Conscious Cat

June 8, 2012 26 Comments

Carrageenan: should it be in your cat’s food?

Posted by Ingrid

white_cat_eating_canned_food

Carrageenan is a common food addivitve both in pet food and human food. It is extracted from seaweed through the use of a chemical solvent. It is used as thickener and binder in canned pet food, as well as in many human foods such as ice cream, yogurt, and soy milk.

You would think something that comes from seaweed is natural and healthy, right? Think again. There are two kinds of carrageenan – degraded and undegraded. According to the Cornucopia Institute, the International Agency for Research on Cancer recognizes degraded carrageenan as a “possible human carcinogen,” based on research showing that it leads to higher rates of colon cancer in lab animals. Carrageenan processors claim that food-grade carrageenan falls entirely in the undegraded category; however, one study showed that not a single sample of food-grade carrageenan could confidently claim to be entirely free of the potential cancer-causing material.

All of this has me increasingly concerned about feeding food that contains carrageenan. Even though foods without this ingredient may be a little harder to find, I think it’s well worth reading your labels and finding alternatives if your cat’s current food contains it.

Sadly, even some of the really good grain-free cat food brands that I otherwise like contain carrageenan. I recently took Wellness off my list of recommended brands for that reason.

At this point, I recommend three brands of canned food which (as of this writing) do not contain carrageenan: WeruvaNature’s Variety Instinct Canned and Nature’s Logic Canned. I’ve fed these brands, and have been happy with how my cats do on them.

Take the time to scan your cat’s food for this ingredient. Unless your cat absolutely refuses to eat the brands that do not contain carrageenan, I would make the switch.

Photo ©Robin Olson, used with permission. See more of Robin’s adorable foster kittens on her blog, Covered in Cat Hair.

An unknown error occured.
You can nominate once a day, every day, until June 29

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
FacebookTwitterGoogle+LinkedInPinterestShare

26 Responses to “Carrageenan: should it be in your cat’s food?”

1. Thanks, Ingrid. Been wondering about it. Ugh, another thing to worry about! Wish that all companies would just look out for the kitties!!

2. My cats were on Nulo (has carageenan) and Life’s Abundance Instinctive (doesn’t have carageenan) and am just letting the Nulo run out and stay with the LA. I subscribe to truthaboutpetfood.com and it’s a big help in finding good food choices, too. I always remember when I used to say to my husband ‘I’m running out to get cat food’ and he’d say ‘See you in 3 hours’ because I spent so much time reviewing labels, hahameow!

• Ingrid says:

I can totally relate to the 3 hours of cat food shopping, Teri. I think I spend more time reading cat food labels than worrying about what’s in the food I eat!

• Ellen says:

Hi Teri,
      My little kitty won’t eat Life’s Abundance wet cat food. Could I sell you a case? I’ve been trying to get rid of it because I can’t return. Let me know!
      Ellen

3. I’ve been hearing a lot about this lately. I didn’t even know what it was.

• Ingrid says:

There has been a lot more information about this lately, Julia. I think it’s because pet parents are asking more questions, which is a good thing.

4. Pam says:

Great post, Ingrid.

Watch out, and read the label on EACH FLAVOR of a canned food you’re interested in purchasing. I routinely find carageenan in one flavor of a single brand’s food, but then it’s not in some other flavor of the same brand.

Unfortunately, you have to read every single label on every single can if you’re serious about avoiding carageenan, which I am!

• Ingrid says:

Thanks, Pam. I did not realize that even different flavors within the same brand may or may not contain carrageenan. I just scanned the Nature’s Variety and Nature’s Logic canned foods I recommend, and all flavors are without carrageenan. I’ll have to go through all of the Weruva flavors to be sure, but the ones I feed (the poultry based ones) are all carrageenan-free.

5. I checked the ingredients in Nature’s Logic. It contains kelp. The amount is probably small enough that it’s not an issue, but kelp contains carageenan.

• Ingrid says:

Good find, Laurie. I’ll try to find out from Nature’s Logic how that kelp is processed.

• Ingrid says:

Laurie, I heard back from Nature’s Logic. According to their quality assurance person, the kelp (seaweed) is solar dried and minimally processed through grinding, milling and screening, ensuring it remains natural through to the finished product.

6. Bethany says:

But Nature’s Variety contains Montmorillonite Clay, another source of concern regarding dioxin.

• Ingrid says:

Montmorillonite clay is a caking agent. Nature’s Variety has told me that theirs is Hydrated Sodium Calcium Aluminosilicate and is sourced from deposits in southern Utah.

7. Liz says:

All but three of the Weruva fish flavors contain carrageenan (Meow Luau, Mideast Feast, and Mediterranean Harvest don’t). I wish they said what kind of Mackerel they use, some species are listed in the high/highest group and others are very low. Am avoiding them and the tuna (same problem) just to be safe, which just leaves the tilapia one as an occasional treat.

8. Liz says:

Following up: Tiki Cat’s all seem to be carrageenan-free (as well as xanthan gum) but they’re almost all fish or fish combinations – they only have two flavors that don’t include fish.

9. Liz says:

Whoops, following up again – just noticed the Tiki Cat flavors ‘with rice’ list “Vegetable Gums” on the website, which if you look at the actual can label says (Locust Bean, Carrageenan, Guar) after it.

10. Lisa says:

Just a quick note to say how customer inquiry and pressure can influence a manufacturer – ZiwiPeak will be removing the carrageenan from their canned foods in the new year (not sure specifically which month). The VP of the company just confirmed this (to me via email) and will announce on ZP’s site and other ZP mediums (Facebook, etc.) when the carrageenan-free food will hit the markets.

11. Fluffy Frank says:

Each one of the 3 brands you listed are expensive. Not just mid-range, but high end. To be feeding that daily to a cat is a ridiculous expenditure.

There are some Fancy Feast – Classics that do not have carrageenan, not to mention, no grains, glutens or other fillers. Unlike many other brands.

• Ingrid says:

Fancy Feast may not contain carrageenan, buy it contains by-products and filers. High end premium foods may be more expensive, but since they’re better for your cat, they may save you veterinary expenses down the line. I encourage cat guardians to feed the best food they’re able to afford.

12. Gale says:

I can attest to this. I’m late to the game. Gale is now 10yrs old and has had vomiting issues 1 or 2x per DAY. I was feeding mainly dry food- Eukanuba, IAMS, Science Diet and I thought I was doing the right thing, but I was proved wrong. Because she was not drinking enough water and only got dry food, I had to take her to the Emergency Vet to remove a piece of hard stool stuck half way in her anus. The vet also removed several more pieces of hard stool from her tract. She was meowing and looked to be in awful pain. I couldn’t imagine going through that.

I’m not excited to spend $1 can or more per day, but I am fortunate enough to afford it and I’ve had my cat since she was 8 wks old. She has been my companion for 10 years and she deserves it. Like Ingrid said, feed the best food you can afford.

13. Michele says:

Ingrid, the foods you listed that dont have carageenan contain montmorillanite clay. Have you done any research on that? I have and it doesnt look good.

• Ingrid says:

Montmorillanite clay is a source of minerals, so it can actually add beneficial ingredients to a food. It’s used as a binding agent in canned foods. Some holistic vets actually recommend it as a detoxifying supplement. The concern with this ingredient can be dioxin contamination, so sourcing is important.