Global Pet Expo 2017: Highlights from The World’s Biggest Pet Product Show

Global-Pet-Expo-2017

This post contains affiliate links*

Last week I made my annual trip to Global Pet Expo in Orlando. This trade show is the largest pet product trade show in the US. To give you an idea of just how massive this show is: it’s the size of six football fields, with 7.5 miles of display space featuring 1,087 exhibitors in 3,218 booths. I tried to see as much as I could in three days, and I know I walked a lot more than 7.5 miles each day, or at least, I felt like I did! In the coming weeks and months, I’ll be bringing you a lot more information about some of the fantastic new products I saw there. Today, I’d like to share just a few highlights with you.

The pet industry is alive and well, and the expo is growing every year. The strongest growth appeared to be in the natural foods area. While it’s exciting to see so many companies step into that market, because it’s obviously what pet parents want, I worry about the quality of some of the products, since the term “natural” has no true definition, which makes it easy for companies to cut corners. I’ll share some of the quality products I discovered in that area with you soon.

noise-cancelling-cat-tunnel

My favorite product of the entire show comes from Pet Acoustics. Founded by Janet Marlow, who is known for her contribution to the understanding of pet hearing sensitivities and how sound and music affect the behavior of dogs, cats, horses and birds, Pet Acoustics focuses on species-specific products to reduce pet stress. Their Safe and Sound Cat Tunnel (center above) is made from the same noise-cancelling material that is used in the military’s humvees. I was blown away by just how much noise it cancels out when I stuck my head inside the tunnel. Almost all the ambient noise of the massive show hall completely disappeared. Right now the tunnel only comes in a pretty ugly black vinyl exterior, but hopefully, they will add prettier versions down the road, but in this case, I can forgive the lack of design because the functionality is so fantastic. They also make a bed and a carrier liner pad from the same material, which, in addition to canceling out noise, is also designed to reduce vibration. The bed comes with a little pocket to insert the Pet Tunes speaker. You’ll be hearing more from me about these products.

Jackson-Galaxy-Collection

The Jackson Galaxy Collection by Petmate offered a lot of new products, ranging from the fabulous Butterfly in a Ball to a number of new carriers to a large high-sided litter box, and my favorite, the Comfy Dumpling.

Primtime-Petz

I was excited to see the full line of Kate Benjamin’s Hauspanther collection as well as several new offerings at the Primetime Petz booth. Kate is bringing back both the Palm Springs Lounge and the Pet Lounge – look for more information about both of these products soon.

backpack-cat-carrier

These adorable Backpack Cat Carriers from Catysmile won Best in Show in the cat products category, and are available for pre-order from Hauspanther.

Hagen-global-pet-expo

Hagen’s Vesper cat furniture line keeps growing every year and comes in some new configurations and finishes. Look for more information about the new products soon. But even better: Hagen set up the entire Catit circuit at their booth, and brought in adoptable kittens from The Pet Alliance of Greater Orlando. The kittens had a blast testing everything out!

Lucy-Pet-Foundation

Our friends at Lucy Pet Foundation had their mobile spay and neuter clinic in the show hall. They offer free spay/neuter surgeries for low income families in the Greater Los Angeles area. Their goal is to have a mobile spay/neuter and adoption clinic in every city in the country. Mascot Ricky greeted visitors and posed for pictures.

Stay tuned for more information about some of these and other new products in the weeks and months to come!

*FTC Disclosure: The Conscious Cat is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon. This means that if you decide to purchase through any of our links, we get a small commission. We only spread the word about products and services we’ve either used or would use ourselves.

21 Comments on Global Pet Expo 2017: Highlights from The World’s Biggest Pet Product Show

1. Maureen
    March 30, 2017 at 9:00 pm (4 months ago)

Looks like you had a great time. I just bookmarked the Pet Acoustics site. I want to get that tunnel and the pet sounds item.
    Word of caution as far as Vesper- I bought one of their trees, it was great and had a memory foam pad etc. Turns out the foster I had in the room with the tree had ringworm. I had to throw away the pad and rip off the sisal posts. The sisal was easy to replace but, the memory foam pad was not. This was a year and 1/2 ago but, they do not replacements pads for their trees.

2. Deb Barnes - Zee and Zoey
    March 30, 2017 at 6:41 pm (4 months ago)

I’m glad you had a great time! Wish I could have been there. As you know, I always have fond memories of the expo, as that’s how I was fated to my sweet Jazmine (with a little help from you, too!!)

March 31, 2017 at 5:29 am (4 months ago)

I wish you could have been there, too! And while it took great restraint, I did not text you any photos of adoptable kittens this year…. 😉

3. Random Felines
    March 30, 2017 at 3:30 pm (4 months ago)

so many interesting things….we love that Catit was using adoptable kittens to showcase their products

4. Sharon Trafford
    March 30, 2017 at 1:57 pm (4 months ago)

Today’s article starts out addressing natural foods as the big issue at the expo, however, your presentation was silent re natural foods. Very disappointing.

March 30, 2017 at 2:23 pm (4 months ago)

As I mentioned in the article, I’ll have more information about some of the natural food products soon.

5. Lauren
    March 30, 2017 at 1:27 pm (4 months ago)

Hi Ingrid,

Thank you for the recap. I look forward to hearing more about specific products in the future. Did you notice any trends in litterboxes while you were there? I need to use very large plastic storage containers to accommodate my male cat’s preference for spraying all over the inside of the box. I’m always on the lookout for a commercial product that’s equally as cat-friendly and but more attractive to look at. So far, I’ve come up empty.

• Lauren
        March 30, 2017 at 2:47 pm (4 months ago)

Thanks, Ingrid. I did have one of the NVR Miss litterboxes briefly. I really liked the look of it, but unfortunately my cat can clear the top of that box by several inches!

March 30, 2017 at 5:07 pm (4 months ago)

They used to offer extensions to customers whose cats still peed over the NVR Miss, Lauren. You may want to contact the company to see if they still do that if you still have the box.

• Lauren
            March 30, 2017 at 8:12 pm (4 months ago)

I didn’t know that. Thanks, I think I’ll check into that. It’s about time for me to replace my current boxes anyway.

6. Caren Gittleman
    March 30, 2017 at 1:03 pm (4 months ago)

Fabulous recap! I think Kate’s cat carriers are so darned cute and I like the idea of the noise canceling tunnel that you mentioned!

7. Connie - Tails from the Foster Kittens
    March 30, 2017 at 11:56 am (4 months ago)

The Pet Acoustics tunnel was my favorite thing too. I picture using it for pregnant stray cats who might be overwhelmed in a home. I think I missed the butterfly display.. that looks like fun. I loved the Catysmile too, I just wish it had been a bit bigger.

8. Stephanie B
    March 30, 2017 at 10:45 am (4 months ago)

Amazing things, love those Hauspanther cat carriers to pre-order, so cute!!!

9. Janine
    March 30, 2017 at 8:33 am (4 months ago)

This looks like an incredible show.

10. Sometimes Cats Herd You
    March 30, 2017 at 5:56 am (4 months ago)

It was great seeing you at Global Pet Expo! I’m so glad you mentioned the Pet Acoustics tunnel. I was so fascinated by it that I forgot to take any photos, so I wasn’t able to include it in my blog post about the show. That technology has so many possibilities for helping cats have safe spaces!

March 30, 2017 at 1:45 pm (4 months ago)

That happened to me with a lot of products, Julie – I got sucked into talking to the reps, and then walked away without taking a picture!

11. Susan Russell
    March 30, 2017 at 5:19 am (4 months ago)

Ingrid, I am so sorry I missed seeing you at Pet Expo. This show is amazing and wonderful to see how it grows each year. I spent the day at the Hagen Catit booth on Thursday with our kittens. Yes, they had a blast trying everything out. The display kept them very busy all day and then they finally had a nap in a little heap. Catit’s new product, Tumbler BEE, was introduced at the show and the kittens loved it!

March 30, 2017 at 1:45 pm (4 months ago)

I’m so sorry I missed you, Susan! Did all the kittens get adopted?

12. Summer
    March 30, 2017 at 3:05 am (4 months ago)

Wow, those items from Pet Acoustics sound awesome! My human would like to know more about the noise-cancelling carrier liner. Although I am fine with flying, she is sure I’d be more comfortable if some of the noise could be cancelled out – car travel too (which I like less than flying).

13. SafePetHaven
    March 30, 2017 at 2:04 am (4 months ago)

So many cool things!