Weight Loss Tips for Cats

tortoiseshell-cat-on-scale

A survey conducted by the Association for Pet Obesity in 2012 found that a staggering 58% of America’s cats are overweight or obese. These statistics mirror the equally disturbing increase in human obesity. According to the Centers for Disease Control, more than one third of adults in the United States are obese.

The serious health problems in cats which result from obesity are the same as in humans:

• Diabetes
  • Arthritis, joint problems and and torn or strained ligaments
  • Heart and respiratory problems
  • Gastro-intestinal and digestive problems
  • Compromised immune system
  • Increased risk during anesthesia and surgery

Because food is so often associated with love, we are, quite literally, killing our cats with kindness. Dr. Elizabeth Colleran, a feline veterinarian and owner of two cat practices, has found that “the closer the relationship a guardian has with his or her cats, the more likely a cat is to be obese.”

How cats prefer to eat

Cats are, by nature, solitary hunters who prefer to eat alone. “We think of eating as hospitality,” says Colleran. “Cats don’t.” Cats in the wild will eat multiple small meals a day, and of course, they will hunt down their prey. This is one of the reasons why free choice feeding (leaving food out at all times) is such a bad idea, and a major contributor to the obesity epidemic we’re seeing in cats. If food is available all the time, most cats will eat it.

“Feed as many small meals a day as you can,” says Colleran. “The more (small) meals you feed, the more active cats will be.”

What to feed for weight loss

Cats are obligate carnivores, which means they need meat not only to survive, but to thrive. The optimal diet for a cat is a properly formulated raw, home-cooked or premium grain-free canned diet. Cats should never eat dry food, even the grain-free dry varieties are too high in carbohydrates. I do not recommend diets marketed as weight-loss diets, especially not the veterinary prescription diets. Most are too high in carbohydrates, and contain by-products and fillers. Eating carbs does not create a feeling of being satiated, only protein can do that.

How much to feed for weight loss

Cats need to lose weight slowly and gradually. “Healthy weight loss is about two ounces a week,” says Dr. Colleran. This is especially important for seriously overweight cats. When food intake is cut too quickly in obese cats, they can develop hepatic lipidosis (fatty liver disease,) a potentially life threatening condition.

Dr. Colleran advises to feed 40-50 Kcal per kilogram (1 kilogram equals 2.2 pounds, 1 pound equals 0.45 kilograms) times the cat’s target weight times 60-70%. This means that if your cat should weigh 10 pounds, she should eat between 108 and 157 Kcal per day.

This is quite a bit less than what the recommendations on a can or bag of food will tell you to feed. As a result, Dr. Colleran spends a lot of time helping her clients separate pet food marketing from medical issues. “Unfortunately, cat food manufacturers give a lot of false information to pet owners,” says Dr. Colleran. Additionally, she says, “many of the prescription diets for weight loss are actually inadequate at maintaining lean body mass.”

Environmental enrichment needs to be part of a weight loss program

Environmental enrichment is critical to ensure successful weight loss. Play offers cats a way to exercise and to keep them burn off energy. Toys that mimic predatory behavior, such as interactive wand toys, are a great way to not only encourage play, but for cat and human to bond. Puzzle toys keep cats mentally challenged.

Supplements to aid with weight loss

Never give supplements for human weight loss to cats. I don’t even consider many of the human weight loss supplements safe for humans, and they certainly won’t be safe for cats.

L-Carnitine has been shown to have positive metabolic effects in cats. L-Lysine may help diminish the loss of lean body mass. Omega-3 supplements have been shown to promote weight loss in humans, and are a good daily supplement for all cats, even healthy cats.

Image via Amazon

Nordic Naturals banner for posts

11 Comments on Weight Loss Tips for Cats

1. Gillowgirl
    April 22, 2017 at 2:30 pm (2 months ago)

Advice on feeding depresses me because you can’t force a cat to eat what it doesn’t want. A few years ago I adopted a wonderful cat with horrendous forles disease. Our wonderful vet educated me on raw whole food. My cat loved it but could only eat a tiny amount at a time. In summer the food went off within a short time as it contained the whole prey which included offal. She then wouldn’t eat it so we had to compromise. We had to let Lucy go to sleep and adopted two from Cats Protection. They were fed on a very high carb low protein food as obviously a charity couldn’t afford better. We tried all sorts of high meat wet foods but they decided on a 45% wet food. They also shared a raw chicken breast. Evening they had a few dried kibbles to get them used to it as I can’t exp my elderly neighbour to feed them four times a day when I’m away. To my dismay they will now only eat the kibble. It’s 75% game and no grain but I’m not happy. Gypsy who had a trauma to the head, which tore her mouth still didn’t want soft food so lost a lot of weight while recovering. I feel so aweful when I read how to feed cats because I know raw whole prey is best but my cats won’t do it!

April 22, 2017 at 2:44 pm (2 months ago)

While you may not be able to force a cat to eat something she doesn’t want, there’s a lot you can do to transition cats to a healthier diet. Perhaps this article will help: http://consciouscat.net/2014/12/22/ask-cat-vet-transition-cat-healthy-diet/

Don’t feel bad – you’re educating yourself, and trying to do the best you can. While a whole raw diet may be optimal, there are other healthy alternatives that may be more palatable for dry food addicts.

2. Vets in Cheshire
    September 25, 2015 at 10:14 am (2 years ago)

Excellent article and very important topic. Stimulation is very important to keeping a cat active I feel and do cat’s really need so many treats when it comes to food? They can be really bad for them.

3. Barry Farris
    September 1, 2015 at 3:16 pm (2 years ago)

In a recent article in Mother Earth News, August/September 2015, referenced a study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition that has shown a direct relationship between artificial soy and obesity. Because the study involved about the highest level of study, the implications are of great benefit to both cats and humans.

September 2, 2015 at 5:58 am (2 years ago)

I’m not surprised at all to hear this, Barry. Unfortunately, many of the lower quality brands of cat food (and often, these are well-known brands) substitute meat protein with soy, since it’s cheaper.

4. Denise
    August 31, 2015 at 12:20 pm (2 years ago)

How do you know what the recommende weight is for your Cat? I have one kitty who I was told she should weigh 10 Lb. she has reached her goal on Hillss Metabolic prescription dry and wet food. I am nervous about how to proceed I also have a big Tom cat. He has always had a weight problem(15-17 lb at the moment has been as high as 20) he also has had bouts of diarrhea and is on a single ingredient wet venison Royal canin prescription and low cal Royal Canin dry. He gets 1/4 cup dry Am & PM and 1/8 of wet in AM and PM My other 2 kitties are normal wet. I want to get them all on safe grain free diet. I am afraid to do raw The normal kitties are on Wellness Wet Beef and Chicken canned. And same and Royal Canin dry. Please help me get a bit more detailed instructions on how to help my kitties transition to a healthier grain free diet w/on at gain when I asked my vet about grain free high protein she said it was going to make them fatter. Help.

5. Ilse Devriese
    August 31, 2015 at 9:45 am (2 years ago)

I second the environmental enrichment part, especially! I’ve had some great results by introducing a food bowl that forces the cats to paw out the food – it keeps them from gorging, overeating, and makes it into a fun game

6. Fur Everywhere
    August 31, 2015 at 7:31 am (2 years ago)

Thanks for this information. I’ll ask our vet about these supplements. Carmine and Lita take l-lysine daily already to help with their immune systems. Our situation is a bit complicated, but we really need to help Lita lose a bit of weight – she isn’t obese, but she does weigh a little more than her ideal.

If you have any ideas on how to get her motivated to play, please share with me. She used to LOVE her Neko fly, but now she won’t play with it at all when I bring it out.

August 31, 2015 at 10:43 am (2 years ago)

Sometimes, it can help to rotate toys. I often “hide” toys and then bring them back out a few weeks later, and the girls act like they just got a new toy.

7. Summer
    August 31, 2015 at 4:09 am (2 years ago)

My human has always thought those feeding recommendations on cat food cans were NUTS! She’d never feed a cat that much. We eat about as much as you recommend here… and none of us are overweight.