A Tribute to Lil BUB

lil-bub

Last Sunday the cat world lost once of its brightest lights. On December 1, Lil BUB passed away peacefully in her sleep. BUB had been fighting a bone infection for quite some time, but her sudden passing was completely unexpected.

BUB had millions of followers around the world, but that doesn’t tell the full story of her legacy. “BUB has made a huge difference in the world of animal welfare, and in the lives of millions of people worldwide,” wrote Mike Bridavsky, BUB’s “Dude,” on BUB’s Facebook page on Monday. “She has literally saved thousands of lives (both pets and humans), she started the first national fund for special needs pets, she was the subject of groundbreaking genetic and biological research, she’s helped raise over $700,000 for animals in need, and has spread a message of determination, positivity, and perseverance to people all over the world. And even though my heart is absolutely crushed by her graceful departure from planet Earth, I know that her sprit, magic, and overwhelming energy are still with us, reminding us every day to be better.”

Lil_BUB_Dude

Like so many others, I first fell in love with this amazing little cat online. She conveyed a level of charisma in photos and videos unlike anything I had ever seen. In the spring of 2014, I connected with Mike online and had an opportunity for an exclusive, in-dept interview.

Lil-BUB

I first met her in person at CatCon LA in 2016, and she was every bit as special in real life. The energy coming off this tiny little cat (and she’s even tinier in person than I thought she’d be) was absolutely magical, and watching the bond between her and Mike in real life, and not just through photos and videos, touched my heart deeply. Mike snapped the series of photos above. I also got to pet Bub, and I loved how her eyes closed when I petted the top of her head. I felt like I’d been given a very special gift.

I since saw BUB at  various cat conventions, and I was always struck by how laid back she was about being out among her adoring public. As long as she was with her Dude, life was good for BUB.

Within hours of Mike sharing the news of BUB’s passing, her story was picked up by major news outlets and trended on Twitter – yet another testament to the impact this small cat had on so many lives.

Lil_Bub_and_her_Dude

My heart goes out to Mike and his family as they mourn their little girl. I hope Mike can allow himself to privately mourn this loss. While he will hopefully find some comfort in knowing that so many others are also grieving her passing, ultimately, she was his baby girl first, and an internet celebrity second.

Rest easy, sweet BUB. Your spirit and magical energy will live on in the hearts of those who loved you.

21 Comments on A Tribute to Lil BUB

December 13, 2019 at 2:39 pm (7 months ago)

Beautiful tribute.

2. DENNIS MORAN
    December 9, 2019 at 4:25 pm (7 months ago)

MIKE SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS. BUT LIL BUB IS STILL WATCHING OVER YOU. SHE HOPES THAT YOU WILL FIND ANOTHER CAT TO CLOSE THAT HOLE IN YOUR HEART. AND GIVE THAT LITTLE ONE ALL THE LOVE YOU HAD PLANNED TO GIVE HER.

• june bullied
      December 10, 2019 at 5:07 pm (7 months ago)

couldnt have said it better dennis. such a little angel. my heart aches for these wonderful parents of lil bub.

3. Summer
    December 9, 2019 at 4:26 am (7 months ago)

This was such sad news. My human was also fortunate to meet Bub and Mike, and they were both very special beings.

4. Dee Rogers
    December 8, 2019 at 4:23 pm (7 months ago)

Although I just recently started following Mike & Lil Bub, my heart is so touched by his passing. I have experienced the loss of more than one special family member and the feelings of sadness never go away. But when this happens I also try to remember the fun times we had and the sadness mellows out a little bit. Bub was lucky that you found and loved him, Mike, and he will stay loved in your heart forever!!

• Patricia
      December 11, 2019 at 5:36 am (7 months ago)

All the cats I ever had and loved, I will always love even after they passed away. I will always remember the love and moments together with them.

5. Clara Sharp
    December 8, 2019 at 4:00 pm (7 months ago)

Thank you for a loving tribute to one of the most precious cats on earth. Her spirit is forever with us. I know she and Grumpy Cat are rolling in the most heavenly catnip they can ever imagine! Peace and play forever, Lil Bub!

6. Crystal
    December 8, 2019 at 2:07 pm (7 months ago)

We will miss Lil Bub. Nice tribute

7. Nelda Fink
    December 8, 2019 at 1:44 pm (7 months ago)

Love made from Heaven. Sad, but now Lil Bub and her living human family take on a new purpose. I know they will carry the love from Heaven far.

• Nelda Fink
      December 8, 2019 at 1:53 pm (7 months ago)

Also Ingrid, thank you so much for posting this. I enjoy hearing the success stories of Lil BUB but haven’t been following. So this sad news is helpful. Thank you for sharing it!!

8. Eleanor Skibo
    December 8, 2019 at 1:17 pm (7 months ago)

Lil Bub was small in body but mighty big in her heart and all the love she passed around. Lil Bub will fly up to the sky on the wings of the wind and will spread her love throughout the air. In her remembrance, she should be renamed Lil Big Bub, for all the great big amazing rays of love she sent out to everyone in every corner of the world. Have a safe trip my love, you’ll be in our hearts forever.

9. june bullied
    December 8, 2019 at 12:09 pm (7 months ago)

dear dear lil bub i hope u r running and playing in the rainbow bridge. we are all going to miss u. much luv.

10. Aldona
    December 8, 2019 at 11:38 am (7 months ago)

I had the pleasure of meeting Lil Bub at Logan Arcade in Chicago last year. She was helping out with a fundraiser for our shelter, and I was one of the volunteers who helped care for her. She even needed litter at one point, so I ran to my car to get some (yep, I carry litter 24/7). I was amazed to hear that her dad had to help her with the bathroom at the time, and it touched my heart that he did so much for her. I work with special needs cats for a living so yeah, she had a special place in my heart, as she did with everyone else for their own reasons.

Fly high, sweet Bub.

11. Steven Howard
    December 8, 2019 at 10:55 am (7 months ago)

I have followed Mike and Bub for years and was very sad to hear of her passing. I never had the opportunity to see Bub and Mike interact personally but there are a few things that are abundantly clear: Bub loved Mike, Mike loved Bub, and they spread so much good together. The world lost one of the greatest forces of good, the penultimate good will ambassador, and my heart goes out to her family.

12. Patricia
    December 8, 2019 at 10:04 am (7 months ago)

God Bless Lil BUB. I lost 2 cats this year and I got 2 new cats who I love very much.

13. Kim Henrichs
    December 8, 2019 at 9:49 am (7 months ago)

She was so precious.

14. sue
    December 8, 2019 at 9:10 am (7 months ago)

I, too, like many, many others mourn the loss of this darling little cat; she brought so much joy and good to the animal world; she overcame the impossible, and we all thank Mike and his family/friends for their work, their love, care and patience with Lil Bub and most of all their faith that she could overcome her disability. Not many folks would’ve taken on that job. I know Mike and his family are mourning deeply, I still tear up when thinking of Bub, I didnt have the pleasure of meeting this special kitty like some of you did; I wanted to so bad, but she never came to my area. But I did support her cause by purchasing some of her items and I will cherish them always. She was a very special little girl, and I’m glad she is resting and playing now, with no more worries ever. God bless Mike and his family/friends being willing to give her a chance at a good life, much love and care to this little baby. I know they will grieve for a long time, but feel good that they got to spend 8 years with her and cherish the memories of that time. We all will miss you, GOOD JOB BUB!!!! love forever

15. Angela Gosselin
    December 8, 2019 at 8:32 am (7 months ago)

Beautiful Tribute for Lil Bub Good Job Bub!!

16. Janine
    December 8, 2019 at 8:09 am (7 months ago)

She sure was a special girl and loved by a lot of people. I love your tribute to her.

17. Nan Faulkner
    December 8, 2019 at 6:50 am (7 months ago)

Ingrid,

What a beautiful tribute to Lil BUB! Yes….BUB & her Dude (Mike) did something for special needs cats, & other abandoned, abused cats too.

Live on BUB! Watch over ALL CATS! Don’t forget their humans too.i

18. A.Cattan
    December 8, 2019 at 6:15 am (7 months ago)

There are no words that can convey how very sorry I am…please try to remember she will always live on in your heart and you will always carry her in your heart with you…they never truly leave us…no one can conceive of the depth of your grief…but those of us who have deeply bonded with our fur loves do understand….so very sorry…