Thanksgiving ABC’s

cat-fall-atumn-leaves

Thursday is Thanksgiving in the United States, and while eating delicious food and spending time with family and friends is all part of this holiday, I think it’s also important to reflect on its true meaning: a time to count one’s blessings. I keep a gratitude journal all year long. Each night before I go to bed, I list at least three things I was grateful for that day.

Gratitude is a powerful force. It shifts your mood and your thoughts from a place of lack to a place of abundance. Gratitude is all about being in the present moment, and appreciating what’s around you.

Several years ago, I started my tradition of making a “Thanksgiving ABC’s” list. Some of the items on the list repeat year after year, others are new. Here’s this year’s list:

A: Allegra

B: Books

C: Cape May, New Jersey

D: Downton Abbey. I became obsessed with the series this year, and I loved the movie.

E: Eating out – one of my great pleasures in life

F: Friends

G: Gingerbread. But not just any gingerbread, it has to be the German kind.

H: Hallmark Channel Christmas movies. I know, they’re about as hokey as things get, but to me, they’re the ultimate stress relief.

I: my independence

J: Jonathan Van Ness. I had a chance to meet him earlier this year, and he was just as lovely and positive in person as he is on the show.

K: Kindness

L: Lazy Sundays

M: Music

N: Netflix. Queer Eye, Kominsky Method, Schitt’s Creek, The Great British Baking Show are just a few of my favorites.

O: Oranges and Clementines. I’m obsessed with citrus fruit in the winter months and add them to my salads almost every day.

P: Prime, as in Amazon Prime. From fast shipping to music to movies and TV shows, I use it all the time.

Q: Queen (the band)

R: Ruby

S: Sun puddles. I think I was probably a cat in another life.

T: Torties!

U: Unscheduled time

V: Veterinarians and veterinary staff, for all they do to make cats’ lives better

W: Walking. My daily walks are exercise, meditation and sanity saver all in one for me.

X: X-mas. Even though I’m not crazy about this abbreviation of Christmas, I can never think of anything else that starts with X, and I do love Christmas!

Y: Yoga pants, aka my work wardrobe!

Z: the Zoomies – it’s what I call it when Ruby races through the house like a crazy kitten for no reason at all

What are you grateful for this Thanksgiving?

9 Comments on Thanksgiving ABC’s

November 25, 2019 at 5:12 pm (2 weeks ago)

Love your list. Happy Thanksgiving.

2. Eleanor Skibo
    November 24, 2019 at 11:04 pm (2 weeks ago)

I’m thankful for both the humans and non humans in my life, food on my table, a home to live in and a nice warm bed to sleep in at night, and especially for my G d who created me and a country where I can worship him.

3. Mollie Hunt
    November 24, 2019 at 7:22 pm (2 weeks ago)

Ingrid, I love this idea and would like to use it on my own blogsite if that is okay with you. My version will feature writing and cats.

November 25, 2019 at 6:19 am (2 weeks ago)

Of course you can use this idea, Mollie! Writing and cats sound like wonderful things to be thankful for to me 🙂

4. Catherine J Stout
    November 24, 2019 at 5:28 pm (2 weeks ago)

I’m disappointed that Ruby is so low on the list! I feel she should be number two..

November 25, 2019 at 6:19 am (2 weeks ago)

Well, she really is number one (but shhh, don’t tell Allegra! 🙂 )

5. Angela Gosselin
    November 24, 2019 at 12:48 pm (2 weeks ago)

Love this! We all have so much to be grateful for. Today I am grateful for our friends Ingrid, Allegra & Ruby at The Conscious Cat that give us the gift of knowledge & friendship so we can be better kitty parents everyday! Happy Thanksgiving =^..^=

6. Sierra M Koester
    November 24, 2019 at 7:31 am (2 weeks ago)

Ingrid, I love this idea! I’m going to make a list in the next couple of days. What a wonderful idea to focus on all we have to be thankful for.

7. Ann Seeber
    November 24, 2019 at 4:37 am (2 weeks ago)

I’m grateful for The Conscious Cat showing up in my inbox every day! Also, Ancient Christianity designated The Christ with an X or a fish drawing to hide their presence from disapproving Roman authorities. An X on a door might be a signal of a meeting tonight..etc. 😉