Mews and Nips: The Tortie Who Owns an Istanbul Metro Station

taksim-kedi-metro-station-cat

You may have seen the viral video of a tortoiseshell cat who was sitting at the exit of a metro station escalator without being bothered even one little bit by all the people passing by her. It turns out that the cat has made the Taksim metro station her home for at least the last three years and is a beloved fixture around the station. For more wonderful photos of the gorgeous cat, visit the Anadolu Kedisi blog. This cat, and the video, are a testament to how well cats in Turkey are taken care of, something that was shown so beautifully in the documentary film Kedi.

If you missed any of the stories featured on the Conscious Cat this week, here’s a recap: on Monday, Dr. Lynn Bahr answered your cat health questions, on Tuesday, we reviewed the Jackson Galaxy Donut Cat Bed, on Wednesday, Mikel Delgado answered your cat behavior questions, and on Thursday we featured an adorable set of cat towels. And don’t forget to enter our giveaway to win a Litter Genie Litter Disposal System!

I came across this older video of Ruby chattering away and I thought I’d share it with you again – it always makes me smile when she does this (and she still does it.)

Have a great weekend!

Photo via Anadolu Kedisi blog

contribute banner ad

7 Comments on Mews and Nips: The Tortie Who Owns an Istanbul Metro Station

1. Sean
    February 28, 2018 at 5:48 pm (2 years ago)

I wish all metro and tube stations had a resident cat!

2. Bettye Hoffman
    February 25, 2018 at 12:17 am (2 years ago)

For the lady who’s tortie died – I am SO, SO very sorry. I know what it’s lke to losea loved pet – our black Lab died 2 weeks ago today. Fifteen years old – very old for a Lab. We have 2 more dogs and 5 cats plus a neiborhood visitor every morning for breakfast. They are all wonderful creatures from God. He loves them, too. There are others wno need good homes. Enjoy!

3. Amy
    February 24, 2018 at 1:43 pm (2 years ago)

Ingrid, thank you for sharing the pictures/videos of your adorable kitties. I also appreciate the information that you share; especially the blogs with the cat behaviorist and veterinarian. Your latest share about the turkish subway kitty was so beautiful. I just joined that group because I love the way they feel about cats.

February 25, 2018 at 6:15 am (2 years ago)

I’m so glad you’re enjoying our site, Amy!

4. Johnny
    February 24, 2018 at 11:49 am (2 years ago)

Oh my gosh this is just too sweet <3

5. Maria T
    February 24, 2018 at 4:18 am (2 years ago)

Having watched the movie “Kedi” just a couple of weeks ago, I have to say it is amazing. Me and my husband were astonished by how it was filmed – it actually felt, at times, that you are a cat amongst the others. I visited the city of Bodrum, Turkey, in June 2015, and I was really homesick for my cat (Kajsa). Then, at this tiny hotel I stayed in, the owner (who lived in an apartment in the same building) had three cats, allowed to wander around in the garden and in the restaurant. I became friends with two of them, a one-eyed ginger/tabby Tom that wanted pieces of my sandwich every breakfast, and a gorgeous long haired Calico that let me rub her belly. So my experience is too that Turkey is a cat friendly country. Love the video of Ruby chattering, my Dad’s cat could make that sound for hours, but that was when she was sitting in the window watching all the birds fly by.

February 24, 2018 at 6:25 am (2 years ago)

I loved hearing your firsthand experience of the cats in turkey, Maria.