Homemade Knits Bring Attention to Shelter Cats

tortoiseshell-cat-knitted-scarf

Do you love to knit? So do Meg Flippin and Meghan Heffron, the founders of Three Cats and a Dog. They collect handmade knits to highlight shelter animals’ inner cuteness and engage communities in the lives of these animals. Donations of handmade sweaters, bandanas, blankets, and the like are used to bring attention to animals in need of homes.

Penelope, the beautiful tortie shown in the photo above, had been at the Animal Welfare League of Arlington for almost a year. Three weeks after the shelter posted a the photo with her sporting a gorgeous handknit yellow bow, Penelope found her forever home. “We can’t for certain claim it was the picture,” says Meg, “but I know one of the shelter volunteers thought the picture did the trick.”

cat-blanket

The donated items are also used as blankets in cat enclosures, and even as beds for little kittens.

kitten-bed

You can find the patterns for Penelope’s bow, the blanket, the kitten bed, and more on Ravelry.

For more information about Three Cats and a Dog, please visit their website.

All photos provided by Three Cats and a Dog, and used with permission

6 Comments on Homemade Knits Bring Attention to Shelter Cats

1. Melissa & Mudpie
    August 9, 2017 at 6:24 pm (3 months ago)

So sweet! I sure wish I was able to do things like this but I’m hopeless when it comes to anything crafty.

2. Kaiden
    August 9, 2017 at 12:40 pm (3 months ago)

Hello! I’m a big fan of your website and I have a question. I know the importance of raw and wet food but there is no possible way for me to feed my cats wet or raw food on a daily basis with my lifestyle. So dry food is my only option. I’d like to know what the best and healthy dry food I could buy is. I’ve seen in a previous comment from a long time ago you said natures variety Instinct raw boost or ultimate protein but I’ve seen on chewy.com that they had a slight ingredient change. So that leaves me unsure if it’s still the best option. I just want the best for my kitties and it sucks that I’m not able to do raw anymore because of my new job. So if you could reply it would mean the world to me. Thanks!

August 9, 2017 at 1:10 pm (3 months ago)

If you absolutely must feed dry, Dr. Elsey’s new Clean Protein is probably the most acceptable dry food on the market right now.

3. CarolMcK
    August 9, 2017 at 9:23 am (3 months ago)

Every gift to the shelter cats is a blessing, Janine. Thank you for the donations!

4. Janine
    August 9, 2017 at 8:15 am (3 months ago)

I wish I knew how to knit or crochet to make cute stuff like this to donate. All I can do is give towels or blankets.

August 9, 2017 at 7:28 am (3 months ago)

Glad the handmade knits are helping.