Published by: Ingrid King. Last Updated on: October 31, 2022 by Crystal Uys
While a green lawn is pretty to look at, you should think twice about how you go about achieving that lush, green look. The pesticides we apply to our lawns and gardens are hazardous to our pets. Pets can absorb pesticides through their paws or lick it off their bodies. In addition, pets can be exposed to pesticides when they eat grass. Some of the chemicals found in herbicides are also easily tracked indoors on your shoes. An EPA funded study in 2001 found that 2,4-D and dicamba (a chemical used in herbicides) are easily tracked indoors, contaminating the air and surfaces inside residences and exposing children and pets at levels ten times higher than pre-application levels.
This should be enough to make any pet owner think twice about using chemical fertilizers. There are plenty of natural and organic alternatives to these chemicals that are not only safer for your pets, but also friendlier to the environment.
Insecticide and pesticide poisoning is always an emergency situation and requires immediate veterinary attention. Symptoms of insecticide poisoning are:
• Excessive salivation
• Tearing of the eyes
• Excessive urination
• Muscle twitching
• Difficult breathing
• Abdominal pain
• Unsteady gait
Repeated exposure to phenoxy herbicides (example: 2,4-D) may affect the liver, kidneys, gastrointestinal tract and skeletal muscles. Some pesticides contain chlorophenoxy acids and are poisonous to the blood, leading to anemia, neutropenia (low white blood cell count), thrombocytopenia (low platelet count), and feline distemper.
Don’t put your pets’ health at risk – look for natural alternatives to keep your lawn green and your yard weed-free.
About the author
Ingrid King is an award-winning author, former veterinary hospital manager, and veterinary journalist who is passionate about cats.