Weruva: High Quality Meat with Moisture

Weruva_cat_food_review

Water is critical to keeping your cat healthy. Cats as a species don’t have a high thirst drive. While cats who eat only dry food will generally drink more water than cats who are fed a grain-free canned or raw diet, they still don’t get enough moisture to support all their bodily functions and essentially live in a constant state of low level dehydration, which can lead to bladder and kidney problems. ( For more on why dry food is not a good choice for cats, please read The Truth About Dry Cat Food.)

The easiest way to ensure that your cats get enough water is to feed a diet that’s high in moisture, and few diets have as high a moisture content (80%) as Weruva. It is important to note that Weruva does not add excess water. Their formulas are naturally high in moisture because they remove the dry bone from the meat cuts. They do  not add in any fillers, and the use fleshy cuts of meat, which are higher in moisture.

I’ve previously reviewed Weruva’s diets, and they are on the small list of recommended brands on this site. The foods on this list are foods I either currently feed to Allegra and Ruby, or have fed to them in the past. This list is not meant to be exclusive, and it does not mean that there aren’t other really good diets out there. It means that these brands are the ones I’m comfortable with after doing thorough research. Brands can’t pay to get on this list – you’ll only see brands that I trust on the list.*

Quality ingredients

All of Weruva’s formulas are produced in a human food facility using many of the ingredients and processes that are used in products made for people – and, as you can see from the picture above, the food looks good enough to eat for humans. The first time I opened a can of the Paw Lickin’ Chicken formula pictured above, I had a flashback to my mom’s chicken fricassee – it looked just like this! Their base proteins of chicken, beef and fish include only top quality muscle meat, such as white breast chicken, whole tuna loins and select cuts of beef.

A good choice for cats with urinary tract problems

Because of the high moisture content and the quality protein, Weruva diets can be a great choice for cats with urinary tract problems, including kidney disease. There is some controversy regarding protein restriction for cats with kidney disease, and there is no conclusive evidence that it prevents further damage to the kidneys. Additionally, most of the so-called prescription kidney diets contain inferior ingredients, and are not very palatable. Many veterinarians now don’t recommend protein restricted diets until the very final stages of kidney failure.

Cats with kidney problems should, however, be fed a diet that is low in phosphorus. Weruva keeps phosphorus levels low by removing most of the bone from their formulas (bones are comprised of calcium and phosphorus.)

Weriva_TruLuxe

Why I like Weruva for Allegra and Ruby

Weruva’s formulas are a staple of Allegra and Ruby’s diet. (Please note that I only feed the poultry varieties. A large number of Weruva’s formulas contain fish, and while I approve of their fish sourcing, I still don’t recommend feeding fish-based formulas except as an occasional treat.) I feed primarily the basic Weruva formulas, as well as The Cats in the Kitchen and TruLuxe lines. The basic formula is a great choice for budget conscious cat guardians, the other two lines are a bit more pricey, but as with any premium food, what you will spend in higher food expenses you will more than likely save in veterinary care costs.

The proof is in the litter box

Allegra and Ruby love all of the formulas. I like knowing that I’m feeding a food high in quality protein and moisture. And the proof is in the litter box: I always see far more urine output in the litter box following a Weruva meal than I do when I feed other brands. I also see considerably smaller stools after feeding Weruva, which is a sign that more of the nutrients in the food are being absorbed.

weruva_review

For more information about Weruva, please visit http://www.Weruva.com.

*This post is sponsored by Weruva on behalf of the BlogPaws Blogger Network, which means that I was paid to feature this content. I also received some free products from Wervua. Weruva did not pay me to be featured on my list of recommended brands. Weruva is not responsible for the content of this article.

27 Comments on Weruva: High Quality Meat with Moisture

1. Kathy
    March 19, 2017 at 6:41 am (7 months ago)

These recommendations and comments are so encouraging, especially Julie’s Yanaa, even though it’s been approximately 3 years ago. I too, thought I was being a good cat mom by feeding the dry high-end food. Our girl was diagnosed one week ago with kidney failure. We had no idea until she went in for a tooth cleaning and the blood work showed moderately high kidney enzymes, so no cleaning performed. We are grateful for all the support found online–our vet sent us home with the sad news along with an IV bag and samples of ‘renal diet foods’….not enough is how we feel. Heading to the store tomorrow to try out the Weruva, feel good about it.

• Julie Johnson
        March 19, 2017 at 9:25 pm (7 months ago)

I’m so glad our story has helped someone. Yanaa lived a happy, contented life until October 10, 2017. When I came home, she was “off” and passed quietly in her sleep. To think I almost put her to sleep 20 months earlier! I can’t thank Conscious Cat enough. I have 3 thre year old cats now and they all eat Weruva (aka Soulistic).

• Julie Johnson
          March 19, 2017 at 9:30 pm (7 months ago)

Also, best of luck to you, Kathy with your baby. I did IV fluids on Yanaa initially, but over time, she didn’t need it. I also found that using Fortiflora on the wet food helped keep her interested in food…during that initial phase of care, I even fed her Boar’s Head Oven Gold Turkey by hand. I did anything I could think of to keep her eating. In our case, it worked. Prayers for your struggle.

• Kathy
            March 24, 2017 at 2:15 am (7 months ago)

Thank you, Julie. Yanaa inspires me daily and Lucy girl and I thank you for the suggestions and prayers. Your caring words give me comfort.

2. Vet Changes World
    June 21, 2014 at 12:10 am (3 years ago)

As a vet I have liked the initial things I hear about Weruva and the nutrient analysis, but when I have tried to ask questions of the company, I’ve gotten no response for months. I have even reached out to them through a local pet store. Still I don’t get any information back from them.

Definitely makes me frustrated as a vet when I want to recommend such high quality pet foods and they won’t answer the questions that help me make strong recommendations to my patients. Simple questions like “what experience or qualifications does the person who formulates your pet food have?”. Also makes me concerned how responsive they would be to a pet’s veterinarian if there was any suspected problem with the food.

I’m ready and set to recommend this food more commonly, just a little wary about the company’s lack of transparency.

June 21, 2014 at 5:56 am (3 years ago)

That’s odd – I’ve always gotten immediate responses from Weruva to any questions I’ve had about the diets.

• Lola
      June 22, 2014 at 4:42 pm (3 years ago)

I’ve contacted them via their website, email, and Facebook. The longest I have ever waited, for a response, is a few days.
      Kudos to you for being interested and willing to recommend wet food!

• Vet Changes World
      June 22, 2014 at 10:13 pm (3 years ago)

Well always worth trying again! I haven’t tried facebook yet, maybe that would work better. Thanks for the advice!

• Bverley
        February 8, 2017 at 11:00 am (8 months ago)

Vet Changes World,
        You’ve raised the most important questions. I like to know if you do eventually get your questions answered as I have just switched my cats from Hills Science diet to this Weruva “all natural” wet food diet based on reviews a statements made by this company. I would appreciate it if you would please keep us posted on any progress in your communications with them. Much appreciated… Transparency is needed..

3. The Island Cats
    June 19, 2014 at 5:02 pm (3 years ago)

We love the Cats in the Kitchen line!

4. Tulsi G
    June 19, 2014 at 1:43 pm (3 years ago)

I actually think it was because of this website that I decided to give Weruva a try. I’m really glad I did. For the past few months, I have been ordering it online at a better price than local retail from a place with EXCELLENT customer support (I don’t know if I can mention the site here. That would be up to Ingrid. I have no connection to it other than being a loyal, faithful, consistent (auto-ship) customer, but mentioning it without permission seems inappropriate. However, I’m willing to share if it’s ok. 🙂 My cats LOVE Weruva’s Cats in the Kitchen Chicken Frick ‘A Zee and in close second place (3/4 love it) is Cats in the Kitchen Fowl Ball. It really looks like the picture posted, and I was surprised at how good it looks and smells. (For breakfast, I mix in 1 pkg of Stella & Chewy’s Chick Chick Chicken dinner (rehydrated) + one packet of Fortiflora (a probiotic that seems to have worked wonders!!!) and then divide the yummy goodness into four bowls. The Stella & Chewy’s isn’t necessary, but I was considering switching to a raw diet. Now, I just do it because they like it, and I like S&C.) This Weruva food, as you can see from the photo, is moisture-laden. I think the Chicken Frick ‘A Zee has smaller pieces of chicken, but it’s still the same idea.
    Oh, one thing I wanted to mention was that I recently tried Weruva’s new Truluxe brand. It is definitely more expensive than the basic formula, but it looks the same. I compared the ingredients of two types side by side, and this is what I found: Fowl ball has the following which TruLuxe Quick ‘N Quirky with Chicken & Turkey does not: Locust Bean Gum and Fish Oil. My own Google search of locust bean gum did not bring up anything harmful. What Q&Q had that Fowl ball did not were: Tricalcium Phosphate and Calcium Lactate. These seem to be calcium supplements. Again, I’m not a scientist. These results were also a Google search at WebMD and LiveStrong. No vet sites. The next to last difference is that TruLuxe mentions Chicken (Boneless, Skinless breast) but Fowl Ball just simply reads “Chicken”. The last difference is that while both formulas share common ingredients, where they are on the list may be different implying different amounts. And NO carrageenan in either formula! Yes!
    Unless I can be convinced otherwise that TruLuxe is truly worth the extra $, I will stick with Cats in the Kitchen. My cats and I are very satisfied with this brand. Thanks, Ingrid!

June 19, 2014 at 2:10 pm (3 years ago)

I’ve come to the same conclusion as you, Tulsi: the difference between regular Weruva and TruLuxe is not significant enough to make it all but a very occasional treat. My girls do like the Peking Ducken, so they will get that every once in a while.:-)

• Tulsi G
        June 19, 2014 at 2:17 pm (3 years ago)

Thanks for the tip, Ingrid! My cats like Stella & Chewy’s Duck Duck Goose so maybe they would like Weruva’s Peking Ducken. I will look for a can of it to try this weekend.

June 20, 2014 at 6:36 am (3 years ago)

And I forgot to reply to your question of whether it’s okay to share the link to your online source – it absolutely is, especially if it’ll help other readers save money, too!

• Tulsi G
        June 20, 2014 at 2:32 pm (3 years ago)

Thanks, Ingrid! The company is called Chewy.com and can be found here:

http://www.chewy.com. I found their prices to be very competitive, and shipping is free for a merchandise total of over $49. Shipping is free regardless of weight! (I order 40 lbs of cat litter at a time from them, and there is no extra cost). They have premium wet and dry foods for DOGS AND CATS (no other pets at this time), toys, condos, bedding, flea and tick supplies, grooming supplies, health & wellness supplies, bowls, treats and toys…ok, etc. 🙂 I love, love, LOVE their customer support, and you can also “Chat” online with them rather than call (I loathe talking on the phone…or being placed on hold). They are very responsive, customer-focused, and seem to really enjoy our pets. I’ve been ordering from them every two weeks since the end of December 2013, and I’m still really satisfied. I hope it works for you! Enjoy!

5. Ronnie
    June 19, 2014 at 9:38 am (3 years ago)

My kitty will not eat the Weruva chicken but licks up the liquid. However, this was when I first got her from a rescue. She would only eat dry food. Now, 2 years later, she readily eats the wet food. And she does love her fresh water.
    Maybe with the Weruva chicken, some cats need it to be chopped up.

6. Cathy O'Connell
    June 19, 2014 at 9:22 am (3 years ago)

Ingrid – how do you feel about gravy and sauces? I’ve read elsewhere that you should only feed pate. I have a very picky eater and she won’t go near pate!

June 19, 2014 at 6:22 pm (3 years ago)

I don’t have a problem with gravy and sauces as long as the company doesn’t use carrageenan as a binder.

7. Sometimes, Cats Herd You
    June 19, 2014 at 8:29 am (3 years ago)

We are Weruva eaters, too, especially Ashton, who finally kicked the kibble habit when no other canned food was appealing enough to get her to make the transition. We don’t drink from the water bowl at all any more, and it really shows how much moisture our diet was lacking that we don’t feel the urge to drink now when we’re eating quality canned food.

Also, for Julie Johnson, Weruva makes Soulistic as a private label product exclusively for Petco. We eat that, too!

8. Julie Johnson
    June 19, 2014 at 6:51 am (3 years ago)

I feed my girls Soulistic, which was on your list of recommended foods, and similar to Weruva. I, too, find they drink all the liquid first. However, I just take a small amount of warm water and mix it into the leftovers. I also try to break down the meat into very small pieces at this point, and they do seem to consume more of the solids.

My elder girl, Yanaa, was in kidney failure and scheduled to be euthanized twice. I can’t explain her turn around, but I did change her food (thanks to Conscious Cat) and she’s rebounded quite nicely! I feel sad that I fed her a Science Diet thinking I was being a good cat mom. Thank you for your work and research. I feel so much more informed.

• Tulsi G
      June 19, 2014 at 1:48 pm (3 years ago)

Hi Julie! I can’t speak for anyone else, but I was led to believe that some of the prescription diets were good for my cats, too. But then I read the ingredients. I prefer the idea of limited, wholesome ingredients. I’m glad you’ve seen a turnaround in your Yanaa (cool name). I hope she lives a much longer, healthy, happy life.

9. Sparkle
    June 19, 2014 at 3:46 am (3 years ago)

I enjoy the Weruva chicken flavors… except I tend to drink the soupy part and not eat much of the actual meat!

10. Rachel Woodisse
    June 19, 2014 at 3:34 am (3 years ago)

Really interesting article Ingrid thank you. My cat suffers from cystitis and he is on c/d wet and dry, but this looks a much better option for him, I wonder if it’s available in the UK? He has a water fountain but is nervous of it 🙂

June 19, 2014 at 6:22 am (3 years ago)

I’m not sure whether it’s available in the UK, Rachel. If you find it, will you let me know?

• Rachel
        June 19, 2014 at 7:21 am (3 years ago)

Hi Ingrid I have sent Weruva a message on facebook, as it looks like its not reached our shores yet.

June 19, 2014 at 6:21 pm (3 years ago)

Thanks for letting me know, Rachel.