Mews and Nips: Freddie Mercury’s Cats Made Bohemian Rhapsody Even Better

Freddie-Mercury-cats

I went to see Bohemian Rhapsody, and the movie was everything I had hoped for and then some. I loved everything about it: the wonderful portrayal of Freddie Mercury, perfect casting and phenomenal acting, and of course, the music. The movie had me spellbound and that’s something that rarely happens for me. And the cats! I knew Freddie Mercury was a cat lover, but I had no idea just how much he loved cats. And even though they’re not in the movie, he had two torties, and he even wrote a song for one of them! For more about Freddie Mercury’s cats, visit The Washington Post.

If you missed any of the stories featured on the Conscious Cat this week, here’s a recap: on Monday, we explained how to do a home health check for your cat, on Tuesday, we reviewed the MaxScratch oversized scratching post, on Wednesday, we explored what to expect when you’re grieving the loss of a cat, and on Friday, we reviewed Luis and Tabitha, an adorable children’s book. And don’t forget to enter our giveaway for a Swan Fountain from Pioneer Pet!

To say that Freddie Mercury was a cat lover probably doesn’t do his love for cats justice. He wrote the song below for one of his torties – enjoy!

“You make me so very happy
When you cuddle up and go to sleep beside me
And then you make me slightly mad
When you pee all over my Chippendale suite”

Have a great weekend!

Photo via The Washington Post

contribute banner ad

13 Comments on Mews and Nips: Freddie Mercury’s Cats Made Bohemian Rhapsody Even Better

1. Dixie Ebright
    November 23, 2018 at 10:39 pm (3 weeks ago)

I’ve seen the movie twice. I’d love to know more about the cats that were in the movie. That tabby with those eyes! Like it was beaming out love, rainbows, and unicorn kisses from them!❤

November 24, 2018 at 6:31 am (3 weeks ago)

Jim Hutton’s memoir, Mercury and Me, contains quite a bit of information about the cats, Dixie https://amzn.to/2Sc4AuK

2. Ellen Kabat
    November 10, 2018 at 6:34 pm (1 month ago)

Great post. And, yes, a wonderful movie.
    So sad that he did not live a bit longer when better drugs were available. He was an amazing person.

3. World Of Animals, Inc.
    November 10, 2018 at 4:50 pm (1 month ago)

We loved the movie too. We heard when he use to call his house when he was out on the road. He would make them put the cats on the phone. He was such a wonderful cat lover. Thanks for the share. Have a wonderful rest of your weekend.

4. sue brandes
    November 10, 2018 at 4:45 pm (1 month ago)

I didn’t know he was a cat lover. How wonderful.

5. Nancy West
    November 10, 2018 at 4:16 pm (1 month ago)

Thank you for posting! So sweet! Video made me cry!
    We had a “Delilah” at our feral colony for ten years. Last year she went to live with one of her caretakers and just died recently.

6. caren gittleman
    November 10, 2018 at 3:39 pm (1 month ago)

I am planning on seeing it and now I will like it even more!

7. Debi
    November 10, 2018 at 1:33 pm (1 month ago)

My kitty, yet thinner because of her age, looks so much like Delilah, so I know why he loved her so much. Calico cats are very sweet.

• Patricia
      November 10, 2018 at 6:05 pm (1 month ago)

I had a Calico named Depeche Mode. She eventually died. She was very unique. I met her when I got out of work early. She was following two 13 year old girls. I asked them if she was their cat. I asked them if they were taking her home. They said their parents would not allow that. I picked her up and went around the area where they found her, trying to find where she lived. Eventually I just put her down on the street in that area. She followed me to the busy 3 way intersection I picked her up with intentions of saving her which I did. I put her in my car. She came over and sat in my lap and stayed there as I was driving home. She lived with me for almost 15 years.

November 11, 2018 at 6:23 am (1 month ago)

What a great rescue story, Patricia!

8. Janine
    November 10, 2018 at 8:04 am (1 month ago)

I have seen pictures of him with a cat, so I knew he had to have liked them. But I didn’t know exactly how much he loved them. I still need to see this movie.

9. Marge
    November 10, 2018 at 1:57 am (1 month ago)

Apologies if this posts twice… A previous past i made never showed up and this one hasn’t either.
    If you watch their video for ‘those were the days of our lives’, Freddy is wearing a vest (they call it a waistcoat) with all his cats pictured on it. Pictures of all his cats were snagged and silkscreen painted onto the vest. It is very cool! A better picture can be seen here:

10. Raine
    November 10, 2018 at 1:35 am (1 month ago)

How awesome! I had no idea he was a cat dad. I’m really excited to see this film but I get dizzy in theaters so I’ll watch it when it’s released. Until then I’m going to learn more about his kitties.