babies to be in this horrible situation. I feel for all the people and animals. I am from Houston and when Harvey hit was so grateful to Friends for Life setting up shelters for the animals with the people that had to evacuate. I’m glad more and more people realize that the pets need protecting too.

4. Kat
    August 15, 2018 at 9:34 am (4 months ago)

God bless all the responders and especially those folks who are trying to take care of the all the missplaced, injured and confused animals…ALL OF THEM! there are soooo many out there, I just cant imagine!!!!

Sometimes those animals who experience disaster of this magnitude, are forgotten or left behind, its so sad, even the wild animals.

Thanks to the many folks who are also making donations to these organizations taking care of the animals and the people. I will do my part also…hope many more of you will contribute even a smidgen, every little helps somewhere. Say prayers for all these unfortunates in these disasters…..

5. Janine
    August 15, 2018 at 7:53 am (4 months ago)

My heart breaks for all effected by these fires, but especially the animals.

• Lilo Huhle-Poelzl
      August 15, 2018 at 3:49 pm (4 months ago)

This is exactly how I feel.

6. NB
    August 15, 2018 at 3:39 am (4 months ago)

I heard they “cleared the shelter” at one of the fire zones, to take in animals from the fire. I hope that didn’t mean they euthanized the animals who were in the shelter. I hope that they found fosters for them, as well as the fire victims.

7. Raine
    August 15, 2018 at 2:39 am (4 months ago)

So much pain and loss, thank goodness for organizations like this. I feel for the wildlife also. Thank you for sharing, I reshared everywhere and donated what I could. It’s not much but every little bit helps.

August 15, 2018 at 5:20 am (4 months ago)

Thank you for sharing, Raine.