the-feline-mystique-clea-simon

When I first read The Feline Mystique: On the Mysterious Connection Between Women and Cats in 2002, I never in my wildest dreams imagined I would one day meet the author, become friends with her, and review her books on my own website. In 2002, Amber, the original conscious cat and the inspiration for this website, had only been in my life for two years. I wouldn’t meet Buckley until 2005. I can’t recall just how many times I read the book back then, but I do remember that it had a profound effect on me.

The Feline Mystique examines the bond between cats and women from all angles – from history and mythology to interviews with cat women from all walks of life. It is also a memoir of the seventeen years Simon spent with Cyrus, the kitten she adopted as a young single woman, and who would later appear in her Dulcie Schwartz mystery series as Mr. Grey.

This is a joyful book, celebrating the role cats play in women’s lives. For me, this book also planted a seed, even though I wasn’t even really aware of it at the time. I didn’t realize just how much this book had influenced me until I started thinking about writing Buckley’s Story: Lessons from a Feline Master Teacher.

In what was an incredible leap of courage for me at the time, I contacted Clea and asked whether she would consider providing a book blurb for Buckley’s Story. I held my breath. She requested sample chapters. And then the email with her endorsement arrived – a moment that was almost surreal. My first book had just received an endorsement from a writer I had admired for years. Talk about a dream come true!

If you are a woman who loves cats, or if you want to better understand a woman who loves cats, The Feline Mystique is a must read.

The Feline Mystique is available from Amazon in various formats.

books banner for posts

*The Conscious Cat is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon and affiliated sites. This means that if you decide to purchase through any of our links, we get a small commission. We only spread the word about products and services we’ve either used or would use ourselves.

9 Comments on Classic Cat Books Series: The Feline Mystique: On the Mysterious Connection Between Women and Cats

1. Clea Simon
    March 4, 2018 at 3:25 pm (1 year ago)

Thanks so much, Ingrid! I’m honored to be in this company!

March 5, 2018 at 6:19 am (1 year ago)

My pleasure!

2. Allison
    March 2, 2018 at 6:46 pm (1 year ago)

Great review! Even if I didn’t own cats, I think I’d need to buy The Feline Mystique. I can tell how much this book has personally impacted you.

I picked The Feline Mystique up at a book sale a few years back. It’s still on my list to read and you’ve certainly encouraged to move it up my list.

3. Melissa & Mudpie
    March 2, 2018 at 11:35 am (1 year ago)

I loved this book! I read it years ago and still remember it so well.

4. Connie Fischer
    March 2, 2018 at 9:26 am (1 year ago)

Thanks so much for the heads-up on this book. I have just found a copy of it and look forward to reading it. I love to read books about cats because I always learn something new and it helps me to better understand and care for my three kitties. Thank you again.

5. Maria
    March 2, 2018 at 9:00 am (1 year ago)

This book sounds really interesting. I have ordered three books that you have recommended, and today my copy of “the Fur person” arrived. Thank you Ingrid, I will enjoy reading it.

6. Pierre L'Allier
    March 2, 2018 at 4:16 am (1 year ago)

My human also re-read the Feline Mystique recently and loved it. He has just acquired some of Ingrid King’s books and is looking forward to reading those.

7. L Pugh
    March 2, 2018 at 4:11 am (1 year ago)

Many thanks for your recommendation. I look forward to reading this book. Also, I am eagerly awaiting the arrival from Amazon UK an old hardback copy of My Patients Under the Bed which you also recommended a short while ago. I appreciate your recommendations, please keep them coming. I enjoy your blog. Thanks so much.. LSP

8. Summer
    March 2, 2018 at 2:25 am (1 year ago)

My human read this book many years ago… long before she too met Clea! And funny enough, they have a rock journalism connection too.