The Best Food for Your Cat: My Recommendations

cat with food bowl

If you’ve read this blog for any length of time, you know that I’m passionate about species-appropriate nutrition for cats. Cats are obligate carnivores, and they need meat not only to survive, but to thrive. The optimal diet for a cat is a properly formulated raw, home-cooked or grain-free canned diet.

Never feed dry food

Cats shouldn’t eat dry food; even the grain-free dry varieties are too high in carbohydrates.

And contrary to the myth that just won’t die, dry food does not clean your cat’s teeth. Most cats don’t chew their kibble long enough for any of the scraping action that is the theory behind this myth to kick in. What little they do chew shatters into small pieces. Some pet food manufacturers offer a “dental diet” that is made up of larger than normal sized kibble to encourage chewing, but in my years at veterinary practices, I’ve seen many cats swallow even those larger size pieces whole. Additionally, dry food leaves a carbohydrate residue in the cat’s mouth that actually encourages growth of tartar and plaque.

Articles about feline nutrition, and one-on-one consultations

You can find many of the articles I’ve written about this topic in the Feline Nutrition section right here on this site. I also provide one-on-one consultations if you need help with transitioning your cat to a healthier diet.

What I look for in a food

• Protein is listed as the first ingredient on the label, and the meat/poultry used is fit for human consumption. If the meat is organic, that’s even better.
  • The food is grain-free (no rice, barley, or any other grains. Even though these are considered healthy in human nutrition, cats’ digestive tracts are not designed to digest the unnecessary carbs).
  • The food does not contain by-products, corn, soy, or any other fillers.
  • Ideally, I’d like to see no carrageenan in the food. Some of the brands on the list below have carrageenan in some of their flavors, so check labels carefully.
  • Ideally, I’d like a food to be GMO-free. Some of the brands on the list below may contain GMO’s.

Avoid fish-based foods

A word about fish: most cats love fish-based foods. I recommend using them sparingly or avoiding them altogether. Sadly, much of the fish that goes into pet food is contaminated with heavy metals and other toxins. (On a side note, that is also true for fish sold for human consumption.) Fish used in pet food manufacturing often contains whole fish, guts and bones, which can increase phosphorus levels of the food. This can be a problem for cats with kidney disease. Some cats are sensitive to fish-based diets and develop urinary tract problems that resolve when fish is removed from their diet. Additionally, fish based foods may contain menadione, a synthetic form of vitamin K, which has been banned by the FDA for use in human supplements.

My recommendations

I am often asked what brands I recommend. Unfortunately, there are many diets on the market that sound good based on what the pretty packaging says, but when you take a closer look at the label, you realize that there’s not much substance behind the marketing claims. The brands listed below are foods that I either currently feed to Allegra and Ruby, or have fed to them in the past. This list is not meant to be exclusive, and it does not mean that there aren’t other really good diets out there. It just means that these brands are the ones I’m comfortable with after doing thorough research.

I recommend the following (listed in no particular order):

Grain-free canned diets

Weruva. Read my full review of this brand here.

Nature’s Variety Instinct Canned. Please be aware that the rabbit in Nature’s Variety’s canned and raw forumulas is sourced from China and Italy. Nature’s Variety employs a US trained food scientist to oversee rabbit sourcing. May 2014 update: I believe Nature’s Variety now sources their rabbit from France, but I have not been able to get confirmation when products on the shelves will only contain rabbit sourced from there, rather than from China.

Bravo Canned

Nature’s Logic Canned

Hound and Gatos

Tiki Cat. I only recommend the poultry-based flavors.

Soulistic. This brand is exclusively sold by Petco (and also available from Amazon), but is produced under the same processing standards as Weruva.

Addiction I only recommend the carrageenan free formulas. They are a bit higher in carbs than I like to see, but I still consider it a good brand.

Wild Calling

Merrick Merrick was bought out by Purina in 2015. Company representatives assured me that they will continue to operate independently, and that the sourcing and the formulas will not change. I’ll be keeping a close eye on this brand, and will remove it from this list if I no longer feel comfortable with it.

Ziwi Peak

Raw diets

Primal Pet Foods I like these diets, but I have found that the formulas seem to vary a bit from batch to batch. If you have a finicky eater, this may become a problem.

Rad Cat

Feline’s Pride

Stella and Chewy’s

Dehydrated raw diets

The Honest Kitchen

Stella and Chewy’s

Additional Reading

How to wean your cat off dry food

How to get finicky cats to eat

How to read a pet food label

Feeding your cat: know the basics of feline nutrition by Dr. Lisa Pierson

Feline Nutrition

Cooking for your cat: how to make a balanced homemade diet

Kidney failure and diet in cats

New Dr. Goodpet banner

Photo: istockphoto

376 Comments on The Best Food for Your Cat: My Recommendations

1. Linda Uno
    November 20, 2015 at 10:27 am (5 days ago)

I purchased Weruva Funky Chunky 24/5.5-Ounce based on your review and the fact it was a best-seller on I didn’t realize it was a gravy vs pate food which, had I known, would have tried a more substantial flavour. Anyway, my cat doesn’t think that much of it, having walked away after a minute or so. She did go back and eat some more (only because she was really hungry) but when given a choice of Weruva or Friskie’s (anything fish) she goes for the Friskie’s. And I mean, really goes for the Friskies. So much for wasting my money on Weruva. From a human standpoint, I personally don’t like chicken but love fish and beef; so maybe like human, like cat!

November 20, 2015 at 11:15 am (5 days ago)

I’d encourage you to keep trying to get your cat to eat brands with better ingredients, and save fish flavors as only a special treat, for all the reasons mentioned in this article.

2. Erika
    November 14, 2015 at 7:32 pm (2 weeks ago)

I went to Pet Co today to pick up some Soulistic, based on your recommendation. My cat had been getting Wellness, but I want to switch because of the carrageenan. In an ideal world, I would love to feed him Nature’s Variety Instinct because he loves it and I like it’s ingredients but it’s just too expensive for me to buy every time. I generally do a rotational-type diet but usually buy more of one kind of food. I was disappointed to see that only 2 of their varieties did not have fish. Is your recommendation for Soulistic based on these two varieties or do you recommend the whole line?

November 15, 2015 at 6:51 am (2 weeks ago)

I only recommend the two poultry flavors, Erika.

3. Angad Ishar
    November 3, 2015 at 7:27 pm (3 weeks ago)

Hello Ingrid you say that even grain free dry food is not good for cats. We give our cat Core Wellness original formula grain free once a day in between 2 wet food meals. Do you think that we should stop this? She is a domestic short hair and is 7 months old. I am a first time cat owner and I want to make sure she is getting the best nutrition. Thank you

November 4, 2015 at 6:34 am (3 weeks ago)

Eliminating all dry food is one of the best things you can do for your cat’s health, Angad.

• Bonnie
        November 4, 2015 at 1:38 pm (3 weeks ago)

If you just feed your cat canned food their stools are too soft and they need dry food too. I don’t believe feeding them just canned food is enough. If you mix a little dry food with their canned food then their stools are firmer. If my cats eat all their canned food up, then they munch on the dry food, which I buy premium, and never fish based.

November 4, 2015 at 2:06 pm (3 weeks ago)

Generally, cat who eat dry food have larger stools because they cant absorb the carbs in dry food. Once you switch to all canned or raw food, the stools become smaller and firmer. Dry food has absolutely no benefit for cats.

• Sharyl
      November 22, 2015 at 7:28 pm (3 days ago)

Hi Erika,

I have had cats only for 20+ years and they mainly had dry food, until I changed vets (found cat only wellness center) and the first thing I was told was NO dry food. I went home and picked up the dry food. Within 3 days of eating the healthy canned food ALL 5 cats had more energy and were more alert. One who had a huge constipation issue that required numerous enema’s and medication was COMPLETELY off all medication within 1 month. I personally do not give my babies dry food of any kind. For treats they get freeze dried turkey hearts and chicken. I am also trying to introduced more raw food like RadCat. I hope this helps.

November 23, 2015 at 7:42 am (3 days ago)

I always love hearing how quickly cats’ health improves after all dry food is removed from their diet. Thank you for sharing your experience, Sharyl. It’s remarkable, isn’t it!

• Sharyl
          November 23, 2015 at 3:13 pm (2 days ago)

Hi Ingrid, it is incredible. I cannot reinforce your recommendation for either raw (working on getting the other 4 into it) or canned only.

4. Missy
    October 28, 2015 at 7:40 pm (4 weeks ago)

Hello Ingrid,
    My cat is 7 years old. Started vomiting bit by bit over the past few months. This only happens in the morning and right after she eats. This can happen 2 days in a row and then it stops and picks up again. This only happens in the mornings. She does eat very fast. I tried to feed her only a bit at a time over 30 mins or so and seems to help. From my research and readings I believe that a change of diet and finding a way to slow her down (as she gorges the food) will solve the issue.
    She has been eating Iams dry food for the past years. I would like to start her on a healthier diet. Can you recommend a food that I could find here in Canada (Quebec)? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Many thanks!

October 29, 2015 at 5:52 am (4 weeks ago)

I would have your cat checked out by your vet if she hasn’t had a check up in a while. Feeding smaller meals and a better quality diet will probably address what you’re seeing, but it’s always better to be safe. Unfortunately, I’m not familiar with what brands are available in Canada. All the brands I recommend in this post are major brands, so I would imagine that you can get all of them there (or order them from Amazon.)

5. Jennifer S
    October 27, 2015 at 5:09 pm (4 weeks ago)

I just took a cat from a animals foster. What food is the best for him? I have no idea, this is the first cat for me. I just want him to be happy, healthy and full of energy. Internet is full of advice, i’m confused.

October 28, 2015 at 5:44 am (4 weeks ago)

Did you read the post, Jennifer? You’ll find all of the information you need to keep your new kitty healthy and happy.

6. Aly
    October 27, 2015 at 4:56 am (4 weeks ago)

Hi, we have a 10 month old Tabby x Mainecoon/rag doll. he is rather large for a ‘kitten” but as you could imagine a Mainecoon would be.. he is approx 5kg but long and tall. he certainly doesn’t look over weight. We feed him 50 grams of raw roo meat morning & evening is this enough or too much? he scoffs it down really quick and meows for more! I have read about weaning him off of the dry food, which I am going to start doing soon, as I have been letting him “graze” on it as he wants/needs it. but I have just learnt that this is no good for him. This is my 3rd cat in 20yrs.. our last baby lived to a ripe old age of 19yrs..he was fed on raw roo meat & dry biscuits. he passed away last year as a result of a tick bite which weakend his heart. :-(.

• Aly
        October 27, 2015 at 9:25 pm (4 weeks ago)

Thank you.

7. Alex
    October 14, 2015 at 7:32 pm (1 month ago)

Hi, I have a male cat that has had some urinary tract problems and the vet recommended feeding him urinary tract food. We have been feeding him Purina’s Pro Plan Focus Urinary Tract Formula(Wet Food Only), but he refuses to eat it. We have another cat that eats different food because she pukes up the urinary food. We do feed them in different rooms, but our male cat always wants to eat the other cats food and not his own. I’m worried that if he stops eating the urinary tract food he will have problems again. Do you know of any good urinary tract wet food? Thanks very much :)

8. Sabrina
    October 14, 2015 at 10:34 am (1 month ago)

My Abigail was loving the Merrick limited ingredient but I was saddened to learn they were acquired by Purina. I don’t think I will be feeding her Merrick much longer.
    She did like Wild Calling, but I read online a link between Wild Calling and Evangers. Do you have information regarding this?
    Thank you for a wonderful and extremely informative site.

October 14, 2015 at 12:06 pm (1 month ago)

I think Wild Calling is made at the same facility as Evanger’s, but I’m not sure, Sabrina.

9. Deerz
    October 5, 2015 at 7:28 pm (2 months ago)

Thank you for this guideline…However i live in Egypt and all those brands arent available for us… there any substitute that i can make at home, over here i can only get my cats dry food and am really worried about their health.
    please let me know

• Deerz
        October 6, 2015 at 5:18 pm (2 months ago)

The only brands we have are Whiskas, Friskies, Fancy Feast, Meow mix and Miglior Gatto.
        I will try to follow these recipes though, thank you so much for your help.

• Holly
          October 21, 2015 at 11:46 am (1 month ago)

If those are the only brands available to you, homemade is definitely your best option in making sure your kitties have a healthy diet. Good luck!

10. Gina
    October 5, 2015 at 1:56 pm (2 months ago)

Hi ! Your website is helpful, thankyou. My two 3yr. old Birman girls have been eating Wellness Core canned for 3 years, I’m trying to find a better food “no carrageenan/potatoes..etc.” I called Merrick, and they did not have the information on carb. amounts in the Limited Ingredient Turkey canned. My DMB calculations say over 16% carbs, which seems high ! I may be wrong? I’ve narrowed my choices to this new Merrick canned, or Wild Calling ? The Wild Calling has “3 different gums in it”??
    I will be rotating or topping the food with Stella & Chewys turkey or chicken, they love it, just too expensive to feed full time. Thankyou

October 5, 2015 at 4:49 pm (2 months ago)

To calculate approximate carbohydrate contents, simply add all of the listed nutrients and subtract the total from 100% – this will give you a fairly accurate number. I just did this calculation for the Merrick LED duck formula, and unless my math is wrong, it’s 5.4% carbs.

11. Elaine
    October 4, 2015 at 9:50 pm (2 months ago)

I have been sharing my experiences with switching my cats onto a better diet with fellow cat ladies. Our question collectively was if going dry food free applicable to dogs as well?

October 5, 2015 at 9:20 am (2 months ago)

I’m not a dog expert, but I can’t imagine that kibble is any healthier for dogs than it is for cats. It’s about as far removed from whole food as you can get.

12. Linda
    October 3, 2015 at 7:32 pm (2 months ago)

One of my cats has many food allergies (all poultry, all red meats, dairy, eggs, wheat, that I’ve identified so far) along with numerous seasonal and environmental allergies. It has been difficult finding foods that he can eat and my other cat will eat (she’s prone to developing food aversions). I feed a combination of wet and dry. Feeding them separately doesn’t work well, as both nibble all day. For a while, I was alternating among rabbit, fish, and venison (primarily Natural Balance Limited Ingredient diets). A couple months ago, she developed an aversion to venison, so I’ve been searching for recommendations for additional foods to try.

I’ve found that ingredient lists alone aren’t enough, and my allergy-prone cat will react to foods that seem like they should be fine (such as Nature’s Variety Instinct Rabbit). I was wondering if anyone has suggestions for high-quality, novel limited ingredient/single protein cat foods. Thanks!

October 4, 2015 at 6:26 am (2 months ago)

Merrick has a new line of limited ingredient diets out, Linda. You may also want to consider a home prepared diet, given how many restrictions you’re dealing with. I would encourage you to eliminate the dry and go to meal feeding for both cats.

• Janet
        October 4, 2015 at 7:23 pm (2 months ago)

Hi, I just came across this raw food store for our pets- it’s called My Pet Carnivore, located in Indianapolis, IN. (Their web site is the same plus .com) I counted 14 different meats to choose from, including exotics. They have course and fine grind and add 10% organ and 10% bone to their grind. This store is actually close to where I live and I am anxious to check it out this week. I’m new to raw, so not sure about all sources available to shop and this is the first website I’ve visited. It looks and sounds great, soon I’ll see for myself. They will even deliver monthly to 11 different states, Ohio to Nebraska, and Wisconsin to Tennessee.
        Ingrid, do you have any comments about this site ? Also which site(s) do you recommend? Thanks :)

October 5, 2015 at 9:23 am (2 months ago)

I took a quick look at the site, Janet. It looks like you’ll need to add in supplements with these meats, check with them directly to be sure. If you’re looking to make your own raw food, Hare Today is also a good source for meat.

13. Rachel
    September 30, 2015 at 9:22 pm (2 months ago)

Hello, I have an overweight cat and was curious as to which brand you would recommend (or maybe even a mixture of brands). He’s a six year old neutered male weighing in at 20 pounds. I own three other cats who are all at a healthy weight, but I’d like to switch them all to a more nutritious food. I visited the vet this evening and she recommended that I keep him on a dry, weight control diet. From what I’ve been researching the past few days, I’m really doubting her advice and think I should opt for an all-wet diet. Any recommendations on the amount of calories he should be getting each day would be greatly appreciated as well. He’s an indoor cat; relatively active; we generally play with a laser pointer for about 10 minutes each night.

14. Janet
    September 30, 2015 at 6:30 am (2 months ago)

Hi, I am very surprised to see that in the last 2 weeks you have recommended a Merrick brand cat food. Are you aware that they were recently bought out by Purina? This info comes from

September 30, 2015 at 9:53 am (2 months ago)

I am very much aware of this, Janet, and I’m keeping a close eye on the brand. My contact at Merrick has assured me that nothing will change as far as sourcing and production of the food is concerned. Time will tell. I will certainly update if this changes.

15. Elaine
    September 30, 2015 at 2:52 am (2 months ago)

Thank you for your recommendations! The cats seem to love Soulistic.
    My final question is variety or the same type of flavor? There were so many choices to select from, so I bought one can of each flavor and variety. The cats seemed to prefer some more versus the other flavors. When I asked the retail representative at the pet store, they said like humans, cats like variety. What is your expert opinion on that? Is it ok to mix it up for them?

September 30, 2015 at 6:02 am (2 months ago)

I agree that variety is a good thing for cats, Elaine. It’s also a good idea to feed a variety of flavors and even brands so your cat doesn’t get “stuck” on any one brand. Brands change, formulas change, and you don’t want a kitty who will go on a hunger strike because the only food she likes tastes differently. Here’s more information on the benefits of a rotation diet:

16. Sarah
    September 27, 2015 at 6:32 pm (2 months ago)

I’m glad to have stumbled here. I’ve brought home a few cans of Instinct Raw’s rabbit formula, which he has licked the bowl clean, and I saw the raw version in my local Petco today. Is rabbit safe and nutritious for cats? He just absolutely does not like poultry, I’ve tried several different brands and forms (chicken, duck, turkey, shredded, pate, diced, even freeze-dried treats) and he hates every single one!

September 28, 2015 at 4:54 am (2 months ago)

Rabbit is a good choice for cats, Sarah.

17. Adrian
    September 15, 2015 at 7:20 am (2 months ago)

Hi, I was feeding my cat Weruva but it turns out that she has a chicken allergy and I’ve since switched to Addiction since they seem to specialize in “novel proteins”. However, I’m a bit concerned about the amount of potatoes they put in their food. My understanding is that potatoes won’t cause high blood sugar levels in cats but it’s still a carb. I was wondering what your thoughts are on this?

September 16, 2015 at 5:46 am (2 months ago)

Addiction is a little higher in carbs than I prefer, but I still consider it acceptable, Adrian. You may want to try Merrick’s new Limited Ingredient Line or Nature’s Variety Instinct Limited Ingredients. Both have a a couple of different “novel protein” formula, and both are lower in carbs than Addiction.

• Adrian
        September 16, 2015 at 2:23 pm (2 months ago)

Thanks for the response, after doing some more reading I’ve decided that I’ll keep getting her the Hunter’s Venison Stew since it has no potatoes along with Nature’s Variety. When she’s had more time to recover from the chicken allergy I’ll try and transition her to a raw diet.

September 16, 2015 at 2:40 pm (2 months ago)

Sounds like a good plan, Adrian.

18. Sammie
    September 6, 2015 at 8:31 am (3 months ago)

Nature’s Logic contains rosemary. Rosemary is actually very bad for animals (cats, dogs etc).
    It acts like caffeine to cats/dogs and has been linked to brain damage/fatality.

You clearly need to do some more research. Suggesting ANYTHING with rosemary in it for cats is just ignorant and dangerous.

There have been several studies into the effects of rosemary.

September 6, 2015 at 8:49 am (3 months ago)

There is a lot of misinformation about rosemary as used in pet food on the internet, much of it based on opinion and not fact. I’d encourage you to consider the sources of any studies you find carefully. You are correct that rosemary oil, like all essential oils, can be toxic to cats. Rosemary extract however, is of very low toxicity and may provide some health benefits. Pet food manufacturers generally use it as a natural preservative in very small doses. If you’re concerned about Nature’s Logic, please contact them directly for additional information.

19. Bonnie
    September 2, 2015 at 12:37 am (3 months ago)

Ingrid, after reading your recommendations for canned cat food, I feed one of my cats Wild Calling and Weruva pouches, the pumpkin & chicken. I wish I could get my other 3 off of Purina ProPlan canned food.

20. Lester
    August 17, 2015 at 11:19 am (3 months ago)

Hello, what are your thoughts about the brand ” Fussie Cat”? It is highly rated on, and the contents of the can are easily recognizable, which makes me believe the food is not as highly processed as others. Thanks!
    We choose the chicken with veggies, and sometimes the chicken and tuna varieties:

August 17, 2015 at 1:15 pm (3 months ago)

I don’t know much about this brand. At first glance, the ingredients look good. It is made in Thailand.

21. Cheryl Hoffman
    August 6, 2015 at 12:58 pm (4 months ago)

I have an 8 year old Siamese mix. He had been on Science diet sensitive stomach (dry) Since he was 1. I stared feeding him this because my other Siamese had stomach issues and this was vet recommended. He started to have occasional loose stool. I switched to Science diet grain free, which helped. We went on vacation and came back to a cat having three four loose stools a day. He was eating three times as much food as normal while we were gone. I took him to the vet. and they did a CBC the results came back perfect. She gave him a probiotic and de-wormer. Had me switch him to Pro Plan sensitive stomach gradually. Now he will not eat. I have made him chicken which he would eat for a few days, bought all kinds of cat food, baby food. I took him back to the vet she did x-ray’s and blood work again. This time his liver enzymes were slightly elevated. He is now on 1.5 cc of prednisone for the last nine days. He was 15 lbs. and got down to 10. He is now 11. He will eat steak now and tons of cat treats. He will only eat Purina tartar control tuna flavor. I have tried putting FortiFlora on his food. Doesn’t help. He wants to eat and gets very excited when I open a can of food, but when I give it to him he just walks away. He has also become very aggressive when we eat. He tries to take food off our plates and will knock the fork out of your hand. We are missing something. I don’t think he is getting nutrients when he does eat, so he is starving. I don’t know what to do try. Sorry such a long message. Appreciate your comments.

August 6, 2015 at 1:59 pm (4 months ago)

It sure sounds like he’s not absorbing nutrients when he does eat, Cheryl – that’s an awful lot of weight to lose, even over a period of time. I would probably pursue additional diagnostics, at a minimum, I’d an ultrasound since the x-rays didn’t show anything, possibly even consider a biopsy. You may also want to consider seeking a second opinion with a holistically oriented vet.

You may want to consider digestive enzymes and a good probiotic to see if that helps. I like the Dr. Goodpet product, which is both in one flavorless powder:

• Cheryl Hoffman
        August 6, 2015 at 5:11 pm (4 months ago)

Thank you Ingrid for your quick response. I have located a holistic clinic and am taking in Jazzy tomorrow. I have picked up his file and x-rays from my vet to take with me. Oh my he is eating on his own right now. Junk food treats and kibbles and bits. He only seems to like the low quality food. I went to Pet Smart and they didn’t carry Soulistic or any other brand you mentioned. Again thank you for the response I called my vet. yesterday and still haven’t heard back. She was top rated for our town.

22. Nancy McKechnie
    August 6, 2015 at 11:22 am (4 months ago)

A screen popped up that said I had all ready submitted my question.
    I’ve never been on this site before. I wanted to know if a raw diet works for a cat who is on a c/d prescription diet.

August 6, 2015 at 2:08 pm (4 months ago)

The commercial raw diets I recommend are complete and balanced for healthy cats, but for a cat with a history of urinary blockages, you want to work closely with a vet who is well-versed in nutrition to make sure you supplement the diet appropriately. Depending on what caused the blockage, you may need to add supplements to achieve the desired urinary ph value. If you can’t find a vet local to you, there are some holistic vets who will do remote nutritional consultations.

23. Campbell
    July 31, 2015 at 5:32 pm (4 months ago)

I have a 10 year old cat who I am trying get off dry food and onto an organic homemade or canned wet food only diet. The problem is he will not eat any wet food unless it’s in a patte form (completely blended) and I add water to it to make it more like a soup. He will only lick other kids of chunkier wet foods dry. He loves dry food (when I was still giving it to him) as well as hard treats and he’s been checked out by a vet and given a clean bill of health. What are some ways I can get him to CHEW his wet food? He will not eat wet food unless it’s soupy even if I mix it with harder types of food I know he loves (treats, etc…).

• Campbell
        August 2, 2015 at 11:28 pm (4 months ago)

Thank you for responding and for all the great advice in this blog. I feel like I have been doing everything suggested in the how-to article. I’ll just have go keep trying. :-)

• Leanna
      August 1, 2015 at 12:13 pm (4 months ago)

Campbell, I have had a similar concern with my cat who’s not warming up to chunky wet foods (backstory in comments below) – she also just licks up the moisture and much of the meat is left behind, and I keep adding water to make it soupy. You’ll see in Ingrid’s article that cats don’t really chew – they just swallow. I find my cat has an easier time licking up chunks when I’ve broken them up into tiny bits with my spoon or fork.

This is slightly off your original question, but could be worth a try. Soulistic brand makes a flavor in pouch form of solely pumpkin soup – my cats love it. You can add it to any type of food – pate, gelee, etc – to keep the food moist and still give your guy some flavor and nutrients. It’s supposed to help with digestive and urinary health.

Good luck!

• Campbell
        August 2, 2015 at 11:23 pm (4 months ago)

Thank you! I’ll try the Soulistic pouch soups! Great advice. :-)

• Christina
        September 24, 2015 at 3:46 pm (2 months ago)

Hmm…My cats chew. I actually hear them chewing their dry food. I also have a cat who doesn’t like wet food, and I’ve tried everything. She’ll eat a little bit, but only when I break it up with some water. I’ll have to ask my vet about the necessity of switching from dry to wet. My other cat–a kitten–has terrible smelling flatulence since eating wet food, and I’m hoping that when her digestive system gets used to the wet food, it’ll be back on track.

September 24, 2015 at 4:01 pm (2 months ago)

Unfortunately, many vets help perpetuate the myth that dry food cleans teeth, Christina. Try adding a good probiotic to your kitten’s food, it should help with her digestive issues.

24. Leanna
    July 30, 2015 at 9:34 pm (4 months ago)

Your website is incredibly informative and helpful – thank you!

I wonder if you have some advice for me and my finicky eater. I am trying to slowly move my two female 12yr old cats from dry food to canned/raw food diet. For 1.5 month I substituted dinner with Soulistic, fish varieties, which didn’t take them long to warm up to. I also want to stay away from fish-based food, but when I put a chicken flavor of Soulistic in front of them, they both short of ran away from it.

I am on my second month now of slowly substituting dry with wet food, now substituting breakfast, and I am trying other brands to find something non-fish-based they like. I have tried Inctinct Raw, Tiki, Merrick, and Natural Balance so far; Weruva and Wellness are coming up in the rotation.

One cat is moderately agreeable to what I put in front of her, but she doesn’t appear overly pleased by anything, since she eats half and walks away. The other cat barely eats anything I put down, except Soulistic… and even then I have to coerce her to keep eating over the period of about an hour until she finishes her bowl – which is only one heaping tablespoon to begin with. (And I don’t have time to hover over her when I need to get to work!) (And I know they need more than one tablespoon, but they won’t eat more than that.)

My obvious concerns are that they are stressed out with this dietary change and I risk the pickier eater being very underfed, or else resort back to the dry food she likes. This change originally came about because I have seen both cats having bowel discomfort and their poop is hard as rocks and sometimes painful to pass. I am hoping this dietary change is the answer to a simple dehydration and constipation issue, but I realize a larger medical issue could be a contributing factor. :/

Do you have recommendations for brands and flavors that are particularly delectable for picky eaters? Your stance on fish-free flavors aside, do you see continuing to use Soulistic as their primary source of food a good choice? Any additional thoughts?

Thanks for your time and reading my long-winded issue!

25. Trevor
    July 28, 2015 at 4:03 pm (4 months ago)

I have a 12 week old male kitten. Which canned food would you pick?

July 28, 2015 at 4:07 pm (4 months ago)

All of the foods on this list are appropriate for kittens – you just need to feed larger amounts and more frequently than you would feed an adult cat. Feed your kitten as much as he will eat, divided into three or four meals a day, until he’s about four to six months old, then you can start feeding him as an adult cat. The average adult cat will eat about 30 calories per pound of bodyweight. Please note that calories in these food vary widely.

• Trevor
        July 30, 2015 at 3:03 am (4 months ago)

So my kitten has never stopped eating the wet food I feed him. It can easily easy 3 oz a meal 3 times a day. This cat only weighs two pounds on the dot. It was starving when I found it and pretty young(maybe 6 weeks). Would this affect his appetite. I don’t want to feed it more food then I am because I worry its unhealthy. What would you recommend.

July 30, 2015 at 6:00 am (4 months ago)

Kittens from about 6 to 12 weeks of age should be fed four times a day, once they’re about 12 weeks old, you can back down to three times a day. At about 6 months, twice a day is sufficient. Kittens need more food per pound of body weight than adult cats. Feed her as much canned food as the kitten will eat up to about four months of age, divided into the three or four feedings per day. From four to six months, feed her about 2/3 of a 3-oz. can per pound of body weight per day, and from six months to a year, about half a 3-oz. can per pound per day. You’ll need to take your kitten’s size and activity level into account and adjust the amounts accordingly. When in doubt, consult with your vet.

26. Myriam
    July 24, 2015 at 4:27 pm (4 months ago)

I would like to cook for my lovely cat she is one year and 2 month, I have niticed that most cat food on pet shops are NOT GOOD, I would like to cook it for her, but I do,not know what ingredient are good.

27. Katie
    July 20, 2015 at 1:33 pm (4 months ago)

Hello! Your page has been so informative, which is fantastic, but also a little overwhelming! I have a few questions, but I want to make sure I give you all the information, so please excuse my long winded history!

I have three male cats (Mr. Ruffles – 11, Tom E. Cat – 7, and Oreo -4.) They all go to the vet regularly and have been very healthy. About 4 months ago, Oreo had a urinary blockage. He was in the animal hospital for several days, and when he got out, the vet prescribed Royal Canin Urinary S/O – both dry and wet and I was strongly encouraged to also get the Royal Canin dental food.

I followed the vet’s advice, but started researching cat foods and cat nutrition and I didn’t feel great about the Rx food. However, my husband was convinced that if we took Oreo off the S/O (even for a better quality food) the urinary blockage would come back (he believed that Rx meant that there was some therapeutic or medicinal ingredient) and his arguments swayed me to sticking with the Rx food.

Everything was going fine until July 4th weekend, when Oreo just stopped eating. He seemed interested in food, would approach his food bowl at feeding time, but after just sniffing or sampling a small bite, he would turn away. We went back to the vet and after running tests that came back negative – the vet determined that it was just an upset tummy and prescribed 1/2 a capsule of gastrex 2x per day and a change from Royal Canin Urinary S/O to Hill’s Z/D.

My husband was shocked that the vet would recommend stopping the S/O and expressed his concern that the blockage would happen again. The vet said that Oreo’s risk of crystals would not be increased by the switch and I think that flipped the switch for my husband. Apparently he had been listening to me all this time because he started questioning the need for an Rx food and pointed out that they are loaded with fillers, telling the vet that ‘we’ had been researching grain-free and raw food diets.

The vet seemed to get irritated by this, saying that she feeds her cat Hill’s and has no health problems and that she would not recommend a non-prescription food due to Oreo’s history.

We followed the gastrex recommendation, and Oreo has been great, eating like a champ (still on the S/O while we continue researching and trying to decide if we are going to jump right in to raw food or start with a high quality canned food.) Yesterday was his first day without the gastrex, and promptly threw up after both his morning and evening meal and today we are back to him not wanting to eat.

So… after all that… my questions are do you have a recommendation for our very best option to avoid a recurrence of the crystal blockage – or would any of the brands on your list of recommended foods be a good place to start? Do you have any suggestions for a probiotic or other supplement that might help Oreo’s upset tummy? And finally – a work friend swears by Wellness cat food (her cat had several crystal blockages before starting Wellness) – I know it’s not on your list, but I wondered what your thoughts were on it?

Thank you so much!!!

July 20, 2015 at 1:59 pm (4 months ago)

You have a lot of great questions, Katie! Unfortunately, that’s a bit more than I can address in a comment, but I’d be happy to provide individualized and detailed answers in a phone consultation!

Here are a few quick answers:

Sadly, far too many vets share your vet’s attitude toward nutrition: if it’s not made by a big pet food company, it can’t be good. Obviously, that’s not true. Here’s more general information on why prescription diets may not be a good choice:

There are other way to address the issue of urinary crystals, but it depends on the type of crystals Oreo had. The idea is to create a urinary ph that won’t encourage the formation of crystals. This can be achieved with diet alone, or with supplements. The last time I looked at Royal Canin SO, it was formulated by creates a moderately acidic ph of between 5.5 and 6.0

I recommend the Dr. Goodpet brand probiotic: Often, something as simple as adding a good probiotic to the diet can help with all sorts of tummy issues.

Wellness is not on my list of recommended brands because it contains carrageenan, and I prefer to steer clear of diets with this ingredient.

I hope this is enough to get you started!

28. Healthy
    July 11, 2015 at 8:48 pm (5 months ago)

If you were going to create a homemade recipe for a normal 4 year old cat, what would you use in the recipe?

29. Care For Your Cats
    July 8, 2015 at 4:46 am (5 months ago)

30. marize
    June 20, 2015 at 3:15 pm (5 months ago)

Help! My cat has pancreatitis and he cant have more than one percent fat in his diet. What brand of food do u reccomend?

June 20, 2015 at 3:35 pm (5 months ago)

I’m not aware of any diets that are less than 1% in fat and still contain adequate protein levels. You may want to work with a holistic veterinarian to have a diet formulated for your cat.

31. Mary Ellen
    June 20, 2015 at 10:07 am (5 months ago)

I have a cat that gets rashes from fish. I see you recommend against fish, but you also recommend Merrick. Merrick canned foods all include salmon oil. Do you know if any brand that does not include fish or fish oil–it can be way down on the ingredient list. Thank you.

June 20, 2015 at 12:06 pm (5 months ago)

I don’t know of any brands that don’t contain salmon oil off the top of my head. Unfortunately, you’ll have to read labels to know for sure.

32. Jean
    June 9, 2015 at 3:05 pm (6 months ago)

Hi Ingrid,

Would you recommend Primal Freeze-Dried Raw food? I am wondering my friend or cat sitter cannot handle frozen raw food when I am out of town for days. Also, my cat is intolerance to Primal beef formula and dislikes Turkey & Salmon; is it fine that she only eats Chicken? Your advice is highly appreciated.

June 9, 2015 at 4:43 pm (6 months ago)

I like the freeze-dried raw formulas, but not all cats like them. If your cat can only tolerate chicken, then I would definitely stick with that.

Why do you think your cat sitter or friend can’t handle raw? When I go away, I put single serving portions of raw food into individual containers, and leave a schedule for the cat sitter when she has to take them out of the freezer so they’ll be thawed in time for each meal. This way, it’s no more complicated for her than feeding canned food: simply thaw and serve. It’s actually less work than preparing a freeze-dried meal, which has to be rehydrated.

• Amanda
        June 10, 2015 at 4:19 pm (6 months ago)

On that note, people should be aware that switching from freeze-dried to the frozen form of the Raw food might come with unexpected results. My cat, who will basically eat anything with a hint of meat in it, had originally started out on the freeze-dried version. Had no problems getting her to eat it right off the bat. She practically lives for it.

However, when I realized there was a frozen form I decided to try a bag of that. Same end result, right? Hydrated, raw food. Turns out she was accustomed to the freeze-dried form and wouldn’t touch the freezer one.

TL;DR – whatever form you pick, switching to the other may waste some $$ on your end if the cat decides they prefer the freeze-dried version. I do prefer it, it’s pretty easy to hydrate with warm water, and I usually put a little extra in to ensure proper water intake.

June 10, 2015 at 4:22 pm (6 months ago)

You just never know when you switch food on a cat! The consistency of the freeze-dried rehydrated foods is very different from frozen (thawed) raw food, and we all know how fussy some cats can be about change.

33. susan obryan
    June 4, 2015 at 2:20 pm (6 months ago)

Do any of the brands that you recommend contain Wheat Gluten? Have been trying to avoid any that do due to the threat of Feline Diabetes.

June 4, 2015 at 4:40 pm (6 months ago)

Without looking at every single one of them, I can’t be sure, Susan. I’m pretty sure if a food is labeled grain-free, it can’t contain wheat of any kind, but I’d doublecheck labels if I were you.

34. Renee Farr
    May 31, 2015 at 1:21 am (6 months ago)

We are feeding out cat “Natural Balance Ultra Premium Indoor Formula Canned Cat Food”. He seems to really like it. Is this a good choice?

May 31, 2015 at 2:02 pm (6 months ago)

I do not recommend Natural Balance, Renee. They were bought out by Del Monte a few years back, and I am not sure whether they maintained the integrity of the formulas after the buyout.

35. Roxanne
    May 30, 2015 at 10:32 pm (6 months ago)

Hi Ingrid,

I’ve been feeding my cats Weruva’s B.F.F. pouches which are tuna based. It seems to be a big hit with them. I noticed you said to avoid menadione, but the B.F.F. pouches do contain ‘Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source of Vitamin K).’ Do you think I should try to switch them to another brand or one of Weruva’s other wet foods? What are your thoughts?

May 31, 2015 at 12:23 am (6 months ago)

I don’t recommend fish based foods as anything other than an occasional treat, Roxanne. I think there’s quite a bit of confusing information about vitamin K out there, but that has nothing to do with why I don’t like fish-based foods. Here’s more information:

36. Tonia
    May 22, 2015 at 1:38 am (6 months ago)

I have been feeding my cats Primal for years and have developed a love/hate relationship with it. All three are so much healthier now than when they were eating dry food — the change of diet even cleared up my older boy’s life-threatening bladder issues completely. However, they will only eat the Chicken/Salmon formula (I’ve tried the other flavors and the cats won’t even go near them), and the variation from batch to batch is frustrating. I have been known to hoard bags of a certain expiration date / batch number when I find one the cats like!

May 22, 2015 at 6:17 am (6 months ago)

I agree with you on the inconsistencies with Primal’s formulas, Tonia. It’s very frustrating.

37. honey
    May 20, 2015 at 6:44 am (6 months ago)

Hi, Ingrid

What’s your take on Orijen? Is it a brand you would recommend if asked to recommend a dry food brand?

May 20, 2015 at 7:29 am (6 months ago)

I really can’t in good conscience recommend a dry food for cats, Honey! However, if you must feed dry, Nature’s Variety Instinct Ultimate Protein is probably the best choice.

I have not taken a close look at Orijen in a while – the last time I looked, it was pretty high in carbs.

38. Melanie
    May 7, 2015 at 11:08 am (7 months ago)

I bought my first kitten while living and teaching English in China. It’s VERY hard to find decent food here. I can order imported online but it’s too expensive for me. I’ve been feeding her Royal Canine Kitten dry along with Mio9. It’s tuna based wet (I think from Thailand) and when I can afford it, I’ve tried Wellness, Weruva, and Merrick but it’s triple the price to ship this here than if I simply lived in the States.

The reason I give her Royal Canine kitten is because it’s the ONLY kitten specific food I can find here. The other brands are all for adult cats so although I want to wean her off dry, I figure I should keep her on the kitten formula for now. It’s manufactured in China and from France and the first ingredient is Rice so it’s not great. I’ve also noticed some vomiting lately which I’m not sure if it’s from the dry food or not.

May 7, 2015 at 11:38 am (7 months ago)

I would definitely discontinue the dry food, Melanie. If the vomiting continues, get your kitten checked out by a vet. You don’t want her to get dehydrated.

• Melanie
        May 7, 2015 at 6:51 pm (7 months ago)

I’m trying to avoid the vets, at least in the city where I live for the moment. I’ve seen a few and they seem pretty useless

I’ll wean her off the dry now. The mio9 has a huge water-content at least. The constant tuna is the downside. The vomiting is not daily at least but it’s happened three times in the past month.

39. Annie
    May 3, 2015 at 8:29 pm (7 months ago)

I have a 4 year old cat with Cerebellar hypoplasia she also only has 6 and a half teeth, all on her Maxillary (top jaw), none on the Mandible (bottom jaw).
    I really want to give her the best nutrition wise. Please List foods i can make for her or buy in Canada.

40. Tracy
    April 21, 2015 at 9:13 pm (7 months ago)

Hi Ingrid, I was wondering what’s your take on the Nature’s Variety Instinct Rawboost Cat Food? Is it something you’d recommend?

April 22, 2015 at 6:12 am (7 months ago)

Instinct’s Raw Boost is still dry food, so I don’t recommend it, Tracy. However, if someone absolutely must feed dry food, it is without a doubt the best dry food choice available at this time.

41. Allie
    April 8, 2015 at 6:37 pm (8 months ago)

Hi Ingrid,

Were adopting an 8 week old kitten in a couple of weeks and I was wondering what you recommended feeding her? Should she just be on canned food? I know you said dry is not good for cats, but since she’s so little I want to make sure she is eating enough.

My other cat mostly likely has a food allergy as well – so it would be ideal if I could put them on the same food. I wanted to do natures variety limited ingredient rabbit – and give the kitten the kibble and the can of the this.. and Luna who is around 7 month (who has the allergy)- just the can – but they do not have limited ingredient rabbit in can! =( Can I feed the normal rabbit can for natures variety instinct for a cat who has allergies? She has never had rabbit before- but I don’t know if it needs to say single sourced protein.

• Allie
      April 8, 2015 at 6:42 pm (8 months ago)

Natural balance has a duck limited ingredient dry and duck limited ingredient can- is this a good brand? and would this be safe to feed an 8 week old kitten?

April 9, 2015 at 6:16 am (8 months ago)

I do not recommend Natural Balance.

• Brianna
          April 23, 2015 at 10:11 am (7 months ago)

Why do you not recommend Nature’s Balance? It’s a limited ingredient formula.

April 23, 2015 at 10:23 am (7 months ago)

Natural Balance was bought out by Del Monte a while back, and I am concerned that they may not maintain the integrity of the formulas.

• Terra
            September 7, 2015 at 11:52 am (3 months ago)

Ingrid–I have read a couple of times now that you are concerned about how Del Monte “may not maintain the integrity of the formulas” of Natural Balance and therefore don’t recommend it. But I haven’t heard you mention anything specific in the ingredients that would put them on your “don’t feed list” to cats. I’m curious about what you think the issue, specifically, might be with their foods. Are you suggesting that although the listed ingredients are all “ok” that somehow Del Monte might be including other things in the food that are not ok for cats? Although I understand the general concern, I’m wondering if there’s something more specific or solid about your concern that would warrant eliminating this brand as an option.

September 7, 2015 at 1:54 pm (3 months ago)

Anytime a pet food company gets bought by a large conglomerate, I worry about the integrity of their formulas, Terra. It’s nothing in specific, I just worry about cost cutting and use of lower quality ingredients in general. It’s a personal decision for each pet guardian.

April 9, 2015 at 6:16 am (8 months ago)

I’m not sure whether the Nature’s Variety rabbit formula contains only rabbit, or whether it has other added proteins. You’ll have to check the label. Cats and kittens should never eat dry food for all the reasons explained in the article.

Kittens do not need to be fed a special kitten formula, here’s more information on why “lifestages” diets don’t make sense:

• Allie
        April 9, 2015 at 1:33 pm (8 months ago)

Okay great. Because Luna will have to be on a specific diet she’s never had before- I wasn’t sure if it had to say “single sourced” protein on the label. But if the ingredients only say rabbit as part of the ingredient list I should be okay? For Nature’s Variety instinct their rabbit can says 95 percent rabbit I believe, but there are no other meats on the label.. so I am not entirely sure what that means- and if that would be okay to feed her as a novel diet. Or if it would be better to get a food that says “single sourced”

I definitely will not feed our new kitten who we will be adopting who is (8 weeks) dry food then. It’s tough though because I don’t want her to be hungry when I can’t be home for her- would a 5 oz can be enough food for her generally speaking in one day. Is feeding her only 3 times a day enough though? If I fed her part of a can in the morning around 7 and then again around 4 ish 5 and then around 9 ish 10…. is that feeding schedule too far apart? I don’t want her to go hungry which makes me so nervous! But It’s challenging when you only are feeding wet food.

Thanks! Just trying to plan for our new addition to the family!

All the best,

April 9, 2015 at 1:37 pm (8 months ago)

If no other meat is listed on the label, it should be a single protein diet. If you want to be 100% sure, I suggest contacting Nature’s Variety.

As for the amounts to feed your kitten, it will depend on her age and weight. Feed her as much as she will eat up to about four months of age, divided into three or four feedings per day. Consider the activity level of your kitten, as well. From four to six months, feed her about 2/3 of a 3-oz. can per pound of body weight per day, and from six months to a year, about half a 3-oz. can per pound per day. Keep in mind that these are only rough guidelines, and you will have to adjust for the age and activity level of your kitten.

• Allie
            April 9, 2015 at 8:22 pm (8 months ago)

Thanks, Ingrid!

• Allie
            April 21, 2015 at 1:26 pm (7 months ago)

Do you think Fromm is a good line for canned food

These are the ingredients for the “Chicken, duck & Salmon pate” :

Ingredients: Chicken, Chicken Broth, Duck, Salmon, Ocean Fish, Chicken Liver, Pea Fiber, Tomato Paste, Potato Starch, Vitamin Mix: Calcium Sulfate, Taurine, Choline Chloride, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Iron Chelate, Zinc Chelate, Niacin Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Potassium Iodate, Riboflavin Supplement, Manganese Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Sodium Selenite, Thiamine Mononitrate, Copper Chelate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid, Biotin.

April 21, 2015 at 1:45 pm (7 months ago)

I don’t recommend fish except as an occasional treat. Salmon, as long as it’s wild, is okay, but ocean fish (tile fish) is one of the worst contaminated fish – in fact, they’re so toxic that the FDA advises women of child-bearing age and children to avoid them entirely. The pea fiber and potato starch add carbs, which may mean that this particular formula is too high in carbs (I couldn’t tell you without seeing the guaranteed analysis).

• debbie
            May 8, 2015 at 3:53 pm (7 months ago)

I buy Nature’s Vartiety Instinct and the chicken has 95% chicken, turkey and liver on the ingredients. Not sure why its not all 95% chicken? 5% veggie/fruit n no grain or gluten.

May 9, 2015 at 6:51 am (7 months ago)

That’s one of the things I don’t like about Nature’s Variety, Debbie: they do mix their proteins. Organ meat is a source of taurine, which is one of the reasons pet food manufacturers use liver. It also enhances flavor.

42. Allie
    March 20, 2015 at 2:25 pm (8 months ago)

Hi Ingrid,

I was wondering what novel food diets you would recommend for a cat? My cat has had a yeast infection in both ears that hasn’t gone away yet even with 2 rounds of treatment. The dermatologist specialist we saw this morning prescribed her a different medication so we will see how that goes. Fingers crossed. However, I know when we go back though for the re-checkup- if everything is not cleared up… they are going to want to put her on a novel prescription food diet to look for food allergies. I really do NOT want to put her on any of that prescription stuff because it is garbage! It is already giving me anxiety just thinking about the possibility of having to do that in the near future if her ears don’t get better. I want to keep her on high quality grain free food.

What novel diets would you recommend? I know there is the brand Mauri – which has rabbit and kangaroo, that the local pet store of mine just started carrying. I am sure this brand is much more healthy than the prescription diets!

Thanks! Any feedback would be appreciated. If I can avoid feeding her prescription diets I will!

March 20, 2015 at 4:21 pm (8 months ago)

Good for you for wanting to avoid “prescription” diets, Allie. Some of the brands I recommend have single protein diets. A line I really like is Nature’s Variety’s Limited Ingredient line. I believe it comes in venison, duck and turkey. I’ve heard good things about Mauri but have not taken a closer look at it. Merrick is coming out with a limited ingredient line that also looks promising.

• Allie
        March 21, 2015 at 9:55 am (8 months ago)

Thank you! That is very reassuring. Hopefully Merricks limited ingredient line won’t have carrageenan in it.
        I appreciate all of your help! Thanks again.

4Pingbacks & Trackbacks on The Best Food for Your Cat: My Recommendations

1. […] for several years, in both the raw and canned varieties. They made my – very small – list of recommended brands (the list is small because I’m extremely picky about what I feed my cats). When they asked […]

2. […] For the brands I feed and like, please read The best food for your cat: my recommendations. […]

3. […] a Good Commercial Pet Food | Little Big Cat Lifestages, Lifestyles, and Cat Food | Little Big Cat The best food for your cat: my recommendations | The Conscious Cat Best regards. AC __________________ AC's Crew: Allen, Rachel, Meghan, Spencer, Heather & […]

4. […] am very careful when it comes to recommending food for your cats. Unless I either have personal experience with a diet, or have thoroughly researched one, I’m […]