Ask the Vet With Dr. Kris: Dr. Kris Answers June’s Questions

ask-the-vet

Welcome to our regular “Ask the Vet With Dr. Kris” segment! Once a month, Dr. Kris answers as many of your questions as he can, and you can leave new questions for him in a comment.

Dr. Kristopher Chandroo is a veterinarian, scientist, photographer, animal welfare advocate, and creator of Stress to Success (STS): The Essential Guide to Medicating Your Feisty, Grumpy or Reluctant Cat.  Dr. Kris wants  your cats to be twenty years old. And counting! And he wants to provide medication and therapy to them in a way that respects the bond between cat and human.

Here are Dr. Kris’ answers to some of your questions asked in June. If your question didn’t get answered here, Dr. Kris will answer them on his own website in the future. Subscribe to his updates so you’ll be notified when the answers are published.

11-year-old cat with cancer of the spleen

Hi there. I have an 11-year-old cat named Tom, and he was diagnosed with spleen cancer early this year. I want to do a splenectomy and maybe chemo, but the procedures are expensive and I can’t afford them. I feel like if I just him “go” my heart will be broken, and I’m not sure what to do. The vet is great and we are giving him meds for his other conditions (thyroid, hepatitis and a heart issue stemming from the thyroid problem) as well as meds for blood in his stool but we aren’t really treating “the cancer” so to speak right now. I am wondering if it would be good for Tom to have the surgery and maybe chemo if needed, assuming I can find the money, or if putting him through surgery would be hard on him. My vet thinks it would be a quick procedure and might give Tom more time, but I want him to feel better too—that would be my main reason for trying this. I’ve been reading your site for awhile and thought I’d ask your opinion. Thanks so much!

There is one very important thing I want you to know.

You’ll never be that person that “will just let him go”.

And this will remain true, whether you opt for surgery or not.

I’ve seen dogs and cats do amazingly well after removing the spleen, and have years of happiness.

I’ve had a patient die within 48 hours after splenectomy. A splenectomy that got paid for with credit cards. There were two ways those folks could have responded. Anger is the first way. Instead, they printed a portrait of me and their pet they took years earlier in an exam room, gave it to me as a gift, and broke down and cried. It is hard watching grown men cry.

You will always feel conflicted about making a decision like this. One way won’t ever be right over the other.

If you do the surgery, I always tell people that we are hoping for the best, but we must be prepared to say goodbye much faster than we would like.

If you don’t do the surgery, then you need to believe that there is something called “dying well”.

That even when our bodies are passing, which all of our bodies will do, that we can still nurture and tend to our relationships. So this valuable, special time we have left is honored.

So your heart will still break. But you won’t ever be just letting him go.

Should you toilet train a cat?

How successful are these kits which tell you that you can train your cat to use a toilet? Do they actually work? Is it traumatic for the cat. I am old live alone, and am starting to have trouble bending down to clean the litter box.

Ingrid’s reply: I’m sure Dr. Kris will address this, Terry, but in the meantime, here’s my input: I don’t believe cats should be toilet trained – it goes against their natural instinct. You may want to take a look at this litter scoop, which can be used without having to bend down: http://amzn.to/2rlPI3I

Dr. Kris’ reply: I agree with Ingrid on this. Training a cat to use the toilet is a testament to how trainable and adaptable our cats can be. If done right, and you have a healthy, non-arthritic cat, I would not call it traumatic, it can be done.

But there is much to be said for proper scratching and burying behavior in the litter box. I’m sure within the population of millions of cats, there are folks out there who have cats doing well with the toilet training, or have some combination of toilet and ground choices.

Having said that, it sounds like the litter box needs to get closer to you, or the scoop needs to get closer to the litter box.

A cat can climb a short hill, find a great place to use the bathroom, then come back down. They are going to the bathroom on an incline.

So, there aren’t any rules that say you can’t put the litter box up on something sturdy, so the cat walks or jumps up to use it, and you don’t have to bend down as much. Of course you have to do it so your cat feels good about using it this way.

I’ve got 35 year old turtles (the red-ear slider types you used to see in dime stores). I’ve had them since I was a little kid. They live in my living room in a converted outdoor pond. It’s so well designed, if you didn’t look, you wouldn’t know at first they were there (they do like their privacy sometimes). But instead of on the floor, it’s on a very sturdy Ikea coffee table with a metal base. So for maintenance, I’m not wrecking my back…and I like my turtles off the floor, and they get to look out the window and see the whole world.

I’m sure in the comment section people might tell you about their experiences with hi-tech litter boxes (self-cleaning etc), and of course, that long scoop Ingrid mentioned might be just the ticket.

Good luck!

Male cat “pretends” to spray

One of our four-year-old neutered male cats (they’re brothers we adopted when they were three months old) “pretends” to spray–he backs up to something, usually a cabinet door, and does the shimmy/wiggle as if he’s marking. He’s not bothering us or anything, and obviously nothing is coming out, but what’s his deal with this? His brother does it too every once in a while, but I get the idea he’s just being a copycat (however, our copycat is also weird; he has a thing for carrots–they make him crazy. Catnip does nothing for him but a give him a piece of a carrot and he rolls around on it).

Ha ha ha. Your cats are hilarious!

This is what I want to know. Are you guys eccentric or quirky!? At least a little bid nerdy? Please tell me yes. Please tell me you have the quirkiest family with quirky cats, because that would be the best thing ever.

This sounds normal to me…normal for an awesome weirdo, full of personality quirky cat who will show you a diversity of behavior that only he or she knows the reason to.

Cat doesn’t like to be stroked

I’m looking after a friend’s cat. She likes to be stroked because she comes running and rubs herself against me. She will tolerate a brief petting on the head and neck but if I stroke her too much, she spits and hisses and lashes out. She doesn’t like the base of her tail being touched either – something that a lot of cats like. Do you think there might be a physical reason why she doesn’t like being stroked? Does this sound normal behaviour? I have had several cats in my life, all of them enjoying a stroke more than this cat.

Providing your friend’s cat is healthy (i.e. no debilitating arthritis, anxiety, cystitis etc. etc. etc.), I often call this NYSS.

New York Subway Syndrome.

Which, is, just because I come close to you, sit right beside you, and then our bodies happen to touch on a crowded subway, it doesn’t mean I give you permission to purposefully touch me. And if you do, despite the fact I’m sitting right next to you, and I’m really attractive, look out cause I’m gonna go all ninja on ya.

It’s not just a cat thing.

Cat with eosinophilic syndrome

My cat is being treated for Eosinophilic syndrome. His white cell count is very high but shows nothing definitive. He is on treatment w/ steroids, and has a feeding tube in as he lost weight and was not eating. He as put on some weight and eats some. I was wondering what else we can do? I have even tried a couple of sessions of acupuncture!

Oh no! Sorry to hear this. I am happy he has gained some weight!

The fact that his appetite has dropped means we must consider chronic eosinophilic leukemia. I’m not saying that he has that, but it is worth a discussion about that with your vet. There are other reasons as well (feline gastrointestinal eosinophilic sclerosing fibroplasia), and usually you need an ultrasound to suss them out. I would also want to know what this kitty’s vitamin B12 situation is. Those are all talking points I would take your vet.

Best wishes!

Do you have a question for Dr. Kris?
Leave it in a comment!

Embrace banner with seal

16 Comments on Ask the Vet With Dr. Kris: Dr. Kris Answers June’s Questions

1. Tracy
    August 1, 2017 at 10:08 pm (3 weeks ago)

Thanks so much for replying to my post, Dr. I appreciate it so much. And, after a lot of thinking I’ve decided not to put Tom through the surgery. Going to enjoy him and care for him and when the time comes, let him go. Although it’s never going to be easy, I feel better about this now.

Thanks again so much,
    Tracy

2. Sarah
    July 19, 2017 at 10:05 am (1 month ago)

Hi Dr Kris,

My 4 year old indoor/outdoor male cat (Hansel Von Whiskerheimer:) has developed a habit of backing up to the nearest wall or other object, looking me in the eye, and urinating with his tail up and a little butt wiggle. This behavior seems to always follow a request he has made that I have not attended to immediately. He will meow and if I don’t feed him or even just give him some attention, he walks over to me, stares right at me, and pees. There has only been one time when the urine has had the “cat marking smell”-otherwise it just smells like urine. Also, he only does this with me-not my husband, sister, or any of the cat sitters.

So far my theory is that he first developed this habit when he had a UTI in the winter and needed to go outside (he prefers to urinate outside) as soon as he felt the urge and it was his way of telling me to hurry up and let him out, but since then it has continued. He has had a urinalysis on multiple occasions and the vet can’t find anything medically wrong with him. This has been going on for over a year at this point. It’s not every day but usually just when I think he has stopped, he will do it again. I have added a couple more cats to my household, so I could see that being a trigger. I don’t want to be reinforcing the behavior by giving him food/treats/cat nip on demand, but I also don’t want my house to be covered in pee! before this particular behavior began, he would knock over as many things as he could if I did not meet his meow request immediately. I thought that was annoying, but I would take a spilled cup of water or broken vase over a urine soaked yoga mat any day. Do you have any ideas for behavior modification? I just started giving him extra attention all the time since he now has other cats to compete with, but other than that, I really am at a loss. Thanks!

• Sharon Bilotta-Testa
      July 20, 2017 at 11:36 am (1 month ago)

He is marking (spraying)his space even if he’s fixed they still do this

3. Star
    July 18, 2017 at 9:00 pm (1 month ago)

What are your thoughts about treating cats with homeopathy?
    My rescue cat has most recently been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. I am trying a remedy, but thinking I will do the traditional meds. Also, he has tested positive for exposure to the Corona virus, originally the vet thought he definitely had FIP, but now she doesnt. Can you please comment on the Corona virus? It is my understanding that many are exposed, but in only a few does it mutate into FIP

4. Donna Baumoehl
    July 18, 2017 at 4:22 pm (1 month ago)

I don’t want to receive daily emails but am interested I your site.

5. Rose Outsey
    July 18, 2017 at 5:45 am (1 month ago)

We received a new 11 week old kitten. My 2 1/2 year old cat hissed at him and seems upset. What can I do to unite them?

6. Laura Sorochan
    July 17, 2017 at 10:28 pm (1 month ago)

My friends dog was playing with my dog a terrier.mine half German shepherd.next day he could hardly walk owner gave him dog pain killer.it helped dog started walking again but sways to the right some times when he walks could he have damaged his back or had something else happen to him .it’s on his right side .

7. Melody Carnell
    July 17, 2017 at 6:07 pm (1 month ago)

Dr Kris, my 9 year old cat is already on prednisone twice a day for arthritis in the rear spine/hips/legs but was still limping so the vet gave me Gabipetin to give to her, in liquid form, 1.5ml twice a day. She had no side effects but I had trouble giving her the liquid form so I asked for it in pill form. She was prescribed 50mg twice a day but all anyone had was the capsule form that I could not cut in half. After speaking to the vet about it, She just increased the dose, in capsule form to 100mg every 12 hrs. Her first dose she got that drunken sailor syndrome, balance was off, she couldn’t walk straight. Is this normal until a few doses? I’m wondering if that dose is too high for her starting off. Several blogs I read only had cats on doses of no higher than 50mg a day! My vet had increased her prednisone to twice a day since she was still limping and added Gabipetin saying sometimes you have to initially hit them hard in the beginning with higher doses then wean them back. Need some advice, I think the dose is too high, but I’m not a Dr. Thanks

8. Donna Baumoehl
    July 17, 2017 at 2:11 pm (1 month ago)

I have a male cat that I gave a home off the street for about 14-15 years. He has elevated liver and kidney enzymes as well as too many white blood cells. There is no money available to give him an ultrasound and whatever treatment he may need which probably won’t help. Now all I have to do is wait and he is still eating and functioning except that he no longer sleeps with and stays on my bed as he always did. I feel guilty even though I prevented him from having a life on the street where he wouldn’t have lived this long.

9. Louise K.
    July 17, 2017 at 12:24 pm (1 month ago)

Thank you for your nonjudgemental comments about cancer. My 15 year old cat had three surgeries about 6 months ago for lumps on chest that turned out to be Hemangiosarcoma, a pretty bad kind of cancer. The last surgery was quite aggressive. I opted not to seek out chemo, which would be hard to get in my semi-rural area.
    I think I can feel a lump coming back and I’ll know soon because they grow fast. I’ve already decided not to put my cat through more surgeries. They were hard on her emotionally. My vet was fine with that. My cat also has beginning renal failure and arthritis.
    To me, quality of life is more important than getting more months out of my cat.
    I hope lumps aren’t returning but if so I’ll deal with it day by day.

10. Ginger
    July 17, 2017 at 9:41 am (1 month ago)

I have a four year old that was sick wirh diarrhea a few mo ago. Now still a little wet giving probiotics every day much better but not normal Like before .could this be stress? All started with wellness cat food recall. I’ve changed to earthborn,my cats love plus wow

11. Debbie Ramsey
    July 17, 2017 at 6:50 am (1 month ago)

Hi Dr. Kris,

I have a very sweet 8 year old Tortie. We rescued her from my Mom 4 years ago. I love her to death but she is so needy. I understand she wants to be fed a 1/2 hour to an hour beforehand but she will not drink from her water bowl unless we show her there is water in there and she is not getting it from the faucet. She does not like watching her drinking but I tell her I am not leaving till she drinks it. You would think after 6 years she knows the drill. She screams all the time and makes me feel like I am not a good pet parent. Her daddy screams at her back. I tell him she is female you cannot win an argument with her. I am afraid her screaming is going to get us kicked out of are apartment well it has not for 4 years. What to do?

12. Sam Cee
    July 17, 2017 at 3:58 am (1 month ago)

Thanks Dr Kris. I’ll make sure I give the cat some space in future. I love the NYSS analogy.