Cat Camp NYC: Celebrating All Things Cat

Cat-Camp-NYC

The inaugural Cat Camp NYC, a weekend that was all about celebrating cats and the many ways they enrich our lives, was a huge success. From educational lectures to informal roundtable discussions covering topics ranging from how to save orphaned kittens, help feral cats, design a home to provide an enriched environment for cats that is also pleasing to the human eye, to a keynote address by none other than Jackson Galaxy, the event drew thousands of cat lovers. In addition to the educational offerings, there were lots of vendors offering their cat-themed products.

cat-camp-nyc

This was an event after my own heart, because it focused on how to make cats’ lives better, whether it’s the lives of the feral cats hiding in New York City’s alleyways or the lives of our own spoiled house cats. Everyone who was there came because they loved cats – all cats.

cat-camp-nyc-ingrid-king

I hosted an hour long “Ask the Cat Expert Q&A” session on Saturday, and I probably could have kept going for hours. Thank you to all who attended my session, and for the great questions you asked.

Kitten-lady-hannah-shaw

with Kitten Lady Hannah Shaw

Kitten Lady Hannah Shaw delivered an inspirational seminar on how to help orphaned kittens that not only focused on the “how to” of feeding, cleaning and socializing, but also addressed the emotional aspects of fostering kittens, including the challenges of compassion fatigue.

kate-benjamin-jackson-galaxy-ingrid-king

Three of my favorite cat people: Dr. Jane Brunt, Kate Benjamin and Jackson Galaxy

Kate Benjamin‘s lecture on feline design and how to create a living space that meets cats’ needs but is also pleasing to the human eye offered wonderful suggestions ranging from simple and inexpensive solutions to showing us photos of incredible furniture and living designs that may not be affordable to the average cat guardian, but still offer inspiration for what’s possible.

robin-olson-kitten-associates

Robin Olson of Kitten Associates hosted an informal roundtable discussion where she and some of the attendees shared heartwarming rescue stories.

cat-camp-nyc

In between sessions, there was an entire floor of cat-themed vendors to browse through, offering cat paintings, notecards, cat beds, accessories, cat furniture, and more.

jackson-galaxy-cat-camp-nyc

The event ended with Jackson Galaxy’s keynote address. Even though I’ve known Jackson for many years, this was the first time I heard him speak, and I was blown away. He is not only thoroughly entertaining, but his genuine compassion for cats and his passion for making their lives better is nothing short of inspirational. He believes that every life matters, and that we all can do something to save more cats. I can’t think of a more purrfect message to close out this fantastic event.

13 Comments on Cat Camp NYC: Celebrating All Things Cat

1. Maureen
    March 16, 2017 at 12:41 am (5 months ago)

How about Cat Camp in Northern CA? San Francisco bay area to be precise. Seriously, what a great thing. I do wish they would have that in my area.

2. Deb Barnes - Zee and Zoey
    March 15, 2017 at 6:05 pm (5 months ago)

It was so great seeing you and I am sure this event is only going to get better and better!

March 16, 2017 at 5:50 am (5 months ago)

It was so good to see you, too, Deb!!

3. Lola The Rescued Cat
    March 15, 2017 at 3:19 pm (5 months ago)

It was great seeing you at Cat Camp. I’m looking forward to the event next year.

4. Random Felines
    March 15, 2017 at 1:45 pm (5 months ago)

what a great idea…..we hope they continue to do this (and maybe somewhere cheaper to stay than NYC)

5. Jackie Pasquini
    March 15, 2017 at 11:48 am (5 months ago)

I wanted to attend Cat Camp so badly, but I am getting ready to move cross country to Arizona, and also in the middle of selling condo. Too many people requiring my time! Maybe there will be something similar close to my new home in the future.

6. Nancy Faulkner
    March 15, 2017 at 10:15 am (5 months ago)

Wish I could have been there, to meet you! To see all the events and products. Also to meet the Kitten Lady and Jackson!

It seems the cat camps are always on either coasts. How about a cat camp in the midwest! I live in Wisconsin. Have not seen a cat camp here.

7. Caren Gittleman
    March 15, 2017 at 9:14 am (5 months ago)

What a fabulous, fabulous recap Ingrid! Oh how I wish I could have gone! I would have LOVED to attend your session, Jackson’s, Kate’s and others. Some of my favorite people/vendors were there! Paws crossed that I can get there next year! Thank you for sharing this!

8. Janine
    March 15, 2017 at 7:59 am (5 months ago)

This sounds like such a fun and informative event. I wish Dallas had something like this. I would definitely go.

9. Shelley DelRocco
    March 15, 2017 at 5:27 am (5 months ago)

CatcampNYC was a great event. We met so many fellow furfriends and learned a lot and saw so many new products that are great for felines and will enrich their lives. Good time!

• Caren Gittleman
      March 15, 2017 at 9:15 am (5 months ago)

I am kicking myself that I couldn’t get there to FINALLY meet you in person!!!! Ugh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Summer
    March 15, 2017 at 3:17 am (5 months ago)

What an awesome event! My human wishes she could have been there!

March 15, 2017 at 5:13 am (5 months ago)

I wish your human could have been there, too, Summer – it’s been too long since I’ve seen her!