Allegra’s World: The Refrigerator Game

cat-refrigerator

This post contains affiliate links*

Hi everyone, it’s Allegra! I want to tell you about a cool new game Mom played with me the other day! Okay, so maybe she didn’t think it was all that cool, but I thought it was great fun.

The other morning, Mom let me play with my Hexbug. If you don’t know what that is, it’s this little caterpillar thingie that crawls around on its own. I guess it’s supposed to mimic a real bug. I don’t know why humans think we don’t know toys from real bugs, but that’s okay, it’s still fun to play with it. Normally, she only lets the Hexbug run loose in her laundry basket, but that morning, she let it run around on the kitchen floor. Now this was interesting!

Mom made a fun game out of it. We both watched the Hexbug. Sometimes I followed it and batted at it. Sometimes, she redirected it when it got too close to the edge of the kitchen floor and toward the carpet (it won’t work on carpet.) And then, like a typical human, she got distracted. How humans don’t get that you can’t take your eyes off your prey for even a second is beyond me. But next thing I knew, the Hexbug was going under the refrigerator.

hexbug-cat-toy

And that’s where it got stuck. I could hear it hum and move, but I couldn’t get to it. I heard Mom say a not very nice word. Then things got a little scary, because all of a sudden, the giant refrigerator started moving toward me! I didn’t like that at all!  Mom could tell I was getting upset, and spoke to me in a quiet voice, explaining that it was okay, that she had to move the refrigerator to get the Hexbug out for me. I wasn’t so sure about that. Couldn’t we just leave it under there? Maybe it would come out on its own?

But Mom was determined to get it out. She said it would drive her crazy to have to listen to it until the battery died. The refrigerator kept moving, and I ran into the living room to get away from it. Eventually, I crept closer to see what Mom was doing. And OMG, I couldn’t believe me eyes! There were so many toys behind the refrigerator! Toys that had gone missing a very long time ago!

Mom kept using a few more not so nice words, and got a broom and started sweeping up toys and dust bunnies. She pulled the toys out of the pile and cleaned them up for me. Then the refrigerator started moving again! This time, I wasn’t taking any chances and took off for the bedroom.

Eventually, I went back to the kitchen, and everything looked normal, but I’m still giving the refrigerator the stink eye. It better not move again!

Kitties, have you ever seen your refrigerator move?

contribute banner ad

*The Conscious Cat is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. This means that if you decide to purchase through any of our links, we get a small commission. We only spread the word about products and services we’ve either used or would use ourselves.

15 Comments on Allegra’s World: The Refrigerator Game

1. Sandy Weinstein
    August 3, 2020 at 1:17 am (3 months ago)

i had to laugh. how could a little toy cause the fridge to move? and all of those toys behind the fridge, i think i need to check my fridge. my girls are always losing toys and i cant find them.

2. Callie
    July 27, 2020 at 1:35 pm (3 months ago)

I am in such dire pain. I lost my beloved Frodo 9 days ago. I am hurting so badly. I miss his sweet face, his kisses, his purrs, his hugs (yeah, he ALWAYS HUGGED me).
    I am beside myself in grief… I feel so awful. The worst part is that I have two VERY elderly parents to care for. I’m having a very difficult time. I miss my baby so much, he was my only solice.
    I think my heart will never be the same again. It’s broken… beyond repair.

• Lynda
      July 27, 2020 at 2:26 pm (3 months ago)

Oh Callie I’m so sorry to hear! Sending lots of virtual hugs and love to you
      (((<3))).

Losing our fur babies suck and there are no words around that. Try searching the Conscious Cats archives…I DID find some solace in Ingrid's post on the subject. For me, the knowledge that I'll catch up to mine someday is a small comfort…but still.

3. Catatopia
    July 26, 2020 at 8:10 am (3 months ago)

Our hexbug went through a tiny hole under our dishwasher. Our human had to remove a panel and fish around with a stick to get it back for us.

July 27, 2020 at 5:11 am (3 months ago)

Oh my goodness! Those hexbugs seem to be wiley little creatures! 🙂

July 23, 2020 at 3:41 pm (3 months ago)

My kitties don’t like that either.

5. Summer
    July 22, 2020 at 8:12 pm (3 months ago)

Wow, Allegra! I didn’t know refrigerators could do that!

6. Connie Fischer
    July 22, 2020 at 11:26 am (3 months ago)

Allegra is adorable! When I see her, I immediately think of my Sophie who looks just like her. Torties are the best!!

7. lynda
    July 22, 2020 at 9:45 am (3 months ago)

Wow Allegra, you’ve got a dancing fridge! I’ve NEVER seen our fridge move and I have TRIED. I won’t give up watching it though, even if I have to stand on top of it. Good work, xx Dante

8. Janine
    July 22, 2020 at 7:20 am (3 months ago)

I’m glad you were able to get the Hexbug back along with a bunch of forgotten toys. After seeing your first post about the Hexbug, my meowmy ordered one for me too and I love that thing. But she doesn’t watch it most of the time and it usually ends up on it’s side buzzing to be turned back over. We have seen the fridge move and it is very scary like you said. Daddy is usually the one who helps it move.
    ……..Miss Lulu

9. Margaret
    July 22, 2020 at 3:59 am (3 months ago)

Hi Allegra! How scary to have the refrigerator moving out of its normal spot! But think about all those bonus toys! We pulled ours out once and found 27 (I kid you not) ping pong balls that Gracie had “lost”. Hope you and your Mom are keeping safe xx

• Diane
      July 22, 2020 at 7:41 am (3 months ago)

Hi Allegra your story gave me the giggles, thank you for sharing, it made my day. Lots of kitty love all the way from Melbourne Australia

10. Ann Seeber
    July 22, 2020 at 3:52 am (3 months ago)

Ha ha ha!!! You and Allegra have tickled my funny bone here in NY before 4am!! Thanks for the giggles.. Adam and Eve are looking at me like “what’s with Mom now??”

11. Sue
    July 22, 2020 at 2:42 am (3 months ago)

How nice Mom found your toys that went missing. Now you have lots of new toys to play with.