The Right Diet for Cats with Kidney Disease

fedd-cat-kidney-disease

Guest post by Dr. Elizabeth Colleran

Frequently, the first advice guardians of a cat who was just diagnosed with kidney disease hear from the veterinarian is that the cat should eat a renal “prescription diet”. That’s because there are research trials that have shown that restricted protein diets can prolong renal function. However, there is more to feeding a cat with compromised kidney function than simply restricting protein. The consequences of making poor dietary choices in these cats can be dire.

Cats are hypercarnivores

Cats are unique among carnivores in that they are “hyper-carnivores.” They cannot survive, let alone thrive, without protein. Adequate, high quality protein is essential for a functioning immune system, hormone production and a world of other uses for the building blocks of protein, amino acids. Unlike other mammals, in addition to all that, cats can’t efficiently make energy from anything other protein.

When protein is inadequate, cats’ bodies start to use the protein they have – the muscle they carry on that lovely frame. Even overweight cats may lose muscle mass if they are getting too many calories from fat and carbohydrates. Several recent research studies have shown that cats who lose muscle in this way die sooner, acquire more and more severe diseases, and have a poorer quality of life.

How protein restriction impacts healthy body condition

In addition to protein restriction, renal diets contain additional potassium, lower sodium, low phosphorus and, in some cases, added Omega-3 fatty acids. All of these components are good for cats with kidney disease. What may not be desirable is the limited protein.

One recent study showed that cats require 40-45% protein on a dry matter basis to maintain good body condition. Another study shows that cats over 12 years of age, just about the time that their kidneys may be working less well, become less efficient at metabolizing fat and protein. This study concluded that cats over 12 may require 25% more calories and protein to maintain their body condition than younger cats.

There is no single diet that is right for all cats with kidney disease

We need to stop thinking that any one diet is good for all cats with chronic progressive kidney disease. The far more important question to ask may not be how much protein, but how good the protein is.

In addition, as cats have more progression of their kidney disease sometimes appetites diminish a bit. Since cats choose food based upon three characteristics: texture or “mouth feel”, aroma and taste, we must live by the golden cat rule: “it is more important that she eats than what she eats.” Attempting to impose our ideas about good food can imperil them should they not agree. Choose the best canned food your cat will enthusiastically consume.

Cats in the wild are wary of change. They will sniff a new prey before consuming it and if that food is perceived to cause discomfort or an upset tummy, they will NEVER eat it again. Some cats experience a bit of nausea from their kidney disease. It must be treated so that they don’t associate that discomfort with the food you offer. If they do, that food will end up in the garbage along with any other variety you may select in the future.

The importance of water for cats with kidney disease

Water consumption is one key to preserving as much functioning kidney tissue as possible and thereby preserving quality of life. Though cats with kidney disease consume lots of water, it is in large part because their kidneys cannot retain it as efficiently as they used to. So the universal truth is “the more moisture the better” – that means no or as little dry food as possible, flavored waters like tuna juice, clam juice, chicken broth, and canned food exclusively if possible. Some cats don’t mind “soupy” food so warm broth or water can be added to it. A water fountain and/or multiple places around the house to drink may be helpful. The other rule is “whatever way your beloved cat will drink”. Like us, they have their preferences!

Phosporus restriction and kidney disease

Restricting phosphorus may be even more important for cats with kidney disease than restricting protein. We know that the high phosphorus content found in higher protein diets can accelerate the decline of function when it gets trapped in the “work unit” of the kidney.

There are two ways that phosphorus is reported in food. Look for 0.3-0.6% on a “Dry Matter Basis” (DMB) or 0.7-1.26 grams per 1,000 calories. Phosphorus content is generally not available on food labels, but can be obtained by calling the food’s manufacturer. For easy reference, Dr. Lisa Pierson offers both a Phosphorus in Cat Food Chart and a Protein/Fat/Carbs Chart  on her site Catinfo.org.

Kidney values should be checked regularly, and the panel should include calcium and phosphorus levels. If the product of Calcium X Phosphorus is greater than 70 or Phosphorus is greater than 5 mg/dl in the blood, a phosphorus binder is needed. This binds the phosphorus from food in the gut rather than allowing it to be filtered by the kidney, which will often allow us to feed a protein replete diet that keeps cats well-muscled.

22-year-old Woody’s case

My 22-year-old Woody was diagnosed with early stage kidney disease in 2007. He gets a high protein diet with a phosphorus binder in each meal. He is also hyperthyroid and a handful. So I decided many years ago to try an iodine restricted diet rather than medication. After a time, I noticed that I could feel the bones on the top of his back, a sure sign that he was using up his muscle for energy. I had neglected to check the protein content which was less than 35%. His new diet is about 50% protein between the canned and dry formulas he likes and is willing to eat. He got all of his muscle back.

The importance of maintaining good muscle condition in older cats cannot be overstated. The ways we do that may vary from beloved cat to beloved cat, but the goal should always remain the same.

Dr. Elizabeth Colleran is a 1990 graduate of Tufts University School of Veterinary Medicine. She holds a Masters of Science in Animals and Public Policy, also from Tufts University School of Veterinary Medicine. In 2011, she was the President of the American Association of Feline Practitioners (AAFP). She is a Diplomate of the American Board of Veterinary Practitioners, Specialty in Feline Practice. As the spokesperson for the AAFP initiative Cat Friendly Practice, she speaks at major conferences around the country. Dr. Colleran owns the Chico Hospital for Cats in Chico, CA and the Cat Hospital of Portland in Portland, OR.

112 Comments on The Right Diet for Cats with Kidney Disease

1. Kate
    August 14, 2017 at 5:21 pm (5 days ago)

I have a 3 1/2 year female cat that I adopted about a year and half ago. She was diagnosed with kidney disease in December and the vet had me start feeding her only Royal Canin Renal D canned food, which I’ve been doing since then.

Well, I took her in again for a follow up blood test in July, only 7 months later and I was told that her kidney numbers were even worse than before. Which makes me think maybe this particular type of renal diet is not good for her.

Now the vet wants me to bring her in for an ultrasound that costs $450. I can’t afford to do that at this time and I’m really concerned since she’s only 3 years old.

Do you know anything about this particular brand of renal canned food? I’m definitely open to other suggestions or even homemade recipes. Thank you!

August 15, 2017 at 5:18 am (4 days ago)

3 years is very young and unusual for a cat to have kidney disease. I would definitely pursue additional diagnostics as soon as you can afford it.

As for your question about diet, most so-called prescription diets for kidney disease are low in protein, and I assume that that’s the case with this Royal Canin formula as well.

2. clay w
    July 10, 2017 at 5:05 pm (1 month ago)

Hi, can you tell me the name of cat food that is high in protein and low in phosphorus? The article mentioned it %50 with a phosphorus binder. I just need the name of the food and binder.
    I have an 18yr old tabby, cant see very well. She’s getting skinny, but her appetite is good. I need to ‘fatten” her up and get some of her muscle tone back.
    Thanks,

3. Jessi
    July 1, 2017 at 1:42 am (2 months ago)

Thanks for this info in this article. My 17 year old mainecoon was just diagnosed with kidney failure and has lost several pounds. Our vet of course prescribed kd food but my cat won’t have anything to do with it besides licking the gravy. I have more than exhausted my budget on multiple types of prescription food this month and have been searching the Internet for alternatives. I read info on raw food and decided to give that a try. I was going to try darwins prescription diet but because the smallest amount they will sell me is 70/80$ I just couldn’t spend that at the moment without a guarantee that my cat will eat it. So I went to my local pet food store and they gave me samples of Rad Cat to try and he seems to really be responding to chicken and turkey (I mix in epakitin). I’m thinking of going and buying some from them and maybe when i can afford it try the darwins. My question is will this be too rough on his kidneys? I’m kinda just happy he will eat something to be honest but I want to make sure I’m not giving him anything that will progressively cause damage. There is quite a bit of conflicting info about raw diets. Thanks.

July 1, 2017 at 5:02 am (2 months ago)

You’re going to want to check with Radcat to find out what the phosphorus content is in their formulas. Also, I’m pretty sure Darwin’s will guarantee their food if your cat won’t eat it – check with them before ordering.

• Jessi
        July 1, 2017 at 2:20 pm (2 months ago)

I spoke with Darwin’s and they didn’t tell my anything about a guarantee. They just said the smallest I could order is 10 pounds @73$$ and if my cat didn’t like it I could cancel their auto ship. I just sent a message to radcat. But what I’m gathering from their website (I am a totally beginner at this so I could be wrong) the phosphorus levels are .80 in both the chicken and turkey. What is the max that he is supposed to get per day? thanks for you help.

July 2, 2017 at 5:31 am (2 months ago)

As this article states, look for phosphorus levels of 0.3-0.6% on a “Dry Matter Basis” (DMB) or 0.7-1.26 grams per 1,000 calories. You’ll need to get clarification from Radcat on whether the 0.8 they quoted you is DMB or per 1K calories. I hope this helps.

• Sindy
        July 19, 2017 at 2:42 pm (1 month ago)

Hi, I need advice. My cat is 12 and really healthy but blood tests came in and vet said same level kidney as 2 years ago and some liver enzymes slightly elevated but she’s not worried yet said he’s 12 so it’s a bit normal for kidneys to be a bit more tired. Advised me to feed his prescription vet senior food ( I only feed can since my other cat developed diabetes I went on a mission about cat nutrition and was shocked. My cat ended up dying. ) my current cat has had recurring issues with struvites but not since I switched to can only for the past 3 years. I’ve been feeding him GO by petcurrean and absolutely love that company. He’s been having chicken turkey duck and duck only can food. The nutritionist at petcurean recommended Weruva, a competitor which I was pleasantly shocked by and said it’s low in phosphorus but I do need some phosphorus due to his urine crystals issues in the past. He’s not in kidney failure but I’m all about prevention. Can’t afford raw unfortunately and don’t have enough confidence in making it myself. I’m against feeding fish as I know that can cause thyroid issues, I read somewhere that beef should also be avoided at best. I don’t want carrageenan and am strict on BPA free cans which is what I like about GO but I need low phosphorus and sadly they don’t offer. I’m wondering should I go with Weruva, I called them and they said most flavours are low and stick to non fish. Is there any brands you could recommend for my cat, I also have another senior 15 in perfect health that I want to start him on low phosphorus. My brain hurts from the research and I don’t understand charts and numbers and am terrible at figuring that out even if I did check on catinfo.org. Weruva mentioned most cans are between 0.10 to 0.18% phosphorus level but that means nothing to me and the chart is not by percentage so would love recommendations. Thank you for your info, it helps save lives.

• Sindy
            July 20, 2017 at 9:36 am (4 weeks ago)

Thank you. I’m just not sure what is an acceptable amount as in what is the limit in % or other form of measurement.

• Daisy Hill
        August 4, 2017 at 5:44 pm (2 weeks ago)

I ordered Darwin’s originally. They do not offer refunds. They would rather loose customers than refund money. They also don’t guarantee the quality of their product. See what others have said on Yelp. Com. This was my experience. I appreciate that my local pet store will at least do exchanges. As far as rad cat, according to the charts it has almost no phosphorus and very low sodium.

• shana smith
          August 17, 2017 at 2:26 pm (2 days ago)

That’s odd I complained about the beet content in the last order and they gave me half my money back at least

• shana smith
      August 17, 2017 at 2:24 pm (2 days ago)

Darwin’s has a deal that the first 10 pounds are only $14.95, you can pick the proteins you want as well its just a trial but hope it helps. Its great food my dog loved it before he passed. Raw food is the best thing you can do for him in my opinion I have seen it work miracles in my own home. My freezer is actually full of Darwins right now.

4. Carol Ochs
    June 5, 2017 at 4:53 pm (2 months ago)

I’m pursuing making my own homemade cat food. One of my cats is 19 and just recently was diagnosed with very early signs of compromised kidney function. Recipes I’ve come across include adding a vitamin/mineral supplement pill. Is there a vitamin supplement that is low sodium/low phosphorous that you recommend, please? I’m having a hard time finding one…. 🙂

June 6, 2017 at 5:29 am (2 months ago)

I would work with a holistic vet with experience in nutrition to formulate a homemade diet for your cat, Carol. Alternately, if you’re feeding raw, Darwin’s offers a complete raw diet for cats with kidney disease.

• Chanel
      June 9, 2017 at 2:57 pm (2 months ago)

My cat Billie jean is around 12 years old, he is in early renal kidney failure. I’m having a hard time getting him to eat anything on his own. My mom and I have tried almost all veterinary brands and most grocery store brands and the most he does is maybe take a few licks at best. I love her and I’m trying my best to help him get better. I have taken him to the vet and he said it “may” be early R.K.F but he would need a ultra sound and biopsy to further find out what exactly the problem is. As a young adult I don’t I the resources to further her medical treatment to that degree, however I did get medication. So now my question is I want to start him on a raw food diet. I’m thinking of making a smother type drink consisting of liver and eggs and maybe another type with coconut milk & avacodo… are these things good for cats in her condition?? And if not please tell me specific thing I could blend up and then give to him. Please!! I really need help thank you

-C

• Chanel
        June 10, 2017 at 1:16 am (2 months ago)

I honesty can’t afford to get the Darwin’s cat food doo I’m looking for natural items that I can feed my cat ..

• Gael Allegra
        June 24, 2017 at 12:55 pm (2 months ago)

This post is to Chanel. I just got 4 recipes from my vet for my 2 cats who are both in early renal failure. I would be happy to send them to you by email if you contact me at gaelallegra@gmail.com. It will cost a bit to get started as you need to supply taurine (an amino acid that cats need), bone meal, salt substitute, vitamin K, and a multivitamin with minerals. I bought all items at a health food store. The other ingredients are a lean meat, white rice, and canola oil. There are probably other oils you can use, you should ask your vet. In fact your vet should be able to supply you with some recipes as mine did.

• Zoë
          July 15, 2017 at 7:26 pm (1 month ago)

Dear Gael, I’m in a similar situation and would really appreciate more options for feeding my renal cat, Holly! Would you mind if I emailed you for the recipes too?

Zoë

5. Kathryn
    May 31, 2017 at 8:12 pm (3 months ago)

Hello,

My Holden is coming up on ten years, and while he is a larger cat, he’s always been fairly healthy. We took him to the vet for a check up recently and most of his blood work came back really good, except it showed his protein levels were a little high. Since he is entering in to his more senior years, and I want to keep him around as long as possible, I don’t want to overload his little(ish) body with too much protein and cause kidney issues. Can you recommend a good quality food that has good proteins, but levels that aren’t too high? Or what I should be looking for. He could stand to lose a few pounds, so something that could help with that would be great, too (though the protein levels are the biggest concern.) Thank you for your help!

6. Mike S
    May 28, 2017 at 8:30 pm (3 months ago)

WE just found out 8 days ago that our beloved cat ,”Zeke” ,a Male orange tabby about 9-10 years old ,has chronic kidney failure. After spending about $1000 at the vet, we are now home injecting him with sodium Chloride every day. He had gone about 4 days without eating ,so we have been feeding him Gerber Baby food with a small syringe a few times a day. He growls during feeding ,but at least we are getting some food in him. The only flaors they have left are chicken and gravy ,turkey and gravy ,and beef with gravy. All the other Baby foods now seem to be mostly fruit based. We raised 3 children ,and I am not sure what happened with baby foods, but I have also tried to give hum Tuna in water ,and in oil ,but he wont eat. I am not being naive ,as I realise this is probably the end. But I wont give up.

7. Mattie
    May 21, 2017 at 9:01 pm (3 months ago)

Thank-you for your wonderful article, we so appreciate it! Our little cat Dustie came to us as a stray and we think she is around 17years old, was losing weight, so we suspected Hyperthyroidism, and we took her to our local vet here on the OR Coast…they were not going to even do a blood draw until my husband Jeff insisted they check…and the results showed yes she needed a medication…she started vomiting more often so when we took her back to the vet we had her blood checked again and the dosage she was given was too high and she was around 6 1/4 pounds…went up to around 7 pounds…then they decreased her medication to half the original amount. After a total of 18 mo. she became slow and was not eating well and we had to hand feed her with syringes then took her again to the vet and it was found she had a bladder infection and kidney disease so then they switched her thyroid food to kidney food…now her weight is down to around 5 pounds and I think it is because of the prescribed kidney food she has been on for the last 6 months…I also noticed a pinkish-orange tinge to a large drop of urine she dripped on the floor so we had some oral antibiotics for cats and I am a Nurse Practitioner, so I gave this according to her weight daily for 10 days, and she perked up and was more her usual self…now though, I am quite concerned as I can feel all her bones in her back and also her hind legs, the lower part near her paws there is no muscle tissue between those bones and it was shocking to feel that…she is part Persian so has long fur but if she did not have long fur I am sure we would had noticed sooner. Dustie is a sweet girl…a love-sponge…she lives for love and pets…we would do anything we can for her and even though she is in a weakened state she follows us to bed and sleeps between us purring while we pet her before we all nod off to sleep…I placed a small carry-on suitcase to make it easier for her to come up to the bed and we think she has become noticably weaker since on this kidney canned prescribed food…she likes to lick the olive oil off my husband’s plate of cheese and crackers and she loves little tiny pieces of cooked ham. What kinds of food do you recommend out tiny Dustie-girl with her combination of hyperthyroidism, kidney disease, and recurrent bladder infection knowing she is, at best, now 5#, and perhaps a bit less? Any advice would be so greatly appreciated by us! Mattie & Jeff

May 22, 2017 at 5:19 am (3 months ago)

Since you’re dealing with multiple issues, I would recommend consulting with a holistic veterinarian, Mattie. Dr. Lisa Pierson at catinfo.org offers remote consultations.

8. Tonya
    May 19, 2017 at 2:40 pm (3 months ago)

Hello all,

Have a question what is a good iodine free food to feed my 15 year old cat (child)?
    She has been diagnosed as hyperthyroidism an started the mexamoltional medicine not sure od correct spelling. Want yo get her off tge medicine an feed her a raw healthy diet. Which companies make raw food diets without iodine products (kelp, calcium update)? Would rad raw diet be a good or Darwin’s? Also is their a pre mix for hyperthyroidism to as s to raw diets?

Thank You for helping me an this great blog of information you have put up. Just AWESOME ! Sincerely, Mercedes the cat an Tonya aka mommy

May 20, 2017 at 8:53 am (3 months ago)

Since iodine and calcium levels are not disclosed on pet food labels, you’d have to contact each manufacturer to get the information, Tonya.

9. Diana
    May 16, 2017 at 12:51 pm (3 months ago)

This information is so useful. My Snickers, who is 13, has been diagnose with kidney and pancreatitis. The vet wants to put him on the Hills diet. I wasn’t really pleased to see it had grain in it. They told me to put him on a low protein and low phosphate diet. Trying to find a low P&P diet that is grain free hasn’t been easy. I’m pleased to see that I only need to look for a low phosphate now.

10. Jessica
    May 10, 2017 at 10:51 pm (3 months ago)

HI All,

My cat Ramses was taken to the vet for a cough, which I suspected was asthma. I had to put my other cat to sleep two years ago because she also had asthma and we were never able to get her stable.
    Ramses is 15yrs old. He weighed 13lbs two years ago. At his check up last year he was 11.5. At this visit he was 10.8. He has been drinking a lot of water and going often. I do have another cat, so I could not be sure which one was doing it. After labs and xrays, it was determined that he does have asthma. His blood levels showed higher levels for his liver and urine tests confirmed that he is at 1.8. I was told that he is in stage 2 of Kidney disease. The vet gave me a vitamin(huge horse pills that he is supposed to have two of daily), omega 3 oil that I have to pour over his food every other day. He also prescribed k/d dry and wet food. They have always eaten both (fancy feast small can in the am and pm w/ a handful of dry purina). The other cat, Ra, is overweight(17) so I decreased their dry food from free feed to the handful in an attempt to wean them off completely. After reading all of this information, I am so confused. I don’t know what to feed him. Before reading this, I switched both rather quickly to the k/d and they liked it the first day. Day two they wouldn’t touch it. They are back on the regular food. Because I was trying to make Ra lose weight, that’s why I actually thought Ramses was losing instead of him.
    I need help on making a decision about what to feed the kitties. I also saw Azodyl tablets that I was considering. I am afraid to try a Raw diet and home cooked seem quite confusing. I work a lot and barely feed myself. sorry to ramble. My vet seems to be adamant about the K/d protocol. I don’t know the phosphorous level, but I will ask tomorrow.

May 11, 2017 at 5:01 am (3 months ago)

Unfortunately, most vets still recommend k/d even for early stage kidney disease. As you can see from this article, that may be a poor choice.

• Jessica
        May 11, 2017 at 12:04 pm (3 months ago)

Hi Ingrid,
        Yes from what I can read I see that they aren’t.
        I saw your list of suggestions. Would those be appropriate for a CKD kitty as well?

11. Jo
    May 8, 2017 at 6:05 pm (3 months ago)

Very informative article, thank you. I have an 8 month old kitten who, via ultra sound, has “markedly abnormal in appearance” kidneys. I don’t know that abnormal kidneys are treated the same as kidney disease. His first blood test on 3/22/17 revealed BUN: 77 (high) Creatinine: 2.2 BUN/Creatinine ratio (high): 35 Phosphorus 8.0. His 4/25/17 test revealed BUN: 59 (high) Creatinine 2.7 (high) BUN/Creatinine ration 22 Phosphorus 10.9 (high). I just started him on a phosphorus binder about two weeks ago. The vet gave him sub/q fluid (I’m not sure his numbers warrant sub/q on a regular basis but she wanted to show me how to give them.) She also wanted to start him on Royal Canin dry kidney food. Brown rice, animal liver, hydrolized soy protein were in the first three or four ingredients. I cannot fathom that giving a kidney compromised cat a dry food with chemically altered soy protein can possible be a good thing for him. Ripley shows zero signs of anything, eats like a pig, is growing, does drink a bit more water than expected for a cat that only eats canned food, except that he’s developed some kind of reaction to something, as he’s licking/itching/biting to the point of fur loss. He’s always been a licky/itching cat but I’m wondering if it’s something in his current food (Merrick Purrrfect Bistro canned food). He had a needle biopsy (he was given propofal) a month ago and the symptoms developed about two to three days after the procedure. A rather short round of prednisone helped but symptoms returned when done. Anyway, I’m also of the inclination that restricted protein may not be the best way to go. Of course, what do I know. Any input from anyone would be appreciated.

• Jo
        May 11, 2017 at 10:11 am (3 months ago)

Thanks for the links, I appreciate it. The vet really thinks he’s reacting to flea bites. How he’d get bit is beyond me. We have two dogs who have flea controlled applied, and another indoor only cat besides Ripley (the ckd cat). She said a flea could latch onto a pant leg or come in on one of the dogs. I asked wouldn’t that create a flea problem and cause the cats to have fleas (neither are treated with any flea treatment atm). She said no, just a stray flea or two could just bite but not set up house. I don’t know, that sounds really out of bounds to me. I did switch his food to a pork only (canned, freeze dried raw, raw) two days ago because I don’t know if it’s the food causing the problem. Vet says likely not but I had an older cat who was always itchy when he was on dry food. Ripley isn’t just itchy, his skin is red, blistery, oozy in spots, little red dots that look like they’ve ‘burst’ in other places – def reacting to something. He gobbled up the new food. Took him back to the vet yesterday and told her that 1 tab/2x day of prednisone really helped calm the skin reaction down so she gave me an two week rx. Got that into him yesterday and he is finally getting relief. But this morning he is refusing to eat. He is just sleeping. Absolutely out of character for him. So – is it the new food, too much protein? Is he just exhausted from not sleeping a lot due to itching for so long? Is he sick? Okay, he just went to the litter box – some diarrhea and he just threw up water. He’s drinking now but isn’t ready to eat yet. Maybe I’m doing too much and should just concentrate on a good quality canned food rather than any type of raw. Very challenging. Thanks again for the links.

12. Mindy Looyenga
    April 24, 2017 at 11:11 am (4 months ago)

Hello and thank you for this article!
    My 17 1/2 year old Rocky also has a hyperthyroid level of 5 (slightly elevated) and his kidney levels are waaaay high. About a year ago he stopped eating the hyperthyroid food, so went to a pet store and purchased grain free Weruva and Chicken Soup for the Soul which have more natural ingrediants. He started eating again, but now his kidney levels are terribly high. I am wondering what type of food you put your cat on-the dry and the wet that had the nice combination. The vet did perscribe the kidney food-either Hill or one other kind for kidneys. Recommendations on what to you think is best and why to give to my vet is much appreciated.
    Thank you kindly!
    Mindy

April 24, 2017 at 11:34 am (4 months ago)

I doubt that the high kidney levels are caused by the Weruva. I’m not familiar with the Chicken Soup for the Soul brand. I would definitely eliminate all dry food – never a good choice for any cat, let alone a cat with kidney issues.

• Chris Pometta
      April 29, 2017 at 8:29 pm (4 months ago)

I have had two cats that have had kidney disease.  As a result, I made it a priority to learn all I could about the nutritional needs of  CKD cats. I learned a great deal and I feel that the best food they can be fed, is homemade.
      You can make it from scratch, (using individual vitamins) or choose a premix for CKD cats.
      The one I use is excellent. In part, here is what they say about their product:

“Useful as a dietary tool for certain conditions where a diet reduced in Phosphorus is helpful”.

And…here’s where you can learn more, from the lady who created the product line:
      And here’s where you can buy it in the U.S.:

April 30, 2017 at 4:38 am (4 months ago)

I like that TC Feline discloses phosphorus content on their website – so few manufacturers do that. I’d run this by your vet to be sure that phosphorus levels are within the limits advised for your cat’s stage of CKD. For those who want to feed raw, but don’t want to make their own food, Darwin’s offers a complete raw diet formulated for CKD cats: http://consciouscat.net/2017/03/14/darwins-offers-raw-prescription-diet-for-cats/

13. Cher Aiudi-Washenko
    April 23, 2017 at 7:34 pm (4 months ago)

I am happy to find this website as I am going crazy with trying to find the right foods for my 15 year old Maine Coon. Puffy is a mini-Maine Coon in that she was the runt of the litter and only weighs 6 -something lbs. She has always been healthy, hearty,happy and active. But she has also always been a poor and fussy eater and underweight. About a year ago she started to LOSE weight. Her weight always varied from 6.2 lbs to 6.8 lbs. but last year 1st she went down to 6.0 lbs then down to 5.8 lbs. My vet put her on a/d canned food ( urgent care food.) She gained and maintained a few ounces. However her last two checkups show that one of her kidney enzymes has been getting worse and is now borderline, and that her urine is slightly less concentrated than it was a few months ago. I have been bringing her in for 6 month senior wellness exams since she was 7. Prior to that i brought her in for annual exams. The vet gave me a kidney diet starter kit with several types of wet and dry Rx kidney foods. I am trying the foods and so far she will eat most of them if i hand feed her ( Ive been hand feeding her since she went down to 5.8 lbs and it helps,) but still she only eats a little of the food. I have also been giving her a high calorie, high nutrition gel for underweight cats called nutricat that my vet said was kidney safe. I am worried to death that my cat is going to lose even more weight. My vet says she will put her on an appetite stimulant if that happens. Im wondering if i should take her to a cat-only vet for a 2nd opinion? Any ideas?

April 24, 2017 at 5:12 am (4 months ago)

As this article explains, phosphorus is a bigger concern than protein restriction, and the most important thing for your cat at this stage is that she eats, not so much what she eats. A second opinion from a more holistically oriented cat-only vet may be a good idea. You may also want to consider a nutritional consult with Dr. Pierson (catinfo.org.)

• Tara Blade
      April 28, 2017 at 1:19 pm (4 months ago)

I can’t believe what you said Cher about your cat will only eat if you hand feed her! Mine also. My cat is 11 years old little overweight has elevated kidney values just found out today. She also is prone to Struvite crystals. She is so fussy when it comes to her food I have tried every food out there I mean everything. Now they want her on K/D. She used to be on C/D for the crystals years ago but gained so much weight on that. JUNK I call it. So I feed only wet food mix water in it she likes it soupy. Grain free. But she will eat for a few weeks and then stop like it’s the most horrible food ever. Sometimes she will eat it and then throw it up. So stressed been going through this for so many years with her. Now she has an dental appt to clean her teeth and gums cause they are red and inflamed so much tartar. They want her in day before to give fluids to hydrate her before procedure(because of her kidney values). I am so nervous. I had to stop that C/D it was no good for her. Been feeding her the wet grain free and putting in wysong biotic ph- for cats prone to struvite crystals. Now they want her on K/D??? Help what should I do????? What should I feed her???

• Meredith
        April 28, 2017 at 3:39 pm (4 months ago)

Hi Tara, just wanted to mention that I read in my research that for cats with elevated kidney values it is a good idea to do dental cleanings using gas as the only anesthesia because gas is not metabolized by kidneys like other anesthesias are. You might want to talk to your veterinarian and ask them about this possibility.

I don’t know if I’m allowed to post links here but I’ll give it a try:

Good luck with your kitty!

• Cher Aiudi-Washenko
        April 29, 2017 at 2:55 am (4 months ago)

Tara, I certainly sympathize with you. AND I wish i knew what we BOTH should do. Have you tried hand feeding her? Puffy also gets sick of food after awhile and stops eating it. So then i have to rotate it. My vet told me that sometimes kidney problems cause loss of appetite. But Puffy has always had a poor appetite.
        My vet gave me a “starter kit” with several different kinds of kidney food. I tried them one by one and used the checklist she gave me to record if Puffy loved it, liked it, or wouldn’t eat it. That was helpful. I bought a few different kinds of the ones she did like .But after reading in this website Im wondering if she needs more ( animal) protein than the kidney diets supply? Im going to keep reading ( on this website and others to learn as much as i can about feline kidney disease. It sounds to me like you are doing the right thing by getting her teeth taken care of. I honestly don’t know about the food. I do think wet food is good to feed, and the brand you are using provides plenty of nutrition, but i don’t know if the phosphorus level is low enough for a cat with kidney disease. Do you have a vet that you trust to ask? Im thinking of getting a 2nd opinion for Puffy from a cat-only vet.in the next town over.However she is not holistic. There is a holistic vet not too far from us, but he is not a cat-only vet. Have you thought about getting a 2nd opinion. If i learn anything useful in my readings, Ill post it on this website. God Bless you and your cat,Tara. I , too, get anxious when Puffy isn’t doing well.

• Chris Pometta
      April 29, 2017 at 8:32 pm (4 months ago)

NO dry foods should be fed to cats with kidney disease.

14. Meredith
    April 15, 2017 at 12:15 am (4 months ago)

Hi Ingrid,

I very much appreciate the detailed info in this article as our senior cat was recently diagnosed with kidney disease and I am researching optimal foods for him.

However, I have a question about the numbers you reference for the phosphorous content of cat foods. You state that a value of “0.7-1.26 grams per 1,000 calories” is the goal for cats with kidney disease. However, when I look at the food analysis chart on catinfo dot org, Dr. Pierson’s units are mg per 100 kilocalories, and all the values on her chart are mostly in the range of between approximately 80 to 600, depending on the food. So, when those values are converted to GRAMS per 1000 calories, they come out wrong it seems; for instance, we feed our cat an Earthborn variety that lists the phosphorous content as 240 mg per 100 kcal on Dr. Pierson’s site, but that converts to 0.0024 grams per 1000 calories, which is not even anywhere close to the values you reference in your article.

So, what I’m wondering is if maybe you meant MILLIgrams / 1000 calories, because if I convert 240 mg/100 kcal to mg/kcal we get a number of 2.4, which seems more reasonable a phosphorous content, and also notably the foods listed on the chart that are marketed as specifically for treatment of renal failure mostly have phosphorous numbers approximately between 80-120 mg/100 kcal, and that converts to 0.8-1.2 MILLIgrams per 1000 calories, so that seems likely to be the correct units.

Sorry this is a long post, but I’m just hoping you can clarify this in case I’m missing something. Reading cat food labels and nutrition info is tricky! Thanks again for your enthusiasm in helping!

April 15, 2017 at 5:45 am (4 months ago)

I’ll have to run this by Dr. Colleran, who authored this post. I’ll let you know when I hear back from her, Meredith.

• Meredith
        April 15, 2017 at 9:48 am (4 months ago)

Thank you!

April 16, 2017 at 10:02 am (4 months ago)

Meredith, this is what Dr. Colleran wrote:

“Therapeutic diets for feline CKD usually provide below 1 g/1000 kcal. Since we have efficacy data with these diets, this level is what we usually recommend and then adjust individually according to serum phosphorus values (some cats might need further restriction to achieve the IRIS recommendations for each stage for serum phosphorus). However, CKD diets have other modifications that also play a role in disease management (high quality protein in moderate amounts, alkalinization, moderate sodium, extra potassium, additional B vitamins, some of them add omega 3 FA as well).

Regarding maintenance diets, AAFCO minimum for phosphorus is 1.25 g/1000 Kcal, so, if you are looking for OTC diets, there will be none lower than that, so you can try to look for diets that are close to that value.”

I hope this helps!

15. Janice Franklin
    April 1, 2017 at 4:39 pm (5 months ago)

Our cat Jazz is a 6 year Ragdoll male, who has lived on a diet of prawns and kangaroo raw meat this is not pet food but human variety with some dry food also.
    Jazz has just had two trips to the vets 2 weeks apart to have his bladder flushed out, crystals had formed.
    So far this has put Jazz in some amount of pain cost nearly $2000, is this going to be an ongoing expense for both of us.
    The vet has recommended the kidney diet tut tutting prawns and kangaroo.
    Yet our last vet approved of this diet.
    I am so confused about what to do. Do we cut out the prawns and encourage him to drink more, also brush him twice a day so as he is not getting so much fur into his system?

• Ashley
      April 9, 2017 at 7:36 pm (4 months ago)

Hi Janice,
      Best advice I can give you is to go over to http://www.catinfo.org. Many vets are ignorant about proper cat nutrition unfortunately. The website is dedicated to proper cat nutrition and written by a vet who has done in depth research on cat nutrition. There is a cat food composition chart on the website as well which will help you find high protein/low carb cat food. It was referenced in the article above as well. It appears your cat is getting too much fish and the diet is not complete with proper nutrients for a cat. Wet cat food is high in moisture and helps to flush out their system. I have had cats my entire life and they are all on a high protein (meat protein not plant/vegetable protein)/ low carbohydrate diet. I feed almost no fish and limit the amount of beef as well. Most dry food is high is carbs, calories, low moisture content and has terrible ingredients. Reference this dry food comparison chart: http://www.sahjasiamese.com/index_files/foodcomparisonchart.htm. The chart is updated with new foods all the time. If I feed any dry I feed EVO but my cats eat mostly wet food. Rad Cat makes a good raw cat food as well that we include in the rotation. Hope this helps. Let me know if you want any additional help. I firmly believe once your cat is on the correct diet all problems will resolve themselves.

Ashley

April 10, 2017 at 5:31 am (4 months ago)

Catinfo.org is an outstanding resource, and Dr. Pierson also has a chart that lists phosphorus levels: http://catinfo.org/docs/CatFoodProteinFatCarbPhosphorusChart.pdf She also offers remote consultations for cats with kidney disease.

I appreciate you sharing the dry food comparison chart, but I want to be very clear that I don’t consider ANY dry foods appropriate for cats, especially not cats with CKD.

• Les
        April 10, 2017 at 5:47 am (4 months ago)

Hi Ingrid, great article. May I ask which proteins are low-moderate and which ones are high eg lamb? in terms of raw feeding?

April 10, 2017 at 5:59 am (4 months ago)

Chicken and turkey are lower in the range, lamb is slightly higher, followed by beef and pork. I believe it also depends on the cut of meat, not just the source.

• Les
            April 10, 2017 at 6:18 am (4 months ago)

Great to know, thank you

16. Dominique
    March 28, 2017 at 9:26 am (5 months ago)

My 3 year old Ragdoll was diagnosed recently with stage 2 CKD (Creatinine level 190). I had bloodwork done after I heard his mother had died of CKD at age 6. He’s on Royal Canin Kidney dry kibble and I also feed a pouch of Hills K/D daily (he likes his gravy). The vet told me not to give any other food, but he’s very young and active and I don’t want him to loose muscle mass. I’ve been reading about feeding CKD cats but now I don’t know what to believe anymore. Vets here in Belgium are very much in favor of dry cat food and a lot of the brands that are advised on websites aren’t available here. I’ve been thinking of starting to prepare myself but how do I know what the phosphorus content of the meat I use is? My second cat is his younger half brother, same mother, so I guess I should have him tested too.

March 28, 2017 at 1:03 pm (5 months ago)

You may want to work with someone who can help you formulate an appropriate homemade diet for cats with kidney disease, Dominique. I can recommend Jodi Ziskin https://www.healthypetcoach.com/

17. Bridget
    March 24, 2017 at 5:18 pm (5 months ago)

I have a 12 1/2 year old male cat whom is the apple of my life and recently took him to a vet for blood tests and urinary test ONLY because he was constantly licking metal on my balcony So the test results showed according to vet he had a minor urinary tract infection and very early stages of kidney disease I was shocked with the news considering I’ve had him on a veterinary prescribed diet (wet and dry) for almost 7 years because he did have severe FUS (not a cheap diet either) which I was told this would prevent it from reoccurring However it was the early stage of kidney disease that through me a loop As I said I’ve fed him both dry and wet food daily My concern now is the Vet put him on Hills veterinary prescribed diet for kidney care He took well to the wet but threw up every time he ate the dry kidney care food This went on for a few days so the vet changed his dry to a prescribed gastrointestinal dry food (which he was having in wet prior to changing to kidney care diet) however the same result I want to venture into a holistic dry food for him but no longer as a regular part of his meals only as a small portion treat as he has always had dry in his diet with the wet He hasn’t shown signs of failing with his health except exhausted and a week belly from the past few weeks of vomiting and he didn’t have a normal bowel movement for a close to 48 hr period until this morning early which was not in his litter box which is very unusual I feel he was trying in the box until the vomiting took over I did contact his vet today with my concerns after listening to the instructions I was given by him this past Monday I suggested I would like to look into a holistic dry food replacement for my baby but the vet replied he had no knoweledge regarding Holistic Food Heath diets and ended my call with him quite abruptly I need some honest good advise to give my beautiful honourable cat the best possible diet of dry food under the circumstances to help maintain his early kidney disease diagnosis (which will not take presidence of the wt food diet) Please help me to maintain the best quality of life advise for a healthy maintenance diet of dry for him I refuse to except a death sentence for him at this time PLEASE HELP!!!

March 25, 2017 at 5:09 am (5 months ago)

There is no such thing as a “best possible diet of dry food” for cats, Bridget, especially not for cats with urinary tract issues. Stop feeding dry food and feed a premium raw or grain-free canned diet. You can find my recommendations here: http://consciouscat.net/2012/03/22/the-best-food-for-your-cat/ You’ll need to check phosphorus levels for the foods you decide to try since he is in the early stages of kidney disease.

• Chris Pometta
      March 25, 2017 at 10:49 pm (5 months ago)

For excellent info on what to feed and not to feed, you MUST visit http://www.catinfo.org. Dr.Lisa Pierson addresses the matter of “prescription” diets being inappropriate EVER! Kidney disease is a complex disease and there is a great deal that must be learned in order to help CKD cats. When both of my cats were diagnosed, I went on a learning journey that spanned more than two years. Another excellent site is felinecrf.org. CKD often leads to other equally as serious as kidney disease. It is important to recognize and treat each as they occur.

18. Felipe
    January 16, 2017 at 12:11 pm (7 months ago)

Dr. Colleran, I live in Brasil and I am unemployed right now, unfortunatelly I can’t pay for vets and for special foods like Hills.

My cat is 17 year old and she is diagnosticated with kidney disease (from a time I could pay for vet) unfortunatelly she also lost her teeth and she refuses to eat dry solid food, she only eats moisted/gel food and even soo she appear to get bored very quickly and stop eating and only lick the food to get the juice from it.

I am really worried because despite the fact that I have been able to keep her situation stable for some time, now she started to loose a lot of mass and also show that she can’t even stand on her legs sometimes. I can’t for example drop her even a few inches from the ground, as she lay down and have difficult to stand up, I need to actually put her on the ground.

My question is, what kind of unprocessed food can I give to her? I heard chicken liver is very rich on protein, can I give it to her? What other kind of unprocessed food can I give to her? Thanks a lot!

• Erika
      January 25, 2017 at 11:36 am (7 months ago)

Oi Felipe,
      I am in Portugal and I also have a cat suffering from this terrible problem. She will also only lick food and is very picky.
      I’ve cooked her chicken meat and skin and then processed it in a soup (even with a bit of olive oil, as she is a gourmet cat) and she enjoyed it.
      But what she prefers is chicken livers, cooked only with water until soft, then processed and with a bit of olive oil in the end too. I freeze the soup in small containers and I heat up small portions at a time.
      She’s gained weight, she’s hidrated and looks really well for a cat that was almost dying almost 2 months ago. She’s only 7 years old but one kidney is totally dead and the other one is full of stones too 🙁
      If you want to exchange ideas and experiences, email me at enunes2011 at gmail.com
      Boa sorte!

19. JaneA
    January 1, 2017 at 3:45 pm (8 months ago)

Thank you, Dr. Colleran, and thank you, Ingrid, for sharing this article. I’ve linked back to it in my Paws and Effect post today because my reader has a cat with kidney disease who won’t eat her prescription diet. I’ve recommended this article as a starting point for discussing diet with her vet. I like the fact that Dr. Colleran has such impressive credentials, because that will lend more credence than “hey, I found this on some random website.” 🙂

20. Jen
    November 13, 2016 at 2:57 pm (9 months ago)

Hello ! I have two younger , healthy, Siamese cats and one older tabby who is was at the beginning of renal insufficiency at her last appointment. She is on medication. Is there a food out there that I can safely feed all three? Thank you!

• Angie
      December 19, 2016 at 1:10 pm (8 months ago)

Hi Jen, my 3 cats, one with CKD and two without have all done well on Weruva Steak Frites(canned high protein low phophorus no grain) and Hi-Tor Neo (canned paté low phosphorus with grain) Maybe check out this sight also http://www.felinecrf.org/canned_food_usa.htm

21. maureen
    November 11, 2016 at 8:23 am (9 months ago)

My Manx was just diagnosed with kidney failure at 4 years old. He was a rescue cat, I found him under my dock about two years ago covered in ulcers, mange, fleas, mites in his eyes and ears and matted fur. He was a mess. got him cleaned up and healthy, he’s been fine. last week I noticed he had lost weight. a few days later I noticed he had stopped eating and was lethargic so took him to the vet. yesterday he spent all day 12 hours on a IV drip of water/electrolytes. He drinks excessively, always has. his numbers dropped a little. today he go through it again. I started him on KD hills dry food , he doesn’t like wet and he doesn’t like the KD stuff. so now what? do I just give him what he wants and quality of life or do I force feed him food he hates just to keep him alive. I just went through this with my father (kidney failure) so I am very familiar with the whole diet thing. my heart is aching

November 11, 2016 at 9:43 am (9 months ago)

I’m so sorry, Maureen. As stated in the article, it’s far more important that cat with kidney disease eat, than what they eat.

• Angie
      December 19, 2016 at 1:01 pm (8 months ago)

My Little Girl just passed on from CKD a few days ago. I struggled to find her good food, that she would regularly eat, for quite some time.; I did tho. I see it’s been over month since you’ve written, so hopefully you’ve found a food that he’ll eat. Here is a sight that you may know about but it’s helped me out http://www.felinecrf.org/dry_food_uk.htms A wet food guide is there as well. I found 2 that I rotated. Try to find wet food if possible. I know you know.. And I understand the desire for dry in some, as my 15 yr old guy loves it, and turns up nose to most wet foods. I wish you all the best. Bless your caring heart, big time.

December 19, 2016 at 2:46 pm (8 months ago)

I’m so sorry, Angie.

• dani
      April 2, 2017 at 7:39 pm (5 months ago)

We also have a manx that did exactly what yours did! We have tried to feed her KD Diet and she hates it. All she wants to eat is human food!! haha so I started giving her ck liver and ground chicken with rice and a calorie supplement. I also give her slippery elm root. She is doing so much better and I definitely agree quality of live is more important than starving the cat.

22. Lindsey
    September 13, 2016 at 11:59 am (11 months ago)

Hello,

My cat Otto is only 3 years old and already has what the vet considers stage 1 kidney disease (he’s at 80% function). The vet was surprised to find it this early, I took him in when he was acting a bit odd with his litter box habits and they found crystals in his urine and then the reduced function. The vet put him on a Rx diet of Hills Prescription C/D formula wet and dry food. He gets two wet cans a day and free feeds on the dry as he pleases. I took him in for a 6 month follow up of being on the food and all the crystals are gone, but his blood work is showing that his kidney function is still going down slightly. I’m not a huge fan of Hills, but it’s what he recommended. He’s doesn’t act differently at all, still eats like a champ and I believe he’s getting enough water (we have a dog and a cat who share a water bowl, so sometime hard to tell how much each is drinking) I’ve given Otto his own water bowl as well, but he likes the one the dog uses more, go figure. Since his diagnosis, I’m more paranoid about how much he’s drinking, but I haven’t been able to increase it and he doesn’t drink excessively that I’ve noticed.

He’s due for his next follow up in February to see if his kidney function plateaus. If this visit results in the same decrease has his last 6 mo. visit, I want to try something else for his food. Do you have any recommendations for other food options knowing he is a young cat? I like to believe he still have a lot of life left for him and I want to do anything and everything I can to make sure he’s getting the right stuff! (Otto is a pure bred Siberian and is about 18 lbs, he has not lost any weight at all, in fact has still managed to gain since his breed is known to keep growing until they are about 5)

September 13, 2016 at 12:04 pm (11 months ago)

You may want to consider consulting with a holistic veterinarian to formulate a diet for Otto, Lindsey. In addition to managing his early stage kidney disease, the type of crystals he had in his urine will also need to be taken into consideration when it comes to determining what type of a diet he needs.

• Gail P
        October 10, 2016 at 10:41 pm (10 months ago)

Kristie Sanchez,
        What is the brand of the human grade food you found for your cat? My cat is sick and of course vet prescribed hills c/d she won’t eat it anyway. Please and thank you. Gail

• Kristie Sanchez
      September 28, 2016 at 8:01 am (11 months ago)

Dr. Lisa Pierson. catinfo.org!!! I have a 17 year old with pancreatitis, diabetes and urinary issues (crystals) … vets said take him off of his raw diet and onto c/d. 18 months later his urine is slightly dilute and he lost 8oz over the last 6 months. I consulted the referenced website and low and behold c/d is low in quality protein, high in carbohydrates and fat and calories. I found a human grade food with low phosphorus and ZERO carbs. HELLO!!! He immediately had more energy and his coat got super shiny. Will have labs run again and urine checked in a few months. Also was able to stop insulin. Seriously though … prescription diets are such a scam. Read Dr. Lisa’s site… it angered me to learn this stuff.

• Lindsey
        September 28, 2016 at 3:11 pm (11 months ago)

Please let me know what you find out when you get the labs back! Especially since mine is so young (only 3 yrs.old) I really don’t want to be compromising his health with the Rx diet just because my vet recommended it, I like my vet a lot but I don’t think this is his area of expertise. I feel like there are better ways to preserve his kidney function and make sure he’s getting what he needs!

• Lindsey
          October 11, 2016 at 10:40 am (10 months ago)

Update to my comment, I did a consult with Dr. Pierson, worth EVERY PENNY! I’m now transitioning Otto to homemade tailored to his needs!

• Aggie
            November 2, 2016 at 11:13 pm (10 months ago)

Lindsey, please keep us updated on Otto’s diet and how he’s doing. I have a 4 year old male with the exact same issues (crystals and now, after his follow up, the beginning stage of kidney disease). I have had my cat on Hills c/d for the past month and a half and he’s now clear of crystals, but now the vet is thinking I should switch him to k/d after the new test results. However, I’m worried about reducing the levels of protein when there is such mixed opinions out there (and by vets too) about whether this really helps. Ultimately, from what I keep reading, it seems really about reducing the levels of phosphorus. There is also the concern that if I make a switch, whether this would keep his crystals in check as well! After taking my cat into the emergency clinic for a urinary blockage about a month and a half ago (and $3,000 later!), I sure don’t want to face repeating that episode again!

• Mei
          November 11, 2016 at 5:55 am (9 months ago)

Lindsey, what is Dr Pierson’s fee? I am from Malaysia and am interested in a homemade food. My cat was just diagnosed with CKD and I don’t really like the Hill’s K/D diet he’s currently on.

• Lindsey
            December 29, 2016 at 2:37 pm (8 months ago)

I believe for me the TOTAL consultation was around $250, she charges by the hour and spent almost 2 hrs with me on skype going over EVERYTHING! Since I didn’t end up needing a custom recipe and could use the once from her site w/ a few tweeks it was less than it would have been if that service was needed. She does require very in depth medical records from you that you’ll have to get from your vet. All testing results, all notes, everything. After she analyzed all of that for Otto, she actually came to a different diagnosis than my primary vet. That probably wont happen for most! But, in my case, my vet was mainly placing his diagnosis off of the creatinine levels and not looking at the other indicators like the the urine specific gravity or the BUN. In Otto’s case, since he is a large cat (he’s a Siberian weighing in at 18 lbs…and still growing since they don’t stop until they are about 5 yrs old) he might just naturally have higher levels of creatinine similar to how a human with more muscle would have higher levels. Based on these indicators, Dr. Pierson doesn’t believe that Otto even has kidney disease and it was a misdiagnosis based on only one metric but not looking at the whole picture…which than angered her even more at my vet for putting him on an Rx diet. But I can safely say, everything I learned from her about what to fully look at in terms of kidney disease was priceless. She didn’t just go over that either, she also went over what to look for in vaccines and other medicines as well as all of the testing and what it actually means in term someone who did not go to veterinary school can understand! I felt infinitely more knowledgeable about CKD after talking with her for an hour than I did after doing weeks of research on my own. I highly recommend doing the consult, it was worth every penny in my opinion! And, Otto is going great on his new diet. He loves it and I have no complaints. I will do another full work up for him in February just to see if everything looks good (or at lease has leveled…and that the creatinine is the only thing that looks odd for him). But, after switching his food to the fully raw diet his coat looks healthier, he has put on more muscle again and he seems to have more energy as well! I did have to buy a meat grinder, but my husband and I decided to make raw food to mix in with the dry food for our dog as well, so it all worked out and now all the 4 legged children are happy.

December 30, 2016 at 6:19 am (8 months ago)

Thank you for sharing your experience with your consultation. This type of misdiagnosis happens more often than you think when vets fail to look at the whole picture.

• Joyce
        September 29, 2016 at 4:47 am (11 months ago)

Hi. I’m glad to hear your baby is doing well on the new food you found. I’m reading from my phone and not everything seems clear. Would you mind naming the food you found? I may have missed it if you said it but I also have trouble going online from my phone and am traveling right now. Thanks in advance..

• Stacy
        November 16, 2016 at 12:17 pm (9 months ago)

Hi Kristi,

What was the human grade food that you found? Just learned my baby has the same problem! Thank you!

• Chris
      December 29, 2016 at 4:58 am (8 months ago)

Please see Dr.Lisa Pierson’s EXCELLENT site for info on feline nutrition. She clearly explains why “prescription diets” are the LAST thing that any cat should be fed. http://Www.catinfo.org

• Nora Lenz
        December 29, 2016 at 12:57 pm (8 months ago)

Dr. Pierson’s advice to feed canned food over kibble has validity only in that canned food contains water like a cat’s food is supposed to. However, that’s where it ends. She says that canned food is “gently cooked”, which is not true at all. There can be nothing more thoroughly cooked and over-processed than canned cat food, except kibble. Why gently cook a food when UNcooked is what the body of a cat requires? It is only uncooked food that offers cats everything they need. The idea that feeding a cat raw is so difficult and mysterious that the normal cat owner can’t manage it is nonsense. This idea keeps cats sick, because it keeps cat owners in the dark. It is EXTREMELY easy to raw feed cats, and this is the ONLY diet that prevents and reverses CKD in cats.

December 29, 2016 at 1:19 pm (8 months ago)

Raw feeding is not for everyone, and I believe that we’re doing cats a disservice by making those who can’t or won’t feed raw feel like they don’t have their cats’ best interest at heart. While it is without a doubt the best possible way to feed cats, it does exceed the comfort level for a lot of cat guardians. The next best thing to raw is a homecooked diet, followed by canned food, in terms of going from least processed to more processed. And while feeding an optimal diet may prevent CKD, CKD cannot be reversed. Once the kidneys are damaged, even the best diet won’t restore function, but an appropriately formulated diet, as explained in this post, can prevent further decline of kidney function.

• Aggie
            December 29, 2016 at 1:44 pm (8 months ago)

Thank you, Ingrid!

To give people some context: My cat was exclusively fed a raw diet (a reputable, veterinary approved brand as well), and still ended up with a urinary blockage and kidney issues. It only proves that every cat is genetically different, and in the end it is just best to feed an appropriately formulated diet catered to you cat’s individual needs–whether it be a prescription canned diet, raw, homecooked or a quality “over the counter” store bought food.

• Nora Lenz
            December 29, 2016 at 1:45 pm (8 months ago)

There is no reason to think that kidneys cannot self-heal just like all other parts of the body. Many humans have reversed their kidney disease by eating properly, and I am currently working with a cat owner whose cat is healing from a CKD diagnosis. It’s fine to not want to make anyone feel bad but there’s no way to avoid it if people are going to feel bad about hearing the truth. The truth needs to be told for the benefit of those who are open to it. The vets and their followers aren’t telling people. We who advocate raw food are outnumbered by the millions. There are plenty of resources for those who prefer the status quo.

• Nora Lenz
            December 29, 2016 at 1:50 pm (8 months ago)

There are problems with commercially produced raw foods, and they can and do cause disease. Commercial raw foods are better than canned and kibble, but they are a far cry from optimal and optimal is what is needed by a cat that is perhaps predisposed to CKD. If you’d like I can offer more specific information about what is wrong with commercial raw cat foods, particularly if you will provide the brand name.

23. Tammy
    February 18, 2016 at 7:00 pm (2 years ago)

What a sweet story of Goldilocks, she was so lucky to have you.
    I wish for all cat parents the mystery of kidney disease could be figured out!
    I too am going through the ringer with this food, I look at the charts and its
    so confusing. Has anyone tried kidney glandular’s?

24. Tammy
    February 18, 2016 at 6:50 pm (2 years ago)

It would certainly be nice to know what food your cat would eat that was low in phosphorus and low in iodine and good protein. I have the same situation with my 13 year old cat, I have looked at the chart and I am experimenting with what she will eat out of the chart which is really hard to do!! She is a picky eater. This disease is terrible to deal with.

• Barbar
      May 15, 2016 at 11:55 am (1 year ago)

Tammy,
      I have founf Purina Pro-Plan Urinary Tract health and Pro-Plan True nature to be low in phosphorous (.1) high in protein and low carb. My 16 year old girl with kidney disease and thyroid will eat this

• Pat Guobis
        September 4, 2016 at 8:50 pm (12 months ago)

My girl loves this. It may not be optimal in terms of comparing ingredients with high end food, which is what she used to eat. She had the Iodine 131 treatment and I’m continuing lower phosphorus simply because she is 14 1/2. Lizzie’s coat is smooth as silk, she loves this food and is thriving.

25. Deziz World
    February 16, 2016 at 12:49 pm (2 years ago)

Gweat posty. Mommy feeds sis Lexi a high quality, high protein diet wiff a Phosphorous binder and of course an antacid afur each meal. We have drinkin’ stations almost in every room. Our VET dusn’t agree wiff mommy’s treatment but he’s shocked she’s still alive and just tells mommy to keep duin’ what she’s duin.

Luv ya’

Dezi and Lexi

• Marilena
      June 14, 2016 at 1:31 pm (1 year ago)

Which antacid does Mom use?
      Ty 🙂

26. Brie
    February 15, 2016 at 9:34 pm (2 years ago)

This is all really good information, but I like many posters and scores of cat owners with kidney disorders need assistance with WHICH FOOD EXACTLY is good for our fur kids. God knows there are enough brands out there that someone in the know can say, these following foods are recommended for cats with kidney disfunction.

February 16, 2016 at 5:53 am (2 years ago)

You can start with my general recommendations, Brie. All the brands on this list are good brands with quality protein and no grains: http://consciouscat.net/2012/03/22/the-best-food-for-your-cat/ Then refer to Dr. Pierson’s chart to find phosphorus levels for these brands, or contact the manufacturers for information, if phosphorus restriction is indicated for your cat. I hope this helps.

• Brie
        February 16, 2016 at 6:35 am (2 years ago)

Yes, THANK YOU, I really appreciate it.

27. Jenny | Floppycats.com
    February 15, 2016 at 3:28 pm (2 years ago)

Excellent article – thank you to you and Dr. Colleran for sharing. I am going to link back to it, so readers have more info.

February 15, 2016 at 5:11 pm (2 years ago)

Thanks for sharing, Jenny!

28. Pam
    February 15, 2016 at 1:29 pm (2 years ago)

I’m a bit confused by my cat food labels after reading this. The Rad Cat raw food label says 12%-14% protein, and my premium canned cat food labels say in the range of 10% protein. Am I feeding my 17-year-old cat way too little protein?

February 15, 2016 at 1:33 pm (2 years ago)

The percentages in the post are on a dry matter basis, Pam. Labels typically list percentages on an as fed basis. Rad Cat has 55.82% to 69.82% protein on a dry matter basis, 12.9% to 14% on an as fed basis. I know it gets confusing!

• Joyce
        February 15, 2016 at 2:53 pm (2 years ago)

Seriously I am going a little nuts trying to read and decipher cat food labels. Why can’t they all just be standardized. X amt protein, Y = phosphorous Z for ash and along with everything else clearly marked how about the calories per serving?! I can’t figure this anymore! I am SO FRUSTRATED. One can measures calories this way, another can measures calories that way!! If I ask the vet they recommend that disgusting prescription diet because it’s all in the profit for them. I need a good amount of the right protein, sans the crap fillers, and lower in calories so my kid can stay healthy stop begging me for more food every time he sees me stand up from my desk. Hell he’s taken to meowing in my face if I don’t get up often enough. We play often (before meals & throughout the day) he runs after his feathers, runs up & down his tree houses, chases Maggie – she’s fast but he catches her – … but he’s overweight and is not eating the proper diet because I have failed to understand the complex labeling! What will it take? Where do I go to get clearly spelled out nutrition & calorie counts? I feel like such a failure and constantly changing his diet is NOT helping!! SO incredibly FRUSTRATING.

• Pam
        February 15, 2016 at 4:36 pm (2 years ago)

Thanks, Ingrid! That’s a relief!

Sadly, I do believe that food manufacturers of all kinds intentionally operate in such a way as to keep consumers confused and not able to truly know what is in manufactured “food products.”

29. Sometimes Cats Herd You
    February 15, 2016 at 5:56 am (2 years ago)

It seems like there’s a slow, but steady change in the thinking about the appropriateness of the low-protein kidney diets available as prescription from vets, and it’s great that the needs of senior cats are being additional consideration. I’m sharing this.

30. Fur Everywhere
    February 15, 2016 at 4:02 am (2 years ago)

I chose not to feed Jewel a prescription kidney diet because she hated all of them, and my vet and I agreed that it was more important for her to eat than for her to eat kidney food. Now reading this, I’m glad I didn’t feed her the kidney diet. I would have hated for her to lose muscle mass due to a lack of protein. We used phosphorus binders to help with her high phosphorus, and that worked out well for her. Thank you for sharing this fantastic article.

31. Lilo Huhle-Poelzl
    February 15, 2016 at 3:42 am (2 years ago)

P.S. I think that Goldilocks lived so long with kidney because she drank excessively. Sassy drank normally. And Sunshine, unfortunately, drank very little.

It might be a good idea to try to induce kidney-failure cats to drink from the faucet. Several of our cats love to drink from the faucet when it is turned on to produce a water flow that is as thin as a knitting needle. All our cats who drink from faucets usually drink much more than those who drink from water bowls. Another way to get cats to drink more is to use stainless-steel bowls. Plastic bowls smell like plastic, and some cats don’t like this.

Furthermore, some cats are “childish”. Our Christmas drinks very little from bowls but loves to drink from watering cans and buckets with water on the patio or in the sun room, even though this water (intended for plants) is not as fresh as the water in the cats’ drinking bowls.

• Joyce
      February 15, 2016 at 3:02 pm (2 years ago)

Ain’t that the truth. I have a neighbor who has metal flowing fountains, as did I, but her cat chooses to drink from a tall champagne flute she fills with stones & water, that she leaves out for moisture. My kids loved the fountains at one time. But somewhere down the line they started to drink from the German Shepherds ceramic bowl. (She was always gooping up the fountain water so I gave her her own bowl) It’s hilarious. I love how cats train us & let us think it’s the other way around.

32. Lilo Huhle-Poelzl
    February 15, 2016 at 3:33 am (2 years ago)

During the past 5 years, we had several cats with kidney failure.

Sunshine was put on renal diet and improved considerably. When my husband considered her cured after 9 months, he became slack and allowed her to sneak regular food on a regular basis. Sunshine went downhill and died a miserable death. The vet, whom we called to euthanize her, was out of town and arrived 40 min after Sunshine had died.

Sassy went on hunger strike when put on renal diet. We gave up and fed her regular cat food. Sassy lived another 15 months. She, unfortunately, died while we were out of town. We tried to return home early when the petsitter informed us that Sassy was going downhill, but Sassy was found dead when the petsitter returned the following morning.

When Goldilocks was diagnosed with kidney failure, in April 2012, and the blood test (as well as her history of excessive drinking) indicated that she had had this condition for quite some time. Our (new) vet told us that it was more important for Goldilocks to eat sufficiently than to eat a renal diet. So we didn’t even attempt to “torture” Goldilocks with renal diet. Goldilocks drank excessively but only when the water was fresh. She almost died when an irresponsible petsitter only poured onto the water but did not clean or refill the bowl with fresh water. Goldilocks was additionally diagnosed with a huge tumor in her belly, believed to be cancer, in Sept. 2013. She was put on Essiac tea to treat the cancer. Except for her excessive drinking, Goldilocks remained symptom-free until spring 2015, when she started losing weight. Goldilocks stopped eating and drinking in May 2015. 36 hours later, she died peacefully while being petted. Goldilocks was 20+ years old, and her gentle death (without nausea) indicated that she died neither of kidney failure nor of cancer but of old age.