Conscious Cat

May 4, 2012 33 Comments

Posted by Ingrid

Kirkland_Diamond_Pet_Food_recall

Diamond Pet Food began recalling certain lots of various dog food brands due to possible salmonella contamination in April. The recall has now been expanded to include two products for cats sold at Costco:

• Kirkland Signature Super Premium Maintenance Cat Chicken & Rice Formula (Best Before December 9, 2012 through January 31, 2013)
  • Kirkland Signature Super Premium Healthy Weight Cat Formula (Best Before December 9, 2012 through January 31, 2013)

To determine if their pet food is recalled, consumers should check the production codes on the back of bags that have a number “2” or a “3” in the 9th or 10th digit and an “X” in the 11th digit. The best-before dates for the recalled brands listed above are December 9, 2012 through April 7, 2013.

The following graphic illustrates how to read the production code and best-before date:

For a full list of recalled products, and more information, please refer to the Diamond Pet Food Recall Information.

This is a developing story. Diamond Pet Food makes foods for a lot of different brands (refer to the list on the Recall Information page). So far, the two foods mentioned above are the only cat foods implicated in the recall, but the list of dog foods keeps growing, and I wouldn’t be surprised if there will be additional cat foods added.

The Centers for Disease Control is reporting that 14 people in 9 states have become sick with salmonella infections from handling contaminated dog food involved in this recall – 5 of them are hospitalized.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
FacebookTwitterGoogle+LinkedInPinterestShare

33 Responses to “Diamond Pet Food recall expanded to include Costco’s Kirkland Signature cat food”

1. [...] Diamond recall at first appeared confined to just dry dog food but Costco has added two kinds of Kirkland dry cat food to the list today (May 5). Dog Food Advisor has a list of recalled foods going back to 2009. [...]

• Lisa says:

Oh my gosh! Here it is August and my cat has been sick for four weeks. We have gone to the vet three times and they can’t find anything wrong. I even mentioned to the vet that we started a new bag of cat food but it’s the same food she has eaten for a long time. The vet didn’t think it was the food. Now after spending $300 plus dollars I thought about looking on the web. Thank you for posting this issue! I will take her off of the food as soon as I get home and go buy a different brand.

2. robert aulis says:

my cats both got sick from the food we bought at costco, one of them had severe diarrhea for 2 weeks, we did not know what was causing the illness, so we would remove the food for a few days and he would improve, then we would give it back and he was sick again. Because he improved when we removed the food we did not see a vet. We have replaced the food, and he is fine now, but we are really upset that we all had to go through the illness. We disinfected the entire house 3 times, and had to shower the cat 3 times, all in all this was a horrible experiance for him and us. I would like to know what you plan to do for people who have suffered through things like this for your mistake? Thank God at least we still have our beloved Puss.

• Ingrid says:

I’m so sorry for everything you went through, Robert. Please note that I’m not affiliated with Diamond Pet Food, Costco, or Kirklan in any shape or form. I just wanted to help spread the word so more pet owners wouldn’t have to go through what you went through. I suggest you contact Diamond and/or Costco directly.

3. Sara says:

That would explain my 3 kitties diarrhea and vomiting last month.

4. Laura says:

Add my household of cats to the growing list. I had assumed their runs were from changing food and they needed time to adjust, and now one of them is losing his hair. Thank you for reporting on this.

5. Treva says:

My cat just died 4 weeks ago and had been eating this food. She was 12 years old and then went downhill fast. Now my two year old cat is very lethargic…don’t know if she threw up, she goes outside sometimes…We started a new bag of food recently but the best by date is not part of the recall, but I have pulled it and will return it…now just wondering if my little one will pull though. Is eating another kind of food a good sign?

• Ingrid says:

Treva, I’m so sorry about your cat. I would take your other kitty to the vet for a thorough check up just to be safe. I also encourage you to report this to the FDA, here’s the information on how to do that: http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/SafetyHealth/ReportaProblem/ucm182403.htm

• Treva says:

I took my 2.5 year old to the ER on Memorial Day. She had to spend the night and then transfer to vet care. She never did vomit but had a high fever of unknown origin 104.6F. With iv and sub-cut fluids and antibiotics, she is slowly recovering. The vet didn’t think the food was the problem but advised me to dispose of it anyway. I will return it to Costco on my next visit.

I will follow up with the FDA –thanks for the link.

• Treva says:

Like I mentioned above, the 12 year old cat died suddenly. The 2.5 year old got really sick. and recovered. Then the 9 year old started a slow decline, same symptoms: rapid weight loss, chemical breath smell and she died within 8 weeks. Vet visits were inconclusive.

The final chapter: the 2.5 year old (now 3.5) quit eating just before last Thanksgiving and was gone in 3 days–complete kidney failure per the vet.

I do believe there was something in that food that damaged their kidneys. The older two were rescue cats with unknown health history and the young one was so strong but for them all to go like that…the chemical breath smell was due to toxic build up from lack of kidney function.

Devastating.

6. Shireen says:

We just opened a new bag of the maintenance Cat food from costco referenced in this blog. We noticed that the shape has changed to be more flattened round discs instead of rounded kibble. We put it out like normal but our cats are just not eating it. We will be changing cat food now that I have read the comments here because I do not want to sicken them – I guess they can tell if the food is ‘off’ because they are having nothing to do with it! Thank you for the informitive web site.

7. Erica says:

We just had to put our cat of 15 years down and our cat of 8 years is currently not doing well either. We were not aware of this and I am afraid this may be what is wrong with our cats. The amount of vomit coming from these cats is out of control! Someone should be responsible for the costs we are occurring from the Vets!

8. Carrie says:

I had all 3 of my cats on Kirkland Signature Super Premium Healthy Weight Cat Formula, all 3 of them died in the same month. The vet said their kidneys failed and that their food was mostly likely the culprit.

9. Genevieve says:

Glad I found this article, I found a bag in the garage that matches the dates for the recall. I’ve lost 2 cats in the last 3 months due to liver problems and one of the only connections they have is the cat food. Really upset I didn’t hear about the recall from Costco.

• Ingrid says:

I’m so sorry about your cats, Genevieve – how devastating.

• Pam says:

I breed persian cats and have lost 2 to liver failure this summer (2013) and they eat only Costo Chicken/Rice food. I bet it affected their livers…one was just 1 year old and 1 3 years old.
      Have you contacted the FDA??

10. Abigail says:

My cat was just found in my neighbours garage. She sadly passed away. She was a very healthy 10 year old Siamese tabby mix. She had visited the vet recently for a check up and she was in perfect health. The only thing new I did was give her this food. It’s not the recalled version .. It expires 2015. Do you think it’s possible it could have happened again?

• Ingrid says:

I’m so sorry about your cat, Abigail. It’s probably impossible to tell whether the food had anything to do with her passing. An autopsy may provide some answers, if you’re willing to do that.

11. Xena says:

I am wandering if the food may still be contaminated. I had a cat betewen 4 and 8 years, she was adopted few years back. She was in a 100% safe enviroment, the only thing I change, was last week I started to mix her food with a new brand ( for her ) Kirkland. The pass 2-3 days she just meow all day. Today I found her dead.
    BB: 09-10-14

12. Jeannette LeBlanc says:

Omg……we just started using Kirkland healthy weight cat food about a month ago. My two year old female is fine, but my six year old is dying!!!!! The vet can’t find anything yet, he has another appointment tomorrow. He went from happy, frisky, bright eyed kitty to a zombie with black eyes very quickly.

• Ingrid says:

I’m sorry about your kitty, Jeanette. This recall is from almost two years ago, and I haven’t seen anything recently about problems with Kirkland brand food. Best wishes to your kitty for a full recovery!

13. Barb says:

My six year old cat has been eating Kirkland premium dry food for about two years. She became Ill with vomiting, lethargy, abd. Pain and hight temp. Was diagnosEd with pancreatitis. Treatment with I’V fluids and meds did not save her, she died within 72 hours of getting sick. I still have half a bag and I would not want it given to any other animal, so I will take it back to Costco.

14. Jacqueline says:

I too gave it to my maine coon cat and in just one week he went from a happy cat to very lethargic. Throwing up, not being able to urinate, kidney failure, and fever. He is still at the hospital and is being given IV Fluids, pain meds, antibiotics. He has a catheter in him and has had a lot of blood in the urine. The vet said he will need to keep him for at least 4 days, I hope to God he makes it. I am now worried about my other cats. I normally do not buy cat food or anything for that matter from costco, I was given this and I thought I would try it. I now have a vet bill of $1000.00 and climbing and a very sick 4 year old cat.