Mews and Nips: Why Cats Knead You With Their Paws

Having a cat knead you with their paws, also known as “making biscuits,” is one of the sweetest feelings in the world. Science Alert explored this topic earlier this week, and came up with a number of theories as to why cats do this. Regardless of what the real reason is, no matter how many times Allegra and Ruby do this, it melts my heart every time. Visit Science Alert to read the full article.

If you missed any of the stories featured on the Conscious Cat this week, here’s a recap: on Monday, we explained what whisker stress is and how it manifests, on Tuesday, we featured Darwin’s raw cat food home delivery service, on Wednesday, we ran the first in a three-part series titled Saying Goodbye to Hedda, on what it is like to be faced with the euthanasia decision, on Thursday, we introduced you to a fun new web series titled Real Cat Lives: Meow Moments, and on Friday, we explored whether cats can tell time.

Some cats don’t just knead their humans or their bedding, they make “air biscuits,” as the sweet kitty in todays video demonstrates:

Have a great weekend!

contribute banner ad

6 Comments on Mews and Nips: Why Cats Knead You With Their Paws

1. Sean
    March 11, 2018 at 11:40 am (7 days ago)

I enjoyed the post about why cats knead and it really is lovely, but sometimes I wish their claws weren’t so sharp!

2. Deb Barnes - Zee and Zoey
    March 10, 2018 at 3:05 pm (1 week ago)

Considering I wrote a book with the title, Makin’ Biscuits – Weird Cat Habits and the Even Weirder Habits of the Humans Who Love Them, cats making biscuits is one of my favorite things ever!

3. Katarina
    March 10, 2018 at 12:13 pm (1 week ago)

My cat kneads only its bedding, after I have groomed here and she has been purring very laudly … then she rubs my head and afterwards she starts rubbing my bedding or hers, but she never needs on me. Why could be that? Does it mean that she is not that keen on my. She is olmost 3 years only with agressive behaviour and has been living with me in an indoor apartment for 1 year. I adopted her in animal shelter one year ago and was told that she bites. Anyway her biting seems to be less and less problematic, but I can´t figure it out why she kneads only on bedding? Can somebody explain that to me?

4. Brian
    March 10, 2018 at 9:25 am (1 week ago)

I have had a couple cats that do this. I love to watch them do this too. These cats would often be the cats that would knead me too.

5. Janine
    March 10, 2018 at 8:42 am (1 week ago)

Kneading is definitely one of the sweetest things ever.

March 10, 2018 at 8:19 am (1 week ago)

Love when cats knead. Have a great weekend.