Ruby’s Reflections: Feline Office Assistant Job Description

feline_office_assistant_office_cat

Hi everyone, it’s Ruby! I have a big job: I’m Mom’s office assistant. Allegra helps, too, but I’m the one who sits in Mom’s lap most of the time while she’s working, so even though Allegra and I came up with this job description for office cats together, I get to present it to you.

Description: Feline Office Assistant

Feline Office Assistant Job Purpose: Assist human in maintaining hindering office operations by receiving and distributing communications laying on important papers; maintaining batting around supplies and sitting on equipment, paying particular attention to this thing called “mouse;” picking-up and delivering items (which means batting them to the furthest corner of the office); serving customers, training the human to serve.

Feline Office Assistant Job Duties:

• Take care of correspondence by typing when human is not watching – this is also known as feline editing.
  • Maintain supplies by checking stock to determine inventory levels – this is especially important when it comes to food supplies. Alert human before supplies run out completely!
  • Placing and expediting orders using a square piece of plastic the human usually keeps in her wallet.
  • Maintain equipment by completing preventive maintenance. This involves ensuring equal distribution of cat hair to all pieces of equipment. Monitoring equipment operation – especially important when it comes to printers. It is helpful to assist the paper by pulling it out with paws or mouth.
  • Maintain office schedule, ensuring adequate time for naps and play.
  • Update job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities. This means reading the blogs of your cat friends, and watching YouTube videos of cute cats.
  • Enhance organization’s human’s reputation by accomplishing new and different requests accepting ownership for any and all accomplishments.

Skills/Qualifications: Previous office experience a plus, but really, the only requirements are cuteness and the ability to distract your human.

Do your kitties qualify for this important position?

25 Comments on Ruby’s Reflections: Feline Office Assistant Job Description

1. Debby Hanoka
    June 21, 2013 at 3:53 pm (4 years ago)

I am a nurse cat. I help my Girl Human, Debby, relax when she gets stressed out looking for a job. I jump on her bed and cry and cry and cry until she comes over to snuggle with me, and then I purr her to sleep. Debby says the snuggle-sleep is keeping her from looking for a job, but I tell her that she doesn’t understand the importance of snuggle-sleep. Besides, her job is staying home with me so I can take care of her!

Purrs & Headbonks,
    Lilith Kitten Mahoney, Age 12
    Nurse Cat & Diabeticat

2. Candace
    February 6, 2013 at 5:43 pm (4 years ago)

Bella has accepted theis position for my husband when he works at home on weekends. Her most important task is keeping the printer in line with a good smack when it starts to growl!

3. Margaret
    February 6, 2013 at 4:52 pm (4 years ago)

Just love this job description! Gracie definitely qualifies (in fact, she’s probably over qualified!).

February 6, 2013 at 5:03 pm (4 years ago)

I don’t think there’s such a thing as being overqualified in a cat’s mind, Margaret. 🙂

4. Alexandria
    February 6, 2013 at 3:28 pm (4 years ago)

Jayda and Kiki are quite talented in this area as well – Jayda will “supervise” when I use the laptop by laying at the side (of course, this is where the warm air blows out) and Kiki likes to keep my lap climate controlled. What a great post, Ruby!

February 6, 2013 at 5:03 pm (4 years ago)

Ah, kitties and laptops – a purr-fect combination if there ever was one!

5. maru
    February 6, 2013 at 12:55 pm (4 years ago)

The boys at home are quite good as ‘feline support for humans at work’. Of course the feline decides what, when and how the support should be … It goes from staying as close to me as possible, usually in deep sleep, to standing in front of the screen to show that is time for a break. My old boy has a particular side -left of the screen- and he can be there as long as I am at the desk, he has been doing it for 12 years so he is pretty good at it.

February 6, 2013 at 3:08 pm (4 years ago)

It sounds like your boys have purr-fected the art of feline support for humans, Maru!

6. Esme
    February 6, 2013 at 11:15 am (4 years ago)

So true,

I love talking to clients with the munchkins meowing in the background.

February 6, 2013 at 3:07 pm (4 years ago)

I bet your clients love it, too, Esme!

7. Texas, a cat in New York
    February 6, 2013 at 10:55 am (4 years ago)

That sounds like a very important and interesting job!
    I am currently nap substitute in chief (I basically nap for my human) but if I had to change job, I would certainly apply to such a position! Thanks Ruby!
    Purrs

February 6, 2013 at 3:07 pm (4 years ago)

Napping for your human – now that’s brilliant, Texas!

8. Patricia Harrington
    February 6, 2013 at 10:53 am (4 years ago)

Roby’s “cousins” agree with the job description. Especially, Marley the Man, my all black black stray who checked me out and decided I was “okay”. And he moved in and likes to “nest” on my desk while I type.

9. Tami Amburn
    February 6, 2013 at 9:19 am (4 years ago)

Keep it up Ruby…you are doing great

February 6, 2013 at 3:07 pm (4 years ago)

Thanks, Tami!

10. Nancy March
    February 6, 2013 at 8:11 am (4 years ago)

How about she hides my ink pens only where the vacuum finds them !

February 6, 2013 at 3:07 pm (4 years ago)

Good one, Nancy. And I bet she loves that crunching noise when the pen gets sucked into the evil vacuum!

11. Marg
    February 6, 2013 at 7:39 am (4 years ago)

Ruby, we just knew you were going to be a good worker. It sure sounds like you are doing a first class job and are leaving no piece of paper unturned. Keep up the good work. Take care.

February 6, 2013 at 3:06 pm (4 years ago)

She is a very hard little worker kitten, Marg.

12. Sue
    February 6, 2013 at 7:16 am (4 years ago)

Sounds about right! My cat Hattie played an important administrative role during tax season as my CPA (Constantly Purring Accountant). Chief duties: identifying critical documents by sitting on them and ensuring that I took frequent breaks for stress relief.

February 6, 2013 at 3:06 pm (4 years ago)

CPA – I love it, Sue!

13. caren gittleman
    February 6, 2013 at 6:40 am (4 years ago)

It is about time someone put this in writing!! Now…let’s discuss our SALARY!! Love, Cody

February 6, 2013 at 3:05 pm (4 years ago)

Hmm. Salary. You’re right, Cody! It must be addressed!

14. Vicki
    February 6, 2013 at 4:48 am (4 years ago)

Sasha certainly agrees whole heatedly with Ruby and Allegra, a vital role performed in the home office for my husband Kevin!

February 6, 2013 at 3:05 pm (4 years ago)

Good going, Sasha!