Rad Cat Raw Diet Shuts Down Production

radcat-raw-diet

I am deeply saddened to announce that as of today, Radagast Petfood Inc., the makers of the wonderful Rad Cat raw diets, are shutting down production. The company made this difficult decision for economic reasons, following two recent recalls.

“The expenses of these events, along with slow reimbursement from insurance, and some distributors who, collectively, over the last few months have withheld hundreds of thousands of dollars in payments … have made it economically impossible for us to continue…for that we are very sorry and we promise we tried our best” wrote company founders Tracey and Janice on their website.

I considered Rad Cat one of the best commercial raw diets on the market. Allegra and Ruby absolutely love this food. I personally know of many cats who have been brought back to vibrant health from various issues after being put on this diet. My heart is breaking for all of the cat parents whose cats have been helped by this diet, and who now find themselves scrambling to find a replacement.

This is a profound loss for cats, and for the raw food industry.

For a detailed explanation of the events that led up to this difficult decision, please read Rad Cat’s statement on their website.

I know I’m not alone when I say I sincerely hope that Tracey and Janet will regroup and find a way to relaunch and make this wonderful diet available again. If you know of anyone who would like to invest in this effort, please get in touch with them!

October 18 update: Rad Cat started a crowdfunding campaign with the goal of raising funds to pay outstanding debts to vendors, suppliers and distributors who have supported them over the 14 years they were in business, and to reboot and relaunch the brand. If you would like to contribute, please visit https://www.gofundme.com/how-to-help-rad-cat-after-closure

16 Comments on Rad Cat Raw Diet Shuts Down Production

1. Dianne Anderson
    October 16, 2018 at 7:53 pm (2 months ago)

Was very sad that production of this awesome product is over. My indoor/outdoor feral cat loves this product. Was hoping my older cat would get used to it soon also. He really would benefit health wise. Hoping the company will be up and running again.

2. Cindy
    October 16, 2018 at 5:06 pm (2 months ago)

I am so sorry about this. Our Siamese lady doesn’t do nearly as well on other raw diets. I went through this before when our supplier didn’t carry rad cat for a few years. Her health declined and it was so upsetting. Then I found a small, independent supplier locally and they carried it. It was such a relief and now this. UGH. Any suggestions for replacement? Tara has pancreas issues. Thanks, Cindy

October 17, 2018 at 5:50 am (2 months ago)

I feel your pain, Cindy. The two brands that are most comparable to Rad Cat are Darwin’s and Balanced Blends. If I were you, I’d buy up as much Rad Cat as you can get at your local store so you can do a slow and gradual transition once you settle on another brand.

If you want to consider making your own food, the easiest method is using TC Feline’s premix – simply add meat and water.

• Tracey
        October 17, 2018 at 11:00 am (2 months ago)

I have been using RadCat for several years and my cat is doing great. I am so upset to hear this! She won’t eat anything else.

Ingrid, do you know if Darwin’s or Balanced Blends is the same texture as RadCat?

Thanks, Tracey

October 17, 2018 at 1:09 pm (2 months ago)

Tracey, Darwin’s is very similar in texture. It doesn’t have quite as much moisture as Radcat, if that’s an issue for your cats, you can add a teaspoon or two of water to each meal. Balanced Blends is also pretty similar in texture. As I told a previous commenter, if I were you, I’d buy up as much Rad Cat as you can get at your local store so you can do a slow and gradual transition once you settle on another brand.

• Tracey
            October 18, 2018 at 10:06 am (2 months ago)

Thanks Ingrid! Darwin’s does looks similar. I like that they have a sample package. I am going to give it a try.

• Kim
      October 31, 2018 at 12:37 am (2 months ago)

Hi Cindy, one of my cats has pancreas issues, triutisus actually, and Stella and Chewy freezdried chick chick Chicken has saved her life. I serve it very soupy so she takes in lots of water. I am so sad about Rad Cat, their food is amazing! Hopefully they have a come back but in the mean time, Stella and Chewy may be a good alternative.

3. Jim Bowman
    October 16, 2018 at 4:17 pm (2 months ago)

Ridiculous and sad. This food has helped some many pets become healthy again.

October 17, 2018 at 5:50 am (2 months ago)

I couldn’t agree more, Jim.

4. Bernadette
    October 16, 2018 at 10:45 am (2 months ago)

I feed my cats a variety of raw foods, but Rad Cat has always been a real treat. I’m so sorry this happened to them!

October 15, 2018 at 6:45 pm (2 months ago)

That’s awful. So sorry.

6. Dana
    October 15, 2018 at 6:30 pm (2 months ago)

Time to boycott and put pressure on those distributors. I am outraged. This food is top notch.

• Gloria
      October 20, 2018 at 1:08 pm (2 months ago)

Who would we boycott? We don’t even know which distributors to boycott and what would we boycott? The other brands that they distribute? Boycotting is not a good idea.

7. lyn
    October 15, 2018 at 6:08 pm (2 months ago)

This is freak out time for me. I will turn to Balanced Blends, and the company is working on a smaller grind for its raw cat food. My cat who needs raw doesn’t have his bottom teeth on both sides, and doesn’t chew his food well.

• lyn
      October 15, 2018 at 7:18 pm (2 months ago)

I also feed my cats Hound & Gatos duck canned food, and duck is currently not available because demand for duck meat exceeds supply. All the other L.I.D. duck canned food has pea protein, and one cat is allergic to that.