Conscious Cat Sunday: holiday favorites

cat-christmas-tree-cute

Last week, we talked about holiday traditions. This week, I wanted to talk about some holiday favorites of mine, and hear about yours. I also needed a good excuse to share this photo of Ruby in front of our now fully decorated Christmas tree. Much to my surprise, neither Ruby nor Allegra have shown much interest in the tree, so I got daring and hung the rest of the ornaments. So far so good!

Here are some of my holiday favorites:

Favorite song: Do They Know It’s Christmas by Band Aid (I’m really dating myself with this one!)

Favorite movie: Bill Murray’s Scrooged

Favorite cd: Christmas Eve and Other Stories by Trans-Siberian Orchestra

Favorite book: The Cat Who Came for Christmas by Cleveland Amory

Favorite food: Tuna! Tuna! Tuna!

Looks like Allegra and Ruby snuck in here when I wasn’t looking! Actually, it’s a tie between marzipan and Lebkuchen (the German version of gingerbread)

What are some of your favorites? Please share in a comment!

22 Comments on Conscious Cat Sunday: holiday favorites

1. Linda G
    December 13, 2011 at 7:44 pm (8 years ago)

I read that book -The Cat Who Came For Christmas, by Cleveland Amory years ago and loved it. It was funny and entertaining and heart warming. Another of his books “The Cat and the Curmudgeon” was just as great. I would recommend it for anyone who enjoys reading and likes cats.

December 13, 2011 at 7:48 pm (8 years ago)

I love the entire series by Cleveland Amory, Linda – they’re all wonderful.

2. Esme
    December 12, 2011 at 10:08 pm (8 years ago)

Ingrid, I was in undergrad I think when the song came out-I graduated high school the year John Lennon was killed-I still remember studying for finals when the news came out on the radio-it was a beautiful eve with the snow falling-I love the Band Aid song. So that is me dating myself. I love doing holiday baking-that is my Christmas tradition.

December 13, 2011 at 6:36 pm (8 years ago)

I remember helping my parents decorate their Christmas tree when I heard the news about John Lennon. It’s one of those moments we’ll all remember forever.

3. DeniseL
    December 11, 2011 at 10:24 pm (8 years ago)

That is a beautiful photo of Ruby in front of the tree! My girls would always attempt to demolish any tree (real or fake) within seconds of turning my back.

My favorite Christmas song is also “Do They Know It’s Christmas”…
    It’s a tie for my favorite movie – Love Actually and The Polar Express…
    My favorite Christmas CD is the Roger Whitakker Christmas Album (and, I’ll admit, Christmas with Boney M)…
    My favorite Christmas book is “Santa’s Evil Twin” by Dean Koontz…
    And lastly, my favorite food at Christmas is my mom’s butter tarts….I wish I could make them as good as she used to…

Happy Holidays everyone!

December 12, 2011 at 10:18 am (8 years ago)

Thanks, Denise! Thanks for sharing all your favorites. I had to look up Boney M, but boy, once I did, did that ever bring back memories!

4. caren gittleman
    December 11, 2011 at 9:07 pm (8 years ago)

I may be Jewish but my ex-husband was Catholic and I absolutely ADORE Christmas! I always have. I think it is such a beautiful and magical holiday.

One of my all time favorite movies is “A Christmas Story”….a good portion of it was filmed in Cleveland and back in the day when I was in my 20s (I am also dating myself lol) I used to wait for the bus to go to work outside of the department store where the window scenes were filmed.

I also love “A Christmas Carol”, “The Grinch Who Stole Christmas”….yes…true to form many of my favorites are quirky and silly like my personality!

Kudos to your girls for being so well behaved with the tree!

December 12, 2011 at 10:16 am (8 years ago)

I love “A Christmas Story,” too, Caren – it’s on the “must watch” list each holiday season.

• Cynthia Southern
        December 13, 2011 at 1:19 am (8 years ago)

“You’ll shoot your eye out.”

Ingrid and Caren, “A Christmas Story” is the funniest Christmas movie ever. I find myself talking to others about it and quoting lines from it verbatim. My favorite is the one above and the Dad saying he has won a major award when he won the leg lamp for completing the crossword puzzle correctly with his Wife’s help of course.

5. Cynthia Southern
    December 11, 2011 at 4:21 pm (8 years ago)

I also put up a leg lamp on my desk every Christmas now. I bought one last year as I love the movie, ‘A Christmas Story’ so much. I also love my collection of nutcrackers from small (4 inches to 2 feet).

• Cynthia Southern
      December 11, 2011 at 4:22 pm (8 years ago)

I meant to say I also love my collection of nutcrackers from small to large (4 inches to 2 feet).

6. Cynthia Southern
    December 11, 2011 at 4:19 pm (8 years ago)

Favorite song: Silent Night (Stille Nacht) I love the German version.

Favorite movie: A Christmas Story

Favorite cd: All the Mannheim Steamroller Christmas cds

Favorite book: A Christmas Story by Jean Shepherd

Favorite food: peppermint bark, marzipan and clementines

December 11, 2011 at 4:46 pm (8 years ago)

Clementines! Yes! I always look forward to the first crate of season of the ones from Spain – they’re just so much better than any of the others!

• Cynthia Southern
        December 12, 2011 at 9:58 am (8 years ago)

I bet the Spanish clementines are wonderful!

7. Montana
    December 11, 2011 at 11:12 am (8 years ago)

Ingrid I love the picture of Ruby in front of the tree! We always take pictures of Montana when we have our tree fully decorated too!

Ironically my favorite Christmas song is “Do they Know It’s Christmas” also. I even still have the VHS tape of the making of the song that I bought when I was a teenager in the 80’s LOL!

My two favorite traditions are making the sugar cookies I made with my Grandma as a kid and Christmas Eve at my parents where the family gathers to make tamales!

Joanne

December 11, 2011 at 1:58 pm (8 years ago)

I’m happy to see another vote for “Do They Know It’s Christmas,” Joanne! I’d love to see a photo of Montana with your tree – feel free to post on our Facebook page.

8. Katnip Lounge
    December 11, 2011 at 10:24 am (8 years ago)

I loved (and still enjoy) my Mom’s sugar cookies, decorated with icing and sprinkles!

December 11, 2011 at 1:57 pm (8 years ago)

They sound wonderful, Trish!

9. Sammy, One Spoiled Cat
    December 11, 2011 at 8:59 am (8 years ago)

I bet Ruby and Allegra want to stay on Santa’s “NICE” list so they’re trying really hard not to be too “paws-on” with that pretty tree!!

Pam (and Sam)

December 11, 2011 at 1:56 pm (8 years ago)

Ah, so that’s the reason!

10. Max the Quilt Cat
    December 11, 2011 at 5:28 am (8 years ago)

That’s a wonderful tree…. The boys would have it UN-decorated in a minute.

pawhugs, Max

December 11, 2011 at 1:56 pm (8 years ago)

I’m still amazed that my two are not showing any interest, Max.