Mews and Nips: Rearchers Study Big Cat’s Roar

Daniel the polydactyl

My favorite story of the week was reported by the Huffington Post. Daniel, a cat with 26 toes, chose Amy Rowell, the executive director of the Milwaukee Animal Rescue Center, as his human by tapping her on the head with his big paw when she walked by his cage. He is now inspiring donations to help keep the center alive. The center is in need of a new home after the mall it was located in raised the rent to make room for retail stores. The 26-toed feline is inspiring $26 donations to help cover the $40,000 down payment on an alternative building. Read the rest of the story on The Huffington Post.

roaring tiger

I bet you never thought that a big cat’s roar is similar to a human baby crying for attention (although at much higher volume!). Researchers at the National Center for Voice and Speech, which is administered by the University of Utah, found that roaring is similar to what a baby sounds like when it cries. While the comparison was not part of the study, speech scientist Ingo Titze says a baby “cries to have people come to help it. The lion uses similar attention-getting sound, but mainly to say, ‘I am here, this is my territory, get out of here.'” The study found that lions’ and tigers’ fearsome roars are due to their unusual vocal chords. Read more about the study on Science Daily.

Kindergarden cat

The coolest kindergarden ever is located in Wolfartsweier, Germany. I first saw this on Catsparella, and I just had to find out more. The building was designed by French artist Tomi Ungerer and opened in 2002 after a year-long construction. Children enter the building through the cat’s mouth. The red carpet symbolizes the cat’s tongue. The cat’s large eyes flood the inside with natural light. Kids can play with the cat’s tail in the back of the building, which doubles as a slide. For more photos of this amazing building, visit the Fresh Dads website.

Today’s video shows an incredible interspecies friendship between a cat and two pet rats. Now why can’t humans get along like this?

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ikm3o5hDks

Have a great weekend!

Photo sources: photo of Daniel The Huffington Post, photo of lion roaring from Science Daily, photo of German kindergarden from Fresh Dads

11 Comments on Mews and Nips: Rearchers Study Big Cat’s Roar

1. Julia Williams
    November 5, 2011 at 7:06 pm (9 years ago)

Such a cute school!! I probably would never go home, MOL.

November 5, 2011 at 9:32 pm (9 years ago)

I want someone to build me a house like that, Julia!

2. Deborah Julian
    November 5, 2011 at 11:38 am (9 years ago)

I also loved the story of Daniel! He sounds like my kind of cat too! Of course, I have yet to meet a cat that I didn’t like.

Deborah Julian

November 5, 2011 at 6:35 pm (9 years ago)

I know what you mean, Debbie – I have yet to meet a cat I didn’t like!

3. Layla Morgan Wilde
    November 5, 2011 at 11:24 am (9 years ago)

We loved this edition of Mews & Nips but especially Daniel. He’s our kind of boy.

November 5, 2011 at 6:35 pm (9 years ago)

Thanks, Layla. I keep picturing Daniel doing the head bop that changed his life (and his human’s life).

4. Esme
    November 5, 2011 at 11:09 am (9 years ago)

What a wonderful video-that is truly you have to see it to believe it.

November 5, 2011 at 6:34 pm (9 years ago)

Isn’t it wonderful, Esme?

5. Deb Barnes - Zee and Zoey
    November 5, 2011 at 7:52 am (9 years ago)

Wow…. if I hadn’t seen that video with my own eyes, I would have not believed it! What an amazing testiment to the incredible range of emotion and compassion that two different species have the ability to show.

I loved the cat kindergarten! I can only imagine how wonderful the learning environment is for these children – clearly this school inspires creativity!

Best of luck to Daniel and his 26 toes with his fundraising efforts! What a sweetheart he is!!

Great weekly wrap-up Ingrid!

November 5, 2011 at 6:34 pm (9 years ago)

Thanks, Deb. I thought the video was pretty amazing.

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Mews and Nips: Rearchers Study Big Cat’s Roar

1. […] previously reported on Daniel, the cat with 26 toes who helped raise funds for the Milwaukee Animal Rescue Center. According to […]