James-Bowen-Street-Cat-Bob

I have been in love with Bob ever since I read the British edition of A Street Cat Named Bob more than three years ago, and have followed the amazing journey of the pair since then. As far as life-changing cats go, Bob is in a league of his own.

James and Bob’s newest book, A Gift from Bob, How a Street Cat Helped One Man Learn the Meaning of Christmas, will publish in the US on October 13 (look for a review and giveaway here on The Conscious Cat on October 16.) I promise you that you will absolutely adore this book.

a-gift-from-bob

I was delighted when James’ US publisher offered me the opportunity to send a few questions across the Atlantic to James.

James, when we last “spoke” via email two years ago, I asked you how your life had changed since your first book came out. Your answer was that the main change was that you no longer needed to be on the streets. I would imagine that your life has changed even more over the last two years: you’re opening a Cat Café in London, the movie version of your book will start filming next month, people are lining up for hours to see you and Bob. Does it still seem surreal to you at times?

Hello again! Life can be scary – but at the same time, it can be wonderful, and just now it is pretty wonderful!

james-bowen-street-cat-bob-movie

Let’s talk about Bob the Movie. Are you pleased with the casting of Luke Treadaway to play you?

I think Luke Treadaway will make a great job of being me for the film as he is an incredibly adaptable actor. I am honoured to have him playing me – and I look forward to our outings together to help him get a feel for my style and mannerisms.

More importantly, though: who will play Bob?

It sounds crazy but I recently learned that there are a number of fine ginger cats in Canada being trained to do stuff like Bob’s high five and more, and I can’t wait to see them in action.

james-bowen-street-cat-bob

Will you be involved with the script and with filming?

I have been asked to advise and will be visiting the set – and will maybe have a cameo – so look out for me when you see the film.

Tell us about Bob’s World Cat Café. When is it scheduled to open?

We are currently looking at shop fronts, licences and so forth around North London, it has to take a long time so we can get it right – but it is coming along!

What does a typical day look like for you and Bob?

We no longer have a typical day, as toward the end of the year we are pretty much running around the UK promoting the paperback of A Gift From Bob. In fact we have just got back from a really busy, terrific week in Germany. We love to make people happy by going out to meet them and perhaps making more people aware of the homeless situation in countries.

street-cat-bob-james-bowen

What has been the biggest challenge for you when it comes to living in the public eye as much as you do?

We have had to become a bit wary of going out now. This doesn’t mean I hide at home, and it is lovely that people want to say hello, but we can get crowded a bit. I do miss the days of being out on the street busking and selling the Big Issue magazine, but also it’s nice to know we are helping those who are like we once were. Sometimes we go out and hang with some of the magazine vendors which helps them with their sales. I still dabble on the guitar and write songs at home but I don’t think I would get an album deal somehow!

Are you working on another book?

I have a few books in me. At least two more autobiographical ones and I want to do a few more children’s books. But time will tell on these – we have the movie to release first and then we’ll see what comes next.

And lastly, I’ll have to ask again: any plans to come to the US?

We would love to come to the US – and I am just waiting for it to slot into place.

All photos via James Bowen and Street Cat Bob’s Facebook page

books banner for posts

15 Comments on Exclusive Interview with James Bowen: Bob the Movie, Bob’s World Cafe, and a New Book

1. Fidelia Lucero
    January 12, 2017 at 11:55 am (4 months ago)

Loved all three books, can wait to see movie, May God continue to bless James and Bob

2. Nicky
    September 17, 2016 at 1:34 am (7 months ago)

I really loved the first book! On my way to buy the second. Looking forward to the movie! I have four cats, Mia, Yoda, Padmè and Leia and a beautiful golden labrador, Oscar, who dotes on all of the cats as do I.
    I loved a street cat named Bob, so much I read it twice! I am a fan of you both, for life!

3. Mary Memmott
    August 8, 2016 at 5:43 am (9 months ago)

Hi James and Bob, I have just finished your 2nd book after been given your first A Street Cat Named Bob. Have recently lost my husband after 53 years married, always had cats two at the moment, they give me so much comfort so I can imagine Bob coming into your life has helped you in Spades, long may it continue.

4. amber
    May 10, 2016 at 12:56 pm (12 months ago)

I´ve read and enjoyed all the books about James ans Bob.I also can´t wait to see the both on the big screen!Kind regards from Germany!

5. Celinne
    October 2, 2015 at 2:15 pm (2 years ago)

I love everything about James and Bob. I am looking forward to the movie and learning more about the cat cafe. I love Canadian kitties but I don’t think any of them will be able to “High 5” in such a charming way as Bob!!

October 2, 2015 at 2:37 pm (2 years ago)

I agree, Celinne – no matter how well trained these Canadian kitties will be, there’s only one Bob!

6. claudia shepheard
    October 1, 2015 at 7:59 am (2 years ago)

Great interview! I love everything Bob and James. So happy for the two of them, no longer on the street and living safe and comfortable. Their story has touched so many around the world. Bob is in incredible little man, he has transformed James’ life, his way of saying thank you for taking me in. That is fierce loyalty and so much love! Cannot wait for the movie!

October 1, 2015 at 8:20 am (2 years ago)

I’m glad you enjoyed the interview, Claudia. I’m so excited about the movie, too!

7. Eastside Cats
    September 30, 2015 at 11:44 am (2 years ago)

I know that having my cats has transformed my life, but nowhere near what Bob did for James! Getting their story out to the world is wonderful, for emphasizing the bond cats can have with their humans.

8. toni / rctees
    September 30, 2015 at 8:13 am (2 years ago)

Wonderful interview Ingrid! My, hasn’t James come a long way since your first meeting! Love all his books and have truly enjoyed following his journey. How wonderful that he’s taking his success and giving back to those that helped him….doesn’t surprise me one bit.

Get that pop corn ready….can’t wait for the movie!!
    Interesting that they’re training cats in Canada to play Bob. Guess those Canadian cats are super talented. ; )

September 30, 2015 at 9:54 am (2 years ago)

It is remarkable how much life has changed for the pair, isn’t it, Toni? I can’t wait for the movie, either.

9. Janine
    September 30, 2015 at 8:12 am (2 years ago)

I can’t wait to see the movie. I have recently been asked to do a guest review of A Gift From Bob for a blogger friend. I can’t wait to start reading the book.

10. Fur Everywhere
    September 30, 2015 at 5:03 am (2 years ago)

Oh I LOVE Bob!!! I just read his first book this year and can’t wait to read the rest of them.

Thanks for the great interview!

11. Vanessa Morgan
    September 30, 2015 at 4:30 am (2 years ago)

I am in love with them too and have all their books. I read the British edition of A Gift from Bob last Christmas and loved it (obviously).

12. Summer
    September 30, 2015 at 3:11 am (2 years ago)

How exciting – a movie, a cat cafe and all the other things that James and Bob are doing! How cool that you got to talk to James.