Mews and Nips: Senior Cat Adoptions are a Win-Win for Cats and Seniors

senior-cat-senior-adopter

A couple of weeks ago, we featured a tortie who lives with her 103-year-old human in an assisted living facility. Today’s story of 20-year-old Daisy, who was adopted by 94-year-old Jan, a resident at Covington Senior Living in Orem, UT, is equally heartwarming. Jan had always considered cats family, and missed them when she moved to an assisted living facility. Covington Senior Living not only approved the adoption, they even said they’d make it easy for Jan, who has mobility issues, by feeding the cat and cleaning the litter box daily for a small monthly fee. Now that’s a model that should be duplicated at every assisted living facility in the world! Read more about Daisy and Jan on Best Friend’s blog.

If you missed any of the stories featured on the Conscious Cat this week, here’s a recap: on Monday, we explored the connection between stress and illness in cats, on Tuesday, we reviewed the Jackson Galaxy Comfy Cat Napper, on Wednesday, I recapped a fantastic weekend at Cat Camp NYC, and on Friday, I reviewed Weather Menders, a climate fiction novel that involves a cat who saves the world. And don’t forget to enter our giveaway to win an Assisi Loop!

Today’s video compilation of cats who want to cuddle will leave you with a big smile on your face – enjoy!

Have a great weekend!

Photo via Best Friends

contribute banner ad

10 Comments on Mews and Nips: Senior Cat Adoptions are a Win-Win for Cats and Seniors

1. Sean
    May 13, 2018 at 12:56 pm (5 months ago)

Definitely agree with you on this win-win! There are cats that need looking after and they be great companions for people. It’s great to see this assisted living facility is making it easier for this adoption to take place. I think there are so many cases where people just need a little helping hand from others to sort something, like adopting a cat, out.

2. ellen beck
    May 13, 2018 at 12:16 am (5 months ago)

I am all for senior cats being adopted to seniors. Senior cats are so often overlooked by the typical adopter and stand a higher chance of being euthanized .
    For this facility who allows it, the cats would bring great comfort to those who want to interact. In some facilities they have ‘resident’ cats who live on premises and are cared for by residents or staff.
    I am only in my 50s but have plans in place both for my personal cats should they outlive me and also for a feral colony to be maintained ( they happen to be seniors too for the most part) It is in both my will and my husbands will and several people are aware of our wishes.

3. Tom
    May 12, 2018 at 11:22 pm (5 months ago)

This is a subject that I have been giving a lot of thought to of late. I am working on (planning stages) a model non-profit that serves as the facilitator that would connect seniors to adopt a senior cat. We would work closely with local cat shelters to provide the cats. As the facilitator, we would screen potential adopters, set up their homes with all of the necessary amenities associated with caring for their kitty, provide the services of a visiting assistant to help with feeding (if necessary) and cleaning the litter box. The frequency of the visits is tbd, but I’m thinking a 15 minute visit every other day. Most importantly, the organization would provide for any veterinary care, as well as taking temporary, or permanent care of the kitty in the event that the owner is no longer able to care for it. I would hope that the providing shelter may be willing to take the cat back when this situation arises, assuming that no other family members are interested in adopting their parent’s kitty.
    I’m 70 years old myself and I know this all sounds somewhat optimistic, but please don’t be critical of me. I’m looking to you all for your ideas and hopefully your support. I don’t have the financial side of this plan as yet, so if 501c animal related funding, grants, etc. is something that you know a little about, please tell us about it.
    I’ve been running a successful business for 30 years, but this is what I want to do when I finally retire.

May 13, 2018 at 5:48 am (5 months ago)

What a fantastic idea, Tom! If you find the right rescue to partner with, I could see this taking off big time.

4. Mary Kennedy
    May 12, 2018 at 1:28 pm (5 months ago)

A terrific article, a wonderful idea!

5. Bob
    May 12, 2018 at 2:22 am (5 months ago)

A great idea and lovely story, but older people must prepare for the possibility that their cats will outlive them. I have seen too many situations in which older people died or became too ill to take care of their pets. Pets who have lived for years with the same person are often very confused when they’re given up to a shelter. I advise seniors to make clear plans for their pets if they can no longer care for them. It’s a little easier for me to do this because I’m 76 myself!

• Lana
      May 12, 2018 at 7:41 am (5 months ago)

I share the same concern, Bob. While I understand Ingrid’s argument that we all have to prepare for it, the chances your cat will outlive you are greatly increased when you’re 103 vs. 43.

All pet parents could benefit from some type of emergency plan for “What If” scenarios. Think, what if you are in a car accident or something happens and know one knows your pet is alone at home. What happens if you die, etc… ?

I created an emergency contact card that I keep in my wallet next to my I.D. I also left care instructions for my cats on my dining table. I probably should let a neighbor know what to do if they don’t see me for a few days, but I haven’t gotten to that point yet. It’s hard to plan for every event. But in the case of seniors, I don’t know how you mitigate against them getting attached to an owner that dies and then they have to be re-homed. However, it’s probably no different than pet owners who surrender their pets because they can’t afford to care for them or are put in shelters for a number of reasons. Either way the pet has no choices and they are subject to human will.

May 12, 2018 at 9:34 am (5 months ago)

It sounds like you’re well prepared, Lana. I realize that adopting pets to seniors, despite overwhelming evidence that pets bring amazing benefits to the elderly, can be a controversial topic. I believe that each situation needs to be addressed individually, rather than with policies that hurt adoptable cats and the seniors that need the love of a feline friend in their lives.

• Lana
          May 13, 2018 at 6:58 am (5 months ago)

The benefits sound exponential. Can’t argue with that. I just wish all seniors had people around to help them care for their pets or even do periodic check ups to make sure they’re ok.

Thank you for having this forum, Ingrid, for people to share their feelings and to gain insight on important issues like this.