Feline Behavior Advice from Jackson Galaxy

Jackson-Galaxy

Updated April 2018
This post contains affiliate links*

Please note that Jackson Galaxy no longer works with private clients, and he will not answer questions left in comments on this post.

You can find a wealth of information about all aspects of caring for cats on his website and in his newest book, Total Cat Mojo: The Ultimate Guide to Life With Your Cat.

Total-Cat-Mojo-Jackson-Galaxy

Read my review here.

Feline Behaviorist Recommendation

If you are looking to work with a feline behaviorist, I highly recommend Mikel Delgado http://www.felineminds.com/ and Daniel Quagliozzi https://gocatgosf.com/ Both offer remote consultations.

*The Conscious Cat is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon and affiliated sites. The Conscious Cat is an affiliate partner of Jackson Galaxy. This means that if you decide to purchase through any of our links, we get a small commission. We only spread the word about products and services we’ve either used or would use ourselves.

212 Comments on Feline Behavior Advice from Jackson Galaxy

1. Jenn
    May 29, 2016 at 4:46 pm (2 years ago)

My nine year old cat won’t stay off the couch. It has been becoming more of a problem this last year. He knows he isn’t supposed to be on it, he’ll jump off we he hears us coming. It’s a big problem because our daughter is allergic and as long as he stays in his beds she’s pretty ok. I vacuum and dust everyday, he gets fur all over the couch(he’s double coated), and brushing everyday doesn’t help especially when he’s not in the mood. It’s gotten where she doesn’t even hangout in the livingroom, she just goes to her room. What to do. He has other places to go. He’s kinda being a jerk.

2. Tracey ann Holland
    April 24, 2016 at 11:12 pm (3 years ago)

My neighbour Barbara has died and my Bertie has been extra loving is that normal

April 25, 2016 at 5:41 am (3 years ago)

Cats are very attuned to their guardian’s energy and emotions. It sounds like Bertie is trying to comfort you, Tracey.

3. Tracey ann Holland
    April 23, 2016 at 10:18 pm (3 years ago)

Hi Jackson is it normal for a cat look after their guardian when their grieving my Bertie has extra loving since my neighbour died

4. Karen
    April 14, 2016 at 4:16 pm (3 years ago)

I would really like some advice. I adopted Ernie in August of 2015 and I have noticed that he is destructive. He has destroyed my curtains, window screens and he loves to get in the bathroom and tug on the plumbing that goes from the toilet to the wall. He has a variety of toys including scratching posts. I have been told to adopt another cat to keep him company, but I disagree with that and looking from the various posts, bringing in another animal isn’t always a “win-win”. He has been neutered and utd on all vaccines. How can I determine what the issue is? How old are cats before they calm down? My sister suggested to have an outside enclosure built to stimulate him and yet keep him safe. Is this helpful? Thank you!

April 15, 2016 at 5:38 am (3 years ago)

It sounds like Ernie may be bored, Karen. Try structured playtime, 10-15 minutes at least twice a day. Really get him tired out. An outside enclose can also help keep him entertained.

5. Yvette
    April 7, 2016 at 10:12 am (3 years ago)

I adopted my 19 month old female cat when she was 8 months old. Two months ago I adopted another cat who is 11 months old. My first cat HATES my new cat (who by the way loves everyone, including other cats). Now my older cat is peeing and pooping everywhere around the house and she won’t stop. She’s even wearing a calming collar and that’s not working; she still attacks my other cat. Help!!! I don’t want to give either of them up but I don’t know what to do. Isolating them from each othet and the rest of the family seems inhumane.

April 7, 2016 at 11:29 am (3 years ago)

You need to separate the two cats and start over with very slow and gradual introductions, Yvette. Here’s how: http://consciouscat.net/2011/08/15/cat-to-cat-introductions/ It may take longer since they’ve already established a negative association with each other, but it’s your best chance at having them get along. Introductions can take weeks and sometimes even months.

• Yvette
        April 8, 2016 at 8:21 am (3 years ago)

Thanks for the advice. I have separated them and both seem to be doing better already. My older cat has just been prescribed anxiety meds so I’m hoping that will help too. Last night she started using her litterbox again. (I forgot to mention that I had changed the location). I suppose there have too many changes for her to handle at one time.

6. Melissa
    March 30, 2016 at 7:47 pm (3 years ago)

We have 2 male cats, both neutered. One is about 2 years old, the other is 9 months. We got the 2-year-old when he was a few months old and got the kitten about 3 months ago. As expected, it took a little while for them to warm up to each other, but in time, things got better. Recently, the kitten has begun urinating on our bed. We took him to the vet to rule out medical issues and the vet said it is likely a territory thing.

How do we get the kitten to stop urinating on the bed?

7. Ardith Pafford
    March 17, 2016 at 2:04 pm (3 years ago)

We rescued two male cats this past November. The mother had a litter of 5 but 3 passed and eventually the mother abandoned the remaining 2. They were WAY too little to be away from the momma cat but what could we do. As time has passed the yellow kitten began to lose weight to the point of being able to count all of his ribs. He is motivated by food and will fight animal or human to get food. As soon as he is finished eating he enters the litter box and has explosive liquid bowel movements. The vet prescribed probiotic powder and spray to put on his food but after 3 weeks of feedings 5 times a day I see no improvement. What do we do next? I am at a complete loss…

March 18, 2016 at 5:48 am (3 years ago)

You need to take your kitten back to the vet as soon as possible, Ardith. Your kitten may be dangerously dehydrated if he’s had diarrhea for that long.

8. Shaheda Daya
    January 21, 2016 at 12:43 am (3 years ago)

Jackson I need some advice please. We live in Zambia. I have a male and female, they are good friends, but my female has suddenly become territorial and I don’t understand why. How can I train her to share the house and garden? Please help.

9. Lana Meshoyrer
    January 6, 2016 at 3:26 pm (3 years ago)

My Mom’s female cat is 14 years old. She always behaved perfectly regarding pooping and peeing in the litter box. Once she was left alone in the house for a few days, and when we came back, she pooped on the guest bed where she always laid and enjoyed the sun. We cleaned and washed everything, but since then, every time we open the door to that room, the cat runs in, jumps on that bed, poops and urinates in the same spot.
    We need your help on what to do for her to stop this behavior. It was her favorite room where she enjoyed the sun, and now we have to keep the door closed at all times.
    Thank you for your help.

January 6, 2016 at 4:09 pm (3 years ago)

If you haven’t already taken your cat to the vet, I would do so as soon as possible. Sudden behavior changes can be an indicator of a health issue. Your cat is clearly experiencing heightened stress as a result of being left, and probably also because her favorite room is now closed off to her. Stress can lead to health and behavioral problems.

• Lana
        January 6, 2016 at 11:47 pm (3 years ago)

Vet said she is fine but I know it’s something emotional. We want to leave the room open but she comes in urinates and leaves. How do we stop her from peeing?

10. Krissy
    December 26, 2015 at 12:22 pm (3 years ago)

I have had a male white and orange tabby named “Peaches”, and I also a year later adopted a female kitten ” Twillight” from the same mother. The male is fixed and she is not yet fixed she stays inside the house, where as he is hidding in the back room or outside. His health is good and so is hers. But for some reason my once loving baby boy, is now timid and avoids the female and interaction*” meaning play,affection, treats,feeding time.” with me or my spouse, as she walks all over with no problem. What can I do when I don’t have door ways to separate them for introduction, I live in a trailer. Please help me to bring him out of his shell. He such a loving cat when he is outside the house away from the other cat. I would really be greatful if I could receive your help.

December 26, 2015 at 5:03 pm (3 years ago)

It’s going to be very challenging if you have no way to keep them separate. I would try playing with them together, and feeding them together to create positive associations with each others’ presence – you and your spouse each play with one cat, and each feed one cat.

11. Mary
    November 29, 2015 at 5:26 am (3 years ago)

Im pretty much at my wits end over this and would like some advice if possible, im not sure if this behavior is due to mine and my husband’s roommate passing away a few months ago or if her cat’s health is going bad or what but he has starting to poop on the floor and not in the litter pan, we keep it clean we have 4 other cats and they seem to be fine using it. I haven’t seen any of the other cat’s going any place else in the apartment it just seems to be the one, we have tried squirting him with water or rubbing hus nose in it when we catch him, i just dont know what else to do

November 29, 2015 at 7:12 am (3 years ago)

Do not use squirt bottles or rub his nose in his stool, Mary – punishment does not correct behavior, and it will damage the bond between you and your cat. If you haven’t already done so, take him to your vet as soon as possible. This behavior could be an indicator of a medical problem.

12. tony
    October 28, 2015 at 7:31 pm (3 years ago)

I’m a first time cat owner. I adopted 2 kittens: 6 and 3 months from a shelter where both were previously acquainted and shared a large living space part time with other cats. They are both very sweet but the 6 month old is quite a bit larger and much more aggressive with the 3 month old to the point where the 3 month old cowers under the bed at the mere sight of the 6 month old. Is there anything I can do or try to stop him from terrorizing his younger roommate?

13. jane
    October 3, 2015 at 3:15 pm (3 years ago)

HELP PLEASE !!! have 14 year old female cat with IBD Have tried EVERYTHING. Have changed foods Have been to three different vets. still nothing is working to help with her runny stools. Don’t want to loose her.Any advise would really help!!!

14. Emily Rivers
    September 14, 2015 at 1:43 am (3 years ago)

Hi. I recently adopted a 2 months old male kitten. This is my first cat, so I dont know if his behavior is normal. When ever he wakes up, he gets very hyperactive. He starts biting me and scratching me. He tries to climb my leg and when I sit down or lay, he stares at me and then jumps rapidly and attacks me. After a few hours of this behavior he gets tire and then comes back looking for me to pet him. What can I do to control his agreesive play?
    Thanks

September 14, 2015 at 5:48 am (3 years ago)

That’s perfectly normal for a kitten – he needs to play to burn off energy. The cure for this behavior is more playtime! Ideally, kittens as young as he is need a buddy so they have another kitten to play with. If you’re not willing or able to adopt another cat, increase playtime with him. Play with him for 10-15 minutes, at least three or four times a day, and really get him tired out. Use interactive wand toys, make sure he has plenty of vertical space in the form of cat trees.

15. Diana
    August 30, 2015 at 7:29 am (3 years ago)

I’m looking for advice on a cat I just brought home from a shelter a month ago. She’s a spayed Maine coon and can be loving at times but then scratches and bites my husband and I very badly. She seems to be set off by many different things and attacks us and runs off but then comes back a minute later to rub on us. No kids or other animals. She also constantly looks around while eating like she’s paranoid but had her own enclosure at the shelter. Any thoughts?

August 30, 2015 at 9:24 am (3 years ago)

It’s hard to tell what’s causing this behavior, Diana. It sounds like redirected aggression, but there could be more going on. I would recommend having her checked out by a vet first to rule out any medical issues, and then consider working with a feline behaviorist.

16. jc
    June 29, 2015 at 5:04 pm (3 years ago)

Hi its jc with my cat jagger he will not eat this prescription dry food for urinary tract infection. Or uti. How do I swith him over from wet food to his prescription food for u.t.I. Urinary tract infection.? Please call me at 732 908 6306 thank u

17. ashley
    June 2, 2015 at 12:56 pm (3 years ago)

I need help I rescued my cat Gracie a little over a year ago she was a young kitten she was born outside at my bfs mom’s house and one day she ran her over so I took her in and took her to the vet her outlook was not good they were not sure if she would ever walk again but she can and you can barely tell she ever had anything wrong recently we got her fixed and started babysitting 8 loud rambunctious children she has now started peeing on my stuff and has peed and pooped on my bed with me in it what should I do

June 2, 2015 at 1:40 pm (3 years ago)

You need to take Gracie to the vet for a thorough check up, Ashley – that’s always the first step when dealing with inappropriate urination and/or defecation. Here’s more information: http://consciouscat.net/2011/05/09/how-to-prevent-litter-box-problems/

My guess is that the stress of the children is causing the behavior, but you still need to rule out a medical issue first.

• ashley
        June 2, 2015 at 1:46 pm (3 years ago)

I have an appointment for her on Friday. Are there any alternative things I can do if it’s stress besides medication?

18. erin
    May 31, 2015 at 12:37 am (3 years ago)

We need help !!!!!! For that past year we have bin surching EVERY THING about your work to help ARE CAT MOW we brought him home from are family farm after some one droped he off he was maybe six seven months for are son and he started peeing in are basment lil fater we got are dog going on a year he started peeing on her things and on are porch buy his box and biteing me I thought it was over needing more atenchin so I make are dog sleep in the liveing room and give him more space but no cange so I got them fixed nothing still peeing HELP US I LOVE HIM BUT NOT HIM PEE PLEZ OR ILL HAF TO PUT HIM DOWN HES MY BABY I DONT WANT THAT FOR ME HIM OR MY SON !!!!!!

• erin
        June 1, 2015 at 1:18 am (3 years ago)

Thank you so much willgive every tthing a try on the list plus vets chan his box plus buy a new one for basment ..

19. kirk
    May 17, 2015 at 10:16 pm (4 years ago)

i got a kitten for my granddaughter and he uses the bathroom on the bed daily. how do i stop this before the kitten goes outside for good.

20. Marianne
    April 24, 2015 at 10:31 am (4 years ago)

I have a question. My husband and I rescued a kitten out of a dumpster 3 years ago and he’s been our only cat until now. We just rescued an around 8 week old female kitten. I’ve read all articles I can find about introducing them. My problem is that we live in a one bedroom apartment. We’ve had the kitten in a large carrier and have been giving her lots of play time in our bathroom with the door closed. How do I get our resident cat to accept her? We don’t have an extra room to keep her in to keep them apart. Our resident cat starts off just starring at her then chirps at her then he starts to growl and hiss. I know this is expected but I need help how to get them to get along. I don’t want to have to keep her in the carrier or bathroom. Please help.

April 24, 2015 at 11:07 am (4 years ago)

Unfortuntately, slow and gradual introductions are probably the only way you will get your resident cat to accept the newcomer. I know it’s challenging in a small space like yours. Give it time and use all the tools (scent swapping, room swapping, feeding them on opposite sides of the bathroom door, etc.).

• Marianne
        April 24, 2015 at 11:12 am (4 years ago)

When he’s looking at her, growling or hissing, his tail sways. Is that normal? Usually he just walks around with his tail straight up. I’m willing to do whatever it takes to make them both feel comfortable and loved.

21. Jennifer
    March 10, 2015 at 11:40 am (4 years ago)

Hi, I am in desperate need of help… My ex and I had 3 cats… A male and female (hemi and Lola) and we kept a male (kiato) from the on emitter Lola had before she was fixed… It seems like after we kept kiato, Lola started to pee and poop anywhere but the litter… We had two large litter boxes… My ex and I split and he kept all 3 cats but Lola started to pee on his bed and poop in the closet… The litter was being cleaned everyday if not twice daily… Finally he had had enough so I took Lola to live with me… She hasn’t urinated anywhere but the litter box until I spent one night out and when I came home she had urinated in the middle of the bathroom floor ( her litter box is located in the bathroom) but she keeps pooping in the same spot on the bathroom floor and has only pooped a few times in her litter… We have small children so I’m not sure how Mich more of this I can take… I love her and don’t want to get rid of her so I need some advice as to what to do… 🙁 thank you so much… Jennifer

22. Thomas Kowal
    February 19, 2015 at 5:21 pm (4 years ago)

Hi, I have a quick question for some reason my cat will only eat while I stand beside her and she will meow and follow me around until I stand beside her to eat. Anytime I walk away he will follow and meow the whole time. Any reason why you think this would happen?

February 19, 2015 at 6:18 pm (4 years ago)

Some cats seem to like company while they eat. I don’t think anyone has ever figured out why that is, Thomas.

• Martha
        April 4, 2015 at 1:13 pm (4 years ago)

I have a neutered male feral I am trying to get used to human touch and he will come look for me, wait till I follow him and pet/cuddle him when he eats. If I walk away he stops eating. I’ll take a guess, but I think it’s protection. I notice cats look around a lot if you feed them outside and he is much calmer if I’m there.

23. Chris Hamilton
    January 29, 2015 at 5:50 am (4 years ago)

Hello Ingrid,

My wife and I have a lovely cat. She is very affectionate, loving and of course very spoiled. We have had her since she was about 5 weeks old. We saved her (and all her siblings by chance) from being killed because there were too many cats on a farm. Anyway, she is now 5 years old, she was spayed at 7 months of age. She is a healthy cat who can go out whenever she wants to hunt mice and the occasional bird. We live in the outskirts of a little village in the north and adjacent to the forest.

We feed her B.A.R.F. (Biological Adapted Raw Food) and the best “wet” food recommended in our country Sweden.

Last summer she started to behave strange. All of a sudden resting in an armchair or in her basket or wherever she jumped up and started to bite her skin like she was bitten by an insect, flee or something. We could not find any flee or anything else. Then it cooled off in the autumn and the behaviour vanished.

Now a few weeks ago she started to get mad on her tail. She grips the tail with her feet and gives it a hurting bite. The tail starts to move by itself, it looks like, and Lisa (the cat) gets fed up with the movement she is not consciously doing herself. It starts with the tip of the tail twitching and then the whole tail starts to move around as when a cat is very irritated. She is not really irritated at first, certainly not towards us, but then she wants to stop the tails involuntary movements and bites it hard. Often bloodshed occurs after a bite. We have been to the small animal clinic in town, but none of the vets can find anything, no parasites or any physical problem.

Have you ever heard of a behaviour like this? Is it a mental thing, a nerve problem or what can it be? Our neighbour says he has seen that she was been bitten by a magpie in the tail, but nothing is broken or damaged in the tail. What he says is strange because she can kill a magpie very quickly if she wants. Please let us know if anyone has experienced the same problem somewhere else and if there was a reason for this behaviour.

Greetings, from Chris, Béa and Lisa.

• Chris Hamilton
        January 29, 2015 at 8:28 am (4 years ago)

Thanks for the reply Ingrid. I will forward this to our cat-clinic and see if they have something to go on with this. It is so devastating for us to see how Lisa is suffering from this. Ok, it is only short periods and maybe not even every day, but when it happens it is terrible for the cat and us. I take her in my lap and comfort her and she usually calms down. It never happens at night though, she is sleeping beside me (or more often inside my arm) as she has done since she was a kitten. I have never seen it happen outside in the garden or the forest, only inside when she is resting.

Again, thank you for helping us to understand more of what the diagnose possibly could be.

Chris

January 29, 2015 at 8:45 am (4 years ago)

I’m glad this helped, Chris. I know this is distressing. Please keep us posted on how Lisa is doing.

• Chris Hamilton
            January 29, 2015 at 9:24 am (4 years ago)

Sure Ingrid, will keep you posted. Just in case I have bought Jacksons Spirit Essences Skin Soother. Maybe it can help a bit, who knows.

/chris

24. Susie
    January 28, 2015 at 12:14 am (4 years ago)

I had 2 adult female cats who get along well, and are not aggressive in any way. About two months ago, I adopted a 1 year-old female cat, Phoebe. My one adult, Pearl, just hates Phoebe. I introduced them very slowly, first keeping Phoebe in the bedroom for several weeks, door closed. Then putting up a gate for several weeks. With me in the room, Pearl will come in and eat out of Phoebe’s dish and use the litterbox (Pearl has her own, existing place to eat and pee). Pearl stalks Phoebe. She stares at her and then just runs and attacks her. Draws blood, fur flies. I’ve seen Phoebe respond in kind once. If I’m in the room, I will squirt Pearl or distract her. I have played with Pearl while Phoebe is laying close by, and she will act just normal, like she’s not even paying attention to Phoebe, but if I leave the room, she attacks again. I don’t leave them alone now. Every time Pearl attacks, my husband insists on grabbing Pearl and booting her outside, so she’ll understand, but that does not help the situation. And it’s making us fight. Please help!

January 28, 2015 at 7:24 am (4 years ago)

I would start introduction over, and go even more slowly this time, Susie. Back up a step each time things don’t go well, and go even more slowly. You’re absolutely right, your husband grabbing Pearl and putting her outside is only making things worse. Using a squirt bottle is also not a good idea, here’s an article by Jackson on why squirt bottles don’t work: http://consciouscat.net/2012/03/29/squirt-bottles-punishment-and-cat-behavior/

25. Lori
    January 12, 2015 at 4:55 pm (4 years ago)

I have a kitten that I rescued a year and half ago. It’s a good thing she is a very cute calico! She chews on everything….bra straps, sweatshirts, shoe laces, plants, Christmas tree lights, cell phone cords, my other cat, cardboard (Oh my does she shred cardboard), etc. She is fed a high quality no grain cat food so I do not think she is deficient in anything. HELP!!!

January 13, 2015 at 7:04 am (4 years ago)

It sounds like your kitty may have a lot of excess energy. If you’re not already doing so, I’d start increasing her playtime. Do structured play sessions with her, 10-15 minutes at least twice a day, and get her really tired out.

26. Dawn
    January 4, 2015 at 10:35 am (4 years ago)

I have two cats (2+ years old) from the same litter. I’ve had them since they were kittens. They were abandonded by their mother along with two other kittens from that litter. In the 2+ years that I’ve had them, they have always been very sweet witheach other; grooming and cuddling each other all the time. Suddenly they hate each other. Literally trying to kill each other and I don’t know why. I had to separate them and now when they see each other they hiss and growl at each other; if I let them, they actually will fight. Is this “normal” and is there hope that they will once again be able to coexist? I purchased the Felaway plug in so I’m hoping that will work. How long should I wait to reintroduce them? I should mention that one of my cats has a UTI and was put on medication two days ago. This fighting started 5 days ago.

27. Franceen Lyons
    December 25, 2014 at 2:08 am (4 years ago)

Help. I have 6 cats that all get along. Except, about 3 months ago one of the 2 year old brothers began spraying everywhere. His brother Murphy does not do this, just Teddy, He also pees in bathroom sinks but at least that can be cleaned. Nothing has changed except 5 month house guest left but Teddy was not close to him. Same food, boxes, routine. Lots of loving and play for Teddy. But now he walks to walls and corners and sprays,

help! His bother Murphy who is a love-bug would be lost without him.

28. Laurel
    December 21, 2014 at 2:48 pm (4 years ago)

I adopted a 1 year old mother cat (she had 2 kittens)
    & I have 2 other cats at home. I did all the separating & introducing slowly
    & it’s been a month already & they still won’t accept her
    She did chase them the 1rst couple times they met, but now she
    wants to be friends & they hiss & spit at her.
    Will they ever accept her?

December 21, 2014 at 4:07 pm (4 years ago)

Unfortunately, there’s never a guarantee that two cats will get along, Laurel. My advice would be to start over with introductions, and go even slower this time.

29. Coreta
    November 22, 2014 at 9:46 pm (4 years ago)

I have a 5-year-old orange tabby female I recently adopted from Kitsap Animal Shelter. She is sweet, loving, funny, and very, very smart. She understands many words, comes when you whistle for her, and is very much a lady, well mannered and well behaved, well, except for the coming when you whistle for her (hahaha). So what in the world could the problem be? She refuses to drink from her water dish. I’ve changed out the dish and now give her filtered water. However, she will wait until I go to the bathroom and then will come in and ask to drink running water from the sink. She will lap and lap and lap until I’m ready to leave. She isn’t peeing very much as a result of this habit. I can’t leave the water running for her, obviously, so what else can I do?

November 23, 2014 at 7:34 am (4 years ago)

Since she likes running water, the easiest solution is to get her a fountain. Ceramic or stainless steel fountains are the best choice.

30. sierra
    November 19, 2014 at 6:17 pm (4 years ago)

i need help with my cat she wont stop being mean to me or my puppy I just got a couple days ago I have over 100 scratches on me and I don’t want to get rid of her I just want her to be nice and for her to be calm she is my baby and I want her to be nice an I don’t know what to do I need help please

31. Dawn
    November 8, 2014 at 9:07 am (4 years ago)

My 2 year old cat is very loveing but she likes to bit not hard, what does that mean. She can be laying in my lap and I’m petting her and all of a sudden she’ll just bit me but then lick me I’m confused I know when she’s playing with me and when she’s not so what is she doing? Also how do you now if she is happy. Cause she’ll follow me around watch me bathe and lay on my chest but is that enough I want to make her as happy as I can,please help!

32. davis5
    September 28, 2014 at 9:14 pm (4 years ago)

Found a kitten 2 months ago. Abandoned but as since he wasnt with his siblings and mom he seems not to understand when not to bite so we all look like we are cutting ourselves. Want to love this kitten but need help with constant mouth and claw attacks.

33. Sea Jewel
    September 4, 2014 at 10:12 pm (4 years ago)

Hi! I have a year old mutt cat. Born 3am August 31st 2013. He is such an aggravation, but lovable. He loves on me but then also goes on attack mode at odd time. The main problem is he doesn’t cry/meow until I get home and then he WONT shut up. I got him for my fiancé with head trauma, but he will only sleep when they are home alone….8 hours and then when I come home he lies in the kitchen and just meows. I’ll feed him, play with him (literally for 3 hours one night ) and he has open range of the house and front porch. Then I get home and he just meows. Lays on his back and just lays there meowing. I give him ALOT of attention and he has a numerous amount of toys, but he won’t play with them or anything. Also when I love on him and then he goes into attack mode he never retracts his claws. You can hear them clinking on the hard wood floor. I started clipping his claws at an early age but since he got fixed he has been HELL! What can I do. I was told he may not have been neutered correctly, but I don’t have the money to get a check up on if the process was done correctly. Please help.

34. Bonbon
    September 3, 2014 at 4:59 pm (4 years ago)

Usually when a vet would propose neutering him, their main stand was that the urine smell would improve in the litter box. I only question neutering because I see humans struggle without their hormones. Humans can have a lot of health issues without the hormones they were intended to have. I didn’t want the same thing to happen to my cat just because I wanted the smell to improve in his litter box. If I was going to neuter him, I would want it to be for my cat’s convenience and not my own. I did not know he could develope certain cancers. What is it about not being neutered that would cause certain cancers later?

September 3, 2014 at 5:37 pm (4 years ago)

Neutering eliminates the risk of testicular cancer.

• Bonbon
        September 4, 2014 at 2:24 am (4 years ago)

Thank you Ingrid. I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions.

35. Bonbon
    September 3, 2014 at 4:03 pm (4 years ago)

Hi there! I just started watching “My Cat From Hell,” and I have already learned a few things that I could change to make my cat happier! I do have a question, if you have time to answer. I have chosen not to neuter my male cat. For the most part, he does not feel compelled to spray. Which is nice. There are times when my cat gets anxious around new visitors or animals outside and he will feel compelled to spray. Which is understandable. I don’t get mad at him. My question is: Is there a way to relieve my cat’s territorial anxiety so he doesn’t have to spray. I would rather not neuter unless its something beneficial to my cat. I would like my cat to feel comfortable and happy all the time; which I think would help him never feel the need to spray. Thanks. And if you don’t get to my question, its ok.

September 3, 2014 at 4:10 pm (4 years ago)

I don’t know why you don’t want your cat to neutered. In addition to stopping his need to spray, it will also reduce the risk of developing certain cancers later in life.

36. Samantha
    August 29, 2014 at 4:54 pm (4 years ago)

Hi I have a female 8month old cat who is very playfully but also destructive she has picked a corner in the house that she uses as a scratching post and tears off the wall paper and also has torn apart 3sets of net curtens I have not yet caught her in action but have tried using a pet repellant but that hasn’t worked and she also has her own scratching post.Thank-you any advice?

37. star
    August 25, 2014 at 5:19 pm (4 years ago)

I got a kitten today. she was going to be put down if I didnt taked her . She has only known one person and is scared of other people.can anyone give me some tips on how to make her trust me.

38. Renee
    August 4, 2014 at 3:36 pm (4 years ago)

My cat Jynx, has a cat scratcher that she won’t use, she claws the furniture and she rips holes in the screens in my windows. I can’t open my windows very much, I can only crack them. I don’t want to get her declawed. Do you have any suggestions to keep her off my furniture and window screens?

39. Carmen
    June 26, 2014 at 7:19 am (4 years ago)

Thank you by the way how do you get a cat to not be so hyper

40. Jules
    June 21, 2014 at 11:41 pm (4 years ago)

My cats Miss Kitty, (aka KeKe),is 4 , Whitey Ford 5, Obie, 6 & BabyKittie 19 years old.
    Whitey has a few problems, he’s 27 1/2 lbs & he will poop outside the little box, he will pee inside it, so I don’t know what to do with him. Could it be because his hips hurt to bad to swat in box? He’s my babiw & I want to help him. I also don’t know how to separate them at meantime. Any suggestion ?

June 22, 2014 at 6:19 am (4 years ago)

It’s quite possible that Whitey is in pain, and that that may cause him to defecate outside the box. I would get him checked out by your veterinarian. Feeding separately usually means feeding the cats in separate rooms behind closed doors.

41. Carmen
    June 5, 2014 at 1:32 am (4 years ago)

Hello i have a female black cat and i just don’t know why she doesn’t use the litter box all the time she goes to the bathroom on the bed please tell me what i can do to stop that i love my cat a lot and i don’t want to get rid of her

• Carmen
        June 26, 2014 at 7:48 am (4 years ago)

Thank you how can i get my cat Kiri to sleep at 5am because she usually wakes me up around that time

42. Joann Pettigrew
    May 31, 2014 at 8:56 pm (4 years ago)

Hello Jackson,
    I have 2 cats 13 & 14. They’ve been together a long time and got along fine till a few years ago and something changed. Jordan (male) suddenly started being aggressive toward Josie (female/ rus. blue) at times. Recently Josie was found to have cataracts in both eyes, could this cause Jordan’s aggressiveness? It breaks my heart to see him be so mean to her or her to walk into things, and needless to say, I don’t have the money to do the surgery or I would. Jackson, please help me!!

Joann

P. S. Love the show!!!

June 1, 2014 at 6:22 am (4 years ago)

It’s possible that Jordan finds Josie’s altered behavior as a result of her changes in vision threatening, and that may be causing him to react with aggression.

• Joann Pettigrew
        June 22, 2014 at 10:20 am (4 years ago)

Yes, that is what I feel also. I have tried anti-depressants but don’t like how they make him feel, tried the calming (scented) collars, and don’t know what else to do. I have to work alot just to make ends meet so Jackson is out of the question. My babies are 14 yrs. old and may just have to ride it out. The funny part is, I still have a waterbed and when it’s winter time he doesn’t mind snuggling w/ her if she gets on the bed first. BUT, if he’s there first he’ll hiss at her. Or he’ll hiss at her if she walks pasr him. I just feel bad for her. Wish I could afford the cataract surgery.

Thanks again.
        Joann

43. Charlotte Schreier
    May 26, 2014 at 12:26 am (4 years ago)

Hi Ingrid ..Jackson Gallery I am so at ends with my cat MauMau she licks licks licks.! I have changed everything and nothing stops her. I got her fixed and after that the belly is furless … small spot to the whole under side. Her lips are swollen .. I have wet her food just so she can eat.. Iam sad i feel like its a cost to me to try every thing a Dr. says to do! Now I feel she needs meds… Her sticky nasty underside I wash with gentle warm water spray aloe … crotzone… maybe she needs to go to Kitty Heaven! I cry I dont know what to do… I lov the cat since I saved her from starving behind a building as a young cat. I got her shots and fixed and she doesnt stop licking!! A loving home .. loveing food… no reason for her to be so nervous and lick … She is pretty but her tummy is a mess! HELP Iam on oxygen disabled and live alone … she goes in and out my window… lov thanks Charlotte 5/25/2014

44. Donna N.
    February 25, 2014 at 7:09 pm (5 years ago)

My granddaughter’s cat keep chewing on electrical cords like chargers, etc. What can we do to stop this before he gets electrocuted? Thank you.

February 26, 2014 at 6:32 am (5 years ago)

You can try coating the cord covers with Bitter Apple or something like it to discourage chewing, but the safest way is to get cord covers like this one: http://amzn.to/1kfwpvm

• Donna N.
        February 26, 2014 at 7:35 am (5 years ago)

Thanks so very much for the prompt reply! We will try the Bitter Apple until we can locate the cord covers.

45. Donna
    February 15, 2014 at 9:08 pm (5 years ago)

Please Help! I have 2 female cats age 7. My one cat Sadie began peeing on the floor about 1 foot from the litter box about 2 years ago. Also, she was peeing behind the couch. That seemed to stop when i pushed the couch back agianst the wall, but she is still peeing outside the litter. We have 2 litter boxes and tried different litter. I did notice that she doesnt seem to squat down all the way when she pees and sometimes it goes over the edge, but sometimes she is completely outside the little box. The 2 cats are sisters and grew up together. About 2 years ago Saide got diabeties and i give her shots twice a day. ALso, 2 years ago, we rescued an age 2 chiwawa dog from Paws. The dog loves the cats and for the most part i think they got used to the dog. We have changed litter boxes and litter several times but nothing works. I am tired of cleaning up the floor of pee. I am ready to get rid of her. Can you give me any advice?

February 16, 2014 at 6:31 am (5 years ago)

If you haven’t recently taken Sadie to your vet, please do so to rule out any medical issues. You may want to add a third litter box – the rule of thumb is to have as many boxes as you have cats plus one. Inappropriate elimination is a complex problem, and it’s hard to give advice without knowing the layout of your house, details about how your pets interact, etc. I recommend working with a feline behaviorist. Jackson no longer sees private clients. If you can’t find one in your area, I can recommend two who do remote consultations: Pam Johnson-Bennett http://www.catbehaviorassociates.com/ and Marilyn Krieger http://thecatcoach.com/ You may also find some information about this issue on their websites.

46. jeff
    January 24, 2014 at 5:30 pm (5 years ago)

My 3year old female cat. Spade 3 months ago. Always was a grazer with food. Often didn’t eat all. Now eats until she is too full or finishes all at 1 time. Naps for about 1-2 yrs. Then crys for food constantly. How can I change it back to her old ways of eating?

January 25, 2014 at 5:47 am (5 years ago)

Change her to meal feeding, twice a day. Leave her food out for 20 or 30 minutes, and then take up whatever she didn’t eat. No food until the next meal as long as she ate something. Never let a cat go without eating for more than 24-48 hours. You can find lots of information on how to transition to meal feeding in the Feline Nutrition section on this site. If you want more personalized information, I’d be happy to schedule a consultation with you.

47. Lizette
    November 27, 2013 at 5:04 am (5 years ago)

Hi. I have some concerns about my female cats. I have 2 cats who recently had kittens. I also have a female (sprayed) cat (4years old) as well as male cats. They are all very loving towards each other and we never had problems….since the two cats had their kittens. They attack the 4year old female cat and she is so afraid she did not come home for 2 days. She was here last night and she was so scared…I tried to calm her. She came back this morning to eat and they attacked her again! This is so strange to me as Jessica is so loving and she does not go near the kittens. Can you please give me some advise as I am so stressed out and worried about her.

November 27, 2013 at 6:55 am (5 years ago)

This goes beyond what I can answer in a quick reply to a comment, Lizette. I would suggest working with a feline behaviorist. Jackson no longer takes private clients, but I can recommend Marilyn Krieger (The Cat Coach) and Pam Johnson-Bennett (Cat Behavior Associates) – both offer remote consultations.

• Lizette
        November 28, 2013 at 1:52 pm (5 years ago)

Thank you so much, I will contact them 🙂

48. Caren Gittleman
    July 21, 2011 at 8:53 am (7 years ago)

Thank you for sharing Jackson with us. We absolutely love him and we love you!

July 21, 2011 at 2:21 pm (7 years ago)

Thanks, Caren! Right back at you!

• Sara Henderson
        May 6, 2013 at 5:00 am (6 years ago)

I really enjoy watching my cat from hell. However, some things I have seen aren’t true for my cat. She is more canine than feline. While most cats hate being held on their backs, mine quite enjoys it. She is very unusual. Other than that, he is spot on and absolutly amazing 🙂

49. maru
    July 21, 2011 at 8:07 am (7 years ago)

I like his blog. The vids are quite good!

July 21, 2011 at 2:20 pm (7 years ago)

I like his focus on the cats, Maru. It’s usually the humans who need behavior modification!

50. Max the Quilt Cat
    July 21, 2011 at 7:45 am (7 years ago)

Nice post. Thanks for the links and now, I’m off to vote….

pawhugs, Max

July 21, 2011 at 2:20 pm (7 years ago)

Thanks, Max!