Remembering Lorie Huston, DVM

lorie

Life is fragile and precious, and everything can change in an instant. Earlier this week, the pet community was reminded of this when it suffered a devastating loss: Lorie Huston, DVM, passed away suddenly after becoming critically ill.

Lorie was one of the most accomplished women I have had the pleasure of knowing. A  dedicated veterinarian, this certified veterinary journalist not only practiced full time, she also wrote for multiple publications, including her own Pet Health Care Gazette. Most recently, Lorie served as the president of the Cat Writers Association. Even though Lorie cared for and wrote about all animals, she had a soft spot for cats. She shared her life with six of them.

Lorie was an occasional guest contributor to The Conscious Cat, writing about topics ranging from litter box preferences to emergency preparedness for cats.

But I knew Lorie as more than just an accomplished veterinarian, writer and pet industry professional. Lorie was one of the kindest and most generous people I’ve ever met. She was always happy to provide advice, whether it was answering questions about social media, blogging and marketing, or helping out with quotes for articles I wrote. I was honored when Lorie provided a wonderful endorsement for my book Adventures in Veterinary Medicine.

I will treasure my memories of spending time with Lorie at various conferences. I will never forget her smile and her open and warm personality. But most of all, I will remember her kindness and generosity. Lorie was a shining star in the pet community.

Sudden loss like this leaves you reeling. It makes you re-evaluate everything. Our friend Dorian Wagner of Your Daily Cute posted this on Lorie’s Facebook page, and it captures perfectly what has been going through my mind as I’m trying to process this loss: “Whatever you want to do with your life, do it. Don’t wait till later. Whatever you want to say, say it. Take chances. Do things that don’t necessarily make sense. Get as much life as you can out of every single minute. Love, live, feel, play, rest, all of it.”

I didn’t know Lorie all that well, but to me, it seemed like that’s exactly how she lived her life. Rest easy, Lorie. You will never be forgotten.

20 Comments on Remembering Lorie Huston, DVM

1. Glogirly & Katie
    October 5, 2014 at 1:11 pm (5 years ago)

What a beautiful tribute to Lorie. I didn’t know her well either, but the few times we met, she made me feel like I’d known her forever. There was just this wonderfully caring and compassionate way she had. She was so genuine and down to earth. What a heartbreaking loss.

She’s one of those special people I will always remember.

~Glogirly

2. Deb Barnes - Zee and Zoey
    October 4, 2014 at 12:55 pm (5 years ago)

She will be truly missed and held such a special and unique spot in the hearts of those that knew her…

3. Debi
    October 4, 2014 at 12:57 am (5 years ago)

So sorry for your loss. It’s interesting how our perception changes with the death of someone close to us. It can be a special gift.

4. Ace
    October 3, 2014 at 11:50 am (5 years ago)

I am so sorry!! She left a wonderful legacy and her caring loving energy remains and goes forward in the hearts and actions of the many she left behind, who loved her

October 3, 2014 at 5:31 pm (5 years ago)

You are so right, Ace.

5. Mason Canyon
    October 3, 2014 at 8:25 am (5 years ago)

Such an amazing lady. She will truly be missed by so many. I only knew her through a number of emails, but she came across as a happy, outgoing person always helpful. Ingrid, a lovely tribute to her.

October 3, 2014 at 5:31 pm (5 years ago)

Thanks, Mason.

6. Caren Gittleman
    October 3, 2014 at 8:16 am (5 years ago)

Beautiful and moving tribute Ingrid. I just adored Lorie as I love you. I held her in the utmost esteem. She was a trusted friend (I also wasn’t “close” as many were), but I was able to talk to her and trust her implicity. She was and IS forever a shining star.
    Much love, Caren

October 3, 2014 at 5:30 pm (5 years ago)

Thank you, Caren. Love you, too!

7. toni / rctees
    October 3, 2014 at 7:50 am (5 years ago)

Ingrid, this is just heartbreaking. Yes, life is short and we all take things for granted (or I know I do). This is a lovely tribute to an obviously lovely person. We should all strive to have people remember us in such a wonderfully positive way. Big hug!

October 3, 2014 at 5:30 pm (5 years ago)

Thanks, Toni. What a lovely thought that we should all strive to remembered in a positive way.

8. Michelle Wolff
    October 3, 2014 at 7:04 am (5 years ago)

What a heartbreaking loss! This is a beautiful tribute to her life, Ingrid.

October 3, 2014 at 5:30 pm (5 years ago)

Thanks, Michelle.

9. S F
    October 3, 2014 at 5:11 am (5 years ago)

So sorry for your loss.

Diana, rikki and Lucy

October 3, 2014 at 5:29 pm (5 years ago)

Thank you, Diana, Rikki and Lucy.

10. Safepethaven
    October 3, 2014 at 1:21 am (5 years ago)

This is a tragic loss for so many. I have battled chronic & serious illness for decades so have had the time to make provisions for my own numerous special-needs cats in the event they out live me. As a DVM, surely Lorie’s pets will continue to receive loving care but how many out there have insured the guardian & financial care for their pet family?

October 3, 2014 at 5:29 pm (5 years ago)

It is a poignant reminder of how important it is to provide for the care of our feline family members, should the worst happen.

11. Margaret
    October 3, 2014 at 1:06 am (5 years ago)

“Whatever you want to do with your life, do it. Don’t wait till later. Whatever you want to say, say it. Take chances. Do things that don’t necessarily make sense. Get as much life as you can out of every single minute. Love, live, feel, play, rest, all of it”. These are words we should all live by. I’m sorry for your loss, Ingrid.

October 3, 2014 at 5:28 pm (5 years ago)

Thank you, Margaret.