Sunday Quotes: Accept What Is

accept-what-is

The other day a friend and I were talking about how frustrated we are with so many aspects of this pandemic: being unable to do the things we usually love to do in the summer, the fact that every trip to the grocery store requires strategic planning, people refusing to wear masks and being irresponsible in general, and she said something that stuck with me: “I’m tired of being so angry all the time.”

Anger is not part of my normal emotional make up (but then, is anything normal these days?), but lately, I’ve been feeling angry and frustrated just about every day. My blood pressure spikes almost every time I check the news as I get increasingly angry (a spike that is usually followed by a feeling of despair, but that’s a topic for another post.) And I realized that, like my friend, I, too, am tired of feeling angry. Every. Single. Day.

Of course, ultimately, that feeling of anger goes back to wanting to control the uncontrollable. This article helped me understand that what’s at the root of this particular anger is actually fear.

So, I’m going to work on changing my reaction to things I can’t control – because how I respond is the only thing I can control. The quote above offers the perfect 3-step process to work on doing that.

Accept what is

We’re in the middle of an out-of-control pandemic in this country, and it’s going to be with us for a very long time. I don’t have the power to change what other people are doing or not doing to get this thing under control. Rather than allowing myself to be in constant fight or flight mode, I can choose to change my reaction to circumstances rather than expect circumstances to change to accommodate me.

Let go of what was

I can’t tell you how many times over the last few months I’ve said “I just want my life back the way it was on March 14!” That was the last day I did anything normal before everything was locked down. But the more I think about everything I can’t do anymore, the more depressed and angry I’m going to get. So this is where the real work will be for me: I need to stop clinging to wanting to have things back the way they were. I keep reminding myself of the Rumi quoteTry not to resist the changes that come your way. Instead, let life live through you. And do not worry that your life is turning upside down. How do you know that the side you are used to is better than the one to come?”

Have faith in what will be

And that, of course, is were the real power of this process lies: maintaining a positive attitude about the future, and trusting that at the end of all this upheaval, we will emerge into a better world, is what faith is all about.

Ultimately, the question I need to ask myself whenever I slide back into reacting with anger and fear is this: Do I want to live in love or live in fear? I don’t know about you, but for me, the answer is pretty clear, so it’s time I align my actions with love rather than with anger and fear.

contribute banner ad

18 Comments on Sunday Quotes: Accept What Is

July 13, 2020 at 3:02 pm (3 months ago)

Great quote. Have a nice week.

2. Debi
    July 12, 2020 at 11:54 pm (3 months ago)

Yes! Be Here Now! It’s more difficult than one would imagine. 🙂

3. Cheri Collins
    July 12, 2020 at 4:21 pm (3 months ago)

The only time we have is now. Cats remind us — they live in the present. So do dogs. I don’t live with one, but I’m reminded of a cartoon I saw once. The dog’s human is asking, “when should we go out?” And the dog is jumping up and down saying, “Now! Now! Now!” And the same with more questions.
    We may not feel Now is just the way we want it to be, but was last year truly perfect? I’m trying to think of ways to make Now what I want it to be in the important ways.
    Love.

4. MayeW
    July 12, 2020 at 2:43 pm (3 months ago)

Words to live by, and they are on target for how we have been, and are living these days! Thank you.

5. Ellen
    July 12, 2020 at 1:07 pm (3 months ago)

Thank you. So very wise and helpful.
    Just what I needed today. Yes, more love.

6. Ais
    July 12, 2020 at 11:51 am (3 months ago)

This is the purrfect post for me this morning. I have a shed full of miscellaneous and photo albums etc crammed into outside sheds and corners of closets and drawers, all to be sorted “later”. I got started about the time the pandemic hit. Thank you for sharing this post…it reminds me to keep moving forward and looking where I am going instead of where I have been:))

7. Lisa B
    July 12, 2020 at 11:19 am (3 months ago)

Another excellent post, thank you. I too have been feeling so very angry. It feels like I’ve spent much of the last 3.5 yrs. with a simmering anger that is exhausting, unlike me but most importantly, not how I want to live. So the interior work continues. Please stay safe.

8. Cynthia
    July 12, 2020 at 10:45 am (3 months ago)

A purrfect Sunday read and everyday reminder to go with the flow in love no matter the outer circumstances. I’m limiting watching the news while still staying informed. More time in my garden and playing with my cat! I’m being proactive in self care and self sufficiency. Each time I grocery shop I buy a few extra non-perishables including cat food and kitty litter. Bit by bit it gives me comfort during these uncertain times. Thanks for the great post Ingrid.

9. Nancy Faulkner
    July 12, 2020 at 8:35 am (3 months ago)

Excellent Post! Everyone should carry a copy of this post.

10. Connie Fischer
    July 12, 2020 at 8:02 am (3 months ago)

You are so right, Ingrid. So many people are truly angry about all the inconveniences we face right now, but we have to remember it’s to protect us all from illness. So, chill everyone and be thankful for your blessings.

11. Janine
    July 12, 2020 at 7:00 am (3 months ago)

Great post. You always seem to have a topic that I can relate to.

12. darlene
    July 12, 2020 at 5:50 am (3 months ago)

I love your post. I always say don’t live in the past.Thank you

• Susan Lockaby
      July 12, 2020 at 10:39 am (3 months ago)

Excellent post.

13. Ann Seeber
    July 12, 2020 at 4:56 am (3 months ago)

Thank you, Ingrid. Just what I needed to read this morning. Looking forward to find out what will be after all is said and done. Be well!

14. Shirley
    July 12, 2020 at 4:23 am (3 months ago)

In in the uk & feel the same…. this is helpful advice given here.
    My tabby & white girl Milly helps to ground me & live in the moment.

15. Wendy
    July 12, 2020 at 4:19 am (3 months ago)

I managed to get through the difficult lockdown together with my cat Jingle, my saviour. Penang island in Malaysia, where I live is green zone for over 3 months now, thank God for that. Give Allegra a hug whenever you feel overwhelmed.

16. Dee
    July 12, 2020 at 3:47 am (3 months ago)

Great post

17. Marilyn
    July 12, 2020 at 2:20 am (3 months ago)

Ingrid,