Conscious Cat Sunday: Principles to Live by, Just for Today

tortoiseshell-cat

Wouldn’t it be nice to have just a few principles that, if you were to follow them every day, would ground you in the here and now, help you weather the storms life throws at you on a daily basis, and make your life happier? Short of becoming cats, who have already figured out that ultimately, it’s always about living in the moment, these five simple principles can help.

Just for today, I will not be angry.

Just for today, I will not worry.

Just for today, I will be grateful.

Just for today, I will do my work honestly.

Just for today, I will be kind to every living being.

These five principles, sometimes also known as the five precepts, are one of the tenets of Reiki. Reiki is an energy therapy that originated in Japan. The word Reiki (pronounced “ray-key”) is a Japanese composite word usually translated as “universal life energy”. It is based on the idea that all living beings have life energy flowing through them. When life energy is high, you, or your cats, are healthy and balanced, more relaxed and less likely to get sick. When it is low, cats and humans alike will be more easily affected by stress and less resistant to illness. Reiki helps return the body to its natural state of balance and well-being.

These “rules to live by” are based on the teachings of Mikao Usui, who developed the practice in the 1920’s, but you don’t have to be a Reiki practitioner, or even believe in the practice, to apply them to your life.

I believe that these deceptively simple words can shift your energy in a big way. Letting go of anger quickly, not wasting energy worrying about the future, practicing gratitude, and living authentically by doing one’s work with integrity all contribute to a life that flows. Kindness and compassion to others is, of course, the ultimate golden rule. We’re all in this together, and our actions always affect others.

I bet many of you are already incorporating these principles into your life. If you’re not, try it, even just for one day, and watch what happens. You may just find that you’ve become more peaceful, more content, and happier.

Of course, our cats seem to have already figured this out. Perhaps the feline version of the Reiki principles would look a little different (just for today, I  will catch the red dot?), but at the heart of the matter, it’s all about living in the moment, in living for today. And there’s no question that cats are masters at that.

Interested in learning more about Reiki? Click on the image below to visit my Healing Hands website.

cropped-HH-header-darker

13 Comments on Conscious Cat Sunday: Principles to Live by, Just for Today

• Caren Gittleman
      August 16, 2015 at 12:56 pm (4 years ago)

oh and I meant…on ME…not actual “work work”

August 17, 2015 at 6:12 am (4 years ago)

I did figure that out, Caren ;-).

1. Glogirly
    August 16, 2015 at 11:00 am (4 years ago)

This was just what I needed this morning. I have a lot of work to accomplish today and your beautiful post has put my mind in just the right place.
    xo

August 17, 2015 at 6:13 am (4 years ago)

I’m glad this post helped set the tone for your day, Debbie.

2. Lola The Rescued Cat
    August 16, 2015 at 10:16 am (4 years ago)

EVen as a Reiki Master Teacher, I still have to remind myself of these principles from time to time. Thanks for today’s reminder.
    Dawn

August 17, 2015 at 6:13 am (4 years ago)

I’m glad I’m not the only one who needs reminders, Dawn!

3. Dorothy
    August 16, 2015 at 8:52 am (4 years ago)

My first though was, Reiki is like the Force. It seems that even when I am sincere I am also a smart ass. But, by the time I finished your article I knew I needed to say thank you. Sometimes what I need to hear comes from the most surprising place. Blessed be.

August 17, 2015 at 6:14 am (4 years ago)

You’re welcome, Dorothy – and I love your comment about Reiki!

4. Cindy & Pipers
    August 16, 2015 at 6:56 am (4 years ago)

I think the only thing Piper worries about is not getting fed on time. I on the other hand, need to be reminded about not worrying so much (especially the next couple of weeks). The rescue is making their debut at a huge week long event. I have all the confidence in the world in the volunteers, but until I get everything in place, I admit I am uptight. Once we are there I know I will be able to relax, work hard and enjoy it.

Thank you for reminding me that I need to let it go. I will head out on the patio to relax and have my coffee. Just for this moment, I will stop worrying about the event. I will enjoy the serenity of a Sunday morning.

Happy Sunday to you, Ruby and Allegra!

August 17, 2015 at 6:16 am (4 years ago)

I hope your Sunday turned out to be relaxing, Cindy.

• Cindy & Pipers
        August 19, 2015 at 7:11 am (4 years ago)

It did. I got several things accomplished and then I decided to relax. I curled up on the couch with a good book and caught my breath. I worked on a word puzzle which forced me to concentrate, so I couldn’t worry about other things. Again thanks for the reminder.

5. Sam Cee
    August 16, 2015 at 3:10 am (4 years ago)

Loved this post! I’m starting a Reiki course this September and I cannot wait 🙂