Things have been really interesting around here! My mom and I are still getting to know each other, and I love how she wants to make sure I’m happy. I want her to be happy, too! But sometimes, I think the things I do to try and make her happy actually aren’t such bright ideas. I don’t really understand why she doesn’t think it’s totally cool when I stalk her when she walks down the hall and attack her ankles. I also don’t understand why she doesn’t think it’s fun when I nip at her hands to let her know that I’ve had enough petting. Doing those things is soooo fun! But I’m starting to get a clue that maybe it’s not okay to do these things, because when I do, Mom stops talking to me, won’t even look at me, and just walks away from me. I don’t like that at all!
The other day, I did something so amazingly cool, I couldn’t wait for Mom to see! I chewed off the edge of the big dresser in the bedroom! It was so much fun to nibble on it, and it felt really good on my teeth! Wee! I worked at it really really hard, and managed to make it look like a work of art, if I do say so myself. But when Mom saw it, she wasn’t impressed at all. In fact, she got pretty mad. I could tell when she said “Oh no, Allegra!” in a voice that didn’t sound loving to me at all – and believe me, I can tell the difference, because Mom sounds loving almost all the time, so when her voice changes like that, I kind of know I’m in trouble. She told me I shouldn’t be doing that, and then she sprayed some stuff on it that she says is called Bitter Yuck. She said I might not want to chew on that spot again, or I’d be sorry. Okay fine, whatever! Well, I waited a little while before going back to chew on the dresser some more – I’m not stupid, I’m not going to do it right in front of her! It tasted a bit odd – but the chewing was so much fun, it was worth the weird taste in my mouth. Mom got really exasperated with me and taped some stuff called Sticky Paws around the corner I’d worked so hard to chew off. Again, she told me I might not want to chew on it again, as the stuff would stick to my mouth and feel really awful. Hmmm. Okay. Whatever! Of course I tried again. Did you really think I wouldn’t? It was really interesting, I managed to pull the sticky stuff off, spit it out, and then proceded to chew on the wood some more. I was pretty pleased with the result – but Mom wasn’t ready to give up on making me stop. You have to give her this – she is persistent. I watched her rub a lemon on the area I’d chewed so nicely. Some of the juice dribbled on the floor, so I investigated. YUCK!!! Major yuck!!! I’m sad to say my work of art will not be completed – that stuff just tastes too nasty even for me to persevere.
Then, the other night, Mom was on the phone for a long time. I heard my name mentioned a lot during that time. After she got off the phone, she told me that we’d be making some changes to cure me of some of my “undesirable behavior.” I have no idea what that means. It sounded very grown up and something humans would say when they’re trying to sound important. I wasn’t too worried about it. That night, Mom spent a longer than usual time playing with me, and then, she fed me an extra meal just before she went to bed. How cool was that! If that’s the kind of change she was talking about, I’m on board with that! The next day, I got new toys! Wee!!! Now mind you, when I first got here, I thought for sure that I had landed in kitty paradise. There were so many toys! But now, there are even more! How lucky can one kitten get! I got a new play house, and a Kong Kickeroo. I also saw her stash a bag of stuff in the closet, so I’m thinking there may be more new toys! And I was right. Last night, she brought out a really fun toy that has me somewhat puzzled – I just can’t get the little mouse out of it, but I’m going to keep trying! I know there’s more in that closet, I just know it. One of these days, I’ll figure out how to open those big closet doors…. but you’ll have to excuse me, I have to go play in my new playhouse now! Wee!!!
A note from Allegra’s Mom: I was becoming increasingly frustrated with watching Allegra be a sweet little kitten 80% of the time and then turn into devil kitten the remaining 20%. She’s a little play aggressive, and she tends to bite when she gets overstimulated. I knew the basics of how to respond to this type of behavior, but I wasn’t making much headway, so I decided to consult The Cat Coach. Marilyn Krieger is a nationally recognized and Certified Cat Behavior Consultant and has been successfully solving cat behavior problems since 1990. Offering both on-site and phone consultation sessions, Marilyn’s expert advice solves diverse cat behavior problems. Marilyn is the resident cat behaviorist for Cat Fancy Magazine and their web site, catchannel.com. I’m sure Allegra will keep you posted on future developments as a result of Marilyn’s recommendations!