June is Adopt-A-Cat Month – Share Your Cat Adoption Stories

Sponsored by the American Humane Association and the CATalyst Council, Adopt-a-Cat Month is designed to help make a difference in the lives of cats.

Approximately 4 million cats end up in shelters every year, including thousands born every spring and summer during “kitten season.” Your local shelter and rescue group is brimming with cats of every breed, age and personality just waiting for a loving home. Whether you prefer young and frisky or mature and mellow, you’re sure to find the perfect cat companion during Adopt-A-Cat Month!

The Conscious Cat wants to hear your stories!  Did you adopt your cat from a shelter or rescue group?  What made you pick this particular cat over all the others at the shelter?  Or did kitty pick you?  Do you work or volunteer at a shelter?  Do you have a favorite adoption story?

Leave your story in a comment, and, if you’d like, introduce the shelter or rescue group you adopted your kitty from and leave a link in the comment so they can get some recognition, too.   At the end of the month, we’ll pick the most heart-touching story, and the winner will receive an autographed copy of Buckley’s Story.

16 Comments on June is Adopt-A-Cat Month – Share Your Cat Adoption Stories

1. JaneA
    June 28, 2010 at 2:41 pm (9 years ago)

Thomas was three years old when he found himself at the Camden-Rockport Animal Rescue League (www.crarl.org) with his kitty sisters. Their person had to go to a nursing home and nobody else wanted to take care of them. All three of the cats got sick when they first arrived, but the girls recovered quickly. Thomas, on the other hand, was so heartsick that he couldn’t fight off the germs and the virus really got to him.

I heard about Thomas from the editor of the newspaper where I was working. He knew I love cats (I wrote a cat column that appeared in the paper from time to time) and asked me if I’d be interested in a cat. I’m a sucker for a sob story, so I said I’d go and meet him. When I stopped at the shelter, I could hear him crying and wailing from the isolation room as soon as I walked in the door.

I expected a fairly nondescript cat, but when I looked in his cage, I saw a very handsome fellow–gray stripes on his back, the top of his head, and his tail, a cute brown/beige spot on his chin, and a beautiful white tummy, with white boots and mittens to match. The poor guy’s nose was encrusted with snot and his eyes were drippy. But he rubbed his head so hard against the cage and looked at me with a plea in his sea-green eyes.

I opened the door of his cage and he hopped out and sat on my lap, purring as hard as he could (even with a nose full of snot). I fell in love with him at that moment and promised him that I’d take him home as soon as he got better.

But then Thomas got really sick: he lost his appetite and the shelter staff had to force-feed him. There were times when they weren’t sure he was going to survive. But somewhere inside him, he found the reserves to keep fighting (I like to think it was because I visited him as often as I could and sent him Reiki at least a couple of times a week.)

One day I went to the shelter and Thomas was gone. “Where did Thomas go?” I asked the person at the reception desk. “Is he OK, or did … did he not make it?” The staffer told me Thomas was very much alive and someone else decided to adopt him and his sisters. I tried to be happy about Thomas’s good fortune; after all, it’s pretty rare that someone wants to adopt three cats at the same time, and I was grateful to that family for giving Thomas a good home with his sisters.

About two weeks later, I got a call from the shelter: “Are you still interested in Thomas?” I said, “Yes, absolutely!” and asked what happened. Apparently his sisters had forgotten who he was and he and they were constantly fighting. As a result, his “adopters” kicked him back to the shelter. I went to C-RARL the next day to fill out the adoption application.

Poor Thomas! He was totally in shock, wondering what he did wrong and still trying to heal from the grief and heartbreak of losing his person. I brought him home and set him up in my home office in order to engineer a gradual introduction to Sinead and Siouxsie, my current feline housemates. Thomas spent the first day and most of the second day in hiding; he slunk out of his carrier were to eat and to use the litterbox. On the second day he timidly took up residence in my lap while I worked. I gave him Ignatia, a homeopathic remedy indicated for deep-seated fear and grief. After the first dose, he started acting braver. After a couple more doses, he was sitting by the French door in my office, looking at Sinead and Siouxsie and chatting with his high-pitched “meep-meep” as they went about their business. Gradually I introduced him to his feline roommates, and as time passed they got used to him.

Now, six years later, Thomas is the most outgoing and friendly cat I’ve ever seen. He loves people and has no qualms about cuddling with them. In 2006 I adopted another cat, Dahlia, from the Humane Society of Knox County (http://humanesocietyofknoxcounty.org/). Thomas fell in love with her the moment he saw her, and they’ve been snuggle-buddies ever since.

2. Juliet Farmer
    June 18, 2010 at 10:43 am (9 years ago)

When we decided to adopt our two cats from our local ASPCA shelter, my husband and I each had a cat in mind. I was looking for a black cat, and he wanted an orange tabby. Our black cat, who I named Moxie, was a teeny little ball of fluff when we chose her. Our tabby, who we named Flynn, was a lanky wild boy. I was undergoing chemotherapy at the time, and was mindful of not getting scratched by either cat. Moxie was fine, but Flynn was a challenge. He was a wild animal through and through, and we had to keep him locked in the office while he adjusted, lest he “playfully” kill Moxie, which he tried to do. One morning my husband went in to spend some time with Flynn, and Flynn bolted for freedom and started running around the house like a maniac – he wound up on top of the dining room table with one foot in my cereal bowl and an “uh oh” look on his face. Over time, he settled down, and when I sent in my adoption pictures and updates to the SPCA, I got a call from one of the volunteers who had looked up Flynn in their records (he had been aptly named “Roudy” at the shelter). Apparently he had been adopted out of the City shelter and returned to the SPCA a week later, as the previous adopters had given up on him. He’s such a love now, and whenever he jumps on our bed and wiggles between us puring up a storm, my hsuband and I look at him and say, “Somebody gave up on you!” Good thing for us that they did. 🙂

3. Cindy
    June 18, 2010 at 10:20 am (9 years ago)

The story of how Coco Noelle Frederique Welch Sylvin found her furever home: In April of 2009 I lost my tuxedo soulmate Noelle who I had raised from the age of six month until almost age 14. Noelle was truly my soulmate. We bonded in a way that I could not imagine a cat owner and cat could have ever bonded. After Noelle’s death I was absolutely crushed and was certain I would never get another cat. Why? So I could be crushed again when that one passed? But my husband knew that what I needed only another cat could provide. In June we started making tentative look-sees at shelters and pet adoption weekends in Alexandria, VA. There was no connection though and I was sure there never would be.

Then a friend of mine showed me a kitten on the Arlington Shelter website. I was interested so I went to take a look, but by the time I got to the shelter applilcation paperwork had already been done by someone else for her. Another blow. Then I looked at the cat in the cage directlly above the kitten I came to see. This was an older cat, not a kitten like I wanted and it was a tabby…not a tuxedo like a wanted. But when I looked into this cat’s eyes it was like she knew me and was waiting for me. I asked about her and she had been adopted and returned twice for no other reason but that “it didn’t work out.” What…was this cat like a tee-shirt that didn’t fit so it could be returned I thought. We brought her into the little visiting room and she curled in my arms and I was done. That was it. While there will always be a special place in my heart for my sweet baby Noelle, I realized that there was also room in my heart for a new love. We’ve had Coco now for almost exactly a year, and it was one of the best decisions we’ve ever made. I wanted to take home all of the kitties in the shelter that day, but at least I saved one. And she saved me too.

4. Jennifer
    June 11, 2010 at 12:22 pm (9 years ago)

I was so sad after Naomi, my constant companion and best friend for the past thirteen years, died last May. I couldn’t even think about getting another cat for months. In January, my friend persuaded me to look at pictures of adoptable kitties at http://www.towncats.org, and we were both drawn to a petite gray kitty who was blind from toxoplasmosis.

I went to visit her, and, well, love at first sight it wasn’t. Brie was a rescue cat from a ranch, had never been socialized to humans, and had spent more than a year in a cage. I tried petting her. She swatted me. Hmm. I went home, but couldn’t stop feeling sorry for this little cat that no one was willing to give another chance. I got some opinions from people on Twitter who assured me that it was possible to socialize a blind kitty, went back to the shelter, and brought her home as a foster kitty.

Brie spent the first few days cowering in her cage. However, a few months later, she is a fearless condo explorer, crinkly-item-swatter, and tummy rub aficionado. She’s still shy around people she doesn’t know, but flops over and purrs for me at least ten times a day. She’s hardly recognizable as the cat I first met cowering in the corner of her cage, and having her here has made such an obvious difference for both of us.

5. Karen Cameron
    June 8, 2010 at 10:03 pm (9 years ago)

The story of Mr Kitsy Hobbes.
    I live in Montana and we get extremely cold weather. Last October my husband and I were driving home on a Thursday night, at around 6:30 P.M. There was an early winter storm predicted for that night and it was already snowing. The temperature was rapidly dropping to below 0* as dark was coming upon us. We had just turned onto our road, which is a narrow gravel road that winds up a few curves into the forest. For a mile or two there are no houses around. In the middle of the road my husband spotted a little yellow kitten all curled up in a ball. He stopped to get a better look and also to not run over it. Apparently some horrible person had just dumped this kitten off in the road. At soon as we stopped, the tiny yellow kitten bolted into the ditch under a thorn bush. We followed it and tried and tried to find it. We could hear him weakly mewing from somewhere under the bush. I got down on my belly and crawled in under the bush as far as I could and try to see him. I spotted him curled up as small as he could get at the base of the bush. I reached for him, but he bolted to the other side. I got up and tried the same approach on the other side, but he was keeping out of reach. My husband and I both realized that if we couldn’t catch this kitten, it would surely die that night. After several tries, I got the idea to hang my scarf up on one side of the bush, crawl under another side where he could see me, and have my husband stand by the only escape route and try to catch this little guy, knowing that we probably had only one chance. Well, it worked, He got scooped up pretty quickly. He was so weak he couldn’t really even fight. He was shivering. His eyes and nose were crusty and runny, and he was just fur and bones. I wrapped him up in my scarf and took him home. Immediately he ate the tuna that we offered him and snuggled right down to sleep in each of our laps as we took turns warming him. Today, 8 months later, he is a big handsome sweetheart of a cat. My whole family loves this cat. We always say that he won the lottery that cold night last October. Oh, we did get about 12 inches of snow that night and it was -6 degrees.

6. Ingrid
    June 5, 2010 at 12:04 pm (9 years ago)

These stories are wonderful! Keep them coming!

7. Roseann Broz
    June 4, 2010 at 3:16 pm (9 years ago)

About 15 years ago I paid a visit to the local Friends of Cats shelter here in San Diego. I wanted to get a kitten to be a friend to my 17 year old, Bootsie, who was blind and nearing her final days.

When I went to the kitten shack I sat down and immediately heard a rather loud mewing coming from across the room. I said “Hi there little one” as a very small black kitty headed my way. She immediately crawled into my lap purring loudly and fell asleep. That is how my little Willow adopted me. She was a good buddy to Bootsie until the end.

I lost Willow a couple of years ago, but she still lives on in my heart today. I think the best thing anyone can do is give a home to a shelter cat.

8. Kristie Hamilton
    June 4, 2010 at 10:47 am (9 years ago)

Hi All –

We are having a contest each week to win a case of Adopt-a-Cat Scratching pads for your favorite animal shelter. We’d love it if you all entered! This week we are asking people to tell us a heartwarming cat adoption story. Share your story on our facebook page, http://bit.ly/97eQ03 .

Our company has 38 office cats – all rescues! Many of them had hard lives before finding their way to our door, but now they are some of the most lucky cats around, as they are spoiled constantly with new cat scratchers, toys and treats. The only work they have is posing for product pictures every now and then, other than that, they have it made!

9. susan
    June 3, 2010 at 11:37 pm (9 years ago)

Wonderful story, I love the name Snow Carrot but, Cate is a great name. Yes, you will eventurally find your Ragdoll at a shelter. Take care of your new fur babes!

10. Rita Dean
    June 3, 2010 at 7:49 pm (9 years ago)

I am 54 years old, have always loved kitties of every size and color, and for the first time ever, I chose 2 young female kitties from local shelters to be my special pets. Let me clarify, these are not the first cats I have owned, I’ve had dozens of cats over the years, but they have always found me. I had never selected a cat myself.

I was looking thru Petfinder.com night after night, hoping a local cat would touch my heart. The first one to do so was called “seven” and was nearly 2 years old. She didn’t have a very good picture and had never been given a real name. But I talked to her foster mom and decided I wanted to meet seven. Her color had been described as dilute calico as a kitten, but her coloring kept changing as she matured. She now is a text book image of a Somali cat, and I have named her Somali Molly. She looks like a little red fox with a beautiful plume of a tail, and her personality is as sweet as could be.

I knew I wanted 2 young females, so I continued my search. Molly had come from Stop The Suffering in Newark, Ohio. I didn’t find another cat with their organization, but soon found another girl that was just listed with Poplar Creek Rescue in Baltimore, Ohio. Ohio was not spared the hard winter of 2010 with deep snow and cold temps. This cat rescue had just found a cardboard box at the end of their driveway one morning following a heavy snow storm. Two days later they found the cat. She was white with flame point markings. Her little orange tipped ears and tail looked like carrots in the snow, hence her name, Princess Snow Carrot. It was that name that I read on Petfinder.com that drew me to this cat. They had not yet taken her picture for upload. I went to meet her. She was still in isolation until her vet visit, and she was timid. I sat quietly with Deborah, the rescuer, and chatted while Snow Carrot got comfortable with us. I left the shelter feeling undecided, you see, I had also been offered an opportunity to buy a 4 month old purebred Rag Doll cat, my dream cat. I really wanted the Rag Doll kitty, but I didn’t want 3 cats just now. I slept on it. By the next day, I had made a decision. My heart would not let me spend so much money on a fancy purebred cat when so many wonderful cats are at the shelter. I called Deborah and let her know that I wanted to bring Princess Snow Carrot to live with me as soon as her veterinary visit and spaying was complete.

Snow Carrot has been named Cate. Cate and Molly have become good friends and play mates and I adore them. In addition I have made a new friend in Deborah, the lady from Poplar Creek Rescue, Baltimore, Ohio. I’ve never known anyone who gives more of themselves to the care and rescue of cats (and dogs). I am truly blessed to have my two precious girls, and I’ve been busy taking pictures if you’d like to see them.

Proof that you can find any breed of cat at the shelters. I now have a gorgeous Somali cat and a lively and beautiful flame point shorthair. And maybe someday, I will add a Ragdoll.

My summary: apparently there is alot to be said for naming the pet. Both cats grabbed my attention for their names, Seven and Princess Snow Carrot.

11. Beth ODell
    June 3, 2010 at 3:09 pm (9 years ago)

6 mos after the deaths of my 2 cats,( one from cancer the other from leukemia) I decided it was time for a new companion. “Taylor” was the runt of her litter and instantly stole my heart. She was at an adoption event with her foster mom and within a week, she was home with me. Within the first week her eye began to swell, eventually swelling completely closed. Regular vet and opthalmologist visits and several hundred dollars later, I was told that she most likely would have to have the eye removed as it had probably burst due to the infection. She was too tiny to anesthetize to confirm so I was given antiviral meds and told to return in one month, hoping for the best. I turned to a reiki healer – my friend Dena, for help. Taylor came to work with me every day and 2-3 times a day Dena performed Reiki on her for a week. By the end of that week, we noticed a tiny slit appearing between the 2 eyelids. By Sunday the swelling was gone and the lids opened to reveal a beautiful – and intact – eye!! No ongoing problems and the doctors were amazed!

Taylor had A LOT of energy and wanted A LOT of attention so after 6 mos I called her foster mom to tell her I wanted to get her a friend. She had “Lainey” in mind. Lainey had been dumped in an alley among a pack of feral cats. She had a litter of kittens when Natalie found her, living in a hole under a warehouse with a family of opossums. Lainey is the most beautiful, mellow lap cat you have ever seen. Breaks my heart to this day to think of someone dumping what was obviously a family pet at one point into that dark world!!
    When I went to feed the ferals with Natalie, Lainey bolted out of the shadows and flew into Natalie’s arms. I knew right then that she’d be coming home with me. Her kittens were all adopted to loving homes but I definitely got the pick of the litter!!

I am so blessed to have these 2 little souls with me! Every day is another opportunity to laugh and snuggle! Thank you Kitten Rescue for the work you do to help the ones that cannot help themselves!

12. Pam Keener
    June 3, 2010 at 9:46 am (9 years ago)

I was always a dog person. I really didn’t know alot about cats so when my girlfriend & I went to That Fish Place, That Pet Place in Lancaster, PA the Lancaster Humane League had a cats for adoption area. She said lets go in and I reluctantly went. When I was sanitizing my hands this little kitty reached out of his crate and tapped my shoulder. Well I guess you can say he had me at hello. I remember getting him and the girl saying don’t bring him back if he doesn’t get along with the dogs. Ok the whole way home I was terrified. What did I just do? 9 years later and CB is the bestest and he rules the pack of a golden retriever and a german shorthaired pointer. My only regret is that I didn’t adopt his litter mate too. I will always adopt rescues in dogs and cats even seniors as I did with the German Shorthair Pointer.
    Love & Hugs,
    Pam

13. Mason Canyon
    June 3, 2010 at 9:14 am (9 years ago)

With our kitties, they adopted us (or at least the grandmother of them did). Fluff just showed up one day and stayed thankfully. She was a great cat. Little One is a granddaughter. Gum Drops’ mother was also a stray that someone left. She didn’t stay long and left, but we got to keep Gum Drop.

Mason
    Thoughts in Progress

14. Marg
    June 3, 2010 at 7:23 am (9 years ago)

I get so sad when hearing about all the animals in the shelters. But it will be fun to hear the stories about kitties that have been rescued from shelters.
    I have not gotten a kitty from a shelter, all the cats here have found me and there are so many of them, that there isn’t room to get any more. I would love to go get them all. Sometimes, I just wish I was rich so I could have a huge place for all the shelter cats.
    Anyway, I am looking forward to hearing the stories.

2Pingbacks & Trackbacks on June is Adopt-A-Cat Month – Share Your Cat Adoption Stories

1. […] to all who shared their wonderful adoption stories – please be sure to read all of them, they’re truly moving and a testament to the bond between […]

2. Want a Good Deal on a Used Cat? « The Creative Cat says:

[…] addition, our friend Ingrid King of The Conscious Cat is asking for your adoption stories, and at the end of June the most touching story will win an autographed copy of Buckley’s […]