What We Know About the Cats Movie So Far

cats-the-musical

December 20, 2019: mark your calendars! That’s the day the movie Cats will premiere in theaters.

The musical written by Andrew Lloyd Webber based on T.S. Eliot’s poems opened in London in 1981. It became the fourth longest running show on Broadway, originally running at the Winter Garden Theatre from 1982 to 2000. It was revived in 2016. And this December, it will be a movie.

I saw the play several times, and of course, I own the sound track as well. For me, it has stood the test of time, and I’m eager (and a little apprehensive) to see what the movie will be like. Broadway to big screen doesn’t always translate well. The most notable recent disaster, in my opinion, was Rock of Ages. The play was fantastic. The movie – not so much.

This movie version will feature a stellar cast, including Taylor Swift, Dame Judi Dench, Ian McKellan, and Jennifer Hudson. Swift will reportedly play Bombalurina, Dench will play Old Deuteronomy, McKellan will be Gus the Theatre Cat, and Hudson will play Grizabella, who arguably has the best known song of the play, “Memories.”

If you can’t wait until December, you can watch the entire musical on YouTube.

Are you excited about the Cats movie?

6 Comments on What We Know About the Cats Movie So Far

1. Sandy Weinstein
    April 20, 2019 at 10:59 am (7 months ago)

i saw this when it first came out on Broadway, it was so good. we got to go on stage and meet the actors. i love the music

2. Andrea
    April 19, 2019 at 9:41 pm (7 months ago)

I’m with you, excited but apprehensive at the same time. I’ve got it on my calendar now!

3. Cat Fleming
    April 19, 2019 at 1:10 pm (7 months ago)

I’ve never seen the Cats play, but always wanted to. I didn’t know it was on u-tube so that’s exciting!

4. Janine
    April 19, 2019 at 8:31 am (7 months ago)

I can’t wait to see this. I never saw the musical and my husband wouldn’t go even if it did come to town. So, the movie is my only option.

5. Alyce K Schmid
    April 19, 2019 at 8:22 am (7 months ago)

I hope the movie does well, but having seen Cats in the theater, part of the experience is the interaction of the “cats” with the audience. Looking forward to seeing how the actors and singers handle the various part.

6. Gayle Brady
    April 19, 2019 at 6:36 am (7 months ago)

This is such an awesome musical. I saw it years ago and I am looking forward to the movie.