Ask the Cat Doc With Dr. Lynn Bahr

Ask-the-Cat-Doc-with-Dr.-Lynn-Bahr

I’m super excited to announce that Dr. Lynn Bahr will be taking over our Ask the Vet segment starting this month!

Dr. Bahr graduated from the University of Georgia College of Veterinary Medicine in 1991. Unlike most veterinarians, she did not grow up knowing that she would become a veterinarian. “It was a cat who got me interested in the practice and I am forever grateful to him,” said Dr. Bahr. She met Rudolph on July 4th, 1980 and her life was changed forever. “He was a unique kitty with an adorable pink nose—it was pale when he slept and then bright red after play. It was my love for Rudolph that inspired me to join the feline veterinary profession. Helping cats and their owners is how I honor his memory.”

Over the course of her veterinary career, Dr. Bahr found that the lifestyle of cats has changed dramatically. “In the beginning years of my practice, most cats resided primarily outdoors. This was good in terms of exercise, sunshine, and enrichment, but unfortunately I saw and treated many cases of infectious diseases, wounds and trauma. These days many cats live strictly indoors. This is good for keeping cats safe, and preventing many communicable diseases, but instead I now treat them for a myriad of behavioral and inflammatory conditions such as depression, cystitis, diabetes, and obesity – all conditions that can be attributed, at least to some extent, to their change in lifestyle.”

As the lifestyle of cats has changed, so did Dr. Bahr’s client education. In addition to finding medical solutions, she also encourages owners to enrich their home environments so that their cats can live long, happy, and healthy lives. “I always recommend that cats get exercise, fresh air, healthy food, lots of play, and sunshine. The key is to keep indoor cats stimulated both mentally and physically by bringing the outdoors inside.”

dezi-roo

Dezi and Roo

This new understanding led Dr. Bahr to combine her passion for strengthening the human-animal bond with her veterinary background and knowledge of what animals need and want to start her own solution-based cat product company, Dezi & Roo, inspired by two cats of the same names.

For more information about Dezi & Roo and their unique and innovative cat toys, please visit their website.

Leave your questions for Dr. Bahr in a comment

Once a month, Dr. Bahr will answer as many of your question as she can, and you’ll be able to leave new questions for her for the following month.

Embrace banner with seal

29 Comments on Ask the Cat Doc With Dr. Lynn Bahr

1. Cheryl Moline
    July 10, 2018 at 9:47 am (1 year ago)

I have a fixed male cat that was a great cat. But now he no longer wants to pee in the litter box. I have tried everything cat boxes in almost everywhere in the house cleaned everyday. I do not understand why he is doing this and likes to pee in my kitchen in one stop, so I put a litter box there and he pees in front of it. I have run out of ideas with this cat. My husband wants to put him down and I don’t. PLEASE HELP ME

• DENNIS MORAN
      July 11, 2018 at 10:34 am (1 year ago)

CHANGE THE TYPE OF LITTER CHANGE THE BOX PUT THE BOX IN A DIFFERENT ROOM. CHECK THE CAT FOR ARTHRITIS OR A UTI. DO YOU HAVE OTHER CATS ? OR OUTSIDE CATS WHO MARK YOU HOUSE OUTSIDE?

• Cheryl Moline
        July 11, 2018 at 10:50 am (1 year ago)

I have changed the litter. I have had to the vet and have done every test. I have changed the spot of the box. All this is no change of what he does. He likes one spot in the kitchen cabinets. As I do not have outdoor cats and have not seen any around the house but not sure I am not there all the time. HELP

• DENNIS MORAN
          July 11, 2018 at 10:57 am (1 year ago)

DO YOU HAVE A MOUSE . DO YOU HAVE A DOG WHO EATS IN THE KITCHEN . LAST DO NOT LET CAT IN THE KITCHEN.

• Cheryl Moline
            July 11, 2018 at 11:03 am (1 year ago)

As it is warm out I don’t think there is a mouse in the house and yes there is a very old dog and he eats in the livingroom As not to let him in the kitchen I have a very open floor plan no can do.

• DENNIS MORAN
            July 11, 2018 at 1:07 pm (1 year ago)

DO YOU HAVE A NEW BABY OR ANY OTHER NEW ADDITIONS OF PEOPLE OR ANIMALS IN THE HOUSE. HAS SOMEONE IN THE HOUSEHOLD DRASTICLY CHANGED THIER ROUTINE. WHERE THEY ARE NOT HOME NOW. OR IS THERE CONSTRUCTION OR LOUD NOISES OUT SIDE CONSTANTLY

2. Connie
    January 27, 2018 at 4:24 pm (2 years ago)

I have a 8 year old cat that was a stray. He has been a great cat. About a year and a half ago he started having issues with URI’s. He will get antibiotics and they go away while he is on the medication but about 2 weeks after it is done he starts back up again. He responds well the the antibiotics and is back to his old self every time after taking them. Could this be allergies causing this since it just suddenly came on after he was fine for 6.5 years? We have moved in that time and I did switch out the cat food because the old one was upsetting my other cats stomach. I am at a loss and the vet doesn’t seem to know what to do with him either. He can’t keep taking antibiotics all the time. He shakes his head from time to time also. It is obviously bacterial since he responds to the antibiotics so could something be trapping that in his nose and then it turns to a bacterial infection? So confused what to do with him to help him.

• DENNIS MORAN
      July 11, 2018 at 10:31 am (1 year ago)

CHECK THE SHAKING FOR EAR MITE OR INFLAMATION COULD BE SERIOUS

3. Catherine Fort
    January 19, 2018 at 7:50 pm (2 years ago)

Welcome to the community, Dr. Bahr! Many of my friends are posting on Facebook a warning about diffusing essential oils around cats. Is this really a concern? I have been using them but want to know if I should stop.

4. Darlene Scheuermann
    January 19, 2018 at 4:49 pm (2 years ago)

I have a cat that is on limited diet because of allergies and should be on Royal canin So diet because of crystals. What can I feed her to address both of her problems. Thanks for any ideas you may have

5. LARK UNDERWOOD
    January 18, 2018 at 9:49 pm (2 years ago)

I have 2 American Tabby rescues. My 3-year old neutered male developed a UTI 2 years ago and was put on Royal Canin ISO prescription kibble. His 3-year old neutered housemate has never had one, but I was told the food would be fine for her as well. They love the food, and when I put down the occasional wet for her, he ignores it–he also ignores the Royal Canin ISO wet food. They have 3 water sources: a fountain, a gravity feeder, and a bowl which contains water-soluble fiber (for hairball travel).
    He seems to have spurts (no pun intended!) of vomiting. Fewer are hairball-related since I added fiber to the water and safflower oil to the kibble. The vomiting may also be emotion-/stress-related as the female (9 lbs lighter than he!) can be a bossy queen sometimes.
    So: 2 questions:
    1. I was told when we started on the ISO kibble that it was for the life of my male cat. Is this true? Is there no other food (raw, wet, non-prescription) he can safely & healthfully eat? Is it truly safe for my female?
    2. Should I worry about the vomiting?
    OK, 4 questions….
    Thank you for any insights and suggestions you may be able to offer.

• Kathy
      January 20, 2018 at 11:23 am (2 years ago)

I have a 7 year old Maine Coon cross female who has had UTI issues most of her life. After many diet adjustment attempts, we’ve settled on Purina One Urinary Tract kibble, and one Dasequin capsule daily mixed with a tablespoon of wet food. The Dasequin is glucosamine, and cats have receptors for this in their bladders. It helps keep the bladder lining soft, which helps with crystal formation. She is doing very well with this combination, and my other resident and foster cats are thriving on the Purina kibble as well. Dasequin is available on Amazon, 3 month supply for $25.

6. Yelena Aronson
    January 17, 2018 at 3:46 pm (2 years ago)

Hello Dr.Bahr! I adopted Tulip 7 years old cat 6 month ago, and within 2 weeks after adoption she had a blockage and got a surgery. During the surgery they discover one inlarge lymph node and took a biopsy, the test result came back with possible lymphoma. We didn’t do chemo. She is very skinny 6.390 LB and she still loosing weight because she is not getting enough calories since we removed her from a dry food. We tried several brands canned food, most of them she is not eating and some of them give her diarrhea and vomiting. I also tried a homemade food, cooked for her, but she eats one day and very next day she doesn’t want to. No help from vets, we seen 6 different doctors and when i asked them what should I feed her, they saying you can try this or you can try that. So far nothing is working. I need something, that not causing diarrhea or vomiting and give her enough calories, all high calories supplements contain oil and this is not good for us. Maybe you have some ideas, I would be very grateful if you could give us some advice.

• DENNIS MORAN
      July 11, 2018 at 10:41 am (1 year ago)

TRY FUSSY CAT TUNA AND MUSSLES,OR WITH SHRIMP, VERY MOIST WITH REAR FISH . ALL MY OLDER CATS AS THEY HAD ISSUES. WOULD EAT THIS AND LOVED IT. EASIER TO DIGEST. DOES NOT SMELL LIKE THOSE PATTE’ TYPE CAT FOODS. NO HARD FOOD TOO MUCH VOMITTING

7. Elisha Abrell
    January 17, 2018 at 2:35 pm (2 years ago)

My 4 year old male Kitty constantly bites the back of the neck of my 6 year old female Kitty. Why does Kacey do this to Kieran? I yell at him to stop. Which he usually does immediately. He knows I don’t want him to do this. Is it a control thing? He also always wants to lick her and sometimes me. He also sometimes bites me. But rarely hurts me. Kieran seemingly yelps in pain! I don’t want him to hurt her. WHY does he do it and HOW can I get him to stop? Thank you! =^..^=

8. Nora
    January 17, 2018 at 11:12 am (2 years ago)

One of my cats is allergic to everything, but its symptoms are rodent ulcer on the upper lid of his mouth. I have been giving him allergy shots for 6 months with no impact. I’ve tried to give him Atopica but both treatments are ruining my relationship with him. He will run away from me when I approach for fear I am going to give him medicine. Is there anything else I can do? Neither treatment seems to help. What does help is a blast of Steroids. That seems to reduce the ulcers nicely, at least for a while. Wouldn’t a blast of Steriods every Quarter work just as well. If there is a cancer risk from shots of Steriods, would every quarter still present a risk?

9. Lynn pountney
    January 15, 2018 at 11:18 pm (2 years ago)

My question for the doctor is one of my cats has cysts on her kidneys and she has arthritis which some days you can see also a couple other older ones also have arthritis. I have read that the assissi loop (sorry not sure of the spelling) suppose to be good for inflamation. May l have yr opinion plse.

10. Margaret Babcock
    January 15, 2018 at 9:56 pm (2 years ago)

What great news that Dr. Bahrain will be the new vet. I have no questions for her now can only say her cats toys and advice are a delight and very insightful! Plus the customer service that her company provides is by far the best EVER! Looking forward to reading her Q/A.

• Margaret Babcock
      January 15, 2018 at 10:03 pm (2 years ago)

Autocorrect misspelled Dr. Behr name in my previous comment.

11. Jeanette
    January 15, 2018 at 4:25 pm (2 years ago)

My 16 year old girl is going through chemotherapy for a second time now after she came out of a 14 month remission. The small cell lymphoma seems to be mostly in her liver and she had two visibly involved lobes removed when they biopsied the remaining part. Visually the rest of the GI tract ‘looks’ good. We’re so impressed how easily our cat takes oral chemo – you wouldn’t even know she’s on it if you weren’t told and she’s still fully involved with daily life and very lovable. My question is this, is there something I can do to support her liver health, especially now where the body will be trying to regrow liver tissue and the chemo being cleared through the same organ?

12. Linda
    January 15, 2018 at 11:13 am (2 years ago)

My 2 1/2 year old male neutered cat is so fussy it’s like he doesn’t want to eat . He is a flamepoint Siamese with the very long and slender body. Have tried everything food wise and he seems to eat very little yet not losing weight. Should I be concerned?

13. Janice Brooks
    January 15, 2018 at 10:52 am (2 years ago)

My cat, Cosmo is my shadow, he follows me everywhere unless he is napping somewhere in the house and then I’m quiet not to wake him. We play throughout the day. He even comes in with me and lays down when I’m in the bathroom or wants in when I’m taking a bath. He also sleeps next to me or sometimes above my head which I don’t let him stay there very long due to possible attacks.
    My problem is he will attack me when I’m sitting in the chair with him laying above my head on back of chair. All of a sudden he will attack my head and when I get up his eyes are solid black and he is an attack mode. He can hit the head hard and can also draw blood. He will also attack me in other ways. He does draw blood, leaves scratches and I do have scars from these attacks. He soon comes out of this “mood” or whatever you want to call it.
    He doesn’t do this to my husband but has tried to bite a few times. He will lay next to him or climb on his chest and lay down once in awhile. They do have playtime when my husband is home.
    We got him before he was a year old. He was from a litter from my daughter’s cat, born in the garage. Was an outdoor cat but became an indoor fixed cat. We love him dearly and he can be loving but we don’t love his sudden mood changes. I do use a calming spray on the back of my chair, on top and will give him one or two calming treats once in awhile and they do help.
    Is something medically wrong with our cat or do we just have a moody cat.
    Thank you for your time.

14. Michael
    January 15, 2018 at 10:21 am (2 years ago)

Obesity in cats is a huge problem and I believe my question can help many many people. I’m also feeding canned food and have fed him raw & freeze dried raw as well. I’m currently feeding him one if the best if not the best cat food on the market that starts with a Orijen but the protein content is very high which I thought would help him lose weight. If I could seen him off the dry I would but I have a female that eats kibble and has been for the past 9-10 yrs before I knew any better about what we should feed our cats. I’m thinking about going back to Natures Variety healthy weight. Please help this has been a long hard road for me figuring out the right food & what they like and will eat.

• kay von bogenberg
      January 19, 2018 at 7:43 am (2 years ago)

hello
      would appreciate being updated on anything relevant to happy,
      healthy cat! thanks in advance
      kvb
      paris, france

15. Judy Cervizzi
    January 15, 2018 at 6:30 am (2 years ago)

I don’t believe in yearly vaccinations. What is the absolute must for vaccinations once the initial is done?

• Tanya
      February 19, 2018 at 11:19 am (1 year ago)

This is of interest to me. I don’t want to over vaccinate but we go out of the country with my cat a lot and there are requirements. I’ve also heard that the 3 year Rabies vaccine is the same dosage as the 1 year. Is this true?

February 19, 2018 at 1:32 pm (1 year ago)

I’m sure Dr. Bahr will address this, but I thought I’d jump in to answer your question about the 3-year vs. 1-years rabies vaccine. I’m assuming you’re asking about the non-adjuvanted Purevax rabies vaccine, which is the only rabies vaccine cats should ever be given. The antigen load in the 3-year version is higher than in the 1-year version. The consensus among veterinarians who have used it appears to be that while there seems to be a slightly higher risk of a systemic reaction than with the 1-year product due to the higher antigen load, the amount of reactivity at the injection site does not appear to be any different. Some vets report a slightly higher incidence of injection site soreness and malaise for 24-48 hours following the injection as compared to the 1-year product.

16. Barbara Wilde
    January 15, 2018 at 5:21 am (2 years ago)

Hello,
    I’m wondering if there is a nontoxic way to deal with fleas. On a routine visit, my vet found a single flea excrement in her comb and insisted on applying Advocate (Bayer pharma). My cat became visibly sick immediately, with drooling, major behaviorchanges, and complete listless ess. I will never again allow this orsimilar products near my cat. What are the alternatives? We have never had a flea infestation here.

17. Hanna
    January 15, 2018 at 4:41 am (2 years ago)

My cat vomits too often I think. We feed her applaws dry food and 1 can almo nature wet food. Some periodes she vomits every week or 2-3 times and month. Is this normal? Is real vomit, no hairballs