Published by: Ingrid King. Last Updated on: February 10, 2023 by Crystal Uys
This post is sponsored by Sleepypod
Flying with your cat: it’s a thought that instills fear in many cat parents. However, sometimes, it may be unavoidable. You may be moving across country, or you may be leaving on an extended absence and even leaving your cat with a trusted cat sitter may not work out for you. If you must travel with your cat, it’s important to be prepared. We previously covered how to prepare yourself and your cat for air travel.
Choosing the right carrier is one of the key components of preparation. Today, we’re highlighting what I consider the best carrier for air travel currently available, aptly named the Sleepypod Air.
First Class legroom on every flight
The most important criteria for in cabin travel is that the carrier has to fit under the seat in front of you. Unfortunately, different airlines will have different size requirements. The Sleepypod Air’s unique design allows the carrier to contract in size to fit in the space below most airline seats during the restricted times of takeoff and landing. Once the plane is in the air, the Sleepypod Air can be expanded to allow your cat the largest possible space below an airline seat.
The Sleepypod Air maintains the same strict safety standards as all of Sleepypod’s carriers and was put through the same safety testing that continues to position Sleepypod among one of the safest pet product manufacturers on the market.
Sleepypod Air Features
In addition to its optimal design for comfortable air travel for your cat, the Sleepypod Air has lots of clever little touches that make traveling easier for humans as well as cats:
- Compresses from 22 inches in length to 19 or 16 inches in length
- Snaps on mesh panel frame turn carrier into pet bed away from home
- Top and ends open for easy access to pet
- Secure and durable polyester mesh panels enable air to circulate on three sides and also facilitates views on three sides
- Folds flat for easy storage
- Trolley pocket to secure Sleepypod Air onto other luggage
- Large zipper pockets on two sides for essential travel items
- Removable Ultra Plush bedding is made of the softest polyester plush available and is machine-washable
- Easy care exterior is made of luggage-grade, ballistic nylon
- Water repellent polyester liner for easy cleanups when pet accidents occur
- Removable privacy panel
- Safety tether to eliminate quick pet escapes when opening the carrier
- Adjustable shoulder strap with comfort padding
- Padded carry handle
- Specially designed pocket below Sleepypod Air’s bedding can hold a separately sold electrical Warmer Pad to help keep a pet extra cozy (see accessories)
Not just for air travel
The Sleepypod Air also makes a great all around carrier and keeps your cat safe in your car. It includes straps on both sides which allow you to easily secure a car seat belt around the carrier. This positioning keeps the carrier in the seat in the event of an accident.
Read our review of the Sleepypod Air carrier here.
The Sleepypod Air comes in several beautiful colors. For more information, and to purchase, please visit Sleepypod.com.
FTC Disclosure: This is a sponsored post, which means that I was compensated to feature this content. Regardless of payment received, you will only see products or services featured on this site that I believe are of interest to our readers.
About the author
Ingrid King is an award-winning author, former veterinary hospital manager, and veterinary journalist who is passionate about cats.