Meet Cat Daddy Jackson Galaxy’s furry family members

Jackson_Galaxy_Caroline

Jackson Galaxy is a busy man these days. He just finished recording the audio version of his upcoming book, Cat Daddy: What the World’s Most Incorrigible Cat Taught Me About Life, Love, and Coming Clean. He’s gearing up for a book tour to promote the book, which will come out on May 10, and he is currently shooting the first of ten new episodes for Season Three of his wildly successful Animal Planet show My Cat From Hell.

I managed to catch up with Jackson last week while he was on the set of My Cat From Hell. We chatted a little about his busy life, and his book, but what I really wanted to talk to him about was cats. His own cats. Who are the felines he goes home to each night? Do they have behavioral problems, or are the Cat Daddy’s fur children problem-free?

Jackson shares his life with four cats.

Jackson_Galaxy_Velouria

Velouria is the grande dame of the family; she is somewhere between 18 and 20 years old. Velouria came into Jackson’s life when he was working at a shelter. He had just lost his beloved boy Grolsch, who was rescued from a barn in Iowa in the middle of a blizzard, to FIP. One day, someone left a box with two kittens outside the shelter’s door. One of the kittens looked just like Grolsch.

“No way,” said Jackson. “I didn’t want to adopt a kitten. That’s just not a cool thing to do when you work at a shelter, and there are all these older cats looking for homes.” But Velouria reminded him so much of Grolsch that he realized that resistance was futile. When he adopted her, he thought she was a kitten, but she was actually somewhere between one and three years old. She was, and still is, tiny, weighing in at barely six pounds. Despite her advanced age, she’s still full of energy and runs laps around the house.

Chips_Jackson_Galaxy

Chips, also known as Chippie or Chuppie, is seventeen. She was part of a litter of kittens thrown out of a car in a garbage bag. A friend of Jackson’s saw what happened and rescued the kittens. Chips is a somewhat solitary cat. She’s a little wary, and very reactive. “She will kick your butt,” said Jackson, “but she always comes right back.” She loves Jackson to a degree that he almost preferred she didn’t. She has a unique way of showing her love for him: she will wake him up in the middle of the night by biting his lip. When he opens his mouth, she sticks her entire head inside.

Zeke_Jackson_Galaxy

Zeke is the only male cat in the group. At six years and weighing close to twenty pounds, he’s not only physically imposing, he’s the bully of the family and has to be kept separate from the other cats. He grew up with dogs, and he acts and plays more like a dog than a cat. “He’s been my template on how to work with bullies,” says Jackson.

Caroline_Jackson_Galaxy

At three years old, Caroline is the youngest of the group. She was one of a litter of kittens fostered by a friend, who sent Jackson photos of Caroline via Facebook. He really didn’t want another cat, so he said no. Eventually, all the other kittens in the litter were adopted. His friend sent one last picture. “Just come and take a look,” she said. So he did. He scooped Caroline up, she started purring in his arms, and it was all over.

“I just adore her,” says Jackson. She is a shy cat, and her first reaction to anything is to retreat. “She is proof positive that if you give a cat room to grow and breathe, she will thrive,” says Jackson. He used his famous challenge line concept with her. The challenge line is the line between allowing cats to hide where they feel safe, and challenging them to move out of their comfort zone in order to give them a richer life. Caroline bottomed out after Jackson’s recent move to a new home. She was scared, and retreated again. He stepped up his challenge line work with her, and eventually, she leveled out again.

Jackson_Galaxy_catify_your_house

Jackson’s house is every cat’s dream home. “Catified” by Kate Benjamin of Moderncat, the home’s main feature is a “cat superhighway” of cat shelves at multiple levels with “on and off ramps” to allow the cats to access their favorite perches without any kitty traffic jams. It took three months before all the cats discovered and used the shelves. Jackson always tells cat guardians to give it time when they make changes to a cat’s environment and not to expect instant feline acceptance. Once again, his own cats provided the living lab, and proof that his methods work.

There’s one more member of Jackson’s family that may come as a bit of a surprise to Cat Daddy fans.

Rudy_Jackson_Galaxy_bi-petual

Jackson is “bi-petual” – his furry family is rounded out by Rudy, a female Jack Russell/Beagle mix. I teased Jackson about picking a Jack Russell of all things (the breed is not known to be friendly toward cats). “Oh no,” said Jackson. “She picked me.”

Rudy was found wandering down the middle of a very busy street on Christmas Eve two years ago. Covered in motor oil, intact, with ingrown toe nails and in horrible shape overall, this little dog looked like she had reached the end of the line. “I didn’t even want to do due diligence with her and try to find out if she belonged to someone,” says Jackson. “I just figured let her keep running from whatever she was running from.” He agreed to foster her and had no intentions of keeping her. Rather than naming her, he called her “little dog.” She became the classic failed foster. “After a month of torturing the cats, and the cats torturing her in return, everyone settled down,” said Jackson.

Rudy has a very strange relationship with Chips. They act like herding dogs with each other. Rudy keeps Chips in check, often scruffing her neck and holding her down. Chip will hiss and run, but then come right back and head butt Rudy. According to Jackson, “they can keep going like that for hours.”

I asked Jackson to tell me one favorite thing about each of his five fur kids. These were his answers:

On Velouria: “Her resilience. She’s shown me how to teach others that a cat can change and go from victim to being an amazing, confident cat.”

On Chips: “I love all the things about her that annoy me!”

On Zeke: “The combination of dog cat that he is.”

On Caroline: “I love that she trusts me 100% even though it goes against every fiber of her being.”

On Rudy: “Rudy is a reminder that dog mojo is an important thing to have in your life. It’s a balance of cat love and dog love. “

Jackson went on to say: “When I’m away from home, I miss my dog so bad that it hurts. I miss my cats, too, but cats represent the home. Dogs represent the home outside the home.”

Jackson Galaxy, cat behaviorist and star of Animal Planet’s My Cat From Hell, has been reading about, writing about and working hands-on with cats for 15 years. For more information, please visit Jackson’s website. Jackson’s first book, Cat Daddy: What the World’s Most Incorrigible Cat Taught Me About Life, Love and Coming Clean, is available for pre-order. For every copy of Cat Daddy pre-ordered before May 10, 2012, Tarcher-Penguin will donate $1.00 to help homeless cats cared for by Neighborhood Cats, Best Friends Animal Society and Stray Cat Alliance. To make your pre-order count, simply e-mail your receipt (or a photo/scan of your receipt) to CatDaddy@gmail.com.

Cat_Daddy_Jackson_Galaxy

31 Comments on Meet Cat Daddy Jackson Galaxy’s furry family members

1. madeline
    April 19, 2012 at 7:07 pm (3 years ago)

We live with a 20 yr old female cat (BabeeCat), who is blind and has “kitty dementia”. We also have an Akita, named Homer. He used to be afraid of her, but lately I have noticed him cleaning her. Our son has a Pitbull named Buddy Andrew. The 2 dogs are very protective of the cat, so much so that when my son was clipping Babee’s claws, Babee started to cry. Buddy got in between the cat and Joe and barked at him as if to say “STOP! You’re hurting her!” Babee is a diva and the dogs are her minions!

April 19, 2012 at 8:34 pm (3 years ago)

I love it, Madeline! I especially love that both your dogs are busting breed stereotypes about not getting along with cats wide open. As far as Babee is concerned, you know what they say: “Cats rule…”

• Debbie
      May 24, 2015 at 6:35 pm (2 months ago)

Okay. I know it’s 2015 but just getting to this area about the famous Cat Daddy. Luv his story of his five adopted family members. Madeline, your story of the BabeeCat n how Buddy protects her is amazing to hear. Just show cats n dogs have feelings too.

2. toni / rctees
    April 19, 2012 at 5:32 pm (3 years ago)

Great job Ingrid…….love this man even more now that I know more about his relationship with HIS babies.

Caroline sounds so much like my Abby….she is such a shy little thing yet like Jackson said. “she trusts me 100% even though it goes against every fiber of her being.”

Thanks for a wonderful post!
    ♥toni

April 19, 2012 at 8:33 pm (3 years ago)

Thanks, Toni!

3. Rita Palmer
    April 19, 2012 at 4:16 pm (3 years ago)

I found Juliet at the shelter. She was a very unhappy cat. She lived with her sister in a Paws home, and was also living with a family who had a dog, plus her sister. Three kids too.
    She was sent back to paws and they took her to the shleter. When I got her..she was the cat from hell. I thought my arms would fall off from the bites and scratches. I know what she went through, so I did time outs, which work and also, treats. After two years, she is
    so much better, secure in her love for me, and her towels, she lays on..she is over eating
    or something. I give her the Purina Pro Plan Weight Management Formula, 2 ts. of the Purina Pate one in the morning and one at night. She keeps begging for food.

Is there a cat food for her that can help her lose weight? She looks like the picture of
    Jackson holding the cat. They are called Cal-Tabs. Calico and Tabby. Help..she
    needs to lose weight. My apartment is small so she doesn’t get much exercise or
    she tires of the mouse on the string after about 5 min.

4. vickie
    April 19, 2012 at 3:28 pm (3 years ago)

don’t get the ..miss the dog..is different then miss the cats…I’ve had dogs and cats ogether all my life….my dog just passed last year…i hav 7 cats….but when I left on vacation i missed them all…Cats are the home,though…like my babies…

April 19, 2012 at 4:26 pm (3 years ago)

I don’t like to travel because I miss my cats too much, Vickie.

• Sammycat
      June 17, 2012 at 9:39 am (3 years ago)

I agree with you Vickie, I’ve had dogs and cats all my life, and miss both equally when I go away! I love his comment about dog mojo and cat mojo but I don’t understand his comment about dogs being the home away from home, eh?

5. Julie c
    April 19, 2012 at 3:19 pm (3 years ago)

Love reading about Jackson’s animals. As a kitty mom of 5 it still amazes me of the different personalities of each one. Keep up the great work with animals Jackson, the world needs more people like you!

April 19, 2012 at 4:26 pm (3 years ago)

I agree, Julie, the world, and especially the cats of the world, need people like Jackson!

6. Esme
    April 19, 2012 at 2:42 pm (3 years ago)

I always enjoy reading about other people’s pet, each of these cats have their own sweet personality.

April 19, 2012 at 4:25 pm (3 years ago)

They all sound wonderful, don’t they, Esme?

7. Deb Barnes - Zee and Zoey
    April 19, 2012 at 12:51 pm (3 years ago)

Wonderful! I love connecting the dots and making things more personal! Even though I really don’t know Jackson that well, in some ways I feel I have known him my whole life, so this sneak peek into his fur-family, along with pictures, is such a joy! Thanks for sharing!

April 19, 2012 at 4:25 pm (3 years ago)

I’m glad you enjoyed this profile, Deb.

8. Nancy
    April 19, 2012 at 12:35 pm (3 years ago)

What a wonderful interview! And so surprising a d-o-g resides in Jackson’s home also. How great that he is bi-petual. Loved the comments at the end about each of his fur babies.

April 19, 2012 at 4:25 pm (3 years ago)

Rudy came as a surprise to me, too, Nancy. I love Jackson’s comment about the balance between dog mojo and cat mojo.

9. Layla Morgan Wilde (Cat Wisdom101)
    April 19, 2012 at 11:47 am (3 years ago)

It was great to see Jackson’s pets up close and personal, but especially his old gal Velouria who is mentioned numerous times in his new book.

April 19, 2012 at 4:52 pm (3 years ago)

I always have a soft spot for old kitties, too.

10. Kent Butler
    April 19, 2012 at 11:09 am (3 years ago)

What a great piece, as usual, Ingrid. Many thanks for your insightful profile of my favorite “cat guy.”

All the best –

April 19, 2012 at 4:23 pm (3 years ago)

Thanks, Kent! This was a joy to write.

11. Caren Gittleman
    April 19, 2012 at 10:55 am (3 years ago)

Ingrid THANK YOU for this wonderful and informative post about Jackson’s furry family!! I am sooooo glad he is “bi-petual” like my household is!

Kate did an amazing job on his home……fantastic!

This was completely delightful!

April 19, 2012 at 4:23 pm (3 years ago)

My pleasure, Caren! I had a lot of fun writing this post. And I want Kate to come and catify my home!

April 19, 2012 at 4:23 pm (3 years ago)

I thought that was a very sweet way of putting it, Lisa.

12. Cindy McCord
    April 19, 2012 at 9:25 am (3 years ago)

I loved reading about the cats. We had four also until we lost our oldest, 16, about two weeks ago.

This sounds so much like one of our cats and one of the dogs:

Ours will do the same. The dog stays outside and the cat has a fit to go outside to be with him. Amazing to me considering the fact that when we got the cat, he had somehow managed to get in our back yard over a 6 foot fence (had never seen him before this) and was being chewed on by our other dogs before we found him. Luckily they hadn’t injured him as they aren’t cat friendly.

Can’t wait for the book!

April 19, 2012 at 4:22 pm (3 years ago)

That’s so funny that your cat and dog do that, too, Cindy.

13. Spunky Doodle and Manny
    April 19, 2012 at 5:45 am (3 years ago)

We liked reading about Mr. Galaxy’s cats (and doggie). We hop we live as long as his old cats! Right now we are only 7. They are very lucky to have such a great cat person for their daddy!

April 19, 2012 at 4:22 pm (3 years ago)

I’m glad you enjoyed the post!

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Meet Cat Daddy Jackson Galaxy’s furry family members

1. […] Cat Daddy, Jackson Galaxy, who shares his life with four cats (and a dog). We previously profiled Jackson’s furry family members here on The Conscious […]