Conscious Cat Sunday: Never Say “I Don’t Have Time” Again

i-don't-have-time

“I don’t have time.” It’s probably the most overused excuse we hear every day, and most of us are guilty of using it liberally.

Yes, we’re all busy. The standard answer to “how are you?” no longer seems to be “I’m fine,” but rather “I’m so busy!” Many people seem to consider being busy a badge of honor. Our culture reinforces that busy is somehow good. Being busy, supposedly, is one of the marks of someone who is successful.  And as a result of being so busy, we all feel that we don’t have time.

And yet, we all have the same 24 hours in a day. The same 24 hours that Richard Branson, Mark Zuckerberg, Oprah and insert every successful person you admire have. So why do we skip breakfast, exercising, time with family and friends, vacations, and other things that matter to us? It’s time to eliminate this phrase from our vocabulary once and for all, and here’s why:

It’s all about priorities

The reason you don’t exercise is not that you don’t have time. It’s because it’s not a priority for you. The reason you put off getting together with friends is not because you don’t have time. It’s because it’s not a priority for you. The reason you don’t return phone calls or emails is not that you don’t have time. It’s because it’s not a priority for you.

You have the time you choose to have. You have the time you make.

Life is short. A busy life is not necessarily a fulfilled life. If your life is filled with schedules and to do lists, if you don’t make time for the things that really matter to you, you will never be happy.

Change your language

Instead of saying “I don’t have time,” try saying “it’s not a priority right now.” I have time to exercise today, my physical and mental health is just not a priority right now. I have time to have dinner with my family tonight, catching up with how their day went is just not a priority right now. I have time to return my friend’s phone call, talking to him is just not a priority right now.

Try it on for size. If it doesn’t feel right to you, that’s the point. Changing your words reminds you that how you spend your time is a choice. Start making conscious choices about what matters to you, and own those choices, rather than hiding behind the tired old “I don’t have time” excuse.

And if you need some help, look to your cats for guidance. Most cats wouldn’t know what “I don’t have time” means. You’ll never find a cat thinking “I’m too busy to play right now.” They know that the only thing that matters is whatever happens in the present moment.

8 Comments on Conscious Cat Sunday: Never Say “I Don’t Have Time” Again

1. Deb
    November 27, 2017 at 8:50 am (2 years ago)

Sure is food for thought. Guess I won’t be saying ‘ no time ‘, without questioning my priorities. Which is a good thing.
    Thanks!

2. caren gittleman
    November 26, 2017 at 8:36 pm (2 years ago)

that is wonderful advice and I am going to try that. I AM guilty of saying that phrase that I am going to try not to say!

November 27, 2017 at 6:02 am (2 years ago)

It’s really hard not to say it – it’s so ingrained in us!

3. Lisa Barrett
    November 26, 2017 at 5:29 pm (2 years ago)

Excellent post and something I have been very guilty of saying to myself a lot lately. Thanks for the reminder and I like your suggestion for a change of language.

4. mountainkiddo
    November 26, 2017 at 3:18 pm (2 years ago)

Oh! You are so right on with this!! It is interesting that as soon as you start using that excuse, you actually start to feel like you don’t have time for anything! I soon realized that my stress and anxiety were due to using this phrase, because deep inside my subconscious believed I didn’t have time. And it applied that to everything, not just those things I was using the excuse for. So I didn’t have time to start the new business, didn’t have time to learn new things, certainly didn’t have time for friends and family. Then I learned about the power of suggestion and the power the subconscious has over us. And I vowed I would never use that phrase again. And yes, it is definitely about priorities. Using a good list management tool will help you prioritize and suddenly you feel better and look! You now have time for friends and family, and all the things you didn’t have time for before. Plan it into your lists/priorities!
    Thank you Ingrid for posting this! I’m going to share it in my workshops!!!

5. Barbara Crawford
    November 26, 2017 at 9:49 am (2 years ago)

Love this. ❤️

6. Linzy
    November 26, 2017 at 3:35 am (2 years ago)

Fantastic read

• ellen kabat
      November 26, 2017 at 10:51 am (2 years ago)

What a wonderful reminder Ingrid. Thank you. So very helpful.