The Best Food for Your Cat: My Recommendations

cat with food bowl

Editor’s Note: Even tough this article was first written in 2012, I periodically update the information to keep it current. Most recent update: April 2016. I try to as many general questions in the comments as I can. If you’d like individualized advice for your cat, please schedule a consultation

If you’ve read this blog for any length of time, you know that I’m passionate about species-appropriate nutrition for cats. Cats are obligate carnivores, and they need meat not only to survive, but to thrive. The optimal diet for a cat is a properly formulated raw, home-cooked or grain-free canned diet.

Never feed dry food

Cats shouldn’t eat dry food; even the grain-free dry varieties are too high in carbohydrates.

And contrary to the myth that just won’t die, dry food does not clean your cat’s teeth. Most cats don’t chew their kibble long enough for any of the scraping action that is the theory behind this myth to kick in. What little they do chew shatters into small pieces. Some pet food manufacturers offer a “dental diet” that is made up of larger than normal sized kibble to encourage chewing, but in my years at veterinary practices, I’ve seen many cats swallow even those larger size pieces whole. Additionally, dry food leaves a carbohydrate residue in the cat’s mouth that actually encourages growth of tartar and plaque.

Articles about feline nutrition, and one-on-one consultations

You can find many of the articles I’ve written about this topic in the Feline Nutrition section right here on this site. I also provide one-on-one consultations if you need help with transitioning your cat to a healthier diet.

What I look for in a food

• Protein is listed as the first ingredient on the label, and the meat/poultry used is fit for human consumption. If the meat is organic, that’s even better.
  • The food is grain-free (no rice, barley, or any other grains. Even though these are considered healthy in human nutrition, cats’ digestive tracts are not designed to digest the unnecessary carbs).
  • The food does not contain by-products, corn, soy, or any other fillers.
  • Ideally, I’d like to see no carrageenan in the food. Some of the brands on the list below have carrageenan in some of their flavors, so check labels carefully.
  • Ideally, I’d like a food to be GMO-free. Some of the brands on the list below may contain GMO’s.

Avoid fish-based foods

A word about fish: most cats love fish-based foods. I recommend using them sparingly or avoiding them altogether. Sadly, much of the fish that goes into pet food is contaminated with heavy metals and other toxins. (On a side note, that is also true for fish sold for human consumption.) Fish used in pet food manufacturing often contains whole fish, guts and bones, which can increase phosphorus levels of the food. This can be a problem for cats with kidney disease. Some cats are sensitive to fish-based diets and develop urinary tract problems that resolve when fish is removed from their diet. Additionally, fish based foods may contain menadione, a synthetic form of vitamin K, which has been banned by the FDA for use in human supplements.

My recommendations

I am often asked what brands I recommend. Unfortunately, there are many diets on the market that sound good based on what the pretty packaging says, but when you take a closer look at the label, you realize that there’s not much substance behind the marketing claims. The brands listed below are foods that I either currently feed to Allegra and Ruby, or have fed to them in the past. This list is not meant to be exclusive, and it does not mean that there aren’t other really good diets out there. It just means that these brands are the ones I’m comfortable with after doing thorough research.

I recommend the following (listed in no particular order):

Grain-free canned diets

Weruva. Read my full review of this brand here.

Nature’s Variety Instinct Canned

Bravo Canned

Nature’s Logic Canned

Hound and Gatos

Tiki Cat. I only recommend the poultry-based flavors.

Soulistic. This brand is exclusively sold by Petco (and also available from Amazon), but is produced under the same processing standards as Weruva.

Addiction I only recommend the carrageenan free formulas. They are a bit higher in carbs than I like to see, but I still consider it a good brand.

Wild Calling

Merrick Merrick was bought out by Purina in 2015. Company representatives assured me that they will continue to operate independently, and that the sourcing and the formulas will not change. I’ll be keeping a close eye on this brand, and will remove it from this list if I no longer feel comfortable with it.

Ziwi Peak

Raw diets

Primal Pet Foods I like these diets, but I have found that the formulas seem to vary a bit from batch to batch. If you have a finicky eater, this may become a problem.

Rad Cat This is hands down (paws down?) my favorite raw food, and my cats seem to agree

Darwin’s

Feline’s Pride

Stella and Chewy’s

Nature’s Variety

Dehydrated raw diets

The Honest Kitchen

Stella and Chewy’s

Additional Reading

How much should I feed my cat?

How to wean your cat off dry food

How to get finicky cats to eat

How to read a pet food label

Feeding your cat: know the basics of feline nutrition by Dr. Lisa Pierson

Feline Nutrition

Cooking for your cat: how to make a balanced homemade diet

Kidney failure and diet in cats

Critterzone new banner for posts

Photo: istockphoto

648 Comments on The Best Food for Your Cat: My Recommendations

1. niren sirohi
    June 19, 2016 at 8:59 am (7 days ago)

Hi Ingrid

Based on your website i feed my cat only Weruva. He used to love having paw lickin chicken but earlier this year after 1 full week of nothing but Paw lickin chicken he completely refused to have it. So now the only food he is having is splashdance (oceanfish and chicken) and two tu tango (sardine, tuna, turkey) and he will eat a little paw lickin chicken/grandma chicken soup. I am worried i am feeding him fish and am planning on stopping the two tu tango. Your thoughts on the fish? He is 14 years old

June 19, 2016 at 4:56 pm (7 days ago)

A regular diet of fish is not ideal. I’d try reintroducing some of the non-fish flavors. Maybe try Fowl Ball? It seems a little less “bland” then Paw Lickin’ Chicken and he might like it better.

• niren sirohi
        June 19, 2016 at 6:47 pm (6 days ago)

Thanks Ingrid. We will remove the two tu tango and reintroduce fowl ball (this was something he used to love but gave up). We ran into the brand Earthborn Holistic that has a chicken product as well that is grain free and carrageenan free so will give that a try as well. Will continue with splashdance for some time since he likes it so much

2. Ashley Zarth
    June 16, 2016 at 3:09 pm (1 week ago)

Hi Ingrid,
    I read that varying the type of meat fed is recommended. I did not think of this until I saw that someone else posted they fed 2 types of food to their cats. Can you help me out a little with what you recommend? For example, should I feed my cats a chicken product 2x a day if that is what I feed now (I currently feed Soulistic Good Karma Chicken at least 3x per day) and then just 1x a day feed them another meat like turkey/duck/rabbit? Do you think there are advantages to also making one of their meals from another brand or use the same brand (for me that would mean Weruva since there is only one Soulistic product recommended). If another brand is good then I think I will try to make it a raw food if I can get them to eat it since a raw food diet is my ultimate goal 🙂

• Ashley Zarth
        June 16, 2016 at 4:15 pm (1 week ago)

I cannot thank you enough for providing ALL of this amazing information and help to everyone and their cats! My cats wouldn’t be the same without you. Thank you for making choices a lot easier when there is so much confusing information out there….I have purchased the probiotic linked on your page and a new food (listed on your page) to add to their diet.

• Patti
          June 16, 2016 at 9:41 pm (1 week ago)

What is the probiotic you recommend?

• Patti
            June 17, 2016 at 8:10 am (1 week ago)

Should I be giving them the digestive enzymes daily as a preventative measure? They presently have no issues. Is it sprinkled on the food? Thx!

June 17, 2016 at 8:25 am (1 week ago)

I recommend probiotics (the Dr. Goodpet product is a blend of probiotics and digestive enzymes) as a daily supplement. Probiotics are a great immune system booster. It’s a flavorless powder and you can mix it in with food.

• Ashley Zarth
            June 17, 2016 at 11:52 am (1 week ago)

Ingrid,
            What do you think about “Purina Pro Plan Veterinary Diets FortiFlora Probiotic Cat Supplement?” This is what I was giving my cats and they LOVE the flavor.

June 17, 2016 at 11:55 am (1 week ago)

I do not recommend Fortiflora. The first ingredient is animal digest. Animal digest is a flavor enhancer (it’s what’s sprayed on dry food to enhance palatability) and is produced by the chemical or enzymatic hydrolysis of clean animal tissue that has not undergone decomposition. Sound disgusting? It is. It’s also why cats love the flavor.

• Ashley Zarth
            June 17, 2016 at 11:58 am (1 week ago)

I’m glad I ordered Dr. Goodpet’s product, but I wish FortiFlora wasn’t the one that the vet’s recommend and is so easily found when you are not sure which one to get 🙁 Thank you again for helping!

• Patti
            June 17, 2016 at 2:24 pm (1 week ago)

I ordered Dr. Goodpet’s on Amazon.

• Sara Thomas
            June 21, 2016 at 11:56 am (5 days ago)

Just curious…may I ask why cats need digestive enzymes? (My shelter adopted cats were fed Orijen Regional Red, now Farmina Wild Boar along with Weruva or Tikki Cat wet – – granted their not hunting for themselves.)

June 21, 2016 at 12:04 pm (5 days ago)

Cats don’t need digestive enzymes, Sara, but they can help with nutrient absorption.

• Sara Thomas
            June 21, 2016 at 12:04 pm (5 days ago)

Also, I do not understand how the Mercola product can help both a cat and a dog in one formulation. Can you help me understand?

(Also, in my previous comment, my cell phone keyboard auto corrected “they’re” to “their”; I meant to imply, my cats are not getting natural enzymes from their prey.)

Thanks in advance for your advice 🙂

June 21, 2016 at 3:29 pm (5 days ago)

Probiotics are probiotics. There’s no difference between human products and pet products, and certainly no difference between cat and dog products. The only difference between different brands and formulas will be in the concentration of live bacteria or the type of strains they contain. I don’t recommend probiotics made for human consumption because many formulas add in other supplements, such as FOS.

June 17, 2016 at 5:55 am (1 week ago)

I’m so glad this information has been helpful, Ashley!

3. Vicki Moore
    June 16, 2016 at 10:57 am (1 week ago)

I adopted two full grown Egyptian Mau’s from a breeder several years ago when they were four. I had an older Main Coon and the vet advised to “feed for the neediest” so I switched them from their normal Royal Canin to Science Diet. One of the cats has struggled with constants respiratory issues, and I recently switched them to Origin Cat & Kitten, which amazingly seems to have alleviated his respiratory issues somewhat. I just bought Weruva canned food from Amazon based on your recommendations. Do you think his respiratory issues could be linked to food?

4. Scott
    June 15, 2016 at 1:58 pm (2 weeks ago)

Hi Ingrid-

After full checkup and bloodwork, my cats are fortunately healthy, but the vet wants to try a limited protein diet to try to ease their sensitive stomachs. She wants to prescribe Royal Canin Pea and Rabbit, but I worry that there are better options out there that are also less expensive (and available w/o prescription). I want to do what’s best for them, so I was hoping to get a 3rd party opinion. Thank you for all you do Ingrid!

June 15, 2016 at 4:50 pm (2 weeks ago)

Unless your cats have a true food allergy, there’s really no reason for a limited protein diet, Scott.

5. Linda A.
    June 15, 2016 at 12:55 pm (2 weeks ago)

Sorry, but there is absolutely NOTHING WRONG with feeding a cat dry food! I’ve been feeding my cat dry food (Purina SmartBlend with real poultry as the first ingredient) since I’ve had her, and she THRIVES on it! She’s sleek and slender, and her coat is beautifully shiny! And carbs or not, kibble is STILL better for her teeth than that sticky wet food!

June 16, 2016 at 6:00 am (1 week ago)

I encourage you to do more research about why dry good is not good for cats in the long term, Linda. If this article didn’t convince you, please visit Dr. Lisa Pierson’s site, catinfo.org.

• Ashley Zarth
      June 16, 2016 at 2:48 pm (1 week ago)

To specifically address what is good for their teeth (I initially learned this from Jackson Galaxy’s website, but did a simple google “what food is best for cat’s teeth?” and found this website/article that says the same thing in more detail:

Raw food is what is good for their teeth (dry is not).

“When eating raw meat and bones, the act itself of chewing and gnawing serves as a polisher of the surface of the teeth preventing the buildup of plaque and tartar.
      Read more at http://feline-nutrition.org/answers/answers-what-dry-food-does-to-your-cats-teeth

6. Patti
    June 3, 2016 at 10:24 am (3 weeks ago)

Hi Ingrid….. Boy, do I ever need help! I have completely taken your advice and feed my two cats only wet food. I’m actually a neurotic now :). Avoiding carrageenan and guar gum has led me to Tiki Cat, Nature’s Variety Instinct, and Weruva pouches. They get 1/2 6 oz. can each Tiki ( only the two chicken varieties) in the morning, 1/2 5.5 oz. can of NV (I rotate rabbit, venison, and lamb) in the early evening, and a half 3 oz. pouch of Weruva Cats in the Kitchen chicken with pumpkin sauce right before bed time. I do give my Bengal 1/4 c of Orijen on occasion because she prefers dry over wet, and I do believe Orijen is the best dry food out there. My problem is the cost of all this food. I am spending over $200 a month on wet food because I can’t find food that compares to the quality of the food I buy them. I am getting another kitten at the end of this month and this means by food bill will jump to over $300 a month. I just can’t do it. I totally trust your advice so I am asking you what higher quality/less expensive choices you can recommend. Thank you so much.

June 3, 2016 at 10:51 am (3 weeks ago)

I’m so glad you transitioned your cats to wet food! I know premium diets are more expensive than others, but you’re going to save money on vet bills in the long run, Patti. I really can’t in good conscience recommend any of the brands that I believe are of lesser quality. I recommend price-shopping, watching out for sales and buying larger quantities when your brands are on sale or when you find a good price. Companies like Petfooddirect.com frequently have sales. If you’re shopping at a local pet food store, they may offer customer loyalty discounts. You may also want to consider making your own food – that’s definitely less expensive, and you control the quality.

• Patti
        June 3, 2016 at 12:04 pm (3 weeks ago)

Thank you, Ingrid. It’s hard to compromise when I know I’m feeding the best. How do you feel about substituting one meal with Orijen dry? It may stretch my budget a bit.

• Marlene
          June 3, 2016 at 1:05 pm (3 weeks ago)

I was successful using Amazon prime pantry. It’s 15% off.

• Patti
            June 3, 2016 at 1:24 pm (3 weeks ago)

I just checked…it’s still about what I’m paying at $2.79 a can.
            Thank you.

• Patti
            June 3, 2016 at 1:24 pm (3 weeks ago)

Marlene, what brand do you buy?

June 3, 2016 at 2:40 pm (3 weeks ago)

If you absolutely must feed dry, I’d go with Nature’s Variety Instinct Raw Boost or Instinct Ultimate Protein, Patti.

• Patti
            June 3, 2016 at 3:53 pm (3 weeks ago)

Thanks. I’ll try to stick to only wet…just trying to stretch a dollar 🙂

• Patti
            June 3, 2016 at 3:56 pm (3 weeks ago)

You don’t care for Orijen kitten and cat dry? I read somewhere that it’s one of the best dry foods.

June 3, 2016 at 4:05 pm (3 weeks ago)

Orijen’s cat and kitten formula has too many fish ingredients, and is lower in protein than Nature’s Variety.

• Jerilin
            June 3, 2016 at 4:23 pm (3 weeks ago)

Be very careful with any of the natural dry foods unless you carefully check the magnesium and phosphorus levels and add a little Wysong Biotic Ph- or DL-Methionine. Especially with male cats. Crystals, especially struvite, and stones and blockages on dry food is a big concern. I was feeding my cats part dry part wet including nature’s variety ultimate protein and orijen dry cat and kitten and one of my male cats got a complete struvite crystal blockage and bladder infection. So actually if you must feed dry Royal Canin Veterinary SO Index labeled diets are the way to go unless you want to meticulously compare their SO Index phosphorus and magnesium levels with the natural dry food label of the food you want to feed. If not feeding a urinary formulated food you must also use a dipstick and plastic bead cat litter (so the pee doesn’t soak in) to closely monitor your cats urine pH and adjust accordingly (with the Wysong pH product or other product with DL-Methionine)

I would feed my blocked cat the wet canned offerings of these urinary diets but he will not touch any of them with a ten foot spoon.

This is the second of my cats who has gotten blocked on “natural” dry food. Wet is FOR SURE the best option or raw. If,however, you have a cat who must be on a urinary diet and only eats the dry offering and your other cats are eating his food anyway be sure to feed the food formulated to not cause problems (must have low mag. and phosphorus and DL-Methionine in it) to all your cats to avoid high vet bills. If you just feed it to the sick cat who needs it and not the others be prepared for a lot of work as the sick cat may just sneak the other types of food your other cats eat.
            Again as a preventative from not having to do any of this just never feed dry!! But if you must urinary formula only especially with male cats. My cats like Royal Canin over hills and the ingredients are a little better.

• Samantha
            June 3, 2016 at 4:32 pm (3 weeks ago)

I had the same issue, my little man was developing crystals on his dry addict diet (natures variety instinct Raw chicken) and the vet put him on hills rx s/d, but I’ve since switched him to all wet and I’m monitoring him this way. My fat girl is losing weight and they both seem to enjoy their wet foods 🙂

• Patti
            June 3, 2016 at 4:40 pm (3 weeks ago)

Wow!!!!! Thank you. My male only eats wet. It’s my female who haunts me for dry, but I give very little.

7. Heather
    May 25, 2016 at 10:12 pm (1 month ago)

Thank you so much for your article! I have a two year old cat that we fed Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover’s soul. She’d get 1/2 can of wet food in the morning for breakfast and dry food at night. She’d throw up the dry food so I went with all wet food. It got to where she couldn’t keep the wet food down. After some research we switched to Weruva Funky Chicken. We tried the different chicken kinds and she really liked the peas and carrots in the funky chicken so we’ve stick with that. She’s about 8 pounds and we feed her 3 oz in the morning and 3 oz at night. She seemed to be hungry all the time, so we decided to add a third feeding and space them every 8 hours. That helped with the hunger but the other day we got woke to a kitty that had pooping issues all over the house and she just didn’t seem to feel well. We’ve cut back to 2 feedings again and she’s back to normal, except she’s hungry mid day. My daughter wants to use a dry food to supplement her mid day but I don’t want to do that to her again. Any recommendations for what we can do to help with the hunger?

May 26, 2016 at 5:28 am (1 month ago)

I would increase the amounts you feed with the two meals, Heather. Alternately, you could offer her some freeze dried meat treats mid-day.

• Heather
        May 26, 2016 at 4:42 pm (1 month ago)

Thank you, I will try your suggestions!

8. Ashley Zarth
    May 23, 2016 at 4:51 pm (1 month ago)

For Soulistic, is “Good Karma Chicken Dinner – In Gravy” the flavor/option you would recommend? One of my cats is eating the Weruva “Peking Ducken – With Chicken & Duck in Gravy,” but I plan to switch her due to the cost (I have several cats and several sick pets).

May 23, 2016 at 5:07 pm (1 month ago)

Yes, the Karma Chicken is the Soulistic flavor I recommend, Ashley.

9. Marlene
    May 23, 2016 at 2:14 pm (1 month ago)

Hi Ingrid, what is your opinion on Pure Balance, which as I understand is Walmart’s brand? The ingredients list on the wet food looks pretty good.

May 23, 2016 at 2:26 pm (1 month ago)

Unfortunately, I don’t know anything about this brand, Marlene (where it’s sourced, manufactured, etc.) It does look like the canned food contains carrageenan, so I would not recommend it.

• Marlene
        May 23, 2016 at 4:39 pm (1 month ago)

My goodness! I don’t know how I missed that when looking at the Pure Balance food in the store. Back to the drawing board on something my kitties will enjoy that I will feel good giving them.

10. Lorena
    May 23, 2016 at 12:55 pm (1 month ago)

Hi Ingrid. I’d love to hear your opinion about the wet food Lotus and Addiction. These are two nearly new brands and I just purchased some for my cats.

May 23, 2016 at 1:22 pm (1 month ago)

Addiction is on my list, with a caveat that it’s a little higher in carbs than I like to see. I don’t like Lotus – too many veggies added.

• Jerilin
        May 23, 2016 at 1:57 pm (1 month ago)

What’s wrong with Lotus? Most of their food I agree wouldn’t be my top pick..but they do have Turkey stew for cats and pork stew for cats under their “just juicy” line. This line is their best option. These have very few veggies. (Only carrots) and very simple ingredients. They are slightly higher carbs but still less or equal to Soulistic chicken and pumpkin and the like. It’s a very good option in my rotation and all 4 of my cats love it.
        A new one I’m trying from Chewy is Petcurrean Go! Duck. Trying this to replace Merrick L.I.D. Duck which my cats hate.

Also frustrated with Weruva. I feed several of their varieties but why is synthetic vitamin k in several of their cats in the kitchen pouches and then the canned cats in the kitchen ones have three types of gums?! So frustrating. I feed Steak Frites from Tru lux line and pumpkin licking chicken and love me tender pouches to try to avoid these issues. I hope other customers are complaining and they will clean up their ingredient list. Also TOO MANY fish flavors from Weruva (and Tiki Cat) I feed the fish occasionally but avoid as a regular staple for thyroid and then the mercury issues.

I was looking into those bravo canned foods on chewy but am concerned about their recall history? Have you tried these?
        Love your site and reading the comments here!

May 23, 2016 at 2:12 pm (1 month ago)

The last time I looked at Lotus, I found that it’s higher in carbs than what I like to see in a food. You are correct that menadione (vitamin K) is a controversial ingredient in pet food. I only recommend the Weruva poultry flavors. Bravo’s canned formulas are on my recommended list.

• Jerilin
            May 23, 2016 at 6:01 pm (1 month ago)

Did your cats like Bravo canned? Is their a specific flavor you’d recommend?

Do you know what the carb percentage is in Go! (Petcurrean) Shine Duck pate? It lists the as fed carbs as 2% on their website and the dry matter as 9%. I forget if dry matter is the one that matters but do have the coversion formula from G.A. to actual percentages written down somewhere haha.

Do you know anything about Against the Grain canned cat foods? The ones I was specifically looking at on chewy were the chicken club and Chicken samba.

May 23, 2016 at 6:52 pm (1 month ago)

You can calculate approximate carbohydrate contents by adding all of the listed nutrients and subtracting the total from 100% – this will give you a fairly accurate number.

I don’t recall without looking what flavors Bravo offers – I never recommend fish flavors for the reasons outlined in this post, but all other proteins should be okay.

11. Marlene
    May 20, 2016 at 4:52 pm (1 month ago)

Hi Ingrid. I feed my cats Rad Cat currently. They love it, but it’s pricey. My vet is not comfortable with homemade raw. Do you know if my cats would get the same benefit if I went with half high quality canned and half Rad Cat?

May 21, 2016 at 5:44 am (1 month ago)

You may want to give Darwin’s a try, Marlene. It’s half the price of Radcat, and my girls go crazy for it. And it’s certainly okay to feed half raw and half canned, but I wouldn’t mix the two together. You could feed one meal raw, and one meal canned.

12. adriana
    May 20, 2016 at 4:11 pm (1 month ago)

Hello I was just want to start off by saying what an interesting article. I really learned a lot! Ok to my ?, I have a 13 year old kitty/best friend has been struggling with constipation on and off for about 6 years now. Most recently (about 4 years) the vet had to perform an enema and suggested I started feeding him Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Gastrointestinal Fiber Response Dry Cat. It “worked” as he got better but had to perfume another anema last year about this time. come now 2016, I just had to take him again to the vet for another anema as he was not going to the bathroom to poop and I saw him struggling to defecate. Lost story short lol they are now telling me he has Megacolon. I am freaking out and doing as much research as I can as this vet doesn’t seem to put me at ease about all this. I keep coming back or reading about a raw food diet. I was wondering what you recommend, suggestion any advice you can give me would be much appreciate it.

May 20, 2016 at 4:27 pm (1 month ago)

A grain-free canned or raw diet can help some cats with megacolon. I would also try adding a good probiotic to his food. You can also try canned pumpkin – it helps some cats with constipation. Here’s more information on megacolon: http://consciouscat.net/2013/08/05/megacolon-in-cats/

13. Brandi
    May 20, 2016 at 12:58 pm (1 month ago)

I need advice. We adopted a male cat that is about 5 years old, a few months ago that was to strictly be on a raw food diet. He is being fed Rad Cat raw food. When the shelter had him he had diarrhea and they started him on Rad Cat, at the same time he was on some short term medication. His poop went back to normal and we were allowed to adopt him with the terms that we keep him on this food. Now two month later he is either refusing his food of throwing it up immediately after eating. He’s got diarrhea too. He otherwise is very happy and seems fine but I don’t know what to do. Before we got him he had one last vet visit and they said he got a clean bill of health. Everything I read says raw food is the best so I’m not sure where to turn now 🙁 Any advise or direction for me to go next?? Thank you so much.

May 20, 2016 at 4:24 pm (1 month ago)

You need to take your kitty to a vet, Brandi. A lot can change for a cat in five months, and what’s going on may have nothing to do with his diet.

• Amy
      May 20, 2016 at 4:53 pm (1 month ago)

Hey Brandi, that sounds like what was happening with my boy cat, Jasper. He may be nauseous and not want to eat because of that. I took my cat to an internal specialist who diagnosed him with IBD and prescribed him cisapride and zantac 2x daily. The cisapride, while usually intended to treat megacolon, helps keep his gut motility up instead of vomiting his food back up. The zantac helps reduce his build up of stomach acid (he was frequently vomiting his breakfast up). As Ingrid suggested, I would take him to a vet! My boy Jasper also seemed fine and happy based on appearances, except for his frequent vomiting.

14. ro-jean smith
    May 19, 2016 at 5:14 pm (1 month ago)

I have 5 cats, one is 25+ years old; another weighs nearly 30 lb; another has an Oedipus complex; one is very jealous of another, and one (the mother) who is the only normal one, ha. Plus one feral male that comes and goes where and whenever he pleases and is the healthiest of all. Diet is my main concern because it is affecting each one, except the feral. If I start preparing their food, will I be able to purchase taurine and, if so, how do I measure it to be safe?

Thank you for your website.