The lady with 700 Cats

The lady with 700 cats National Geographic NatGeo Wild

All Lynea Lattanzio wanted as a little girl was a cat, but her mother wouldn’t allow it. “I bet she’s sorry now,” says Lattanzio, who now lives with more than 700 cats as the founder and owner of the largest no-kill, no-cage cat sanctuary in the world.

Cat House on the King is a 503 (c) non-profit organization whose mission it is to place rescued cats and kittens into loving, permanent homes; to provide a safe, happy and healthy home for unwanted cats and kittens in a unique, no-cage facility; to prevent pet overpopulation through spaying and neutering; and to educate the public about responsible pet ownership.

And on Saturday, July 30, at 10pm, the sanctuary will be featured on the new National Geographic Special “The Lady with 700 Cats.” The special will focus on Lattanzio’s and her staff’s passionate work to provide a safe haven for cats and find permanent homes for them.

Watch Lynea Lattanzio talk about how it all started:

For more information about Cat House on the Kings, please visit their website – and don’t forget to watch or set your DVR’s to record the special this coming Saturday!

You may also enjoy reading:

A visit to a very special cat sanctuary

Kitten Associates: the new breed of cat rescue

Help feed shelter cats with Jackson Galaxy and the Pet Postcard Project (Cat House on the Kings is one of the beneficiaries)

2011 Petties Best Cat Blog Best Overall Pet Blog

Thank you for nominating us for two Petties.
Only four more days to vote – please vote every day!

Click here to vote

10 Comments on The lady with 700 Cats

1. Fisher
    August 3, 2011 at 5:05 pm (6 years ago)

This woman is amazing and wonderful. Lots of people would love to live like that, but how many would want to work that hard for so long. She’s on our Lottery List.

2. Kitten Lover
    July 28, 2011 at 4:32 pm (6 years ago)

I love it! If I had the $$ I would donate and plant a few more trees. If it was closer I would volunteer in areas needed.

3. Julie
    July 26, 2011 at 3:34 pm (6 years ago)

I’ve seen a video about her before, it looks like an amazing place – and all the kitties seem so happy!! I’m going to have to make sure to record it – thanks!

July 26, 2011 at 7:45 pm (6 years ago)

It does look like an amazing place, doesn’t it, Julie?

4. Julia Williams
    July 26, 2011 at 3:00 pm (6 years ago)

I really want to watch that because I love the Cat House & Lynea but I’ve been looking for the Nat Geo channel and cannot find it in my TV listings. I have cable and I get a gazillion channels, but I don’t see anything that looks like this. Does it have some other name?

July 26, 2011 at 7:45 pm (6 years ago)

NatGeo Wild apparently is its own channel, Julia. My cable provider (Cox Communications), unfortunately, doesn’t offer it, either. Hopefully,it’ll eventually be available for viewing online!

• Patricia
      August 11, 2011 at 1:23 pm (6 years ago)

Ch. 158 in NY Time Warner Cable. Saw it last night and it was great !

5. Caren Gittleman
    July 26, 2011 at 8:48 am (6 years ago)

I beyond admire Lynea for all she has done and for all she continues to do for the kitties. Thanksk for the reminder, I will be watching for sure!

July 26, 2011 at 1:09 pm (6 years ago)

I’m really looking forward to this special, Caren.

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on The lady with 700 Cats

1. […] Saturday, NatGeo Wild ran a special titled ”The Lady with 700 Cats” about Cat House on the Kings, the largest cat sanctuary in the world. Did you watch it? […]