Probiotics: One of the Most Important Supplements for Your Cat

probiotics_for_cats

There has been a fair amount of research on the human side on how critical a healthy gut is for a strong immune system, healthy body weight and composition, and even mental health. A healthy gut also minimizes the risk for numerous diseases, including diabetes and cancer. Probiotics are crucial to promoting good intestinal health, and while there are far fewer studies about the beneficial effects of probiotics for animals, the studies that do exist have found that probiotics have the same positive effect on animals as they do on humans.

What are probiotics?

Probiotics are microorganisms, also knows as “friendly bacteria,” that reside in the digestive tract. They include  Lactobacillus acidophilus and other Lactobacillus species, certain strains of Bacillus, Enterococcus, Bifidobacteria, and Streptococcus. They promote a healthy balance of bacteria in the gut, which is important for complete digestion and absorption of nutrients.

A healthy gut has plenty of these friendly bacteria. Problems begin when they are challenged or outnumbered by anything from use of prescription drugs, especially antibiotics, an inadequate diet, a compromised immune system, or stress. Additionally, environmental toxins such as pesticides or chemical pollutants can also damage intestinal health. Even natural events such as the aging process can impact the balance of healthy bacteria in the gut.

Conditions caused by an unhealthy gut

Some of the most common symptoms of an unhealthy digestive tract are:

• diarrhea
    • constipation
    • flatulence
    • hairballs
    • irritable bowel sydrome (IBS)
    • inflammatory bowel disease (IBD)
    • skin allergies
    • food allergies

Benefits of probiotics

Probiotics restore natural gut health. They can be beneficial for all of the problems listed above. More importantly, probiotics contribute to keeping your cat’s immune system strong. They are especially important for cats who have any type of digestive disorder, ranging from diarrhea and vomiting to constipation. Since antibiotics destroy healthy gut flora, probiotics should always be given concurrently with antibiotics.

How to add probiotics to your cat’s diet

In an ideal world, the best way to provide probiotics for your cat would be through a minimally processed, species-appropriate diet. The more processed a diet is, the more nutrients are lost. For that reason, I recommend a good probiotic supplement, to be given daily with every meal.

How to find a good probiotic

Not all probiotics are created equal. Despite label claims, few commercially available probiotic products actually contain live bacteria, but it appears that even the “dead” bacteria in these products still have a significant beneficial impact on digestion.

Look for products that are “pure” probiotics and/or digestive enzymes, with no other supplements added in. One popular veterinary product lists animal digest as the first ingredient. Animal digest is used as a flavor enhancer in dry food manufacturing, and it’s the reason why so many cats are addicted to dry food.

My go to product is Dr. Goodpet’s Feline Digestive Enzymes. The product contains both probiotics and digestive enzymes. It is an unflavored powder that is easily mixed in with wet food, and most cats accept it readily. I also like Mercola Complete Probiotics for Pets, although I prefer the Dr. Goodpet product since it also contains digestive enzymes.

New Dr. Goodpet banner

61 Comments on Probiotics: One of the Most Important Supplements for Your Cat

1. Martha Sisco
    September 30, 2016 at 1:03 pm (7 months ago)

My partner and I are big cat lovers, we have 11 of our own, some are permanent fosters, but they are still ours. About a month ago a couple who had adopted a cat from the organization that we use to volunteer for called asking if we could take Thumper in for awhile, they also had another cat Simon. We took the boys, but unfortunately Simon had suffered from stomatitis and had all his teeth pulled. Simon has trouble with diarrhea, and we are wanting to know what the best probiotic would be for him.His owner said that when his food is changed he develops the diarrhea. He is on a high quality food, but he is very slim and just want to help him.

• Julie
        October 15, 2016 at 5:43 am (7 months ago)

Hi
        Do you know if you can get these in uk please?
        I was hoping to try them as soon as possible.

October 15, 2016 at 5:38 pm (7 months ago)

You should be able to order them on Amazon, Julie.

2. Jenna Rose
    July 24, 2016 at 6:48 pm (9 months ago)

Hi all! Came across your lovely blog. Thought I’ll drop off my probiotic recipe for all you cat lovers! Mine is loving his probiotic Greek yogurt / cream / cottage cheese with scoby added to boost probiotics and is on the mend again. He was feeling lethargic so here it is https://winningrecipesblog.wordpress.com/2016/04/22/homemade-probiotic-greek-yogurt-cream-or-cottage-cheese-absolutely-delish/ Hope you all enjoy! My cat loves it! 😉

July 25, 2016 at 5:32 am (9 months ago)

Thank you for sharing your recipe, Jenna. It may not be a good choice for all cats, since many can’t tolerate or digest dairy products.

• Vonda
        July 25, 2016 at 12:10 pm (9 months ago)

My two cats are extremely finicky! The dairy products make me nervous too especially since Marley just had a major intestinal issue. I ordered the probiotics and enzymes and someone told me there are little pills/treats you can put medicine in …. so if they don’t go for the probiotics and enzymes, I guess I will resort to that.

July 25, 2016 at 12:39 pm (9 months ago)

The probiotics I recommend are a flavorless powder and even the most finicky cats shouldn’t be able to detect it, Vonda.

• Vonda
            July 25, 2016 at 12:53 pm (9 months ago)

The Dr. Goodpet? Excellent because I got the enzymes and the probiotics coming! Yay they can’t taste them! These two are horrible! They don’t even eat chicken!

July 25, 2016 at 1:02 pm (9 months ago)

Yes, the Dr. Goodpet product.

• Vonda
            July 25, 2016 at 1:03 pm (9 months ago)

Great and thank you!!

• Sandy
      September 5, 2016 at 10:36 am (8 months ago)

Just cam across your blog and wanted to share a tidbit of knowledge. Yogurt and cottage cheese contain the bacterial Lactobacillus Bulgaricus and Streptococcus Thermophilus. Once the yogurt or cottage cheese is eaten, these bacterias that are in it digest the lactose. Thus yogurt and cottage cheese are very beneficial to your cat! A few teaspoons on plain yogurt licked a day are great! The only issue would be if your cat has highly severe allergies.

3. Vonda
    July 20, 2016 at 2:50 pm (9 months ago)

My cat Marley had a disgusting mass removed about 2 months ago. His vet said and 29 years she has never seen anything like it. It was at his small and large intestine, attached to his pancreas and whatever their appendix is called ( starts with an H I believe). He’s two and a half and Lymphoma was ruled out due to a biopsy and we’re thinking it is intestinal feline peritonitis. The screening for this is not good so it’s hard to diagnose. I ordered the enzymes you are speaking of above and also ordered a probiotic as he seems a little lethargic and is hanging out in the basement again – some of the symptoms that prompted me to take him to the vet. He eats only Nutrisource and Feline holistic select for food. And don’t laugh but I am a wellness advocate for doTerra essential oils…. I diffuse frankincense and Helichrysum for him and my other kitty. One of their products is called Serenity and it is like lavender on steroids! After diffusing that for a couple of days, I noticed my cats playing together with no screaming… LOL! Animals don’t lie and this hugely calmed them down.

With all the above I am doing for him, can you think of anything that would be beneficial for him? I love him dearly and want him to enjoy life.

July 20, 2016 at 4:22 pm (9 months ago)

I hope it’s not FIP, Vonda. It sounds like you’re already doing everything you can to boost Marley’s immune system.

I’m not an advocate of essential oils for cats. I realize it’s a controversial topic, and I’m sure that you know more about it than I do, and I’m glad it’s working for you.

All my best to both of you!

• Vonda
        July 21, 2016 at 11:21 am (9 months ago)

Thank you for getting back! I hope it’s not FIP either. Not sure what direction to go but I will be taking him back to the Vet to see if his white blood cells are elevated.

I have not put any oils on him because I’m nervous. They do say stay away from all the citrus because of high Phenols and Ketones overwhelm their liver. I have only been diffusing some for support of his immune system like Frankincense and Helichrysum…. do you think that’s okay? I only do it a couple of hours and a shorter time if either one of them are sleeping in that room it’s being diffused.

Other than decent food, which I mentioned before and hope it’s decent – LOL, and adding enzymes and probiotics that I ordered, can you think of anything else I can do? I just love the little guy…. My last cat had to be put down at q year of age due to saddlebag thrombosis. Broke my heart and this situation is killing me!

4. Becky
    June 28, 2016 at 2:18 pm (10 months ago)

Have been giving Dr Goodpet to my cats somewhat off and on for a couple of years. One cat occasionally acts like she’s constipated and something bothers her “back there”. She did this last night, I mixed in the supplement with her food and she’s back to normal today so I’m a believer! Vitacost carries it as well.

5. Lisa
    May 31, 2016 at 6:35 pm (11 months ago)

Hello. I adopted a 8 month old male cat a little over a month ago from a rescue organization. Although he was checked out by their vet and given a clean bill of health, he’s had loose bowels and flatulence since we got him. I’ve switched him to Limited Ingredient Diet food from Natural Balance as well as their soft food. Also started to add Well & Good Stool Deodorizer soft chews to that brand wet food. Things have improved slightly but there are still issues. Would you recommend Dr Goodpet Probiotics w/prebiotics or Dr Goodpet Feline Digestive Enzymes? I’m confused about which would be better given his digestive issues. (Worth noting that they did worm him while he was being fostered.) Thanks in advance for any input you can provide.

June 1, 2016 at 6:20 am (11 months ago)

I would use the Feline Digestive Enzymes, Lisa. You may also want to consider eliminating the dry food.

• Lisa
        June 1, 2016 at 11:31 am (11 months ago)

Thank you, Ingrid! I’m ordering this today.

6. Victoria Majluf
    April 19, 2016 at 8:16 pm (1 year ago)

Hi.

My cat, Callie, suffers from Triaditis and pancreatitis (fortunately, her last test came out negative). She takes several meds and, since I live in Peru, I can’t readily get probiotics here. Fortunately, my parents are going on vacation,so they’ll be able to purchase some for Callie. I checked Amazon and came across Pet Ultimates Probiotics for Cats and was wondering how it stacks up against Mercola and Dr. Goodpet’s Feline Digestive Enzymes. T

April 20, 2016 at 5:29 am (1 year ago)

As far as ingredients go, Pet Ultimate looks good, Victoria. I’m not familiar with the brand.

7. Beth P.
    March 28, 2016 at 10:18 am (1 year ago)

Hi there! I have two four-month old kittens. They came via a foster from a shelter, and while I’ve had them they’ve been treated for coccidia and tapeworms. They have robust appetites and love to play, but they *still* are experiencing diarrhea/loose stools. I’m feeding them Weruva cat food and just ordered the Dr. Goodpets. How much of the probiotic would you give to kittens? (one’s a little over 4 lbs., the other is almost 5).

March 28, 2016 at 12:02 pm (1 year ago)

I would give 1/8 teaspoon twice a day, Beth. Simply mix with their food.

• Beth P.
        March 28, 2016 at 1:29 pm (1 year ago)

Thank you, Ingrid!

• Jane
        April 2, 2016 at 8:58 am (1 year ago)

Hello Beth
        As I am inEngland I am not au fair with the various USA pet foods, but note that a comment showed you may be feeding dog food? This is something which can cause major health problems which my daughter can verify, having adopted a cat from a rescue shelter who was almost blind due to being fed a diet of dog food. The food simply has not the correct vitamins and minerals which either a growing kitten or adult cat needs.
        On the matter of your little ones still having runny stools, may I suggest that you seriously consider giving them finely chopped very lean fresh raw meat? If they eat this and you hide probiotic inside, you will most probably find their toilet problems clear up like magic. I make a small slit in a stir fry slice piece, sprinkle in the probiotic, close up the ‘cut’ then chop the meat and serve. If your kittens take to it, the you can vary the diet with chopped heart, rabbit,game etc and only feed an egg sized portion at a time as they are so young, I would feed them 4 X times a day if possible so that the food is properly digested but the probiotic only once. For me first feed is best for the probiotic as they are hungry from the overnight ‘fast’ and quickly devour their breakfast, which allows meds to be given with little or no fuss! The dried food I would ration as treats and then only grain free as this has a higher proportion of meat necessary for the feline diet.
        The fresh meat or cooked fish ( no bones of course!) is actually cheaper than commercial special diet and far superior in every way. Here in England I buy economy frozen white fillets and microwave in a covered dish 10mins from frozen – wonderfully steamed fish with a concentrated liqueur which they love to lap up when cooled. My cats rush in like football players when they hear the microwave ‘ting’ !
        If I can help in any way just let me know. Hugo is the second rescue we have here who was supposed to have such dreadful gut/bowel problems they looked at euthanasia. Simple change of diet and we have a chunky Rupert (glorious red British Shorthair who was bald, emancipated and within hours of death because of flea anemia) who causes guests to gasp at his glorious coat and general handsomeness. It can be done with little cost but just less conventional ways than heavy drugs and commercial sludge foods.
        Kindest regards
        Jane

• Jane
          April 2, 2016 at 8:59 am (1 year ago)

Should be Au Fait ! But dreaded proscriptive text leads to some howlers.
          Sorry about this.
          Jane x

• Jane
          April 2, 2016 at 9:03 am (1 year ago)

Emaciated NOT emancipated. Just did it twice again little devil in this iPad……

April 2, 2016 at 3:48 pm (1 year ago)

That’s good advice, Jane – raw food can clear up intestinal issues for some cats. And you don’t necessarily have to make your own, although that’s certainly a great, and often more economical option. There are plenty of very good commercial raw diets available here in the US. The transformation in raw fed cats can be quite amazing.

And while I don’t recommend fish except as an occasional treat, your particular fish treat does sounds wonderful!

• Jane
      March 28, 2016 at 1:33 pm (1 year ago)

Hello Beth
      I recently adopted a desparately ill 8 months old ‘kitten’ who had been returned to the rescue centre as he was losing weight dramatically, not eating and passing watery very bloody stools. The sanctuary took him to their vet (at this point he was around 2lbs in weight) who proceeded to test his bloods for every illness known and also administer mega doses of steroids,antibiotics, appetite stimulators etc. They also wormed him drastically as his early history had been an orphaned kitten on a filthy dairy farm. Even after this onslaught he was stil slipping away. He was expected to slip away within48 hours so I persuaded the sanctuary to let me try my raw food diet. They were very reluctant to say the least, but finally agreed with rolling eyes( we are a major donor so they humoured me!) to try it my way. I cut fat free steak into tiny tiny pieces and gave one of the staff a box with around 3 days’ supply. They drove to me to collect and tightly said thank you whilst I explained how to offer this to him. 20 mins. Later I received a breathless call to say the little one had been offered the steak, literally fallen on it growling and gulped in down till he almost choked. They also unwisely then fed him the whole 3 days rations at once. I then started to visit him every day taking fresh raw meat and from almost the first day the Diarrhea STOPPED. He had a few relapses when volunteers were lazy and fed him the usual mush as it was obvious to me he had IBD of sorts. His gums were red raw but this did not stop him eating the new food.
      We adopted Hugo 9 weeks ago and he was 2lb 3oz. I immediately started him on a probiotic hidden in the first meal(open capsule and cover powder with meaty whatever) and he had normal stools within10 days but the pain of the Diarrhea stopped immediately together with the nausea and we have not looked back. Hugo was just over 6lbs 3 weeks ago and has a very healthy appetite. He is also growing fast as I did not mention he was as small as a 14 week kitten when I first saw him. Lively as a box of frogs he plays with the other cats and is, like them, on a grain free diet for life.
      Do look at the content on your kitten food Beth? You may find it only has around 4% protein and the rest as wheat/rice/corn etc and for some reason best known to commercial pet food manufacturers, lots of sugar.
      If you switch your kittens to a natural diet which includes a good probiotic ( in my case FORTIFLORA is always NO,NO,NO) you will find your little ones revert to normal toilet function, food then stays long enough to aid growth and you will be thrilled at what such a simple change can do.
      The foods hawked by veterinary practices are on the whole appalling and full of by products and grain. Cheap for manufacturers but deadly for growing or sick animals.
      Do feel free to let me know if Ican help in any way Beth as whilst I am here in England Ingrid’s site gives several superb probiotics readily available on your side of the big pond.
      Kind regards
      Jane

March 28, 2016 at 3:51 pm (1 year ago)

What a remarkable story, Jane – and I agree with you that Fortiflora is a huge big NO.

• Beth P.
        April 1, 2016 at 4:40 pm (1 year ago)

Hi Jane and Ingrid!

Jane–I’m so glad your kitten made such a stunning turnaround! He’s lucky to have you! Here’s the story with mine:

My kittens (boy: Alfie; girl: Beatrice) are about 3.5 months old and I’ve had them for seven weeks. They came to me via a foster (they were originally in an animal shelter) and were spay/neutered and wormed before I received them. They have had diarrhea in varying degrees of severity the entire time I’ve had them, but they’ve never acted like they felt bad and they eat well and play hard. The severe diarrhea (but no blood) began after I’d had them for two weeks. I took them in and they tested positive for coccidia. That cleared up but on the follow-up visit Beatrice tested positive for tapeworms. On their most recent follow-up, the stool sample was clear but they still have diarrhea/very loose stools, which the vet said should be gone by now. They’ve been given ponazuril (for coccidia), Profender—twice each(tapeworms), and now they’re on Ponacur for five days. I started giving them the Dr. Goodpets two days ago but have not seen changes yet, but they’re also on new meds.

I feed them Weruva chicken wet food twice daily and they get into their new elderly sister’s Farmina grain-free dry food (big sis won’t eat wet food), so I’m at a loss for what to do next. I don’t know if they have a parasite still that the tests are not picking up or if their systems are out of wack from all the chemical treatments.

Any suggestions are welcome!

April 1, 2016 at 5:14 pm (1 year ago)

It will probably take some time to restore healthy guts for both of them after the assault of the coocidia, tapeworms, and the medications. I’d give the probiotics more time to work. Also, try to keep them away from the dog food. The carbs in the dry food may not help the situation.

• Beth P.
          April 6, 2016 at 4:13 pm (1 year ago)

Jane and Ingrid,

Thank you for the responses! I apologize for my delay in responding–I forgot to tick the box to notify me of followups and hadn’t checked back.

The kittens are not getting dog food. I have a 16 year old cat who is incredibly finicky and only eats dry food (although it’s very high quality grain-free food), and the kittens do get into her food. (She has a self-feeder because she’s never submitted to scheduled feedings, so her food is always available.) The kittens just finished their five-day treatment of Panacur and they’ve now been on Dr. Goodpets for about a week. I’ve noticed their poop is getting darker (it was pretty light before) and it was beginning to get slightly firmer a couple of days ago but I just scooped a very “pudding consistency” pile a few minutes ago.

I was going to try to give it a week or two following the medicine but still using the Dr. Goodpets to see if things improved. But I suppose I could try raw food. I’m a vegetarian so I never buy meat–what should I ask for?

I’m hopeful that things are improving because I’m seeing very few drops of poop here and there like they had been happening for well over a month.

The thing that stumps me throughout all of this is that the kittens never have acted sick and the boy kitten in particular is growing like a weed. I would really like to clear this up!

April 7, 2016 at 5:23 am (1 year ago)

If you’re going to try raw, I would go with a commercial raw frozen diet, Beth. They’re already balanced, and as a vegetarian myself, I find them much easier to handle than having to actually do something other than thaw and serve! You can find the brands I recommend here: http://consciouscat.net/2012/03/22/the-best-food-for-your-cat/

8. Jane Sexton
    March 8, 2016 at 7:22 am (1 year ago)

I adopted a tiny very underweight 9 month old cat recently. He was 1.3kilos, gaunt and refusing to eat as everything the rescue centre gave him came through as blood and mucus. I suggested finely chopped raw meat which horrified them but as they expected him to die within 48 hours they humoured me. He had been brought back from rehoming due to the vomiting and bloody Diarrhea and the vet stuffed him full of steroids, antibiotics, parasite treatment having done various blood samples. Within seconds, yes seconds, of their offering this sad little scrap ( looked like 4 months old) some tiny pieces of my raw steak, he shocked the feeder by growling and gulping it down. Of course he had been starving and they in turn stunned me by saying he had been given 2 days rations at that one first feed! We brought him home here with my others and despite dire warnings of poo being deposited everywhere in the house as he had no control of his bowel, we have never had a single accident from Hugo. He had chronic IBD and is fed various raw meat and cooked fish but the one thing which is vital is his probiotic every morning. With this, a capful opened and hidden in his first morning meal he has trembled his weight in 7 weeks (!) is growing – against all veterinary gloom and doom – and like a box of frogs leaping around here and there. The probiotics I shall give him for the rest of his life as this makes his stools firm and formed, hence the nutrition now helping him gain weight and mature. I also read a very interesting paper from a feline researcher at Bristol University and she and other researchers worldwide have noted that IBD animals have little or no Vitiamin D3. I am a great believer in this for humans so Hugo now has a baby dose each day and has had no medications since we adopted him. One thing which made me cross was that the vet who took his numerous blood samples, innoculated him and then neutered him on the same day. This was an animal, grossly underweight and undersized, with obvious serious internal gut problems and inflamed gums through to anus, yet someone thought it appropriate to mess about with his hormones. My own vet just raised an eyebrow and naturally said nothing ! The probiotics I can only recommend to the world as being wonderful, but they must be the best. There is also research showing probiotics’ role in weight loss and my two chunky tabbies are now trialling this as they have grain free fresh food but both are still large girls.

March 8, 2016 at 8:31 am (1 year ago)

Thank you for sharing your experience with Hugo, Jane – that’s wonderful! I, too, am shaking my head at the vet who vaccinated and neutered him on the same day, despite all his health issues. I don’t think the hormone issues is as significant as the fact that the vaccines and the anesthesia added stress to an already severely compromised immune system.

• Jane
        March 8, 2016 at 10:12 am (1 year ago)

Hello Ingrid
        Thank you so much for taking time to reassure me that I am not Mad Megan the Cat Lady…… Hugo has just had his lunch of chopped heart and after a serious tag session with another furry is flopped on the top shelf of the cat tree. The other thing I noticed about a week after my ‘holistic’ treatment started, was his sleeping so soundly that he did not move when the Dysoned was near him. My suspicion is that his pain and discomfort from the IBD was such that he just dozed and now he is able for the first time in how long, to sleep. I too had serious bouts of IBS which left me bed bound usually for several days, since my conversion to probiotics things have calmed down and I just have the occasional twinge. This is why I was certain I could help Hugo.
        I have never ever contributed to any blog before so it was delightful to know that I ( and Hugo the Great) am with like minded pet lovers.
        Jane x

9. Lynda
    February 25, 2016 at 11:53 pm (1 year ago)

my cat does not each much wet or dry food, picky eater.
    Can I crush up 1/4 of my Natures Best probiotic pill mix with some water
    and using an eye dropper send it down her throat? she is a semi tame still semi wild “shelter” cat after 13 yrs in my house she is still afraid of everyone, and thus only eats tiny amounts after seeing one of the other cats eat. So she pees a lot and only poops small amount of hard stuff, occasionally throws up food with hairballs. She needs something to fix her digestion. Vet did lab tests, says she is not lacking -wants to do tests that are expensive and for her would be traumatic. She is sweet, scared and not very active but a loveable cat she does not seem hurting, distressed or anything abnormal, I would just like to make her more comfortable if possible.

February 26, 2016 at 5:40 am (1 year ago)

You can give probiotics via syringe mixed with water, but I’d be very careful with that. You don’t want her to associate you with doing something to her that she doesn’t like, especially given her history and personality. I would try mixing with something that she really likes – maybe some tuna juice, clam juice,baby food, or cream cheese and see if she’ll lick it up that way before resorting to using a syringe.

10. Gloria
    February 17, 2016 at 3:55 pm (1 year ago)

My kitty slightly over weight,(17lbs) she suffers from constipation, I’m working w the vet to control it w her diet, she’s not a very active cat no matter how much I try, do you think probiotics will help her? I’m desperate to see her get better. She’s also only about 6 yr old.

February 17, 2016 at 3:56 pm (1 year ago)

I would definitely use probiotics, Gloria. You may also want to consider adding canned pumpkin to her food.

11. Sally
    September 15, 2015 at 10:41 am (2 years ago)

We have been our 3 cats Mercola’s Probiotics for Pets for over a year now. It sounds like they need some digestive enzymes though. However it looks like Dr. Goodpet’s Feline Digestive Enzymes only has one strain of probiotics compared to Mercola’s which has over 14 strains of probiotics. Should I just switch, or give them one product with their morning meal and one product with their evening meal? One of our cats has Feline Leukemia, so I really want what is best for HIS health.

Thanks so much for your help!

September 15, 2015 at 5:20 pm (2 years ago)

You could use both products, Sally – one in the morning, one in the evening. See how your cats do with it, and you can always adjust.

12. Jane
    July 16, 2015 at 7:44 pm (2 years ago)

Is it ok to give cats human probiotic supplements? I use Nature’s Life milk-free acidophilus.

July 17, 2015 at 6:08 am (2 years ago)

As long as the human probiotic contains strictly probiotic cultures and no other additives, it’s usually okay to give to cats. Some probiotics have other supplements added in, so make sure you read the label.

13. Susan
    April 20, 2015 at 10:46 pm (2 years ago)

any thoughts, good or bad on the Purina FortiFlora?

April 21, 2015 at 6:12 am (2 years ago)

I’m not a fan. Fortiflora is not a pure probiotic. In addition to several vitamins and minerals, animal digest is the first ingredient listed (which is why it works so well as a flavor enhancer).

14. Allie
    March 22, 2015 at 10:43 am (2 years ago)

I called my local pet stores to see if they carried Dr. Goodpet digestive enzymes that you recommended but unfortunately they don’t (I just prefer to get products in stores if I can rather than online) – She recommended – Wholistic Pet Organics Digest-All Plus on the phone, which she said was a good product that has prebiotics and probiotics – that is what you said you look for? I found it on amazon as well

I’ve never given any of my cat’s probiotics but after reading your blog thoroughly, I am going to start immediately! =) Never thought to give my this supplement for some reason. I’m new to this so I don’t know if these ingredients are just as good as Dr. Goodpet. I believe they both have relatively the same ingredients if I was reading correctly.

Thanks!

March 22, 2015 at 2:56 pm (2 years ago)

I’m not familiar with this particular product, but at first glance, it looks good, Allie.

15. sepo
    February 17, 2015 at 3:03 am (2 years ago)

Do you recommend probiotics for cats on a raw diet ?

February 17, 2015 at 7:05 am (2 years ago)

Yes, I do.

16. Fur Everywhere
    August 8, 2014 at 7:04 am (3 years ago)

I have a cat with suspected IBD (everything else was ruled out). I asked my vet about probiotics and she seemed really indifferent about them and told me they wouldn’t really benefit my cat. On the other hand, I have a friend who is also a vet who constantly promotes the benefits of probiotics for cats.

Would probiotics possibly help my kitty? He also has FLUTD and eats a prescription diet for that. He is beginning to lose weight once again, and my vet is suggesting more frequent B12 injections. Trips to the vet are very stressful for him, and I don’t want to put him through more trips than are necessary for his well-being. If there’s a chance the probiotics would help him, I’d love to know so I can try them to see if they’re beneficial.

17. Kitty Cat Chronicles
    August 5, 2014 at 10:28 am (3 years ago)

Very informative! I’ve never thought of giving my cats probiotics before. I will look into this, although they do eat a raw meat diet. I am always eager to find new ways to keep my kitties as healthy as possible!

18. Sometimes Cats Herd You
    August 4, 2014 at 9:37 pm (3 years ago)

This is good information. Probiotics are good for humans and felines, and it seems like most people haven’t realized either one until recently.

19. Jennifer
    August 4, 2014 at 1:34 pm (3 years ago)

I recently purchased the supplement you recommend here(Dr Goodpet’s). Can you offer any suggestions in terms of dosage? Im currently feeding approx 3 oz wet food twice daily to healthy adult cats. Not sure if I should add the supplement to both feedings or just use once daily and if so, how much to use per feeding.

August 4, 2014 at 2:51 pm (3 years ago)

I would add 1/8 of a teaspoon to each meal, Jennifer.

August 4, 2014 at 11:43 am (3 years ago)

Thank you Ingrid. I am always on the look out for something to help my kitties stay healthy.