Conscious Cat

December 28, 2013 31 Comments

Happiness Is The Cat’s Meow

Posted by Ingrid

IMG_6472_edited

How many of you bought Christmas presents for your cats, only to have them turn up their little noses at them, or play with them once or twice, and then ignore them? I’ve done this more than I care to admit. I don’t even know why I even buy Allegra and Ruby toys. Our cat playroom (known in most homes as the family room) is already filled with more cat products than your average pet store! But there’s just something about Christmas that makes me want to get them something special, wrap it for them, unwrap it with them, and, each year, hope that this time, it’s going to be something they’re really going to like.

Well, it finally happened. I hit the jackpot with the Cat’s Meow toy. Whoever designed this toy definitely understands cats. This clever toy features a “mouse” on the end of a wand that is attached to a motor and covered by a yellow round cloth. The mouse goes around in a circle, with only the “tail” peeking out from under the fabric. The motor randomly changes speed and direction, and won’t stop even when the cat pounces and “catches” the mouse.

cats-meow-cat-toy

The girls absolutely love this toy. When I first set it out, Ruby started to play with it immediately. Allegra, being the more cautious of the two, watched from a slight distance. It took her about 15 minutes before she started to bat at the moving mouse, but once she got the hang of it, she had a blast. The girls played together with the toy for over an hour on Christmas Eve, and probably would have kept playing all night if I had left the toy out. When I brought it back out Christmas morning, they went right back to it, and have done so every time I’ve brought it out since.

The toy seems to be reasonably well made. Time will tell how long it lasts. It uses three C batteries, and at the rate the girls are using it, it will probably go through a lot of batteries, but to me, that’s a small price to pay for the happiness this toy is bringing them, and me. Watching them have fun with this toy was my best Christmas present this year.

Enjoy watching the girls play with their new toy!

The Cat’s Meow is available from Amazon and other retailers. It does not come with batteries, so make sure you have C batteries at the ready.

Mews and Nips will return next Saturday.

FacebookTwitterGoogle+LinkedInPinterestShare

31 comments to “Happiness Is The Cat’s Meow”

1. James says:

Boomer also got one of these for Christmas, and is loving it! I actually did really well this year, besides the Cat’s Meow I also got him a Neko Fly and Aquabot. All three were big hits. He’s loving the Aquabot the most when it’s in the bathtubs, but the Cat’s Meow is a close second. I have one happy Tonkinese!

• Ingrid says:

The Neko Flies toys are a big hit here also, James. I have not heard about the Aquabot – will have to check that out!

• James says:

It’s made by the same people who make Hex Bugs – Nanobugs, which are also a big kitty favorite. It’s a little battery operated fish that swims around lifelike. Can’t recommend it enough!

2. Beth says:

Haven’t gotten one if these but plan to! One recommendation is get recharging batteries.
    Recharge them overnight and pop them back in the next day. That way you’re not going thru
    tons of batteries.

3. Dorothy says:

Your Christmas routine with Allegra and Ruby sounds like what I go through with my mother. Someday I’ll manage a gift she’ll enjoy. Until then, I’ve got cats that are easier to please. Hitch especially likes ‘The Cat’s Meow’, particularity when I tie a small ribbon to the ”mouse’s tail’. Beware of leaving it out and unattended though. Hitch quickly learned to turn it on and it can be heard spinning away throughout the house in the middle of the night. It also uses up lots more batteries. He may be able to turn it ON but he shows no interest in turning it OFF. The other three felines seem to enjoy the toy too but Hitch as laid primary claim to it and nobody seems interested in challenging him. Happy New Year!

• Ingrid says:

So far, Allegra and Ruby haven’t figured out how to turn it on, Dorothy. I don’t keep it out once they’re done playing with it, but Allegra snuck in the closet I keep it in when it’s not being used, and I could tell she was trying to figure out why the mouse wasn’t running!

4. Oh I wish you had posted this when I just saw this toy at Walgreens the other day! I had seen it on late night TV (you can purchase it there too) and I hesitated for the same reasons as you. Cody has sooo many toys and basically only plays with his furry mice! After seeing the girls have such fun and after reading your review, I am going to go back to Walgreens this week and see if it is still there. If not, I will purchase on Amazon as you suggested! THANK YOU!

5. viki worden says:

My sister got this for her kitty and he loves it. I plan on getting one at some point for mine. I did get them some little hard rubber butterflys that are catnip infused. They played with them for a few minutes and now they just sit on my,livingroom floor with other toys that don’t seem to grasp their attention. It is always a guessing game what they will like or not like. They are not too much different from my children :)

6. Niki says:

I’m glad at least YOU’VE had good luck with the Cat’s Meow. I’ve had the worst luck. Personally, I don’t think it’s very well made. Oh yeah, my cat loved it, could barely wait for me to get it open, and then of course I had to trek to Target to get C batteries. It would be nice if they’d be included. He used it for a month, then the wand somehow broke off, and the end was stuck in the machine so I couldn’t glue it. No problem, I thought. It comes with two. Yeah, right. One of the battery springy thingies broke off on that one! Okay, accidents happen, I thought, so I went and ordered another one…More money lost. When I got it, the screws on BOTH of them were busted so I couldn’t open the battery compartment! I called Cat’s Meow and returned it and they sent me two more, I also ordered one on Amazon, just in case. The one I got on Amazon, the screws were busted as well, and the one I got from Cats Meow…on the first one the screws were busted, but I was able to get them open on the second toy. I am NOT dealing with this again! If he breaks this one…there ain’t no more! I’ve also read and heard poor reviews about it, this is about the only review that was good about the Cat’s Meow.

• Ingrid says:

I’m sorry you had such bad luck with this toy, Niki. There are a number of readers who commented on our Facebook page who also had problems with it. I was a little leery after reading the bad reviews, too, but I guess I lucked out.

• Barb says:

I also had extreme bad luck.. BUYER AWARE… do not buy this for long hair cats. I have three Persian Cats .. They loved this when I first turned it on.. As always … Eventually they felt the need to lay and bat at the ‘tail’ . well… the ball that rolls along the ground with the tail attached managed to roll the hair on my cat .. like hair getting caught in a fan .. just twirled it and CHAOS broke out .. my poor baby Screamed and RAN .. Ran with that entire hard plastic apparatus attached . Persians have very thin skin and this could have ripped off more than hair.. She ran under the kitchen table with the base bouncing off chair legs.. Even under supervision this is dangerous for long hair cats . Please warn people of this .. Thanks .. I know many people read your posts and this warning might save a kitty from a traumatic experience.

7. Cindy says:

I’ve been considering this for awhile, but just can’t seem to find the extra $ for a toy for the kitties. Glad to hear that it’s worth the $, I’d probably want to invest in rechargeable batteries though knowing my crew. Can you adjust the speed or is it just one speed?

8. Melissa says:

Truffles got one too and is so far only watching it from afar. I think she’s a little scared of it right now LOL I have hope for it though :)

Do you have a dollar store near you? Great place to buy batteries!

9. I got one of these last year , me deaded the Mousie real quick :)
    I bite off the tail *mol*

10. Casey says:

Ah, this is Undercover Mouse…I had heard that they were selling the design to another company. They used to have three speeds on the motor, though.

Tell me – does it still “click” loudly when the mouse is held down? The old, old ones didn’t, then then newer ones did and my cats didn’t like it. I’d be willing to buy one of these if they don’t do the clicky thing…

• Ingrid says:

Yes, it does click when the “mouse” is held down, Casey, but it’s not a very loud click. The first time it did it, I thought the toy had broken, then I realized what happened.

11. We had this toy when it was called Undercover Mouse. We LOVED it!! But unfortunately, after about a year the motor on it died and the mom has not gotten us a new one.

This toy would be really cool if it had a timer on it and it would shut off after a certain amount of time.

12. Bernie says:

My four have gone thru 3 of the cloths already. Good enjoyment watching them play.

13. A belated “Merry Christmas” and a “Happy New Year-2014″ to all the cat owners.My two cats are my non-human children and without them i would definitely be a bit lonlier.

14. Sue Brandes says:

My kitties of course got lots of toys. 2 favs where a round scratcher with a ball and a feather toy. We have one of those toys but; mine doesn’t work well like that. The cover is too heavy on mine. I must of got a bad one. Mine sure does not work that good. I wanted it for my very active cat. He’s needs more interactive toys.

15. My cats always get toys for Christmas. I bought them ‘The Cat’s Meow” last October. My husband and I saw the commercial so I bought it for them at my local grocer. My oldest cat played with it one night. My younger cat loves playing with it and loves to sit on it while it is on. She goes berserk trying to catch the mouse. It is funny to watch the mouse bump her in the butt when she sits on it. I guess that is one way of making sure she catches the mouse. :)

16. Joanne says:

We purchased one of these for Montana’s birthday in September. It’s still working
    and he loves it. He also learned how to push the
    Button to turn it on and off!

17. Susie says:

It’s good to hear all the success stories about this cat toy; however, I was concerned to read the post about the danger to long-haired kitties. I read lots of negative customer comments on Amazon.com and so will not be purchasing it for my kitties. On your recommendation, I did get them a DaBird which is great to use before breakfast & dinner — in the wild they have to chase that bird down before they get it handed to them in a warmed ceramic dish!