Nutritional Yeast: A Secret Weapon to Get Finicky Cats to Eat

nutritional-yeast-cat-eating

There aren’t many things that are more frustrating than a cat who is fussy about her food. Getting finicky cats to eat can try even the most loving cat parent’s patience. There are a lot of different things you can do to entice a finicky eater. Nutritional yeast is one of the least known, yet potentially most successful weapons in your fight against finickiness (I’m not sure whether that’s a real word, but it should be!)

What is nutritional yeast?

Nutritional yeast is deactivated yeast that is grown on sugarcane or beet molasses. It is sold in the form of flakes or as a yellow powder, and can be found in the bulk aisle of most natural food stores. It has a strong nutty or cheesy flavor, which is why it is used as a cheese substitute in many vegetarian or vegan recipes. It also tastes great sprinkled over popcorn. Nutritional yeast is great source of B vitamins, a good source of potassium, and is nearly 50% protein. It isΒ  naturally low in fat, sodium and it is sugar and dairy free.

The difference between nutritional yeast and brewer’s yeast

Nutritional yeast is different from brewer’s yeast, which is a by-product of the beer brewing process. Brewers yeast also contains many vital nutrients, but has a more bitter taste. Some cats seem to like it. If you want to try brewer’s yeast, make sure to read labels: some manufacturers will add garlic, which is toxic to cats.

Nutritional yeast for cats

Not every cat will like the taste of nutritional yeast, but most cats love it. I use it with both Allegra and Ruby. Ruby can be a bit fussy about her food, and sprinkling a little bit of nutritional yeast over her meal will get her eating every single time. Allegra goes absolutely crazy for the stuff and starts dancing around my legs as soon as I get the jar out of the refrigerator.

You can’t really overdose a cat on nutritional yeast. I give between 1/4 to 1 teaspoon a day, depending on how much is needed to get Ms. Fussy to eat.

Concerns about phosphorus in nutritional yeast

Nutritional yeast does contain phosphorus, which can be a concern for cats in renal failure. “The typical dose of 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon would only add about 14 mg of Phosphorus,” says homeopathic feline veterinarian Andrea Tasi of Just Cats Naturally. “This would only matter if a cat is in advanced renal failure, or if the diet is otherwise high in phosphorus.” Dr. Tasi’s cat Fifi, who had chronic renal disease, loved nutritional yeast and got some on her raw food every day.

As far as flavor enhancers go, they don’t get any healthier or more effective than nutritional yeast.

Have you tried nutritional yeast for your finicky eater?

New Dr. Goodpet banner

72 Comments on Nutritional Yeast: A Secret Weapon to Get Finicky Cats to Eat

1. Mahshtay
    June 21, 2017 at 1:17 pm (2 months ago)

This post just showed up in my FB feed as I’m stressing with my finicky cat. He has been on the Iams low ph for urinary tract crystals. But Iams discontinued their prescription formulas, so I decided if I had to get new food, now was the time to go raw. I had been feeding him the Primal Turkey dehydrated because I could add extra water to it. He’s been eating it for several weeks and all of a sudden a few days ago, he stopped. I sprinkle freeze dried chicken on top, add some greenie treats, he’ll only nibble. Yesterday, I gave in and went and got some cans of Wevura, he ate a little last night but is turning up his nose this morning. I’m noticing a lot of hair in his stool and I’m wondering if that’s related. I would take him to the vet, but this cat goes crazy. They have to sedate him (put him in the box) to even get a look at him and that increases the price of the vet visit too much. I’m going to get some of the nutritional yeast today. Would love to hear any other ideas you have too. Thanks!

• Mahshtay
      June 21, 2017 at 7:07 pm (2 months ago)

Update: Just got home from the store with nutritional yeast and it WORKED! thanks so much for posting this info.

June 22, 2017 at 5:51 am (2 months ago)

Excellent!

2. Barbara Smith
    May 24, 2017 at 1:26 pm (3 months ago)

My cat is resisting the change from dry to canned cat food. I am worried sick that he is not eating enough. I read your article about nutritional yeast and bought some Bragg’s at the health food store yesterday. It had a very positive effect. He ate more than usual but still not enough. He loves it but tends to lick it off of the food and eats only a little of the actual food. I am thinking of ordering fortiflora from Amazon but you have to buy a case so I have hesitated. My question is, can you use both the yeast and fortiflora? I don’t mean together, I just mean one or the other at mealtime on the same day. I am desperate. He won’t eat pate at all and it is hard to find multiple brands that offer chunks. Help! I am about ready to jump off a bridge.

May 24, 2017 at 4:39 pm (3 months ago)

I do not recommend Fortiflora – it contains animal digest. If you decide to use it anyway, you can use it with nutritional yeast.

3. Lisa
    April 24, 2017 at 1:56 pm (4 months ago)

Hi there!
    I just stumbled across your website when I was looking for information about cats and yeast tablets.
    This is wonderful news you have here, my 18-yr-old cat is very finicky about his food and the nutritional yeast, “nooch”, really got his attention!
    He snarfed down the small amount of wet food on one dish and went after my other cat’s dish when I sprinkled some on to the food in the second dish.
    This is just what I need to get my skinny senior cat to eat a little more.
    Thanks so much!

April 24, 2017 at 4:42 pm (4 months ago)

I’m so glad this helped, Lisa!

4. Tom
    January 2, 2017 at 2:09 pm (8 months ago)

Our 13.5 yr old cat was diagnosed with a hyperactive thyroid. Our vet prescribed Hills Y-D Thyroid Formula. At 6.6 lbs, it would be great if the cat could gain 2lbs by increasing its appetite. We`re thinking Nutritional Yeast would help but worry that it may contain iodine which came up in a google search. The question is how much. If it were only 5-10 mcg in 1 oz, I would consider that insignificant, but 100 mcg in 1oz might cause problems for cats on a iodine restricted diet. I could try Mirtazapine but would rather use a nutritional supplement if possible. Any help or ideas greatly appreciated

5. Ursula
    April 14, 2016 at 10:08 am (1 year ago)

I’m considering getting some of the nutritional yeast for Mia. She does not eat any one food for very long and then I have to scramble to find something she will eat. My concern is. if I get the yeast in the bulk food section of my store, how can I be sure it doesn’t contain garlic?

April 14, 2016 at 10:27 am (1 year ago)

I’ve never heard of nutritional yeast containing garlic, Ursula, but I guess the only way to be 100% sure is to buy the packaged version.

• Eb
      July 15, 2016 at 12:16 pm (1 year ago)

I just added some Bragg nutritional yeast from a sample I had…I had read about adding it to wet food from another site a few days ago so just came across your information. Thank you..now I feel relieved. All of a sudden kitty (very healthy at 18 years) was barely touching her wet food, which I switch out often. She usually loves it. After throwing out food and getting new cans …I gave up. I even changed the dishes/plates. Crazy. Am going to buy a jar today.

July 15, 2016 at 1:59 pm (1 year ago)

I’m so glad this worked for your kitty, Eb!

• eb
        August 4, 2016 at 9:15 pm (1 year ago)

It did and it does THANK YOU..now she’s back (typical cat) to eating her wet food as normal (after about 3 weeks of adding the yeast) but I add it now and then just for appeal. So glad I read your advice…! πŸ™‚

• Tara
      July 31, 2016 at 10:04 am (1 year ago)

I switched my cats to a grain free food and my very picky eater wouldn’t touch it. In fact he would smell it and gag. I sprinkled some nutritional yeast on the food and holy finicky feline it worked !!!! I’m really happy he’s eating thanks so much for the suggestions!

July 31, 2016 at 3:33 pm (1 year ago)

I’m so glad it worked for you!

6. Alexander Gillespie
    March 5, 2016 at 5:35 am (1 year ago)

My cat just absolutely loves nutritional yeast but he expects it with every meal now!

March 5, 2016 at 5:39 am (1 year ago)

Some cats do seem to find it addictive πŸ™‚

7. Rosslyn
    February 19, 2016 at 11:17 am (1 year ago)

I have 3 cats aged 10 (Mocha), 9 (Simba), and 8 (Shiloh). I got them all as kittens and I have been giving them kibble all their lives. Recently, I learned that kibble is junk food for cats, and I want to switch them over to raw food eventually. I tried giving them raw chicken, but two didn’t eat much of it, and Shiloh wouldn’t touch it. The two that did eat it vomited it. So I partially cook the chicken in some bacon fat, and Mocha and Simba like that. But again, Shiloh is so picky, she won’t even touch that. I also give them beef or chicken liver, partially cooked. Shiloh will only eat canned food (it’s grain free), but she will eat only about 2 tsp each meal (3 times a day). I’m worried that she’s not getting enough food. She’s rebelling probably because she’s not getting the kibble anymore, which I really feel that she’s addicted to. I hope soon, that she will increase her food intake so that she can get enough nutrition. She has lost weight since not having the kibble (about 1 month now). I just don’t want her to lose more weight. Then there’s the issue of taurine. I am hoping that they are getting enough taurine. The other two cats eat only twice a day. All of them like to eat a tiny bit of my homemade plain yogurt. I also add a little bit of hard boiled egg to their food. Probably raw egg is better, right? If you could reply, and give your feedback on how I feed my cats, or any other advice, that would be appreciated, since I’m new at switching them over to better food. Thanks so much!

February 19, 2016 at 1:19 pm (1 year ago)

Good for you for no longer feeding dry food to your cats, Rosslyn. Cooked chicken or beef on its own is not a complete diet for cats, you’ll need to add appropriate supplements to ensure they get enough taurine and other vitamins and minerals. Please read this article for more information on properly formulated home cooked food for your cats: http://consciouscat.net/2013/01/21/homemade-food-for-your-cat-healthy-simple-and-economical/ You may also find this article helpful to help your cats transition to a healthier diet: http://consciouscat.net/2014/12/22/ask-cat-vet-transition-cat-healthy-diet/ I hope this helps!

• Rosslyn
        April 14, 2016 at 10:38 am (1 year ago)

Here’s an update on Mocha, Simba, and Shiloh. They all eat grain-free canned food. Mocha and Simba do not get kibble at all anymore. I feed those two cats raw chicken with chopped bones and partially cooked liver mixed in with the canned food. Shiloh still will not eat raw chicken or liver, but I sneak in some chopped bones in the canned food, and she likes that. But because she’s a little kitty, she still does not eat a lot at one sitting, so I still feed her a bit of kibble a few times a day, on my schedule. I cannot leave it out because the other cats will eat it all. I realized that I cannot feed the other two cats too much food twice a day because they will vomit it, so I feed them 3 times a day smaller portions, and they are happy with that. The reason that I want to feed canned food, is that it has the vitamins and nutrients already added, and it’s more affordable for me than to buy supplements. It’s more convenient as well. They are healthy and content with their new way of eating.

April 15, 2016 at 5:35 am (1 year ago)

Sounds like things are going really well, Rosslyn! Thanks for the update.

• G
          May 3, 2016 at 1:20 pm (1 year ago)

Have you considered getting the finicky ones teeth checked? It could be plaque, tartar or stomatitis that keeps her from eating and not the food.

8. Pattie
    October 19, 2015 at 7:52 pm (2 years ago)

I have one cat that begs for nutritional yeast, and another that eats his raw food a little less reluctantly because the n.y. is sprinkled on the top. Just adopted a third cat, 7 years old that must have been kibble fed his entire life because he turned up his nose at canned food for his 3 plus months at the shelter. I figured he would be a real challenge to transition to a raw food diet but now, about 2.5 months later, he eats mostly raw food with a very few grain free kibble pieces on the top. He really seems to like all the ‘extras’ though. Nutritional yeast, Dr. Schulze’s superfood powder, enzymes and probiotics.

October 20, 2015 at 6:13 am (2 years ago)

Good for you for getting your new kitty transitioned to raw, Pattie. Just goes to show that with a little patience and creativity, most, if not all cats, can be transitioned.

9. Ada
    October 15, 2015 at 10:33 am (2 years ago)

WOW!!! I just read today’s post “by” Allegra on her visit to the dentist and the comment about nutritional yeast caught my attention, so I dug further and found this post and want to say “THANK YOU!!!!!”. I can’t wait to try this with my Henry. He just HATES the carrier and I’ve been desperate to have a good way to entice him into it without having to cause trauma for either of us. Can’t wait to try this!

October 15, 2015 at 4:32 pm (2 years ago)

Let me know how it works for you, Ada!

• Ada
        November 9, 2015 at 2:46 pm (2 years ago)

Well, Henry does indeed like nutritional yeast, but he’s a crafty guy and, after a year as a feral cat, he’s not stupid. So, putting the ny in the cat carrier didn’t fool him one bit and he refused to go into it….sigh! So Max went to the vet and Henry stayed home. The vert (and also friends) have recommended that I get a hard carrier and keep it in the main living space and feed him in it, so he gets accustomed to it (and can maybe be tricked into it for a vet visit). My fingers are crossed!

November 10, 2015 at 7:20 am (2 years ago)

Good luck, Ada. Keep us posted!

• G
          May 3, 2016 at 1:24 pm (1 year ago)

you can also use the carrier as a sleeping bed by taking the top off of it and lining it with familiar towel or toys or snacks.. this way he will see it in a positive light.

10. Iulia Vulpe
    August 23, 2015 at 5:42 pm (2 years ago)

I have quite a funny and a bit gross story about my cat eating n.y. The first time i discovered she GOES FREAKIN’ NUTS about n.y. is when I first opened a fresh bag and took out a spoonful of the wonder flakes. Shnarfie went absolutely crazy, almost begging me to give her a bit :)) So I sprinkled some flakes over her moist food she hadn’t finished and she dug in like it was manna from Heaven. One minute later she puked everything out and ate it again because it still smelled good. I think I should give her a pig’s name :))

August 24, 2015 at 6:04 am (2 years ago)

If that’s not a testament to how much some cats love nutritional yeast, I don’t know what is… πŸ˜‰

• Ada
      November 9, 2015 at 2:47 pm (2 years ago)

that is soooo funny!

11. Meghan
    August 14, 2015 at 7:17 am (2 years ago)

I’ve got a 13 yo Maine Coon who’s recently decided he doesn’t want to touch his food. He’ll eat bit initially but then turn his nose up to it. I don’t think it’s a illness of any sort as I’ve caught him getting into my dogs food and attempting to eat that, so I know he’s hungry. I feed him strictly wet food per my vet about 3 years ago. Every once an awhile he would turn his nose up to the food I feed him but then I’d change the flavor and he’d be fine. But, this past month he’s not having any of it. I do free feed both my cats. Should I try setting certain feeding times? I saw this article and considered the nutritional yeast, but I’m at a loss? I haven’t spoken to my vet yet but I’ve been switching our different food flavors in the hopes that we’ll find one he fancy’s. Any info would be great!!

• Lisa Orr
      August 14, 2015 at 11:03 am (2 years ago)

I gave my anorexic cat a few “Temptation” treats and he started eating. Once he liked the taste, I crushed a few Temptations and sprinkled it on his wet food. I’ve had always good success with these treats, using them in moderation. Don’t worry about the quality of the food for the time being, as long as he eats. A moderate quality food like Fancy Feast appeals to most cats, try it.

12. Lisa Orr
    July 22, 2015 at 11:24 am (2 years ago)

I adopted a 10-year old male cat from the SPCA a couple of weeks ago. When I brought him home he ate everything, meowed for more food. He had a hit of an itchy skin, so I fed him Royal Kanin Skin dry food and Fancy Feast. He had his first check up with the vet and his teeth were terribly coated with gunk with red gums, and one tooth that looked like it may be in need of extraction. He had a full blood work and urinalysis done, and was proclaimed a very healthy kitty for his age, actually as healthy as half his age. Prior to the dental the vet asked me to give him an injection of Convenia antibiotic, which I did 3 days before the dental. The dental procedure went very smoothly, as it turned out he did not need any extraxtions, just a lot of scaling and cleaning.
    Right after he came home he was not eating very well. I thought it was due to the anesthesia, but the next day was the same, and now a week later there is no improvement. He eats like a little bird, mostly Fancy Feast, which he only will eat out of my hand. He doesn’t want any kibbles, except a treat or two. In a day he eats only about 2/3 of a Fancy Feast can and about a tablespoon of tuna or salmon broth. I am sick with worry (and stopped eating myself out of anxnniety). He lost about 4oz, and he is a small, 8 lbs. cat, that can’t afford to lose more weight. What to do to get him to eat? (p.s. I suspect the Convenia played a large role in this).

• Lisa Orr
        July 22, 2015 at 6:43 pm (2 years ago)

The vet is aware of it. I didn’t want to start giving him an appetite stimulant, as I was worried about further adverse effects he may have to drugs. I am trying to manage him with hand-feeding, treats and liquids. I just went out and bought the nutritional yeast, but he hates it. Out of desperation I bought several foods and he likes the only “junk” one out of the lot, and he ate about a tablespoon. Better junk food than no food wt all. I need to stimulate his appetite somehow naturally before going the drug route. Thank for the link re Convenia. I am sure this is the result of it. I had several cats in the past that got Convenia injections without any effect on their appetite, but this cat is different, maybe because he so small.

• Nicole
          July 22, 2015 at 6:56 pm (2 years ago)

My 10 year-old male just had dental surgery two weeks ago and went through the same thing – Convenia injection and refusing to eat. I did do the appetite stimulant and it worked very well. He was prescribed one dose every 48 hours, and it only took two doses until he was eating on his own again. My other cats have never had an adverse reaction to Convenia, so this was a surprise to me, too. I’m glad I did the stimulant, I was pleased with how quickly it worked for him. Good luck with your boy!

• Lisa Orr
            July 24, 2015 at 10:28 am (2 years ago)

Got the appetite stimulant and he is doing better, eating and drinking now. Sleeping more than usual. Thank you everyone.

13. Debra Mansir
    May 11, 2015 at 1:30 pm (2 years ago)

My little girl got sick at her stomach so I guess it won’t work for her. She has not been eating well and really am looking for something to help.

14. Susie
    February 21, 2015 at 2:21 pm (2 years ago)

Thank you so much for this reminder, Ingrid! My kitty appetite enticers have been FortiFlora, parmesan cheese, bonito flakes — tiny sprinklings just to get the smell ‘out there’. I had totally forgotten the nutritional yeast in my cupboard, which had expired over a year ago! Whole Foods carries Braggs Nutritional Yeast Seasoning in a 4.5 oz. plastic bottle and Dr. Oz recommends it over microwaved popcorn in a brown paper bag — makes everybody happy!!! MEOW!

15. Nicole
    February 19, 2015 at 11:24 pm (2 years ago)

I love nutritional yeast, but I never thought to share with my picky girl. I can not believe how quickly she tucked into her food with the yeast added! Thank you so much for this great tip.

February 20, 2015 at 6:56 am (2 years ago)

I’m so glad it worked for you!

• Nicole
        April 24, 2017 at 5:07 pm (4 months ago)

I forgot all about this! My little lady is now 18, and starting to get VERY picky. I started with the yeast again yesterday, and she ate her whole dinner and breakfast this morning. Thank you, again πŸ˜€

16. Jeanette
    February 18, 2015 at 12:09 pm (3 years ago)

Do you use the yeast flakes or is it a powder? Is there a brand you can recommend? I see that they have it at Whole Foods. Thanks.

February 18, 2015 at 2:13 pm (3 years ago)

I get mine at Whole Foods – the consistency is somewhere between flaky and powdery. You can find it in the bulk bins, and they also sell it in a pre-packaged tin.

17. cindy
    February 17, 2015 at 11:16 am (3 years ago)

if my cat is on a single protein diet (duck only), can it be used? It does have protein in it…I eat it all the time so it is readily available around my home!

February 17, 2015 at 11:59 am (3 years ago)

I ran your question by Dr. Tasi, Cindy. Her answer is that it’s probably okay, but not ideal if you’re in the initial elimination trial phase. Once a cat is under control on a single protein diet, it could be judiciously introduced with very careful observation to see if there are any changes.

18. Wendy
    February 17, 2015 at 10:15 am (3 years ago)

I had no idea! This is a great tip for my diabetic kitty that can be a little finicky but needs to eat with her insulin. Thanks!

February 17, 2015 at 12:00 pm (3 years ago)

Just make sure that you use nutritional and not brewer’s yeast, Wendy. Brewer’s yeast is rich in chromium, which can affect glucose tolerance.

19. Ellen Pilch
    February 16, 2015 at 7:50 pm (3 years ago)

Great ost, I am going to save this information in case one of mine gets picky.

20. Dawn
    February 16, 2015 at 5:59 pm (3 years ago)

I never knew this. This is a great tip. Lola can be a little finicky at times.

21. Glogirly & Katie
    February 16, 2015 at 2:25 pm (3 years ago)

Fantastic tip! We will definitely be giving this a try!
    : )

22. Joe
    February 16, 2015 at 12:50 pm (3 years ago)

I found Colostrum to be great, my cat just about knocks me over to get to it. I started off with chewable tablets and then switched to powder. It costs more than yeast, but I consider it as insurance for good health since it’s an immune system boost, and supports GI tract health.. I take it too. There are many brands and quality varies. I like Symbiotics. Don’t tell your cat, but it’s good for dogs too.

February 16, 2015 at 10:19 am (3 years ago)

Thanks for the post Ingrid. I have never heard of this before.

24. Nadbugs
    February 16, 2015 at 10:00 am (3 years ago)

I use nutritional yeast all the time. We bond with it. The cats lick it off my fingers and so we both love it. I have added bone meal to the stuff I buy in bulk at the health-food store, as I have heard that would be an important balancing agent. Did not know about the garlic concern, though, so thank you VERY much for that.

February 16, 2015 at 12:01 pm (3 years ago)

I believe that garlic is only added to brewer’s yeast, not nutritional yeast, but it’s probably a good thing to double check anyway.

25. Bonnie
    February 16, 2015 at 9:05 am (3 years ago)

Interesting! I wonder if this would help cats in shelters to eat if they are stressed or sick. Also, could this be given to dogs?

February 16, 2015 at 9:24 am (3 years ago)

Yes, it can be given to dogs, too. I think it would be a great product to use for shelter cats, not just to get them to eat, but because of the nutritional properties.

• Steve howard
        February 16, 2015 at 10:16 am (3 years ago)

I work at an animal shelter and will run it by my supervisor because this seems like a great addition to the diets we provide.

• Lis
          June 15, 2015 at 6:37 pm (2 years ago)

I was wondering if Steve Howard or anyone above had found out what the vet said about Brewer’s Yeast as opposed to Nutritional Yeast? Im so confused because I was told the Nutritional one had garlic and I was told garlic IS NOT good for dogs. I went everywhere to find the brewers yeast today to make dog treats but not even the heath food store here carries it. Help

June 16, 2015 at 6:18 am (2 years ago)

Nutritional yeast does not contain garlic, unless the brand you have added garlic in. Dogs are not my area of expertise, but garlic is toxic to cats.

26. Fur Everywhere
    February 16, 2015 at 7:24 am (3 years ago)

Thanks for the great tip! Carmine gets fussy about his food sometimes, so I’ll definitely try this when he’s in one of those moods!

27. Steve howard
    February 16, 2015 at 6:51 am (3 years ago)

Oops! I got ahead of myself. I just realized that it’s the stuff I put on my popcorn that my cats love. πŸ™‚

February 16, 2015 at 7:13 am (3 years ago)

That would be the one, Steve! πŸ™‚

28. Steve howard
    February 16, 2015 at 6:49 am (3 years ago)

I cannot believe that I hadn’t heard of these products before. Where can I find them? Pet store, grocery store, online? I have so many nutrition questions.

• Keli
      February 16, 2015 at 9:18 am (3 years ago)

Amazon.com and many other places online. Some vets and pet stores carry the products too.
      Yes cats and dogs can use these products. Fortiflora has a separate version for dogs and the yeast can be given to either or. Read up on the products by googling them.

• Steve howard
        February 16, 2015 at 10:17 am (3 years ago)

Thank you. If I buy one for the fur babies I won’t have to share my popcorn.

29. Keli
    February 16, 2015 at 1:52 am (3 years ago)

My secret weapon for my cats was FortiFlora from Purina. It’s a nutritional supplement that got them off dry food and on to canned and raw foods. They loved the taste! My cats were not easy to transition until I found out about this product. Great article!

February 16, 2015 at 9:30 am (3 years ago)

Fortiflora is essentially kitty crack. πŸ™‚ The reason cats love it so much is that its first ingredient is animal digest. Animal digest is used as a flavor enhancer in dry food manufacturing, and it’s the reason why so many cats are addicted to dry food. Fortiflora is a probiotic supplement, and can be a good choice to get cats eating again, but I don’t recommend it as a long term choice, because of the addiction factor.

My go to probiotic product is Dr. Goodpet’s Feline Digestive Enzymes, a combination of probiotics and enzymes without fillers or additives http://amzn.to/YRaNcE This is not a flavor enhancer, so it won’t help with enticing cats to eat, but I recommend it as a daily supplement for all cats. The powder has no flavor and can easily be mixed in with food.