Mews and Nips: Cats Provide Stress Relief at Japanese Company

cat-stress-relief-office

Japanese IT company Ferray introduced an office policy several years ago that allows staffers to bring their cats to work. A total of nine cats eat, sleep and wander around freely in the firm’s small offices. Company chief Hidenobu Fukuda also gives 5,000 yen ($45) a month to any staffer who rescues a cat. Click here to read more about this cat-friendly company.

If you missed any of the stories featured on the Conscious Cat this week, here’s a recap: on Monday, we told you about a cat who saved a soldier’s life, on Tuesday, we featured Balanced Blends raw food, on Wednesday, Mikel Delgado answered your behavior questions, on Thursday, we featured careers for cat lovers, and on Friday, we reviewed The Inner Life of Cats.

I recently came across this old video of Ruby trying to chase Allegra off the window perch in my office and thought I’d share it again today. Even though the video is a few years old, and even though we have two perches, one in my bedroom and one in my office, the scene still replays itself occasionally…

Have a great weekend!

contribute banner ad

8 Comments on Mews and Nips: Cats Provide Stress Relief at Japanese Company

1. Red
    June 5, 2017 at 1:54 am (4 months ago)

Hi, lovely site!

One wee comment– one of the words in your title can have an alternate meaning of being an anti-Japanese ethnic slur…

Cat people being goodhearted, sure that must be inadvertent.

June 5, 2017 at 5:10 am (4 months ago)

I’m glad you enjoy our site, Red. Mews and Nips has been the title of our weekly round up for a long time. “Nips” is derived from catnip. I had no idea that it could be interpreted as a racial slur – I actually had to look it up – and of course, it’s not intended that way!

2. Catherine J
    June 3, 2017 at 12:22 pm (4 months ago)

Wow what a great company! Also love your kitties; so cute!

3. NANCY FAULKNER
    June 3, 2017 at 9:53 am (4 months ago)

First, the girls have their moments. What one wants, the other does too. Have their catty days.

Would be nice if USA companies would allow at work. You hear about having dogs at work, but not cats! I too, would like to work at this company.

June 3, 2017 at 3:31 pm (4 months ago)

In Ruby’s mind, she is the dominant kitty in our home, Nancy 🙂

4. Janine
    June 3, 2017 at 8:17 am (4 months ago)

I would definitely want to work at this company if I lived there.

June 3, 2017 at 7:29 am (4 months ago)

Sounds like a wonderful company.

6. Summer
    June 3, 2017 at 2:18 am (4 months ago)

My human says that if she could afford to have an office and employees, she would have the same policies!