Remember Me Thursday: Light a Candle for a Pet

Rmember me Thursday

The Helen Woodward Animal Center is asking pet lovers around the world to participate in its global awareness campaign by helping them remember the millions of orphan pets who lost their lives over the last year, and by bringing awareness to the millions of healthy pets who are still awaiting adoption. The campaign encourages individuals to light a candle on September 26th (you may want to use an electric candle or do this virtually – cats and candles don’t mix well!) and opt to adopt, reducing the millions of orphan pets euthanized each year.

There are many different ways in which you can participate in Remember Me Thursday:

• Spread the word about this campaign on your social media channels. Use hashtag #lightforpets
  • Change your Facebook profile picture to the Remember Me Thursday icon
  • Organize or attend a local pet candle lighting ceremony
  • Light a candle at the Virtual Candle Gallery
  • Educate others about the joys of adopting

For more information, please visit Remember Me Thursday.

The Helen Woodward Animal Center is a private, non-profit organization where “people help animals and animals help people.” Founded in 1972 in Rancho Santa Fe, Calif., the Center provides services for more than 57,000 people and thousands of animals annually through adoptions, educational and therapeutic programs both onsite and throughout the community.

10 Comments on Remember Me Thursday: Light a Candle for a Pet

1. Laura Hoffman
    October 18, 2013 at 8:17 pm (6 years ago)

I will always remember. Your memories shall forever be a blessing.

2. The Island Cats
    September 26, 2013 at 7:32 pm (6 years ago)

I was a shelter cat. But I was one of the lucky ones…I found a furever home. I’m purring for all those shelter kitties who weren’t as lucky as me.

Ernie

3. Caren Gittleman
    September 26, 2013 at 7:32 pm (6 years ago)

we lit ours and did a post as well, it’s a most impawtant day.

4. Ingrid
    September 26, 2013 at 6:15 pm (6 years ago)

Thank you, all, for participating in this event, and for sharing on your social media sites. Awareness is the first step toward change, and campaigns like this one do make a difference!

5. Maxwell, Faraday & Allie
    September 26, 2013 at 6:01 pm (6 years ago)

This is especially poignant given that the last full week of September is also deaf pet awareness week – and so many deaf pets are considered less adoptable.

So we’re lighting our candle on behalf of them…and for all other differently-abled cats who may be blind, wobbly, tripod, hypothyroid, have radial hypoplasia – or any number of other conditions that cause shelters to euthanize.

Too many were never given the opportunity to know a loving forever family because they were different in some way. We’ll hug our Maxwell extra tight tonight – in remembrance of them.

6. Angela Gosselin
    September 26, 2013 at 1:18 pm (6 years ago)

I changed my facebook cover photo to Remember Thursday theme =^..^= In memory of…..

7. Viki Worden
    September 26, 2013 at 12:33 pm (6 years ago)

What a wonderful idea!!!! I will light a candle when I get home. I keep my candles up where my cats can’t bother them. While I am watching TV I will be able to look at the candle and think about all the innocent furbabies that need our help. I am sharing posts constantly on facebook for dogs and kittys that need homes. A lot of shelters still euthanize if these babies aren’t rescued or adopted within a certain timeframe. I also shared this on facebook so my friends can see it and maybe do something for our furry friends.

September 26, 2013 at 11:21 am (6 years ago)

I lit a candle and shared on FB, Twitter, and google +. I hope all animals can get good homes.

9. Texas
    September 26, 2013 at 10:27 am (6 years ago)

We too hope it will help, if only a bit.
    Purrs

10. Marg
    September 26, 2013 at 9:59 am (6 years ago)

This is such a good idea. If only we could figure out a way to get the word out to all people that have cats and dogs to get them spayed and neutered. It is so important and would help keep the shelter numbers down.