Mews and Nips: Beloved Library Cat Fired from His Job

library-cat

Browser, the beloved library cat of the White Settlement Public Library in a Fort Worth, TX suburb, will be fired from his job because the town council recently decided animals are no longer allowed in public buildings. The library mascot has until July 14 to find a new home. The mayor of White Settlement is planning to appeal the decision at the July 12 council meeting. For more about Browser and the controversy his firing has caused, visit ABC News.

Update: At an emergency meeting Friday afternoon, the council voted unanimously that Browser can stay.

If you missed any of the stories featured on the Conscious Cat this week, here’s a recap: on Sunday, we reflected on whether cats can be a mirror of ourselves, on Monday, we told you how you can tell whether your cat is in pain, on Tuesday, we featured a new app for cat lovers, on Wednesday, we gave you 7 signs that might indicate that your cat has ADHD, and we also told you about Jackson Galaxy’s 1,000 mile journey to save dozens of kittens, on Thursday, I shared some of my personal highlights from CatConLA, and on Friday, we asked you to help Lil BUB make her dream of a video game come true.

Is your cat a toilet paper artist? Today’s video shows one of the most talented ones I’ve seen!

Photo of Browser via White Settlement Library’s Instagram

contribute banner ad

16 Comments on Mews and Nips: Beloved Library Cat Fired from His Job

1. Monica Ackerman
    July 14, 2016 at 1:36 am (4 years ago)

As long as people outlive animals we will always grieve over losing a pet. Years ago I had to make the decision to let our dog Alex go. He had an inoperable brain tumor at age 14. 5 years ago I lost my very first cat Maxximus to an undiagnosed sudden illness at age 11. I will never forget either of them. It took my other two cats a long time to get over losing Maxxi. We would all three of us sit on my bed and mourn him. Me, crying and they consoling me. But that’s no reason not to allow animals into our lives and love them for as long as possible. They need us as much as we need them.

2. Rosalie Smith
    July 3, 2016 at 2:18 am (4 years ago)

To all “Conscious Cat” readers. Today,July 2,2016 was a very sad day for me , as I said farewell to my beloved, beautiful Siamese Mix of almost 13 years, “Snow”. She was chocolate/cream with light blue eyes and an absolute sweetheart! The diagnosis – Lymphoma which affected her GI Tract. I miss her, and always will! My other cat “Torti” (10) senses the loss. Please keep us in your prayers, Thank you

• Diane Ricciardi Stewart
      July 3, 2016 at 3:25 am (4 years ago)

Rosalie, I so feel your pain. In 50+ years of having kitties (currently 12 adopted/rescued kitties), I have lost many. . . sending out love and prayers for healing, peace and comfort at this most difficult time. . . ♥

July 4, 2016 at 5:33 am (4 years ago)

I’m so sorry about Snow, Rosalie. My heart goes out to you.

3. robert wagers
    July 2, 2016 at 2:55 pm (4 years ago)

Only in Texas. You can take all the guns you want into public buildings, but not a cat?

4. Lurchie
    July 2, 2016 at 11:58 am (4 years ago)

“Browser!” What a great name!

5. Jenifer Crawford
    July 2, 2016 at 11:58 am (4 years ago)

Hi, I live in this town, and it was unanimously voted at the special meeting that Browser would remain at the library!

July 2, 2016 at 5:19 pm (4 years ago)

That’s wonderful news!

• Diane Ricciardi Stewart
        July 3, 2016 at 3:27 am (4 years ago)

woo hoo!!! ♥♥♥

• Tricia Anderson
          July 8, 2016 at 8:34 am (4 years ago)

Best news I’ve read today! We said good-bye to our 19-year-old “boy cat” BC on 7/6/2016 and I am grieving. He was such a good cat & will be forever missed. I found this website about a week ago and it has provided me comfort. Thank you all!

July 8, 2016 at 4:29 pm (4 years ago)

I’m so sorry about BC, Tricia.

6. Ann
    July 2, 2016 at 10:23 am (4 years ago)

I hope that everyone who reads this story will go to the online petition & sign it. The more a spotlight is shone on this bureaucratic B.S., the harder it will be for these 3 (yes, just 3!) Council members to discriminate against Browser.

7. Janine
    July 2, 2016 at 7:25 am (4 years ago)

This is close to my area and I saw the story on the news last night. They said he is allowed to remain in the library because everyone loves him.

8. Summer
    July 2, 2016 at 3:51 am (4 years ago)

I really hope the decision the council made Friday to keep Browser sticks – I will be keeping an eye on this story!

9. Diane Ricciardi Stewart
    July 2, 2016 at 3:39 am (4 years ago)

Ingris, I just got an update. Browser is *safe* — for now. Hopefully, we can keep it that way. . . ♥♥♥

• Diane Ricciardi Stewart
      July 2, 2016 at 3:39 am (4 years ago)

oops — *Ingrid* not *Ingris. . . — just got home from work. . .