Happy 4th of July

4th-of-july-cat

This 4th of July will be very different from previous celebrations for a lot of us. For Allegra and me, on a personal level, it will be the first 4th without Ruby. And of course, nothing else will be the same this  year, either.

If you are going to gather with family or friends, please be safe and observe physical distancing and wear a mask. If you’re going to stay home, try to find something meaningful that allows you to enjoy the holiday. Maybe there’s a special food that evokes summer for you? Maybe a favorite movie?

Allegra and I will be staying home. We’ll enjoy some special treats, and I have to say, the jello concoctions in the photo above looks awfully tempting to me. If Ruby were still with us, she’d probably hope it contains tuna!

Whatever you choose to do today, please remember that this may not be your cat’s favorite holiday. I fear that because public celebrations have been canceled in most parts of the country, there will be more fireworks in neighborhoods. They’ve already been going off in my neighborhood every night for the past week. Plan ahead so you can make the holiday as stress free as possible for you cats.

How to Help Your Cat Cope With Fireworks

Mews and Nips will return next week.

New Dr. Goodpet banner

8 Comments on Happy 4th of July

1. Brian Frum
    July 4, 2020 at 8:21 am (1 month ago)

Such a fun photo! Happy Independence Day from all of us!

2. Connie Fischer
    July 4, 2020 at 7:40 am (1 month ago)

Wishing everyone a happy Fourth of July. May we remember that the holiday is to celebrate this great country of ours. Please be safe and I ask that you just watch fireworks on TV. This will keep you safe and not frighten our pets, babies, the elderly, and those with PTSD. Compassion for all is what makes us proud Americans.

• IDA GALES
      July 4, 2020 at 8:39 am (1 month ago)

So very true! Thank you for pointing that out!

• IDA GALES
      July 4, 2020 at 8:41 am (1 month ago)

Please know that Ruby lives on in the memories of me and my friends. My Aryana WILDcat thinks tuna cake is awesome, and since we have a professional baker neighbor who detests tuna, you can imagine the joking that goes on. Ary special requests a tuna cake from her Aunty about weekly!

• Gin
      July 4, 2020 at 11:38 pm (1 month ago)

Totally agree with you. Happy Fourth to all stay safe everyone and keep those fur babies safe too!!!

3. Nancy Faulkner
    July 4, 2020 at 7:33 am (1 month ago)

Happy Fourth To ALL!

Allegra looks fashionable for the day, & refreshing too. Those desserts do look yummy!

Do miss Ruby not being next to her Allegra. Bet Ruby is looking down from the Rainbow Bridge taking a breather from celebrating and wishing Mom & Allegra a Happy Fourth.

Grayson, Milo, Hamish, Nan

4. Janine
    July 4, 2020 at 7:07 am (1 month ago)

Allegra looks all ready for summer. My husband and I are spending the day alone and home where it’s safe. The fireworks in our town went on almost all night long. luckily none were close to our house to scare my girls. But I am sure tonight that will all change. Have a good and safe 4th!

5. Eleanor Skibo
    July 4, 2020 at 1:48 am (1 month ago)

I just love your set up, and Allegra looks smashing! Just like she’s more than ready for Firecracker Day. But I do miss seeing Ruby next to Allegra, but she’s probably celebrating in some place very
    invigorating to cats. As you can see Ingrid, I’m still up and it’s 1:45 AM. Have a Happy Fourth of
    July you two ladies.