A Tribute to Velouria

velouria-jackson-galaxy

Earlier this week, Jackson Galaxy had to say goodbye to his beloved Velouria. Velouria was a part of Jackson’s life for 25 years. She was there when Jackson first started working with cats, and she was a part of Jackson’s cat journey for all those years.

“For almost half my life, we have been a team,” wrote Jackson on his Facebook page. “She has been with me literally from the beginning of my cat journey; it can even be said that she was the beginning.”

In a 2012 interview with Jackson, he told me about how this beautiful tabby girl came into his life. Jackson had just started working at the Humane Society of Boulder Valley. He had recently lost his beloved boy Grolsch, who was rescued from a barn in Iowa in the middle of a blizzard, to FIP. One day, someone left a box with two kittens outside the shelter’s door. One of the kittens looked just like Grolsch.

“No way,” Jackson told me during that interview. “I didn’t want to adopt a kitten. That’s just not a cool thing to do when you work at a shelter, and there are all these older cats looking for homes.” But Velouria reminded him so much of Grolsch that he realized that resistance was futile. When he adopted her, he thought she was a kitten, but she was actually somewhere between one and three years old. She was a tiny cat all her life, weighing in at barely six pounds.

“The first time I touched this cat, the softness of her coat had me singing her name, Velouria, from one of my favorite bands, The Pixies,” wrote Jackson on his tribute to Velouria on Facebook.

Jackson_Galaxy

Photo by Susan Weingartner

During that same 2012 interview, I asked Jackson to tell me one favorite thing about each of his fur kids. This is what he said about Velouria:  “Her resilience. She’s shown me how to teach others that a cat can change and go from victim to being an amazing, confident cat.”

Velouria will live on in Jackson’s work, and, in light of the above quote, it seems more fitting than ever that she was chosen to be on the cover of Jackson’s newest book, Total Cat Mojo.

Total-Cat-Mojo-Jackson-Galaxy

My heart goes out to Jackson. It’s always hard to lose a cat, but losing a “soul cat” like Velouria is devastating. When a cat shared your life for as long as Velouria was a part of Jackson’s, it takes time to find one’s bearings again. And while 25 years may seem like a long life for a cat, we all know that no amount of time is ever long enough for that kind of love.

Rest easy, sweet Velouria.

Photo at top of post by Kate Benjamin

24 Comments on A Tribute to Velouria

1. ron
    March 3, 2018 at 4:52 pm (1 year ago)

I lost my cat last wk to squamous cell carcinoma she was 12 yrs old. she suffered tremendously for the past 2 days before euthanasia I blame myself that I let her go that long rip tinkerbell & velouria. oh by the way, I too, have cancer.

2. jmuhj
    March 1, 2018 at 2:16 pm (1 year ago)

Jackson Galaxy has done and continues to do SO much for cats and kittens in need, and Velouria was one of those kittens. The bond they shared was unique and precious, as is the bond each of us share with our beloveds. <3 ((((((((^^)))))))) <3 Fly free, whole, healthy, and forever Cherished, precious angel Velouria — watch over your beloveds here below until reunited in due time. Our heartfelt condolences to Jackson and his family for their loss.

3. Sharon
    February 28, 2018 at 7:55 pm (1 year ago)

As I read this beautiful tribute to Velouria, my eyes welled up with tears. I feel your heartache, Jackson, for I, too, have experienced this type of heart-wrenching loss. Velouria was beautiful and so lucky to have had such a loving parent as you. I imagine her chasing butterflies right now in a grassy field. Did you know that butterflies are messengers between angels in Heaven and all of us on earth? I have a feeling Velouria will try to capture one gently in her paws so she can whisper a message that will be carried back to you to let you know that, even though she misses you, she is happy and thrilled she was able to share her life with you. She will be waiting to greet you at the Rainbow Bridge. I pray that all the wonderful memories of your times spent with her will bring comfort to you. Remember – Velouria is just one memory away. There is a special place in Heaven for you, Jackson. Thank you for all you do for our furry children. <3

4. Lucia Reitman
    February 28, 2018 at 4:48 pm (1 year ago)

Jackson, i;m sooo sorry for your loss velouria will be with you for ever , and she will carry you through . i have been there and they do live big foot prints in our hearts, saw your show on tv..it was pretty amazing your have been send to this world by God to help Cats in need of love, kindness and compassion.. your little girl will be with you always ..God bless you

5. Lucia Reitman
    February 28, 2018 at 4:30 pm (1 year ago)

soooo sorry Jackson, for the loss of your precious Velouria, I know your pain. but her love and the great time you spend together will carry you through . you have been send by God , to help the Cats that are in need of care, love,and compassion. i love cats have adopted 5 from the while and they are doing well and happy .saw you show on tv it is pretty amazing you born for it .. the memory of Velouria will be with you for ever. God bless you.

6. Karen Lucas
    February 28, 2018 at 3:56 pm (1 year ago)

So very sorry. One of my kitties died last month and it does leave a kitty sized hole in your heart. Hugs

7. silvia shanahan
    February 28, 2018 at 2:44 pm (1 year ago)

This is something that always comforted me when a loved one passes……

From John O”Donohue’s book “Eternal Echoes” about loved ones departing.
    From his chapter on Absence:

Everyone who leaves your life opens a subtle trail of loss that still connects you with them. When you think of them, miss them, and want to be with them, your heart journeys out along that trail to where they now are.

There are whole regions of absence in every life. Losing a friend is the most frequent experience of absence. When you open yourself to friendship, you create a unique and warm space between you. The tone and shape of this space is something you share with no one else. Your friend struck a note in the chamber of your heart that no one else could reach.

The departure of the friend leaves this space sore with loss, some innocence within you is unwilling or unable to accept that one you gathered so close is now gone. It is the longing for the departed friend that makes the absence acute. Absence haunts you and makes your belonging sore.

8. Clara
    February 28, 2018 at 2:12 pm (1 year ago)

I am so sorry for the loss of your beloved beautiful cat girl. She was meant to find you.
    No loss is more painful than that of a pet.
    Grieve your own way. You are loved my many humans, probably by more cats.
    Velouria is around you. She will make her presence known to you soon. May you find comfort in memories.

9. Allison
    February 28, 2018 at 11:40 am (1 year ago)

My condolences to Jackson Galaxy on his loss of Velouria. She was a long-time companion and changed his life. The grief will be intense and I feel for Jackson. Yes, it is fitting that she was chosen to be on the cover of Jackson’s newest book. Thanks for sharing the news and writing this tribute.

10. janet
    February 28, 2018 at 9:54 am (1 year ago)

So sorry for your loss,I adopted a then 13yr old Russian blue who had lost his owner and was put out on the streets with no claws to defend himself,I was asked to foster him and fell in love with him. he is now 17 with feline thyroidism and I treasure each day with him as I know the end will come and each day is a blessing for us both as I am 84..I also have a small colony of feral cats under my care,all fixed and happy..I love your show and to ALL new cat owners I always tell them to watch and learn from you. Bless you and the work you do for all the four footed friends..

11. Steven Howard
    February 28, 2018 at 9:30 am (1 year ago)

I want to offer my condolences to Jackson and everyone else who has loat a beloved pet.

12. Janine
    February 28, 2018 at 9:26 am (1 year ago)

My heart goes out to Jackson. Velouria was a beautiful girl and was such a huge part of his life for a long time. You write a beautiful tribute for her too.

13. Connie Fischer
    February 28, 2018 at 8:51 am (1 year ago)

My heart is so sad for the loss of your precious, Jackson. When I read your book, TOTAL CAT MOJO, I learned so much and was especially taken with the love you showed her on cover of the book. No matter how strong we are and how much we know it’s the right thing to do, saying goodbye is by far one of the hardest things we ever have to face. May her beautiful heart and memories sustain you. God bless you.

February 28, 2018 at 8:48 am (1 year ago)

I was sorry to hear about his kitty. Sending purrs and hugs.

15. Angie Henry
    February 28, 2018 at 8:19 am (1 year ago)

So sorry for your loss Jackson, What sweet memories you will have of Velouria, you will never forget her,she will always be in your heart,when I lost 3 of my cats at the age of 20,19 and 18,I just kept thinking, Oh what a beautiful life they lived,never hungry,always so comfortable,they were so lucky and I was so lucky to have them in my life.I know Velouria was lucky to have you.Bless your heart for being so caring.

16. Brian Frum
    February 28, 2018 at 8:18 am (1 year ago)

That’s very sad. Purrs and hugs to Mr. Galaxy from all of us.

17. Lois
    February 28, 2018 at 7:47 am (1 year ago)

Im so very sorry to hear of Jackson Galaxy “s loss.My heart goes out to him n his precious cat.I have a 9yr & 7 month old cat.His name is snowball.Ive lost cats before n I know the hurt.As time goes on the pain easys .Never goes away but it easys as time goes on.

18. Deb Barnes - Zee and Zoey
    February 28, 2018 at 7:35 am (1 year ago)

I too remember being introduced to Velouria back in 2012 when I interviewed Jackson prior to season 2 of My Cat From Hell and for his debut book, Cat Daddy. I’m so very sorry to hear the news of her passing. What an incredible cat and what a beautiful relationship they shared. May she be at peace…bless her precious little soul.

19. Ann
    February 28, 2018 at 5:37 am (1 year ago)

…….sigh!!! ……. I know there are many more out there besides myself, that feel Your pain and that hollow emptiness that just sucks the life out of You, when one of our beloved fur baby’s cross over The Rainbow Bridge. Especially after having spent so many years together……..There are no words, to even being to express how much empathy I feel for You Jackson.
    I am crying as I am writing this, having gone through losses like that myself and also knowing that my senior fur baby’s are not going to be here that much longer……..
    If only we could stop time, for just a little bit, for one more head butt, one more look in those beautiful eyes and to hear and feel the purring of our best friend and trusty companion……… But we can’t!
    The loss is so devastating that we just feel like there’s no way we can go on, but in time and after many gallons of tears, it will get a little bit better. (((HUGS)))
    There’s a quote that goes something like this; Don’t cry because it’s over. Smile because it happened!!! That is the only thing I can think of to say, that may comfort You a bit. She came into Your life and spent a long, long time with You and You must know that NO ONE but YOU was her human soulmate.
    She will forever be with You in spirit and in Your heart and she thanks You for being You and for taking her home with You that one day 25 years ago. It was ment to be just so, until You meet again on the “Other side”
    where Your Velouria will be greeting You as if she never left.
    Rest in Peace Sweet Velouria and Thank You for helping make Jackson into such an Awesome Human!
    Love and Blessings

• JBinTX
      February 28, 2018 at 8:27 am (1 year ago)

Beautifully written. I couldn’t agree more.

20. Elaine Herndon at "Flowers Saving Homeless Pets"
    February 28, 2018 at 5:35 am (1 year ago)

Thanks for sharing this wonderful story that is a great tribute to your sweet kitty (I pray she is now with the Lord in Heaven & I pray for you at this sad time). I am sorry for your loss of Velouria (& is a Great Name!) but she had a great life with you & knew she was loved- & you are continuing to love kitties & letting other people know how special they are & how to properly care for them.- Thank You!- Elaine (a shelter volunteer with cats- also rescuer, feral cat rescuer/ provider- owner of “Flowers Saving Homeless Pets ” where I make donations for adoption fees & care).

21. Michaelene
    February 28, 2018 at 4:22 am (1 year ago)

Sorry for your loss, Jackson. Our cat-friends leave gaping holes in our lives with their passing. Thanks you for taking such good care of her for all those years.

22. Will Newcomb
    February 28, 2018 at 3:10 am (1 year ago)

Blessings during this hard time.

Thank you Velouria for being an inspiration to Jackson.

23. Amy
    February 28, 2018 at 1:32 am (1 year ago)

What a wonderful, moving tribute to a sweet, beautiful, loving kitty! I feel for Jackson.